General Admissions & OTCAS 2015-2016 stats/interview/rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was waitlisted to interview, is that what you had as well? I think they take mostly in state students but I'm not sure.

To Pitt? I went to Pitt for undergrad, and I'm in state, but..Pitt has a program where you can be pre-accepted into the OT program as an undergrad freshman and as long as you keep a certain gpa/take the prerequisites/get s certain gre score you can go on straight to the MOT....so the seats are mostly filled by those people, unfortunately. I wish they would be more explicit about that :/

Members don't see this ad.

Got into Howard University this morning!

Reactions: 1 user
Overall GPA: 3.47
Pre-req: 4.0
GRE: 307 combined, 4.5 AW
-lots of observation through work and volunteer experience

Accepted: Chatham and Pitt
-waiting on Colorado State

Members don't see this ad :)
To Pitt? I went to Pitt for undergrad, and I'm in state, but..Pitt has a program where you can be pre-accepted into the OT program as an undergrad freshman and as long as you keep a certain gpa/take the prerequisites/get s certain gre score you can go on straight to the MOT....so the seats are mostly filled by those people, unfortunately. I wish they would be more explicit about that :/
I went to the Pitt info session and was told that not that many students are accepted through the freshman guarantee program.

Got my acceptance to Belmont University this week!:)

Reactions: 2 users
Major: Biological Sciences (Biomedicine concentration)
Minor: Psychology
GPA: 3.2
Experience: Over 1000 hours of working with OTs.

Accepted: Nova Southeastern OTD, Huntington University
Wait listed: Belmont University OTD
Interviewed: East Carolina
TBD: Ohio State, Colorado State, University of Washington
Rejected: University of Indianapolis OTD, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

- Have anyone that interviewed for Belmont in November and were wait listed heard back from them yet?
- Are accepted people to Nova Southeastern OTD planning on flying down or living in Florida?
Hey! I got accepted and I plan on moving. I've talked to two other people that have been accepted and one plans on moving while the other does not.

I went to the Pitt info session and was told that not that many students are accepted through the freshman guarantee program.
I attend Pitt and they said 15 MOT freshman guarentees are given out and only about 3-5 actually are in the graduate class if that makes you feel better.

Rejected: University of Indianapolis OTD, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

- Have anyone that interviewed for Belmont in November and were wait listed heard back from them yet?
- Are accepted people to Nova Southeastern OTD planning on flying down or living in Florida?

AlexOT,

I interviewed with Belmont on 01-29-2016; received my acceptance on 02-08-2016.

From what I gleaned from Admissions Director Bill Nichols. The admitting class size is 32. You interviewed at the Early Admission Date (interview in Nov.), while I interviewed at the Priority Admission Date (interviewed in Jan), there is also a regular admission date (interview in April - which they were not planning to do this year).

They admitted half the class (16) at the Early Admission date and the remainder (16) for the Priority Date.

Hope that helps.

Do you mind me asking how you feel about the distance/blended learning curriculum NOVA has? It was one of the reasons I was hesitant to apply.

I also interviewed with Belmont in November and was wait listed. I have not heard anything but I know that other people who had later interviews are being accepted which is pretty discouraging. Their process doesn't make much sense to me.

AlexOT,

From what I gleaned from Admissions Director Bill Nichols. The admitting class size is 32. You interviewed at the Early Admission Date (interview in Nov.), while I interviewed at the Priority Admission Date (interviewed in Jan), there is also a regular admission date (interview in April - which they were not planning to do this year).

They admitted half the class (16) at the Early Admission date and the remainder (16) for the Priority Date.

Hope that helps.

Do you mind me asking how you feel about the distance/blended learning curriculum NOVA has? It was one of the reasons I was hesitant to apply.
So does this mean that the class is already filled?

So does this mean that the class is already filled?

I cannot say for sure. But in my opinion I think at this point if everyone who was offered accepts, then I would say yes. Belmont is a very expensive program approx 130k so there is definitely the possibility that individuals will decline for a more affordable program. My commitment date was 02-25-2016. I would imagine after that individuals on the waitlist might start hearing back.

Best of luck.

I also got in the OTD at Nova but I live in Florida. I know a number of current students fly in each month but I think majority live on campus. Where do you plan on attending?

@OTKH22 I am still waiting to hear back from a few schools and want to explore each program more in-depth, but of the programs that I have been accepted to, Nova is looking pretty promising.

I also interviewed with Belmont in November and was wait listed. I have not heard anything but I know that other people who had later interviews are being accepted which is pretty discouraging. Their process doesn't make much sense to me.

