2015 Doctoral Program Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CogNeuroGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would try and start a thread for those who are applying to doctoral programs to matriculate in Fall 2015.

I applied to:

The University of Texas at Dallas (Ph.D. in Cognition and Neuroscience)
Nova Southeastern University (Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology)

I wasn't going to apply, but after finding out that my husband got into their (Nova Southeastern) Pharm.D. program, we aren't getting any younger, and from the several visits we made over the past 2 years, I liked the program and campus.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought I would try and start a thread for those who are applying to doctoral programs to matriculate in Fall 2015.

I applied to:

The University of Texas at Dallas (Ph.D. in Cognition and Neuroscience)
Nova Southeastern University (Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology)

I wasn't going to apply, but after finding out that my husband got into their (Nova Southeastern) Pharm.D. program, we aren't getting any younger, and from the several visits we made over the past 2 years, I liked the program and campus.

Good luck OP and to every one applying for programs this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
With tomorrow being December 1st, I just wanted to say good luck to all those applying to graduate programs this year.

Reactions: 6 users
I second this! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to PhD in Clinical Psychology programs at Arizona State, Boston University, Columbia, City College, U. Denver, Drexel, Emory, Marquette, Michigan State, U. Montana, and USC. This will be a long month or two of waiting!

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
I applied to George Mason, Tennessee-Knoxville, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Central Michigan, and North Carolina-Greensboro. I've got a few more masters apps to go but all my doctoral apps are in. Let the wait begin. Good luck everyone!

It'll be a long few months indeed. My stomach is upset just thinking about it :vomit:
I'm glad to know I'm not alone though!

Last edited:
I applied to PhD in Clinical Psychology programs at Arizona State, Boston University, Columbia, City College, U. Denver, Drexel, Emory, Marquette, Michigan State, U. Montana, and USC. This will be a long month or two of waiting!
Who did you apply to work with at City College?

UCSB, USC, UCLA, Loyola University in Chicago, NYU, University of Washington, UC Berkeley, Columbia, and SDSU/UCSD- I applied to a variety of programs (counseling, clinical, and social work) because my research interests generally span across the fields. I am very eager to hear back from schools, this is my second time applying and I have a few more pubs, better GRE scores, and some more letter writers, so I hope something works out! If not, I'll try to find a position as a lecturer or lab manager. Good luck everyone!!!! :)

Its always interesting to see how different the schools people are applying to are.

Last edited:
Hello fellow applicants!

Here's my list (no particular order)

1. Univeristy of Indianapolis
2. Louisville
3. Southern Illinois
4. IUPUI
5. Xavier
6. Marshall
7. UNC Greensboro
8. Wright State
9. Indiana State

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I applied to Clinical Psych PhD programs at University of Memphis, UT Knoxville, East Tennessee State, Ole Miss, Northern Illinois, Univ Illinois Urbana (Clinical/Community psych), Purdue, Univ of South Alabama (Clinical/Counseling psych), and Southern Methodist Univ.

I'm SO dang happy to be done with the applications, and feeling nervous but peaceful about the whole situation (if that makes sense). However, the thought of not receiving any offers this year is troubling because I SO don't want to have to do this whole application mess again! Tracking down LOR was not fun.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I applied to Clinical Psych PhD programs at University of Memphis, UT Knoxville, East Tennessee State, Ole Miss, Northern Illinois, Univ Illinois Urbana (Clinical/Community psych), Purdue, Univ of South Alabama (Clinical/Counseling psych), and Southern Methodist Univ.

I'm SO dang happy to be done with the applications, and feeling nervous but peaceful about the whole situation (if that makes sense). However, the thought of not receiving any offers this year is troubling because I SO don't want to have to do this whole application mess again! Tracking down LOR was not fun.

I completely agree! I still have two applications to submit - Wayne State (Due 12/15) and CU Colorado Springs (Due 1/1) - But the thought of going through this process again next year is heartbreaking and terrifying at the same time. Tracking down LOR and staying on top of them to get things submitted on time was 100% harder than I had expected. I really (really) hope I don't have to do that again next year.

I feel calmly confident and cautiously optimistic (again, if that makes sense?) - There's nothing I would have done differently in the years leading up to now, or in my applications themselves, so it's all out of my hands now!

I agree so much. I still have four more apps to go for masters programs, but after that the idea of having to go through the entire process again--especially because I'd like to move away from my undergrad institution and it was extremely helpful to be local with my letter-writers this go round--makes me feel kind of sick. I expected to feel frantic waiting for offers but I actually don't. It's all out of my hands now. I imagine once January rolls around it'll be a different story.

Who did you apply to work with at City College?
Their website says they accept students to the program as a whole rather than under specific faculty, but I do remember a space on the app to include professors I would be interested in working with, so I listed a few who had interests related to mine. Did you also apply there?

