2015 Doctoral Program Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see that LSU Clinical problem was put on probation this year and that Forest is closing. My guess is Many applied to these programs before these recent announcements. I wonder if these programs will refund any application fees?

I just read about LSU. If they lose accreditation, then there will be 0 accredited clinical programs in the state of Louisiana. If that happens, then I'm sure LA's RxP legislation will be enticing to FSPS looking to setup shop in a new market.

Members don't see this ad.

I just read about LSU. If they lose accreditation, then there will be 0 accredited clinical programs in the state of Louisiana. If that happens, then I'm sure LA's RxP legislation will be enticing to FSPS looking to setup shop in a new market.

In Louisiana, the RxP training at the postdoctoral level is through Alliant University. Louisiana Tech has an APA accredited PhD Counseling Psychology program. They were also on probation until their 2013 review.
Chicago SPP has a campus in New Orleans and Fielding has a Louisiana cohort.

All of the students at Forest will have to transfer as they aren't going to do a "teach out." My guess is they will have to apply to other PsyD FSPS programs and transfer credits.

Last edited:
*Bump*

How is everyone? Anything new? Have we all spontaneously-combusted due to anxiety??

Members don't see this ad :)
All I know is that my application was submitted for admissions review. But I do remember one person telling me that Nova doesn't officially review applicants until after Jan. 8th.

Reactions: 1 user
Haven't heard a peep from any of my schools, not even a "Happy Holidays" or "Happy New Year" email. Really looking forward to the start of my final semester of undergrad on Monday. I'll have plenty to distract me...

What is going on with the LSU program? I always assumed they had a strong training program.

If I remember correctly (this was before my time), but NYU once had a clinical program that lost its accreditation. Makes you wonder how bad these programs must be since the APA has no problem accrediting the Argosys & Alliants of the world.

*Bump*

How is everyone? Anything new? Have we all spontaneously-combusted due to anxiety??

Any day now! My phone battery is always near dead because I'm compulsively refreshing my email. Yikes.

Now that it is officially one day after the program's deadline, I am anticipating something, and I am anxious :p

Two (unofficial) rejections received so far, and expecting rejections from everywhere, sadly. My undergrad grades are not up to snuff, which is taking away from the rest of my application (which already includes a Masters, research experience, etc.).

Actually, after receiving these rejections, I am significantly less anxious. It's not the end of the world, I suppose.

I'm really sorry to hear that suzypep. Did they give any advice or mention anything you can do to improve your app? I'm really happy to hear that the rejections helped to relieve your anxiety! Don't count yourself out yet-not all schools will place the same weight on the same aspects, you know?

I'm really sorry to hear that suzypep. Did they give any advice or mention anything you can do to improve your app? I'm really happy to hear that the rejections helped to relieve your anxiety! Don't count yourself out yet-not all schools will place the same weight on the same aspects, you know?

My POI at one school said there was obviously nothing I could do about my undergrad transcript, but I could re-take the GRE (current scores: V:98%; Q:49%; A:98%) and try to boost my Q score, and also try to publish the papers I'm working on currently (I have one published at the moment). The other school did not look at the rest of my application because I was under the GPA cut-off, so no real advice from there.

I'm a bit disappointed at the amount of weight placed on undergrad GPA, given that it has been ~4 years since I was in undergrad and I have done so much since then, but maybe everything happens for a reason, you know? Maybe I'm meant to be a Broadway star. Is Broadway less competitive than clinical psychology programs? Maybe...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My POI at one school said there was obviously nothing I could do about my undergrad transcript, but I could re-take the GRE (current scores: V:98%; Q:49%; A:98%) and try to boost my Q score, and also try to publish the papers I'm working on currently (I have one published at the moment). The other school did not look at the rest of my application because I was under the GPA cut-off, so no real advice from there.