@sbalex2837 I would contact Tina and ask where you are on the waiting list. When I emailed Belmont they said that I was in the middle third of the waitlist. However, they said that they have not officially ranked their waitlist yet. They also did not say how many were on the waitlist. I was told we should hear back more information in early March. Hopefully we hear good news then!

Members don't see this ad :)
AlexOT,

Hope that helps.

@LAtoSDtoOT Thank you for the information that helps a lot. As for Nova, I was hesitant at first about their curriculum, but the more I look into it the more I like it. From my understanding each month you are required to be on campus in Tampa Bay about once per month. During that period you spend four straight days on campus (typically during the weekend). Besides for those four days the rest of the work is online. Although, I have taken online classes before it will be interesting to see how learning occupational therapy in this setting will occur. However, a number of occupational therapist I have talked to have given support to NOVA being an excellent school. For me I see a major opportunity in the NOVA program in not being committed to class for more than four days a month. I love to travel so a plan I am contemplating is flying down for the required classes once a month, renting a condo on the beach during those four days, and then living either at my parents’ home in Ohio or on the couches of my friends around the country for the remainder of the month. Rock climbing is a big part of my life and obviously Florida doesn’t have this. Fortunately, with friends around the country in areas with climbing, I can fly to their houses in between classes rather than flying home. This seems like it may be expensive, but instead of paying for rent down in Florida I could instead pay for flights and condos. The cost of the flights ($150/flight round trip) along with renting condos (Briefly looking found them for $100/night, but had multiple rooms so the price could be drastically reduced if students collaborated) would come out to be roughly $600/month (without collaborating on condos) which is equivalent or cheaper to what rent would be down there especially since you wouldn’t have to pay for furniture, wifi, cable, or utilities at a condo.

If you don't mind me asking, after you completed your application to ISU did they send you any kind of follow up email or did they just send an acceptance email?

When I completed my application they sent me a confirmation email, telling me my application was complete. I didn't hear from them again until they sent out their admissions decisions!

When I completed my application they sent me a confirmation email, telling me my application was complete. I didn't hear from them again until they sent out their admissions decisions!

Thank you! Also when did you apply and when did they send out your acceptance? Sorry for all the questions!

Thank you! Also when did you apply and when did they send out your acceptance? Sorry for all the questions!

No worries! I applied around September and didn't hear back until early February. They changed their early admission & admission deadlines to January 1 and February 1, respectively.

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has heard from VCU or MUSC?

Overall GPA: 3.68
GRE: 157V/156Q/4.0A
200+ volunteer hours in 3 different settings

Applied: Samuel Merritt, Touro (Nevada), Puget Sound, USC, University of Washington, Tufts.
Accepted: SMU, Touro Nevada
I'm guessing I'm either waitlisted or rejected from Puget Sound since I havent heard back yet.
Still waiting on the others.

Overall GPA: 3.65
GRE: 147V/144Q/4.0A
189+ volunteer hours in 5 different settings

Applied: Stockton, Salus, UPitt, Chatham, Alvernia, Temple, Seton Hall
Accepted: Stockton, Seton Hall, Salus, Chatham
Waitlisted: Temple
Rejected: UPitt

Still waiting to hear from Alvernia! I don't know which school I am going to choose between the three so far.

Last edited:
Still waiting to hear from Stockton and Alvernia! I don't know which school I am going to choose between the three so far.

Did you hear from Seton Hall recently? I applied a while ago and haven't heard anything so I have pretty much ruled them out, but i'm wondering when I will hear anything at all.

What has your interview experience been like? My interview is later this week, and I feel like my nerves are setting in. I've been practicing questions/doing mock interviews, but I feel like I'm making myself more nervous---especially when I hear that students with phenomenal stats are getting rejected. :nailbiting: After three years of working towards this dream, it's crazy that it's closer to becoming a reality.

Hi everyone! I've been hanging on to this thread for a while, waiting till I got some response back to post. This waiting game is terrible! If anyone has any advice as far as nudging the admissions offices to give you information about the status of decisions (ie how to go about breaching the topic) I'd really love to hear it! I suppose I'm an older student, I graduated in 2010 from UF, I'm interested to see when/where other applicants graduated...not sure if admissions offices factor that in or not

Major:
B.A. English and Film Studies, University of Florida c/o 2010 (started out pre-med and switched sophomore year)
Work Experience: (I added that in since I'm 5 years out) worked at Apple, Inc. as a technician and trainer for 2.5 years, licensed realtor for 2 years, run my own business as a computer consultant/trainer/tutor, some special needs students working with assistive technologies, but mostly geriatric customers
Overall GPA: 3.31 (as calculated by OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: Depends on school, but about a 3.85 (only B is in stats)
GRE: AW 4.0 V 157, Q 147
LOR: 1 from A&P 1 Professor, 1 from inpatient rehab OT, 1 from pediatrics OT, 1 from certified hand therapist OT

