2015-2016 Wayne State University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

claduva94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2015-2016 Secondary Prompts:
Please discuss the reasons you wish to pursue your medical education at Wayne State University School of Medicine. (1000ch)

Please describe the attributes that you possess that will help enhance cultural diversity at Wayne State University School of Medicine (1000ch)

Please describe meaningful life experience(s) you have encountered and/or challenges that you had to overcome. Describe how the experience or challenge impacted your life. (1000ch)

Additional prompts, depending on relevance:

For MD/MPH applicants:
Please explain your specific interest in Public Health. Include any relevant experiences and/or education. (1000ch)

For Reapplicants:
What academic, employment, volunteer experiences have you been engaged in since your last application to medical school? How does your current application differ from your previous application? (1500ch)

For those with an Institutional Action:
Fully describe the circumstances that resulted in the disciplinary institutional action citation noted on your AMCAS application. What lasting lessons have you learned from the experience? (1500ch)

Good luck to those applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Adding this IS school to my long list. Only want to do this once, hopefully

Is Wayne state repeating their secondary prompts for the 2015-2016 application cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess you could say that, but the other 11 problems are actually serious

no secondary received yet, submitted primary on first day. 2 cycles ago, you literally had to submit the secondary as a pdf by email. This school is a bit behind on their admissions technology. Hope that improves.

Thanks @Dr.Jekll75 for accreditation news, I didn't see that before your post. Something to think about, and they will definitely have to address it at interview sessions. Second school on my list that may be on probation (Baylor is the other).

no secondary received yet, submitted primary on first day. 2 cycles ago, you literally had to submit the secondary as a pdf by email. This school is a bit behind on their admissions technology. Hope that improves.

Thanks @Dr.Jekll75 for accreditation news, I didn't see that before your post. Something to think about, and they will definitely have to address it at interview sessions. Second school on my list that may be on probation (Baylor is the other).
Secondaries didn't start going out until late July last year. And last cycle you had to do the same thing haha

By the way everyone I was accepted OOS last cycle. I won't be matriculating but if you have any questions let me know!

By the way everyone I was accepted OOS last cycle. I won't be matriculating but if you have any questions let me know!
Best wishes to you. OOS tuition at Wayne is wicked, and no chance of ever becoming instate. I'm jealous of your mountains in Colorado.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys have nothing to worry about in regards to the article on Wayne state. The issues are NOT major at all and everything should be back on track by the end of the year. This sort of thing happens every once in a while and compared to other schools, Wayne states issues are extremely minor and easily fixable.

For all you who got secondaries did they change the prompts from last years

For all you who got secondaries did they change the prompts from last years
Who got secondaries already? I just got an email that they were still working on it for this year, will go out later. Their screen is pretty darn low, but may be going out in waves. They don't use technology like other schools, unless they are changing it this year. In prior year, you literally had to email your secondary responses as a PDF or word file.

Who got secondaries already? I just got an email that they were still working on it for this year, will go out later. Their screen is pretty darn low, but may be going out in waves. They don't use technology like other schools, unless they are changing it this year. In prior year, you literally had to email your secondary responses as a PDF or word file.

I got this same email on the 8th, so I don't think anyone has gotten secondaries yet, but I could be wrong.

Since, according to the email they send, they're "still working on the seconday" should we take that to mean the prompts will change from last year? I don't want to waste time pre-writing if they aren't going to be the same

Since, according to the email they send, they're "still working on the seconday" should we take that to mean the prompts will change from last year? I don't want to waste time pre-writing if they aren't going to be the same
I'm not pre-writing mine because that is how I interpreted it

Reactions: 1 user
The accreditation problems are actually kind of serious. One African American student in a class of 300? Talk about a recruiting fail. Wayne state med faculty are already jumping ship to go to other michigan medical schools, and they are altering their recruiting and academic tactics to reflect other med schools. Couple this with a match rate that was lower than 2 other michigan med schools this past year, and the fact that they are losing hospital affiliations left and right...you've gotta ask yourself, why go to this financially unstable school when the state has better options?

The accreditation problems are actually kind of serious. One African American student in a class of 300? Talk about a recruiting fail. Wayne state med faculty are already jumping ship to go to other michigan medical schools, and they are altering their recruiting and academic tactics to reflect other med schools. Couple this with a match rate that was lower than 2 other michigan med schools this past year, and the fact that they are losing hospital affiliations left and right...you've gotta ask yourself, why go to this financially unstable school when the state has better options?
Out of curiosity where do you attended ?