I'm a bit disappointed at the amount of weight placed on undergrad GPA, given that it has been ~4 years since I was in undergrad and I have done so much since then, but maybe everything happens for a reason, you know? Maybe I'm meant to be a Broadway star. Is Broadway less competitive than clinical psychology programs? Maybe...

I kinda know how you feel. That's a shame about your GPA considering you seem to have done all you could do to prepare yourself to apply. I'd think your more recent and more relevant work and your achievements in psych would be more important. Hopefully there is a school who will feel that way.

I graduated with my BA several years ago as well, and have dedicated the past couple years to making myself more competitive for this: I got straight A's in grad school and have my MA in psych, I took 3 courses for my GRE prep (my Q score still isn't the greatest but my only other option left was to hire a private tutor), I did research and wrote a thesis, I presented at conferences, I just finished preparing a manuscript to submit to a journal. I have at least 1 glowing letter of rec. I didn't get to read the other 2 but I know and trust my letter writers. I was proud of my statement of purpose. I worked really hard on it and got lots of feedback. I've spent a lot of time and money all towards this, so it will definitely hurt if no one even thinks I'm worth even bringing in for an interview. But we've done all we can and for now it's out of our hands.

I'm trying to stay realistically optimistic but I'm already drafting a "What to Do When Everyone Rejects You" thread in my head. Broadway is definitely an option...I'm thinking of moving to SoCal, where I'll spend my nights tending bar and my days rollerblading up and down the boardwalks.

I'm trying to stay realistically optimistic but I'm already drafting a "What to Do When Everyone Rejects You" thread in my head. Broadway is definitely an option...I'm thinking of moving to SoCal, where I'll spend my nights tending bar and my days rollerblading up and down the boardwalks.

Ooh, yes, California! I'm going to steal your idea. It's so cold in Toronto.

I think it's definitely a good idea to remain optimistic for now - it's still early, and you sound like you've worked really hard to get to where you are. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (and everyone).

I'm drafting the same thread in my head already too. Fingers crossed for both of you. It's still early, there's hope!

Here is my list, if it helps. I have a lot of schools (all with faculty that I fit with), as I only wanted to go through this process once:

PsyD
Indiana State University
Indiana U of Pennsylvania

Clinical
Oklahoma SU - invites already went out, so I think I was rejected.
U of South Dakota -
Arizona SU -invites already went out, so I think I was rejected.
U of Mississippi
Indiana U Purdue U Indy - rejected
U of North Dakota
UNLV

Counseling
U of Southern Illinois Carb
U of Akron
U of Nebraska-Lincoln - rejected (oddly, as I had two solid fits there)
Purdue
Washington State University
U of Houston
U of Kansas
Texas Tech
U of Louisville - Had interview, think it went really well.
Texas A&M
U of tenn Knoxville- invites already went out, so I think I was rejected. Cant believe it either, as I thought I had the best fit there.

Arizona SU -invites already went out, so I think I was rejected

I hope only some invites went out for ASU. On 12/30, I got an email from them saying that my letters of rec did not upload properly (I had received confirmations that they were submitted prior to 12/1 deadline). So, my letters actually did not get added to my file until this Friday 1/9 (ughhhhh), which is when my last letter writer got back into the office to email it. So maybe there's a chance they're still reviewing them? Unless they're just humoring me. Anyway, I'll cross my fingers for us.

U of tenn Knoxville- invites already went out, so I think I was rejected. Cant believe it either, as I thought I had the best fit there.

@SharkBait13 I only saw one UT-Knox Counseling invite go out (on Friday) listed on SDN and zero on grad cafe. Do you have any insider knowledge that all invites went out? (Fistbump for applying to a ton of schools and loving/feeling like a great fit with Tennessee Counseling though, I'm right there with you!)

I'm trying to stay realistically optimistic but I'm already drafting a "What to Do When Everyone Rejects You" thread in my head. .

Realistically optimistic is exactly how I feel/am trying to feel. I vacillate between that and moments of panic. YAY.