Extra-Curric: member of college improv comedy group, Theatre Strike Force, involved with many student-led film productions, UF Gators for a Sustainable Campus, 2008/2012 presidential campaign volunteering, volunteered with KW Cares (service org for Keller Williams realty), habitat for humanity, photography club, helped my parents with their stained glass business
OT Observation/Experience:
138+ hours, 4 different settings within Naples Community Hospital system in Naples, FL. Inpatient rehab 38hrs, outpatient general adult rehab 23 hrs, outpatient rehab under certified hand therapist 23 hrs, outpatient pediatrics 45+ hours.

Applied: A lot! FGCU, NOVA, UF, WSSU, Towson, MUSC, Temple, Salus U, U Sciences, Philadelphia U, Thomas Jefferson
Acceptances: (as of 2-23-16) FGCU, (wait listed at Temple (bc of sociology and A&P2 prereqs) and PhilaU - bc they're at capacity), the rest TBD
Rejections: Towson (they only look at last 60 cred of undergrad and didn't count the 4As I just got for last semesters prereqs, said my gpa was 3.15 and didn't meet 3.25 requirement uhhhhh) and Thomas Jefferson :(
Interviews: FGCU (they asked within a week of me applying, so I scheduled the interview for the first Friday offered, it was the first group of interviewees so I think I got lucky with that)

Still waiting to hear back from all of the other schools- I applied to everything except FGCU by 12/31/15. Was verified by OTCAS on 1/6/16, so I sort of feel like i missed out bc a lot of schools already filled up :/ I'm currently taking A&P2 and Sociology this semester.

Did you hear from Seton Hall recently? I applied a while ago and haven't heard anything so I have pretty much ruled them out, but i'm wondering when I will hear anything at all.

yes, I got a call today from seton hall saying that I've been accepted and they will be sending the rest of the info to my house this week. don't give up hope! I'm not sure how they do their acceptances, but when I emailed the director of graduate admissions with questions he originally told me I would find out by March/April.

What has your interview experience been like? My interview is later this week, and I feel like my nerves are setting in. I've been practicing questions/doing mock interviews, but I feel like I'm making myself more nervous---especially when I hear that students with phenomenal stats are getting rejected. :nailbiting: After three years of working towards this dream, it's crazy that it's closer to becoming a reality.

Where are you interviewing? Honestly, don't stress! As long as you are passionate and know a great deal about OT and why you want to be an OT you will do great! I definitely practiced over and over again until i stared losing my mind lol. But I found that even if I looked over possible questions and researched the schools endlessly (it's good to know about certain things that make the school stand out) once I got into the interview they asked some questions that caught me off guard. Just be confident and answer the question they're asking, and you will do great.

Update: Waitlisted to MGH

Anyone heard from VCU, MUSC, or University of Washington (UW) yet?

Update: Waitlisted to MGH

Anyone heard from VCU, MUSC, or University of Washington (UW) yet?

I've also been waitlisted at MGH. Haven't heard back from MUSC yet. Hopefully within the next week or so?

Major: Psychology/ minor in child development and family relations
Overall GPA: 3.55
Pre-reqs: 3.2 -3.5
GRE: 147V/141Q/3.0 A ( I don't do well on standardized tests. I get very nervous. I took it twice)
Shadowing hours: 85 hrs in 3 different settings. I shadowed a current ECU OT student alongside the OT.
Extracurricular: research assistant and part of the Pre-OT association.
Experience: I was a CNA and I currently work as an ESL assistant providing tutoring sessions to non-native speakers.
LOR: 2 from OTs and 1 from the professor I did research with.

Applied to: WSSU, Lenoir-Rhyne, NOVA MOT. I'm going to submit applications to Barry University and ADU.
Rejected: WSSU. I just received the email. :(

I haven't heard back from NOVA, which is where I would like to attend and I've read that some have received interview offers.

Major: Psychology/ minor in child development and family relations
Overall GPA: 3.55
Pre-reqs: 3.2 -3.5
GRE: 147V/141Q/3.0 A ( I don't do well on standardized tests. I get very nervous. I took it twice)
Shadowing hours: 85 hrs in 3 different settings. I shadowed a current ECU OT student alongside the OT.
Extracurricular: research assistant and part of the Pre-OT association.
Experience: I was a CNA and I currently work as an ESL assistant providing tutoring sessions to non-native speakers.
LOR: 2 from OTs and 1 from the professor I did research with.

