2015 Grad Intern Offers!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why did you lower it by 5k?

gross margins down 2%.. For indies AND chains due mostly to aggressive PBM MAC pricing and backend DIR fees in medicare D

Members don't see this ad.

This. If there is a wags or cvs in his neighborhood , they'd be offering total comp of decently over 200k .. yeah you gotta work weekends .. but it's likely almost double the money .

My health insurance and retirement alone are worth 30k/year .. not even looking at profit sharing, bonuses, other insurance benefits , stock options, and vacation (beyond 2 weeks)

LOL at your belief that you'd able to 1) take vacation when you want it 2) get over 2weeks in your first year of employment.

From your previous posts I've often questioned if you are even a pharmacist at all but I'll amuse myself by responding further.

The fact that you'd even compare the quality of life in working at an INDY (yeah you have to work weekends,but..)versus being a micromanaged slave to the corporate profit chasing MBA chain drug store overlords shows that you're a person who is willing to risk the basis of your professional livelihood( your pharmacist license ) in order to meet some corprate metric and get that $1/hr raise every few years.

Can you tell me which aisle I can find the tomato soup on?

Head hunters charge between $10-20k for placing a pharmacist. And no it's not a contract position... They'd be a Direct employee.

For a pharmacist as "worldly" as you, your lack of value for having the opportunity to work "bankers -type" hours is quite telling. You likely don't have a family ( or much of a personal life)

30-40% of ones salary? The average RPH makes $120k per year. Benefits paid for BY THE EMPLOYER hardly reach that amount.

I could go on but you're merely a waste of time.

So defensive! You're right I wouldn't be a good fit for your position. Don't prefer to work for bosses that have hair triggers and flip out.

Benefits add 45k on top of my base salary of 130k. So the 30-40k figure is accurate at least for me.

Also 9-6 are not bankers hours. I would hate working until 6 every day. I'd rather have some nights and get out at 3 or 4 some days like I do now. Don't mind every third weekend either as it means I'm getting some weekdays off.

And I still say the salary offer is low, especially given the 45 hr/week schedule.

I think it's telling that you're having to advertise on an Internet forum for this once in a lifetime opportunity to work for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
So defensive! You're right I wouldn't be a good fit for your position. Don't prefer to work for bosses that have hair triggers and flip out.

Benefits add 45k on top of my base salary of 130k. So the 30-40k figure is accurate at least for me.

Also 9-6 are not bankers hours. I would hate working until 6 every day. I'd rather have some nights and get out at 3 or 4 some days like I do now. Don't mind every third weekend either as it means I'm getting some weekdays off.

And I still say the salary offer is low, especially given the 45 hr/week schedule.

I think it's telling that you're having to advertise on an Internet forum for this once in a lifetime opportunity to work for you.

No, it's the GEOGRAPHIC location that makes this a tougher than usual position to fill. If this was in DFW I'd have 50 applicants in a week.

but let's go back to your $45K in benefits....how exactly are you making that calculation and coming to that total?

Here's an industry average overview:
A)Health ins: About $12K a year paid for by employers

B)401K match? Retail average is about 5% of $18,000 ($900 DOLLARS)

So---That's a TON of Vacation/ sick leave/ personal days and stock options....$32K worth?

I'd love to READ your explanation...

Last edited:
Head hunters charge between $10-20k for placing a pharmacist. And no it's not a contract position... They'd be a Direct employee.

For a pharmacist as "worldly" as you, your lack of value for having the opportunity to work "bankers -type" hours is quite telling. You likely don't have a family ( or much of a personal life)

30-40% of ones salary? The average RPH makes $120k per year. Benefits paid for BY THE EMPLOYER hardly reach that amount.

I could go on but you're merely a waste of time.

I think I have hurt your feelings LOL

I already have a better schedule than most pharmacists so I have to decline your "once in a life time opportunity" to work for your small pharmacy in the middle of nowhere.

That's a TON of Vacation/ sick leave/ personal days=
I think I have hurt your feelings LOL

I already have a better schedule than most pharmacists so I have to decline your "once in a life time opportunity" to work for your small pharmacy in the middle of nowhere.

Better schedule than M-F 9am-6pm? I did once as well...I had 7am-3pm WHILE WORKING FROM HOME. But that job went the way of the dodo due to PBM consolidation.

For Pharmacists with Retail experience, this job opportunity is tantamount to finding a needle in a haystack.

The truth is many Pharmacists would prefer to simply complain about their lack of staffing at their store, their overwhelming corporate metrics and their crappy work schedules than to do something about it. It's a plague that afflicts our profession and it's why we are being marginalized to the extent that we are.

Speaking of...you strike me as the type who is full of opinions but falls WAY short when it comes to taking action.

This. If there is a wags or cvs in his neighborhood , they'd be offering total comp of decently over 200k .. yeah you gotta work weekends .. but it's likely almost double the money .