@suzypep & @qualpsych it sounds like you both have worked really hard to overcome the early part of your education, and you both have achieved some awesome things. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things pan out positively for you both, because the process can be frustrating enough as is. :xf:

Regarding UT Knox- I'm bummed about this, too, but for the clinical program. I heard all invites have been extended for at least one POI, so I emailed the grad secretary to follow-up. I will update back if I hear anything.

Well, I just got my first rejection. It was post phone interview, from U of Memphis. It's a great program, and I wasn't a great fit. My research topic was definitely related to POI's interests, but I think the direction I wanted to take it was only tangentially related and I had a hard time articulating what I was looking for. :(

Oh, well. At least now I've gotten my feet wet in the rejection waters....

I'm also disappointed regarding UT-Knoxville. I thought I had a good shot there. At this point, I only really have hope for one school.

Well, I just got my first rejection. It was post phone interview, from U of Memphis. It's a great program, and I wasn't a great fit. My research topic was definitely related to POI's interests, but I think the direction I wanted to take it was only tangentially related and I had a hard time articulating what I was looking for. :(

Oh, well. At least now I've gotten my feet wet in the rejection waters....

So sorry to hear about your rejection. It's always so hard to take. Hopefully better news will come soon.

Is it safe to say that if we haven't heard back from Arizona State that we can consider ourselves rejected at this point? I had awesome fit but my GRE score in Q was not high enough I don't think, considering they consider themselves a pretty strong quant program.

Does everyone who applied to Arizona State still have an application status that says "in review"? Has anyone received a rejection? At this point I just want to hear SOMETHING so I can stop compulsively checking the status of at least ONE application. :(

@SharkBait13 I only saw one UT-Knox Counseling invite go out (on Friday) listed on SDN and zero on grad cafe. Do you have any insider knowledge that all invites went out? (Fistbump for applying to a ton of schools and loving/feeling like a great fit with Tennessee Counseling though, I'm right there with you!)

Fistbump right back at ya!
I have no clue. I actually have a draft email written up to ask my POI of the situation, but I am not sure if it would seem pushy at this point. I am wondering if maybe the person on grad cafe got an invite for the clinical and just mistakenly posted counseling.

Boy, if this process doesn't turn us all into neurotics, then it'll be a miracle...

Reactions: 1 users
Is it safe to say that if we haven't heard back from Arizona State that we can consider ourselves rejected at this point? I had awesome fit but my GRE score in Q was not high enough I don't think, considering they consider themselves a pretty strong quant program.

Does everyone who applied to Arizona State still have an application status that says "in review"? Has anyone received a rejection? At this point I just want to hear SOMETHING so I can stop compulsively checking the status of at least ONE application. :(

Oh boy I really hope not since I didn't find out my application was incomplete until a month after the deadline! I'm worried no one even saw my app since my uploaded letter files were apparently unreadable. Then again, if I get rejected, I can blame technology and not my own inadequacy. Last time I checked, all my app statuses still said "under review." I know that's not helpful at all, sorry. I thought the submission part and all those application fees were bad, but this part's pretty brutal, isn't it?

Thanks Suzypep- I appreciate it! :highfive:

...I thought the submission part and all those application fees were bad, but this part's pretty brutal, isn't it?

^^This times 1,000! I had NO idea this part would be so difficult! Silly me, thinking the hard part was over...

Fistbump right back at ya!
I have no clue. I actually have a draft email written up to ask my POI of the situation, but I am not sure if it would seem pushy at this point. I am wondering if maybe the person on grad cafe got an invite for the clinical and just mistakenly posted counseling.

Boy, if this process doesn't turn us all into neurotics, then it'll be a miracle...

If this process doesn't, internship apps probably will ;) And then you get to do post doc apps. Fun fun!

I spoke to someone about the NSU program who is very familiar with it, and evidently there is some standard that for "APA purposes" there is only so low a GRE can be until the program has to say no because it falls below the APA standard.