I attend another Michigan school, but to protect my anonymity, I won't say which one. I'm just here to give honest advice. I received interview offers from 4 michigan schools, went to 3 of them, and got into all 3. I'm giving the thoughts of a current medical student in the state of Michigan.

I hope readers stay aware of posts like this. Read the LCME report. Half a million dollars have been put into their minority student program. Staff that left were probably fired, not "abandoning ship." The reason they had this issue was because of the affirmative action laws passed in Michigan in 2006. The rest of the problems are easily fixed and probably already are planned. As far as a match rate... this is extremely misleading and don't let this fool you. Any MD school in the US's students will probably not have a problem matching. The issue is if the students are satisfied with their match or will take extra years off to research and re-match to get the specialty that they want (Wayne probably had a few more of these kids that weren't satisfied, even though their match rate is in the high 90s).

As far as what MATTERS in matching and not including the University of Michigan, Wayne State has the best reputation and has the best match list of specialties and hospitals. It is also ranked higher than the other schools (63) with higher gpa/mcat averages of acceptance. In fact, my parents who interview for residencies in competitive fields (Dermatology) say that Wayne is the school to go to if possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh please, the lack of minority students is not because of an Affirmative Action bill. You don't need to "lower standards" to get more minority students, you just need to recruit better. There are plenty of minority students up to their standard, the school just isn't reaching out to them. In a diverse and urban city like Detroit, the fact that they struggle with this shows a real misguidance on their part. And it's not a quick fix either, it will take years to increase the diversity of the school. The professors weren't fired either...jeez. Wayne State's reputation is slipping, and they aren't viewed as the same school they were 10 years ago, plain and simple.

Oh please, the lack of minority students is not because of an Affirmative Action bill. You don't need to "lower standards" to get more minority students, you just need to recruit better. There are plenty of minority students up to their standard, the school just isn't reaching out to them. In a diverse and urban city like Detroit, the fact that they struggle with this shows a real misguidance on their part. And it's not a quick fix either, it will take years to increase the diversity of the school. The professors weren't fired either...jeez. Wayne State's reputation is slipping, and they aren't viewed as the same school they were 10 years ago, plain and simple.

Your right diversity is an issue that they will need to fix.

As far as reputation, they aren't slipping if they went up 25 in the rankings in the last 3 years, have very high nih funding and have classes that are becoming more and more competitive. I encourage you to ask residency interviewers around the country to talk about the michigan schools. You will always get the same answer. Why are you on this thread if you are a med student already at another school? (Oakland). You are clearly insecure about where you attend to be doing this.

I don't go to Oakland. I was looking over schools I interviewed at and got in to when I applied to med school to offer up advice, saw someone post about Wayne State's accreditation issue, and offered up an honest opinion of what a current medical student in Michigan thinks of it. That's it, an honest opinion.

I am OOS, but I have a 4.0 grad degree, and I know Wayne will actually consider the gGPA instead of the uGPA if its >30 credits.

Can't decide if I should apply here or not.

I don't go to Oakland. I was looking over schools I interviewed at and got in to when I applied to med school to offer up advice, saw someone post about Wayne State's accreditation issue, and offered up an honest opinion of what a current medical student in Michigan thinks of it. That's it, an honest opinion.

In a pretty arrogant, misleading and uncalled for way.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a current medical student in michigan and I think it's mostly bull****. Just an honest opinion

Actually, you sound butt-hurt for some unknown reason. Not sure if the school didn't treat you like the special snowflake you think you are on your interview day (if you really got an interview) or you have some other reason to bad-mouth a school you don't attend, but all the data mentioned above, and other available data like match lists and comments by program directors about the doctors Wayne produces, puts the lie to your comments. For any applicants, I can say as an actual current student, not just one who claims to have received an interview to Wayne, that the issues Wayne is facing are annoying but hardly crippling, will be corrected without any danger of Wayne actually losing accreditation, and that Wayne's reputation with residency program directors is not, in fact, decreasing, regardless of what one particular medical student who DOESN'T attend the school, might say.