My health insurance and retirement alone are worth 30k/year .. not even looking at profit sharing, bonuses, other insurance benefits , stock options, and vacation (beyond 2 weeks)

Hey....aren' t you the poster who swore that BMB and myself were the SAME PERSON? ...just something else that should completely discredit your posts.......

That's a TON of Vacation/ sick leave/ personal days=

Better schedule than M-F 9am-6pm? I did once as well...I had 7am-3pm WHILE WORKING FROM HOME. But that job went the way of the dodo due to PBM consolidation.

For Pharmacists with Retail experience, this job opportunity is tantamount to finding a needle in a haystack.

The truth is many Pharmacists would prefer to simply complain about their lack of staffing at their store, their overwhelming corporate metrics and their crappy work schedules than to do something about it. It's a plague that afflicts our profession and it's why we are being marginalized to the extent that we are.

Speaking of...you strike me as the type who is full of opinions but falls WAY short when it comes to taking action.

You strike me as someone who is bitter and who needs to have the last word. I am sure you don't have many friends.

m-f 9-6 is not at all appealing to me. You keep touting it like its Gods gift to scheduling. Getting home at 630-7 every weekday? Not remotely interested. The day is gone at that point.

And if the position is so hard to fill because of the location....that's a reason to increase the salary. Not give a lowball offer. Chains are offering significantly more than that to work in that area.

As for benefits I didn't pull that number out of thin air. My company calculates and breaks it down in my compensation statement.

There are more benefits than health insurance and days off. But yeah, my 4 weeks vacation plus 1 week PTO does contribute quite a bit.

You strike me as someone who is bitter and who needs to have the last word. I am sure you don't have many friends.

I rather enjoy illuminating and correcting the falsehoods that are spread and projected on the INTERNETZ, particularly when it comes to my profession. 99% of you are not pharmacy owners and truly have no idea about the BUSINESS aspect of Pharmacy. You in particular are a perfect example of the old saying " A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing."

While we can agree that the number of pharmacy schools graduates combined with shrinking reimbursements will ultimately result in stagnation of Pharmacist salaries and joblessness, you and I differ on pretty much everything else in regards to the profession of Pharmacy. Your reluctance to admit on how great of an opportunity working M-F 9am-6pm in an independent setting where customer service is paramount, with more than adequate staffing and little to no micro-management occurs shows a complete disconnect from those who actually PRACTICE Pharmacy.

You di
m-f 9-6 is not at all appealing to me. You keep touting it like its Gods gift to scheduling. Getting home at 630-7 every weekday? Not remotely interested. The day is gone at that point.

And if the position is so hard to fill because of the location....that's a reason to increase the salary. Not give a lowball offer. Chains are offering significantly more than that to work in that area.

As for benefits I didn't pull that number out of thin air. My company calculates and breaks it down in my compensation statement.

There are more benefits than health insurance and days off. But yeah, my 4 weeks vacation plus 1 week PTO does contribute quite a bit.

You don't work in community pharmacy do you?

4 weeks vacation AND 1week of PTO?

You could bank 3 months of vacation per year; in community chain pharmacy you'd be lucky to be able to utilize even 10 days of it. What type of pharmacy are you EMPLOYED by?

You di

You don't work in community pharmacy do you?

4 weeks vacation AND 1week of PTO?

You could bank 3 months of vacation per year; in community chain pharmacy you'd be lucky to be able to utilize even 10 days of it. What type of pharmacy are you EMPLOYED by?

I work in a chain community pharmacy and I have no issues using every last hour of my paid time off and vacation.

B)401K match? Retail average is about 5% of $18,000 ($900 DOLLARS)
This is wrong. It's 5-6% of your salary, or about $7,500.

Stock options/RSU/ESPP/bonus can be a lot, especially for a PIC. Easily tens of thousands of dollars.

I think some people are including the employer paid half of Social Security ($7,347) and Medicare ($1,800) in their total compensation, but this would also be included at an independent pharmacy as an employee, so there's no difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I rather enjoy illuminating and correcting the falsehoods that are spread and projected on the INTERNETZ, particularly when it comes to my profession. 99% of you are not pharmacy owners and truly have no idea about the BUSINESS aspect of Pharmacy. You in particular are a perfect example of the old saying " A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing."

While we can agree that the number of pharmacy schools graduates combined with shrinking reimbursements will ultimately result in stagnation of Pharmacist salaries and joblessness, you and I differ on pretty much everything else in regards to the profession of Pharmacy. Your reluctance to admit on how great of an opportunity working M-F 9am-6pm in an independent setting where customer service is paramount, with more than adequate staffing and little to no micro-management occurs shows a complete disconnect from those who actually PRACTICE Pharmacy.
You work for CVS.. The absolute worst chain pharmacy in terms of it employing a professional work environment and you're not at all swayed by M-F 9am-6pm with Every WEEKEND OFF?

Further you get 4 weeks of vacation and 1 week of PTO BUT WE ALL KNOW you will NEVER, EVER get to utilize more than 10 days of vacation PER CALENDAR YEAR.

Cvs lies about a lot of things " we care" etc; it's plainly obvious that they're lying to you about your benefits as well. $45k in benefits? Ha!