Applied to: WSSU, Lenoir-Rhyne, NOVA MOT. I'm going to submit applications to Barry University and ADU.
Rejected: WSSU. I just received the email. :(

I haven't heard back from NOVA, which is where I would like to attend and I've read that some have received interview offers.

I too haven't heard a peep from NOVA. I submitted my app early January. When did you submit yours?

I too haven't heard a peep from NOVA. I submitted my app early January. When did you submit yours?
I was accepted to Nova in November and I had submitted my application in august/september. They are moving very slowly this year so I wouldn't get too discouraged as the class isn't filled yet!

Reactions: 1 users
(updates)

University: University of North Georgia
Major: Psychology Minor: Gerontology
Overall GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: not sure, depends on school
GRE: 152V 150Q 5.0W

Shadowing: 90 total (more in progress): hippo therapy, pediatrics, hand therapy
Volunteer/work experience: Camp Twin Lakes summer staff (camp for kids with special needs), ABA line therapist, Youth Minister, Nanny for child with autism, mission trips to Africa and Nicaragua, Special Olympics, church nursery volunteer, summer nanny.

Applying: Belmont University, University of North Carolina, University of Florida, Boston University, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Colorado state, Brenau University, Columbia University, Washington University, Virginia Commonwealth University

Acceptances: MGH Institute of Health Professions, Columbia University

Rejections: University of North Carolina, Boston University, University of Florida

Waitlists: Washington University, Belmont University

Interviews: Belmont (11/13), MGH Institute (2/5), Brenau (2/19)

I will be attending Columbia University so I will be taking my name off the waitlist for the other schools and forfeiting my deposit for MGH Institute!

Last edited:
Has anybody here heard anything from Springfield College? Do you know when they are sending out acceptances?

I too haven't heard a peep from NOVA. I submitted my app early January. When did you submit yours?[/QUOTE

I submitted mine 1/15/16 so it might be because we submitted almost towards the deadline. Hopefully we'll hear back and they still have seats available.

(updates)

University: University of North Georgia
Major: Psychology Minor: Gerontology
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: not sure, depends on school
GRE: 152V 150Q 5.0W (taking again in Nov)

Shadowing: 64 total (more in progress): hippo therapy, pediatrics, hand therapy
Volunteer/work experience: Camp Twin Lakes summer staff (camp for kids with special needs), ABA line therapist, Youth Minister, Nanny for child with autism, mission trips to Africa and Nicaragua, Special Olympics, church nursery volunteer, summer nanny.

Applying: Belmont University, University of North Carolina, University of Florida, Boston University, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Colorado state, Brenau University, Columbia, Washington University, Virginia Commonwealth University

Acceptances: MGH Institute of Health Professions

Rejections: University of North Carolina, Boston University

Waitlists: Washington University, Belmont University

Interviews: Belmont (11/13), MGH Institute (2/5), Brenau (2/19)

Congrats on MGH, Is that your top choice? Did you accept?

I've also been waitlisted at MGH. Haven't heard back from MUSC yet. Hopefully within the next week or so?

They just sent out their emails, I was rejected which I don't understand at all. What about you?

UPDATE

University: VCU
Major: Exercise Science
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: V-157, Quant.- 148, Writing- 4

Observation Hours: Over 200 with a pediatric OT, and a Hand therapist

Applied: VCU, MUSC, Belmont, TTUHSC, Wash. U, U. Wash, Central Arkansas, MGH, UAB, Creighton, Pittsburgh, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Acceptances: TTUHSC (12/10)

Rejections: MUSC (2/24)

Interviews: TTUHSC (12/05), Belmont (01/29), MGH (02/5)

Waitlisted: Wash U. at Saint Louis, Pittsburgh, Creighton, Belmont, MGH

Will update as I get more!

Has anybody here heard anything from Springfield College? Do you know when they are sending out acceptances?

I haven't heard back yet either, I submitted in December. I figured I would've heard back by now

Updated:

University: SDSU San Diego State University

Major: Business with an emphasis in marketing

Overall GPA: 3.0+ish
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V157 Q155 A3.5

Extra-Curric: 200+ hrs with CYKT

Volunteer: 300+ hrs peds, out patient acute, CHT and upper extremity, ADHC

Applied: Belmont University, USC, St. Augustine, Dominican, Huntington, SJSU, Loma Linda, , West Coast, Midwestern University - Downers Grove, Midwestern University - Glendale

Acceptances: Belmont(2/8), Huntington(2/22), Dominican(2/25)

Rejections: Loma Linda (2/4 alternate list)

Interviews: St. Augustine(2/26)

Congrats on MGH, Is that your top choice? Did you accept?
Thank you! I went ahead and accepted but am keeping my spot on Belmont's waitlist. Waiting to hear how big my scholarship is.