Your credentials seem solid to me -- as long as you made a strong case for yourself (focused on strengths on CV and SOP) and applied to programs and mentors whose general research interests closely matched yours, then I think you have a realistic shot. Plus, for a newly-emerging clinical program like South Alabama with an average of 50 applicants per year, I'd be greatly surprised if they didn't offer you an interview at least

Is their applicant pool that small? I also applied to the combined program, though I cited Labbe and Currier as my POIs.

Is their applicant pool that small? I also applied to the combined program, though I cited Labbe and Currier as my POIs.

Yep, the outcome data for last year states that they had 56 applicants. There may be a slightly higher number of applicants this round, as typically after becoming accredited schools see higher numbers of applicants each cycle, but I bet it is still under 100! The past three years had 57, 59, and 56 applications though, so who knows!

Last edited:
I'm still waiting to hear anything from:

East TN State
South Alabama
Ole Miss
Urbana-Champaign (although I saw one or two invites out, so I'm not sure if these have already been extended?)
UT Knox (although, again, likely rejection as interviews have been extended for a week or so)

Hello fellow applicants!

Here's my list (no particular order)

1. Univeristy of Indianapolis
2. Louisville
3. Southern Illinois
4. IUPUI
5. Xavier
6. Marshall
7. UNC Greensboro
8. Wright State
9. Indiana State

Louisville clinical psychology (PhD) alumus here...go Cards!!!

Good luck everyone!

I see that LSU Clinical problem was put on probation this year and that Forest is closing. My guess is many applied to these programs before these recent announcements. I wonder if these programs will refund any application fees?

Do you know any specifics of why the LSU program was placed on probation? Man, that's huge.

Is there any sort of thread going about questions to ask for interviews? Is it appropriate to ask about finding and stipends? I feel like you shouldn't talk about money but it's super important.....

It is definitely appropriate to ask about funding and stipends. I would first do my homework and not ask questions that can easily be gleaned from materials already available though. One thing that can sink you on interviews is to ask questions that you could have very easily found the answer to. If it's listed on their website, it looks like you didn't do any preparation for the interview.

Got my first official rejection this morning. I'm not surprised (there was a miscommunication with one of my LORs) but still stings.

Got my first official rejection this morning. I'm not surprised (there was a miscommunication with one of my LORs) but still stings.

Sorry to hear, dear. It's such a difficult process.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry, Rose Tyler. But remember, you're awesome. :horns:

You can ask for an alternative date. I will say that, in general, committees generally view a lack of interview acceptance outside of emergencies as a lack of interest in the program. Like you said, it's not high on your list, and it comes through and is seen that way on the other side too.

Just make it clear when you contact them that you have already scheduled another interview. If they can't accommodate, that's on them. If you just decline teh interview with no reason or attempt at an alternative, don't plan on being ranked.

I wanted to provide some insight while getting some thoughts. (For the sake of gosh, please do not let this turn into a PsyD vs PhD Discussion. [feel free to find that discussion in a million threads]):

I've been on two interviews (PsyD) with several scheduled in the near future (at PhD and PsyD). At my most recent PsyD interview/open house, I was surprised that there was no discussion of research beyond a dissertation. This meant no poster presentations, conferences, authorship, or professional organizations. I fully understand the PsyD model and the emphasis placed on training practitioners rather than researchers, but this was concerning. Whether a PsyD or PhD we have to be researchers in some regard or at least possess the competencies.

Also, I was surprised about the financial approaches taken during each interview (PsyD). Both discussed costs, but both minimized it in different ways; the first not really going into detail, and the other making it seem like psychologists make money pretty quickly. In my opinion, the latter was more concerning because it felt like they were selling the degree and the program (mind you this is a university based/affiliated program which most would say is a top ten PsyD program [not a FSPS]). I understand that at the end of the day these programs are businesses, but there's a fine line between attracting the best students and selling it to the misinformed. But that's just it, the disclosure was there, so I wonder what the thought process here. There were a lot of distraction tactics used throughout which was baffling.