Hi, everyone. I applied to mostly Ph.D. programs in Clinical Psychology, but I also applied to two Ph.D. programs in Counseling and a few Master's in Mental Health Counseling programs. I applied to U-Mass Boston, Clark University, Boston College, Assumption College, Salem State, University of Maine, University of Maryland (Baltimore), University of Maryland (College Park), University of Cincinnati, and Virginia Tech. I've been spending way too much time searching through the results search on TGC, and refreshing my e-mail. Waiting is agony!

Hello everyone. After weeks of labor and love, I finally completed my final graduate school application for this year :) I'm applying to joint MA/Ph.D programs in Clinical Psychology, with most of my POI's concentrating on the biological factors of cognition and emotions.

Here's my list (in no particular order)

1. University of Florida
2. University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
3. Georgia State University
4. University of Louisville
5. University of Arizona
6. University of North Carolina - Greensboro
7. University of Pennsylvania

Good luck to everyone on getting accepted to your dream program!

I applied to South Alabama's program too! I thought I was the only one.

I applied to South Alabama's program too! I thought I was the only one.

That's awesome! Yeah, it was pretty random, but it's accredited and I like the dual-emphasis, so we shall see :) Who did you apply to work with? I specified an interesting in Langhinrichsen-Rohling and McDermott.

Massive love for Marty Rohling. That letter will carry you for the early part of your career.

I actually applied to work with Jennifer Langhinrichsen-Rohling - Google tells me they are spouses! :)

That's awesome! Yeah, it was pretty random, but it's accredited and I like the dual-emphasis, so we shall see :) Who did you apply to work with? I specified an interesting in Langhinrichsen-Rohling and McDermott.
I applied for Dr. Labbe, Langhinrichsen-Rohling, and Dr. Phillip. I liked the dual emphasis as well, and I live two hours away from the school! Do you mind if I ask you what your stats are? I have a 3.6 GPA and a 300 on the GRE, so I don't know how competitive I am.

That's so cool! You'll have to be sure and let me know if you hear anything. I've got a 3.89 cumulative gpa and a 326 on the GRE, so my scores are decently above the average admitted data BUT keep in mind that it so isn't all about these stats. They look at quality of research experience, fit with program and POI, etc. I don't think my scores are going to get me in and I don't think yours are going to keep you out. :cat::highfive:

:uhno: ....I would probably place my bets on you.

lol, thanks JoePianist. I sincerely appreciate the vote of confidence. :) There are other variables to be considered though- I completed my BA online, and my research experience is with a non-profit rather than in a psych lab. SO, I'm keeping my fingers crossed but honestly, who knows.

lol, thanks JoePianist. I sincerely appreciate the vote of confidence. :) There are other variables to be considered though- I completed my BA online, and my research experience is with a non-profit rather than in a psych lab. SO, I'm keeping my fingers crossed but honestly, who knows.

Your credentials seem solid to me -- as long as you made a strong case for yourself (focused on strengths on CV and SOP) and applied to programs and mentors whose general research interests closely matched yours, then I think you have a realistic shot. Plus, for a newly-emerging clinical program like South Alabama with an average of 50 applicants per year, I'd be greatly surprised if they didn't offer you an interview at least

@JoePianist Thank you! I definitely tried to emphasize the strong aspects of my application, as well as a clear fit with both POI and program...I'm feeling (as I believe someone above mentioned) *cautiously optimistic* about the process (while still obsessively checking my email and making sure my ringer is on loud). :laugh:

At the end of the day, I know how crazy competitive psych PhD programs are these days and I'm trying to be realistic about the process. Que sera, sera.

Is anyone else having some regret over the programs they applied to? I applied to 10 great fit schools I'm very excited for, but am also now thinking "oh I wish I had applied to that school too!" when these new posts come up, haha.I guess you gotta draw the line somewhere.

That's so cool! You'll have to be sure and let me know if you hear anything. I've got a 3.89 cumulative gpa and a 326 on the GRE, so my scores are decently above the average admitted data BUT keep in mind that it so isn't all about these stats. They look at quality of research experience, fit with program and POI, etc. I don't think my scores are going to get me in and I don't think yours are going to keep you out. :cat::highfive:
Okay thanks. Good luck!!

Is anyone else having some regret over the programs they applied to? I applied to 10 great fit schools I'm very excited for, but am also now thinking "oh I wish I had applied to that school too!" when these new posts come up, haha.I guess you gotta draw the line somewhere.

My list of schools started at around 20, and I forced myself to whittle it down to 12, but some of the schools on that list were tough to let go. I could tell that some of my letter writers were already a little irked that they would have to write/send a dozen letters, but with these programs being so competitive, there's really no alternative!