Damn, I didn't mean to start a full out war I just thought it was an interesting article. We will see what's going to happen in October once they have the hearing

Secondary in!
That was frustrating...they changed the 200 word limit to a 1000 character limit shortly after opening the app, so I had to go back and re-edit everything. It was a bit nerve-wracking since I was so proud of being punctual and optimistic that I'd be in that 'first 50' who get feedback within a week! Hopefully I still make the cutoff, though...I reallllly want to hear back from them!

Secondary in!
That was frustrating...they changed the 200 word limit to a 1000 character limit shortly after opening the app, so I had to go back and re-edit everything. It was a bit nerve-wracking since I was so proud of being punctual and optimistic that I'd be in that 'first 50' who get feedback within a week! Hopefully I still make the cutoff, though...I reallllly want to hear back from them!

Are the prompts the same as last year's?

@claduva94
MD secondary prompts:

Please discuss the reasons you wish to pursue your medical education at Wayne State University School of Medicine. (1000ch)

Please describe the attributes that you possess that will help enhance cultural diversity at Wayne State University School of Medicine (1000ch)

Please describe meaningful life experience(s) you have encountered and/or challenges that you had to overcome. Describe how the experience or challenge impacted your life. (1000ch)

For MD/MPH applicants:
Please explain your specific interest in Public Health. Include any relevant experiences and/or education. (1000ch)

For Reapplicants:
What academic, employment, volunteer experiences have you been engaged in since your last application to medical school? How does your current application differ from your previous application? (1500ch)

Fully describe the circumstances that resulted in the disciplinary institutional action citation noted on your AMCAS application. What lasting lessons have you learned from the experience? (1500ch)

No secondary yet for me. Hoping to get one soon! This will be my last one!

Got the secondary today and the email made it sound as if this was their first, small, batch. Their secondary is now in a nice online form like all of the other schools' :thumbup: - maybe that was the cause of the delay? :shrug:

I have high hopes that everyone in this thread will hear back shortly, they sound as if they want to hit the ground running since they are a bit behind!

Last edited:
@claduva94
MD secondary prompts:

For MD/MPH applicants:

For Reapplicants:

Was there no alternate questions for IS students like there was in previous years?

Was there no alternate questions for IS students like there was in previous years?
I have no clue what previous years did or did not have. What I posted was what I saw in the secondary. I am OOS, but since the secondary asked me to mark whether I was IS, I imagine everyone gets the same one.

If you selected that you were a Michigan resident, there was a small box to explain how/why, but that's it.

Started pre-writing and wow. 1000 characters fill up fast!

Started pre-writing and wow. 1000 characters fill up fast!
It's basically 200 words without spaces...which is why when they changed it to 1000 characters, all of my answers were suddenly over by ~199 characters (all the spaces, lol!)

Got the secondary today and the email made it sound as if this was their first, small, batch. Their secondary is now in a nice online form like all of the other schools' :thumbup: - maybe that was the cause of the delay? :shrug:

I have high hopes that everyone in this thread will hear back shortly, they sound as if they want to hit the ground running since they are a bit behind!

Also got the secondary app today. From what I know WSU runs their application process almost like mini-cycles. Starting at the end of July they send batches of secondaries to students (who have been screened.) They then conduct their interviews in cycles as well. So essentially the more cycles they go through the more limited the seats become. But for all who have not received secondaries fear not, for WSU has the largest single medical school campus in the nation, they have plenty of seats to offer (close to 300.) I have also heard that applicants are assigned a numerical value, so the ones that do not make the cut from the mini-cycle they were in are carried into the next mini-cycle as to maintain a fair play field (some mini-cycles might be extremely competitive, while others not so much.) Again I am only a pre-med student but thought it might be helpful to some to pass on what I know.

The original email said they would be sending out the secondaries before the end of July. I still haven't rec'd the secondary yet. Hope they start getting them out soon. Only a couple of folks have reported getting it so far.

I don't have a secondary from Wayne State yet. OOS and below their 10th percentile for GPA, so maybe that's why. Does anyone know what their screen is like?

EDIT: Just received their secondary! Just waiting on three more secondaries, and I will have received secondaries from all 43 schools I applied to!

Last edited:
got one also. do i really wanna go here is the question. i am in state.

Finally got my secondary from Wayne. The things I'll do to move back to Michigan.