At the end of the day, I felt weird although I had a great interview. I'm seriously considering withdrawing my apps to PsyD programs after this experience.

Reactions: 2 users

I just noticed a generic rejection went out from there, according to TGC, but I haven't heard anything about either an interview or a rejection. I haven't seen activity on a few of my schools, unless the applicants they're contacting don't go on these forums. I'm assuming I have rejections from Emory and U Southern Cali sadly...I should've known my warm-climate schools would be on this list...and probably Marquette and BU rejections. Still waiting to hear from ASU, U Denver, Michigan State, Columbia. I thought the waiting part would be done by the end of this month but maybe not :meh:

I wanted to provide some insight while getting some thoughts. (For the sake of gosh, please do not let this turn into a PsyD vs PhD Discussion. [feel free to find that discussion in a million threads]):

I've been on two interviews (PsyD) with several scheduled in the near future (at PhD and PsyD). At my most recent PsyD interview/open house, I was surprised that there was no discussion of research beyond a dissertation. This meant no poster presentations, conferences, authorship, or professional organizations. I fully understand the PsyD model and the emphasis placed on training practitioners rather than researchers, but this was concerning. Whether a PsyD or PhD we have to be researchers in some regard or at least possess the competencies.

Also, I was surprised about the financial approaches taken during each interview (PsyD). Both discussed costs, but both minimized it in different ways; the first not really going into detail, and the other making it seem like psychologists make money pretty quickly. In my opinion, the latter was more concerning because it felt like they were selling the degree and the program (mind you this is a university based/affiliated program which most would say is a top ten PsyD program [not a FSPS]). I understand that at the end of the day these programs are businesses, but there's a fine line between attracting the best students and selling it to the misinformed. But that's just it, the disclosure was there, so I wonder what the thought process here. There were a lot of distraction tactics used throughout which was baffling.

At the end of the day, I felt weird although I had a great interview. I'm seriously considering withdrawing my apps to PsyD programs after this experience.

I just want to throw something out there for consideration on this topic and that is the observation that the field of professional psychology seems ripe to split up into at least three distinct groups in the coming decades: (1) folks who want to stay true to the Boulder model (scientist-practitioner) paradigm as indicated by growing dissatisfaction with APA and their accreditation procedures (leaving some to even pursue a different accreditation paradigm); (2) folks who want to focus on 'practice' of professional psychology without fussing with research or the scientific underpinnings of their intervention/assessment procedures; and (3) the 'medical psychologist,' junior psychiatrist, or psychopharmacologist (in the wake of prescription 'privileges' for psychologists making headway in several states).

My own state psychological association (Louisiana) has been rocked by fractious politics between the 'medical psychologist' folks (who now are even licensed by the state medical board rather than the state board of psychology (which is an entirely different humongous concern/topic in its own right). So, looking forward into the future, I think any aspirant who is getting ready to enter the field of professional psychology is going to need to think long and hard about what their model of themselves as a practicing psychologist is going to (hopefully) look like: (a) a person with 'one foot in the literature, one foot in the clinic' using science to help people psychotherapeutically [or maybe they even want research/academia], in which case I would say the PhD is the best route; (b) a person who 'just wants to practice' - this is not something I would recommend to anyone (but that's a longer discussion topic), but in this case you can go with any degree that will allow you to 'just practice' and that could be an LCSW or master's degree (with LPC) depending on your region/state; (c) a prescribing mental health provider (which, if you know you want to do this before going to graduate school, I would recommend the medical school / psychiatrist route).

Eeesh, the program I interviewed with last week via phone (they only conduct phone interviews) has apparently already notified of acceptances. A big ole Ugh to this process. Although, at least I'm getting pretty good at dealing with rejection.... *silver lining*

I'm starting to think maybe I'm a lot worse at interviews than I thought I was. :bucktooth: