2015-2016 Post-Doc Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just because it isn't completely clear, are sites that use APPA CAS required to use the UND?

My understanding is that no sites are required to use the UND, but it is a guideline that is strongly suggested. Many of the sites I applied to stated in their brochure whether or not they would be abiding by the UND timeline. VA Boston, for instance, says in their brochure that they will not be abiding by that date and will be notifying sooner. A reasonable question to ask during your interviews, if it is still unclear, would be whether or not they will be abiding by the UND guideline.

Members don't see this ad.

Question - do sites frown upon you asking for a different interview date after you are already confirmed for one? I have a site that is giving me one interview date, which is the same day as another. I already asked the second site if they have any other dates and they said no. Is is bad form to ask the site I am confirmed with for a different date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question - do sites frown upon you asking for a different interview date after you are already confirmed for one? I have a site that is giving me one interview date, which is the same day as another. I already asked the second site if they have any other dates and they said no. Is is bad form to ask the site I am confirmed with for a different date?

Depends, how close are you to the interview day?And, just make sure if you do, you only do it once. If you cancel an interview more than once, you take a dive in my rankings, or get canned.

Depends, how close are you to the interview day?And, just make sure if you do, you only do it once. If you cancel an interview more than once, you take a dive in my rankings, or get canned.

Thanks for the reply! The interview date I am confirmed for is 2/10. The date I would like is 2/5, so only one week away. :( I asked the second site for time to decide and they would like to know by Monday 2/1.

I find this process harder to navigate because at least with internship interviews the sites I applied to had their interview dates posted in advance. So, I created a calendar that showed me all possible dates and only took interviews that had the least (or no) overlap with others. Had I known this was a possibility in the first place, I never would have taken the the 2/10 interview from the first site.

Ah, that could be tough, really depends on their schedule. I schedule out about a month in advance, so there would be no way I could re-arrange my schedule with a week's notice. Others may have different flexibility/availability. This is why I'm such a big fan of neuropsych's postdoc process where many sites interview at our big yearly conference. make sit so much easier on the students.

Ah, that could be tough, really depends on their schedule. I schedule out about a month in advance, so there would be no way I could re-arrange my schedule with a week's notice. Others may have different flexibility/availability. This is why I'm such a big fan of neuropsych's postdoc process where many sites interview at our big yearly conference. make sit so much easier on the students.

Yes, I think it's great that neuropsych allows applicants to interview at INS. The other complicating issue here is that the second site did not initially offer me an interview, they emailed to say they would not be able to offer me one at this time but would notify me if anything changed. Now they have emailed to ask if I am still interested, and to offer me an interview. So, I also think my odds of getting an offer there may be lower since I seem to be a second-tier applicant based on that exchange. Both sites are essentially equal in terms of the experiences that they offer, but the second site is in the location I would like to be. Agh!!!

Is the reciprocal offer not really a thing? I mentioned it to a TD who is using the UND and they didn't seem to think it applied to UND sites

Is the reciprocal offer not really a thing? I mentioned it to a TD who is using the UND and they didn't seem to think it applied to UND sites

That doesn't make sense. It's in the suggested guidelines- what does the TD think happens? That you just accept whatever is offered first.. Or..?

As we've all started to notice, though, having "suggested guidelines" just makes this process confusing. Some sites adhere to them rigidly, and seem to assume everyone does- where other sites pick and choose which aspects work for them.. And still more don't do any of them. Super frustrating. I'd rather it be an all or nothing thing, personally.

Has anyone heard from Western State Hospital in Washington or the Special Commitment Center?

That doesn't make sense. It's in the suggested guidelines- what does the TD think happens? That you just accept whatever is offered first.. Or..?

As we've all started to notice, though, having "suggested guidelines" just makes this process confusing. Some sites adhere to them rigidly, and seem to assume everyone does- where other sites pick and choose which aspects work for them.. And still more don't do any of them. Super frustrating. I'd rather it be an all or nothing thing, personally.

It does not make sense, and I find it really frustrating. I think their idea is that I take what I'm offered first or maybe hold out for them (potentially getting nothing!). I don't miss internship applications, but at least there was a sense of order and structure. This feels like guesswork and game playing.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's weird to think about possible offers when I still have a couple sites left to hear from

My top sites have not contacted me and I'm starting to worry. Has anyone heard from Salud, Aurora Mental Health, or the Wellness Leadership Institute? All are in Colorado.

Has anyone heard invite word from the Long Beach VA - Women's Mental Health track?

Has anyone heard from the SLVHCS (New Orleans) Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship?

-Site name: White River Junction VA
-Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): Phone
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): Primary Care and Mental Health
-Interview dates offered: 2/11 and 2/19

-Site name: VAMC Northport
-Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): Email
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): Health Promotion Disease Prevention (HPDP) and Inter-professional Training in Primary Care
-Interview dates offered: 2/11, 2/17, 2/18, and 2/22

-Site name: Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
-Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): Email
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): Psychosocial Rehabilitation / Serious Mental Illness
-Interview dates offered: 2/26, 2/29, and 3/4

-Site name: Phoenix VAHCS
-Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): Personal email
-Invite or rejection: rejection; stated they would keep my application on file if an interview slot opened up
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): PCMHI
-Interview dates offered: N/A

No cookies but a box of Krave cereal.