I could tell that some of my letter writers were already a little irked that they would have to write/send a dozen letters, but with these programs being so competitive, there's really no alternative!

This was my situation, too. If it wasn't for the LOR aspect (and the $$$), I probably would've applied to many more.

This was my situation, too. If it wasn't for the LOR aspect (and the $$$), I probably would've applied to many more.

I made an excel spreadsheet to track my grad school expenses and it's depressing to put it lightly, and that's not even including interview costs :|

Seriously. After the GRE, sending transcripts, and the actual application fees... with that being said though, I can't help but keep my fingers crossed to have to spend even more $$ in the form of interview expenses. ;)

Has anybody applied to a program where someone else has posted that they received an interview invite? I just saw that Memphis sent out an email to schedule a phone interview for someone and it gave me a mini heart-attack. I guess I better get used to that!

Last edited:
I applied to

North Dakota State University - Clinical Science
Mississippi State University - Clinical
University of Southern Mississippi - Counseling
Arizona State University - Counseling
University of Texas - Counseling
University of South Carolina - Clinical-Community
University of Rhode Island - Clinical

I was planning on applying to another ten programs, but ran into transcript issues with one of my undergraduate schools. The waiting is killing me!

How is everybody doing? I was feeling really peaceful and calm until this week, when I began the nasty habit of checking my email, SDN, and gradcafe approximately every 11.6 seconds.

:confused:

I just got my first interview invite! It's nice having some good news early on to offset the inevitable bad news down the road.

I have all my application sites bookmarked in one folder, and every morning I open them all up and check to make sure nothing's been updated. I've always had email push notifications on my phone, but lately I've been checking my 'junk' folder a few times a day to catch anything that might have slipped between the cracks. I'm not expecting to hear anything else before 1/1/15, so I'm going to try and scale back my overzealousness during the holidays, but we'll see how that goes.

Congrats briarcliff! That is really exciting :) I have been checking on a few of my application statuses as well, but seeing the "under review" etc is just driving me crazy so I am going to try to refrain from doing that for a couple of weeks.
I'm similarly telling myself that I'm not likely to hear anything from schools until into January, but unfortunately thus far it hasn't quelled my neuroticism. Hopefully the holidays will provide some distraction.

I was doing pretty well, taking on a "come what may" attitude, but the past couple days I've been checking my email, SDN, and TGC obsessively. I actually miss being at school because at least there I had plenty of distract me. I don't expect to hear anything until after New Year's but you never know.

Hi, everyone. I applied to mostly Ph.D. programs in Clinical Psychology, but I also applied to two Ph.D. programs in Counseling and a few Master's in Mental Health Counseling programs. I applied to U-Mass Boston, Clark University, Boston College, Assumption College, Salem State, University of Maine, University of Maryland (Baltimore), University of Maryland (College Park), University of Cincinnati, and Virginia Tech. I've been spending way too much time searching through the results search on TGC, and refreshing my e-mail. Waiting is agony!
What is TGC??

I just got my first interview invite! It's nice having some good news early on to offset the inevitable bad news down the road.

I have all my application sites bookmarked in one folder, and every morning I open them all up and check to make sure nothing's been updated. I've always had email push notifications on my phone, but lately I've been checking my 'junk' folder a few times a day to catch anything that might have slipped between the cracks. I'm not expecting to hear anything else before 1/1/15, so I'm going to try and scale back my overzealousness during the holidays, but we'll see how that goes.
Which program for the interview?

Burge

Hey, Has anyone heard from UT? I've heard some contradicting info.

Last edited:
Is there going to be a rejection thread? Got my first rejection last week..

That's quick and straightforward. I'd love if folks that weren't interested in me were upfront about it! Although I guess if there was a slimmer of hope they'd change their mind I wouldn't want them to reject me first anyway....

Mixed feelings. Hopefully thats the only one you get!

I'm sorry to hear that mc625510. I hope you are keeping your head-up, and that you get lots of good news from here on out. :luck::xf:

I think rejection and acceptance threads would be really helpful. I know on GradCafe you can specify accepted and rejected statuses, but it may be a helpful thing on SDN also. mc625510, if you'd like to start one other people would probably appreciate it and follow suit. I know I will participate.

Hi everyone!
I applied to Phd Clinical for the following schools - minus the indicated Psyd's

University of Denver (Psyd)
Pace University (Psyd)
Teachers College
University of Montana
University of Rhode Island
Alliant International University - CSPP
Nova Southeastern University
New School for Social Research- (masters advanced standing into Phd)

*I should mention I am particularly interested in multiculturalism and programs that emphasize that/professors research interests.

Last edited:
I see that LSU Clinical problem was put on probation this year and that Forest is closing. My guess is many applied to these programs before these recent announcements. I wonder if these programs will refund any application fees?

Last edited: