2015-2016 Post-Doc Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from any of these sites?: Eastern Colorado VA, South Texas VA, or U. of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center

Heard back from Eastern Colorado VA this week, they sent an email out on Tuesday.

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed them asking about application review status. They said they had a staff meeting yesterday to decide who they would extend offers to and would be making phone calls towards the end of this week.
Thanks! Any chance you've heard already? I'm still waiting....and praying lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Any chance you've heard already? I'm still waiting....and praying lol

No! I haven't, which is making me very sad. It's Friday, and haven't heard from them so I'm assuming this means I may have been rejected?

No! I haven't, which is making me very sad. It's Friday, and haven't heard from them so I'm assuming this means I may have been rejected?

I'm in the same boat, so I'm hoping they just haven't started or finished making calls.....fingers still crossed for both of us!

I'm in the same boat, so I'm hoping they just haven't started or finished making calls.....fingers still crossed for both of us!

I heard from someone that they have not started making calls yet, so maybe that should ease our worries. :)

I heard from someone that they have not started making calls yet, so maybe that should ease our worries. :)

I heard from San Diego yesterday. They mentioned that they were trying to get to everyone as fast as they could, so it might be that they haven't reached everyone yet.

I heard from San Diego yesterday. They mentioned that they were trying to get to everyone as fast as they could, so it might be that they haven't reached everyone yet.

You got an interview? Congrats! What track did you hear from?

Has anyone heard anything from Cambridge Health Alliance? For any track?

One of my friends heard from Primary Care and another from the two-year Psychotherapy program, all at different times this week. Looks like the track faculty are inviting as they review apps.

Does anyone know how many applicants post-doc sites invite for interviews? Do they invite less applicants than internship training directors?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many applicants post-doc sites invite for interviews? Do they invite less applicants than internship training directors?

I'm not sure if I'm at liberty to say the actual number, but I can say my site invites less people for post doc than for internship.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm at liberty to say the actual number, but I can say my sites invites less people for post doc than for internship.
Based on the info that's published in the APPIC directory, a lot fewer people apply and are interviewed for postdocs than for internships. I'm sure it varies widely, and it depends on the number of slots at a particular site, but it appears that many sites invite approximately 20 people for interviews.

My experience has been 2-4 applicants per position, with the mode being 2 or 3.

Based on the info that's published in the APPIC directory, a lot fewer people apply and are interviewed for postdocs than for internships. I'm sure it varies widely, and it depends on the number of slots at a particular site, but it appears that many sites invite approximately 20 people for interviews.

I find it very hard to believe that any post-doctoral position would generate 20 interviews per single position. Many post-doctoral positions do not ever receive 20 applications.

We just received 34 applications for a single position. We interviewed 16.

Do you think there is a difference in number of applications/interviewees based on whether it's a clinical or research focused postdoc? Or what kind of site/focus it is? I'm imagining that more general clinical postdocs might get a lot of applications compared to a research postdoc, which often seem to be pretty specific.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think there is a difference in number of applications/interviewees based on whether it's a clinical or research focused postdoc? Or what kind of site/focus it is? I'm imagining that more general clinical postdocs might get a lot of applications compared to a research postdoc, which often seem to be pretty specific.

It's going to vary wildly depending on the site, but even when I was at more research heavy places, we still got at least 20 applications for each spot we had open.

Meh, we cut more than half of the stack off the top pretty easily. We'd be very happy with any on our top 10, and fairly happy with the other 6. I'd rather have >30 applications for that position than <20 as a faculty member, no question.

Added a few more updates -- more to come. It's been a crazy week. When I get some downtime I'll add the rest and clean it up a bit. Thanks!

We just received 34 applications for a single position. We interviewed 16.

Why interview so many??? Even if you spent 2.5 hours/applicant during an interview with all said and done (which seems light), that's a full week's time right there!!!

Why interview so many??? Even if you spent 2.5 hours/applicant during an interview with all said and done (which seems light), that's a full week's time right there!!!

We interview everyone in our upper tiers, just the way that it works. And, each interview is an hour in length, fairly standard. Few faculty present during each interview, split between several faculty, not bad at all.

So I know someone said last week that Milwaukee VA just started reviewing apps, so it makes sense to not have heard anything, but anyone on here (or know someone) heard from Jesse Brown VA?

How many interviews are typically needed to be confident in getting an offer?

How many interviews are typically needed to be confident in getting an offer?
I would love to know this, but not sure that there is an answer. I'm sure it's highly variable, given that so many factors are involved.

I hope everyone is getting the interviews they wanted! So amazing how quickly these applications come after starting internship.

Anyone heard from Salud Family Health Centers in Colorado?

I applied to a total of 5 sites. I have interviewed at Boston VA and have two interviews for Palo Alto VA Feb 12th. Has anyone heard back from Long Beach VA or West LA VA? Has anyone attempted to contact any of your sites if you have not heard back re: an interview?

I applied to a total of 5 sites. I have interviewed at Boston VA and have two interviews for Palo Alto VA Feb 12th. Has anyone heard back from Long Beach VA or West LA VA? Has anyone attempted to contact any of your sites if you have not heard back re: an interview?
I haven't, and don't think that I will, as I heard that some of them don't respond at all. I will just assume that it's a rejection by middle of February, I think.

By any chance, has anyone heard from Cleveland Clinic or the Baltimore VA (both for neuropsych)?

I heard from long beach VA and there are a few others listed on the first posts

By any chance, has anyone heard from Cleveland Clinic or the Baltimore VA (both for neuropsych)?
I am also still waiting to hear anything from Baltimore VA Neuro. I'm also waiting on VA Neuro tracks for St. Louis and Cleveland if anyone has heard from those.

Just heard from Milwaukee VA! Got an email from the current post doc on the track I applied to. Hopefully all the tracks will send out invites soon!

Updated! Sorry for the delay. Will be back around Tuesday to do more updates. Thanks !

Does anyone know anything about the quality of neuropsych training at Cleveland Clinic?

Just because it isn't completely clear, are sites that use APPA CAS required to use the UND?