My top sites have not contacted me and I'm starting to worry. Has anyone heard from Salud, Aurora Mental Health, or the Wellness Leadership Institute? All are in Colorado.
I have not heard from Salud or Aurora Mental Health either.

I have not heard from Salud or Aurora Mental Health either.
Salud was my last internship interview...so maybe they're late with post docs? Denver got dumped on, so things might be delayed due to snow.

Salud was my last internship interview...so maybe they're late with post docs? Denver got dumped on, so things might be delayed due to snow.
Good to know! It makes sense that if they did internship interviews last, they would also be later on post-doc interviews. Also, I'm not yet concerned about Aurora Mental Health since their due date was 2/1.

Good to know! It makes sense that if they did internship interviews last, they would also be later on post-doc interviews. Also, I'm not yet concerned about Aurora Mental Health since their due date was 2/1.
Internship interviews for Aurora were earlier, but yeah, I definitely wouldn't worry - they seemed very laid back. Good luck!!!

I'm sure I'm not saying anything new, but this waiting process really sucks, especially since it's not clear whether some sites simply haven't gotten back to me yet, or have no intention of responding.

Reactions: 2 users
Interview for W.G. (Bill) Hefner VA in Salisbury, NC is interviewing tomorrow (Deadline for application was 12/15)
Got e-mail Rejection from Tennessee Valley VA on 2/2/16

Has anyone heard from Western State Hospital in Washington or the Special Commitment Center?
Yeah, for Western State Hospital, interviews were yesterday and today.

-Southeastern Louisiana VHCS (new Orleans, VA)
-1/20/16 (email)
-Invite
-Health PCMHI
-Feb 22 and Feb 29 (in-person or VTEL)

I am wondering if anybody has heard from these sites:
1) Correct Care Recovery Solutions/ South Florida State Hospital
2) Hennepin County Medical Center
3) Northwest Missouri Psychiatric Rehabilitation Clinic

Also, I saw that some people received interview invites from Augusta University/ Central Regional Hospital, but that was way before their application deadline. I'm wondering if anyone has received a rejection from this site, or has not received any response at all.

Received an interview offer from Salud, interview date 2/25 (two different time slots, one in the morning and one in the afternoon). Hope you heard back also!

I am wondering if anybody has heard from these sites:
1) Correct Care Recovery Solutions/ South Florida State Hospital
2) Hennepin County Medical Center
3) Northwest Missouri Psychiatric Rehabilitation Clinic

Also, I saw that some people received interview invites from Augusta University/ Central Regional Hospital, but that was way before their application deadline. I'm wondering if anyone has received a rejection from this site, or has not received any response at all.

I'm also waiting on Hennepin County Medical Center, but probably a different track than you. And this is a long shot, but anyone hear from the pediatric integrated care postdoc at Case Western/MetroHealth?

I'm also waiting on Hennepin County Medical Center, but probably a different track than you. And this is a long shot, but anyone hear from the pediatric integrated care postdoc at Case Western/MetroHealth?
I believe I applied for the Adult Therapy Track.

Received an interview offer from Salud, interview date 2/25 (two different time slots, one in the morning and one in the afternoon). Hope you heard back also!
Yes I did! I guess I'll see you on the 25th! Good luck.

If we haven't heard from a site, do folks think it's late enough in the game to email and check on our status? Trying to not be clingy

If we haven't heard from a site, do folks think it's late enough in the game to email and check on our status? Trying to not be clingy
I received one today and two Friday. So I don't think it would hurt.

I believe I applied for the Adult Therapy Track.
FYI I heard from Hennepin today--personalized email from one of the child psychologists on staff inviting me to do a phone interview during the next week or so. Hope you heard good news today, too!

FYI I heard from Hennepin today--personalized email from one of the child psychologists on staff inviting me to do a phone interview during the next week or so. Hope you heard good news today, too!

Congratulations on your interview and good luck! I have not heard from them yet, but my plate is actually pretty full until the end of the month, so I think I'll be good.

Has anyone heard from the Cleveland VA?!
A fellow intern has interviewed there for the Psychosocial Rehab rotation. They also said that they'll be notifiying of offers at the end of this week. Not sure if this applies to other rotations.

A fellow intern has interviewed there for the Psychosocial Rehab rotation. They also said that they'll be notifiying of offers at the end of this week. Not sure if this applies to other rotations.
Ok thanks! I was waiting to hear from the PTSD track! I have emailed them and have yet to get a reply after three days.

Does anyone know if there is a specific time at which programs will begin calling or contacting on March 7th with offers?

I would not be upset if one of my sites decided to jump the gun and offer now...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I have pretty much all sites, except 1 not using APPA CAS. And those sites have only now started to review applications and send out interviews. When I tell them about my timeline and notification day -- it does not appear to mesh well. It's super frustrating.

In sum ;) APPA CAS does not seem to go well with research focused post docs. ::end rant::

Does anyone know if there is a specific time at which programs will begin calling or contacting on March 7th with offers?

I think "sometime in the morning" is what most sites are doing. I've been told by sites that they're starting out with offers anywhere between 7:30 and 10am.