200+ volunteer hours in 3 different settings

Applied: Samuel Merritt, Touro (Nevada), Puget Sound, USC, University of Washington, Tufts.
Accepted: SMU, Touro Nevada
I'm guessing I'm either waitlisted or rejected from Puget Sound since I havent heard back yet.
Still waiting on the others.

Hey sarah_futureot,

How long after your Touro interview did you receive your acceptance? And also would you mind sharing your stats?

They just sent out their emails, I was rejected which I don't understand at all. What about you?

I was as well. No idea how that works, but ooohhkay.

@LAtoSDtoOT: I applied to Huntington as well. Congrats on the acceptance! Did they call you on Monday? I had heard second-hand that those who were accepted would receive a phonecall on Thursday (the 18th) or Monday, but since I didn't hear anything, my new working theory became, "well I did hear it second-hand so maybe it wasn't true", haha.

Major: Psychology
Undergrad GPA: 3.25
OTCAS calculated undergrad GPA: 3.3
Pre-req GPA: ranges from ~3.7-4.0
GRE: 151V, 153Q, 4.5 writing

Shadowing hours: 160+ hours

Applied: Boston University, Massachusetts General Hospital IHP, Virginia Commonwealth, Nova Southeastern University MOT, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Bay Path, D'Youville, Ithaca, Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD, Belmont, Columbia, NYU (I applied literally everywhere--underestimated myself and had low confidence so it's a long list!)

Interviews: Boston University, Massachusetts General Hospital IHP, Nova Southeastern University MOT, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Ithaca (declined interview), Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD, Belmont (declined interview)

Acceptances: all of the above!! Boston University, Massachusetts General Hospital IHP, Virginia Commonwealth, Nova Southeastern University MOT, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Bay Path, D'Youville, Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD
(Still waiting to hear back from Columbia, waitlisted at NYU but declined my spot)

Rejections:
none!:)

Good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 1 users
I was as well. No idea how that works, but ooohhkay.

@LAtoSDtoOT: I applied to Huntington as well. Congrats on the acceptance! Did they call you on Monday? I had heard second-hand that those who were accepted would receive a phonecall on Thursday (the 18th) or Monday, but since I didn't hear anything, my new working theory became, "well I did hear it second-hand so maybe it wasn't true", haha.

I got the phone call Friday morning the 19th from Dr. Short (who I interviewed with), I interviewed 2/15. I recieved my official letter of acceptance today 2/25 via snail mail.

Hey sarah_futureot,

How long after your Touro interview did you receive your acceptance? And also would you mind sharing your stats?

I received an acceptance a week and a half after my interview through email. I had an interview January 7th. However, I rejected their acceptance last week. Sure!

GPA: 3.68, graduated UC Davis
200+ volunteer hours in 3 different setting
Work experience: special needs aide, recreation leader, preschool teacher, ect.
Accepted: SMU, Touro Nevada, Tufts (2/22)
Waitlisted: Puget Sound (2/26)
Rejections: N/A

Major: Psychology
Undergrad GPA: 3.25
OTCAS calculated undergrad GPA: 3.3
Pre-req GPA: ranges from ~3.7-4.0
GRE: 151V, 153Q, 4.5 writing

Shadowing hours: 160+ hours

Applied: Boston University, Massachusetts General Hospital IHP, Virginia Commonwealth, Nova Southeastern University MOT, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Bay Path, D'Youville, Ithaca, Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD, Belmont, Columbia, NYU (I applied literally everywhere--underestimated myself and had low confidence so it's a long list!)

Interviews: Boston University, Massachusetts General Hospital IHP, Nova Southeastern University MOT, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Ithaca (declined interview), Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD, Belmont (declined interview)

Acceptances: all of the above!! Boston University, Massachusetts General Hospital IHP, Virginia Commonwealth, Nova Southeastern University MOT, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Bay Path, D'Youville, Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD
(Still waiting to hear back from Columbia, waitlisted at NYU but declined my spot)

Rejections:
none!:)

Good luck to everyone!!
Wow that's awesome! Do you know which you're gonna accept?!

Wow that's awesome! Do you know which you're gonna accept?!
Thank you! I'm trying to decide between BU and MGH. Any advice from anyone would be GREATLY appreciated. The programs are so different and both seem so amazing so I'm having a hard time!

Thank you! I'm trying to decide between BU and MGH. Any advice from anyone would be GREATLY appreciated. The programs are so different and both seem so amazing so I'm having a hard time!

i would go MGH

where did you do your undergrad?