I feel dirty for even having engaged you in this thread. You'll have your come-to-Jesus moment when in 2 years they replace you with a $40/hr new grad..

^ Did you just quote yourself? How old are you? You become petty when someone doesn't believe the crap you are saying. 50s? 60s? It is time to put down that Vicodin bottle and call it a day.

I get out of the office before 5, like most of my coworkers. I also make more than most pharmacists. Hard to believe huh?

You need to have the last word so go ahead and knock yourself out.

You work for CVS.. The absolute worst chain pharmacy in terms of it employing a professional work environment and you're not at all swayed by M-F 9am-6pm with Every WEEKEND OFF?

Further you get 4 weeks of vacation and 1 week of PTO BUT WE ALL KNOW you will NEVER, EVER get to utilize more than 10 days of vacation PER CALENDAR YEAR.

Cvs lies about a lot of things " we care" etc; it's plainly obvious that they're lying to you about your benefits as well. $45k in benefits? Ha!

I feel dirty for even having engaged you in this thread. You'll have your come-to-Jesus moment when in 2 years they replace you with a $40/hr new grad..

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. CVS has enough shortcomings that you shouldn't need to lie to make them look bad lol.

I took all 4 weeks last year and have already taken 3 with the 4th approved and coming up this year. I have no clue where you are getting this 10 days per calendar year.

I am my own boss and make my own schedule. I work 8-4 3 days a week, 2-9 1-2 days a week and have 2 out of 3 weekends off. I would never take a 9-6 M-F schedule where I would never be home for dinner with my family and miss kids sports every single night.

I'll take my own experience over your paranoid ranting as to what my benefits are actually worth. The extra 12k or so I netted from the ESPP last year isn't even included. Or the 11k bonus plus stock options. Not sure what WeCare etc has to do with benefits. You're just throwing buzzwords and attempting to recruit anti-CVS people to your side. CVS certainly has many drawbacks. Being stuck working 9-6 M-F with a micromanaging supervisor with a hair trigger temper who has to get in the last word and is always right is not one of them. Neither is the low ball, laughable pay to work in an undesirable area in the middle of no where. No thanks.

I work in a chain community pharmacy and I have no issues using every last hour of my paid time off and vacation.

Same , in my first year, I have already taken PTO worth $8000 .. Yeah I don't get all consecutive days but its still worth money .

I am also curious if this indie pays double on holidays ? my double time this year has been worth about $4000 .

And also in agreement with the poster above me .. 401k match is ~$8000 .. now I would understand if bf7 can't make a 401k being an indie but I would hope to see at least that much pay instead, or some other type of cash benefit.

Total comp value for a "good" pharmacist at a chain in a hard to staff area is undeniably >200k ..

^ Did you just quote yourself? How old are you? You become petty when someone doesn't believe the crap you are saying. 50s? 60s? It is time to put down that Vicodin bottle and call it a day.

I get out of the office before 5, like most of my coworkers. I also make more than most pharmacists. Hard to believe huh?

You need to have the last word so go ahead and knock yourself out.

You've yet to provide to the board the arena in which you practice Pharmacy....If I were a betting man I'd say that you don't even actually practice Pharmacy. Academia? Big Pharma?

Same , in my first year, I have already taken PTO worth $8000 .. Yeah I don't get all consecutive days but its still worth money .

I am also curious if this indie pays double on holidays ? my double time this year has been worth about $4000 .

And also in agreement with the poster above me .. 401k match is ~$8000 .. now I would understand if bf7 can't make a 401k being an indie but I would hope to see at least that much pay instead, or some other type of cash benefit.

Total comp value for a "good" pharmacist at a chain in a hard to staff area is undeniably >200k ..

my INDY isn't open on holidays (closed Black Friday too)--and 401K reduces taxable income for me. Of course I offer that. Greater than $200K for a staff? Good luck with that.

This is wrong. It's 5-6% of your salary, or about $7,500.

Stock options/RSU/ESPP/bonus can be a lot, especially for a PIC. Easily tens of thousands of dollars.

I think some people are including the employer paid half of Social Security ($7,347) and Medicare ($1,800) in their total compensation, but this would also be included at an independent pharmacy as an employee, so there's no difference.

I stand corrected on the employer contribution. It's roughly the same as mine ($5K)

Those high dollar bonuses are for stores doing 2500+ Rxs a week. Some RPh's are willing to risk their license and peace of mind all in the name of making an extra $10K. You play Russian roulette long enough and you're bound to take a bullet. Some are keen to this point much earlier than others.

CVS/chain stores will move on but you'll likely be unemployable with a mark on your license and an over abundance of new grads with NO blemish marks on theirs....

You've yet to provide to the board the arena in which you practice Pharmacy....If I were a betting man I'd say that you don't even actually practice Pharmacy. Academia? Big Pharma?

I don't want you to go into a jealous rage.

I am not sure who won this pissing match but it was a tough read.

Location aside, BF7 is a businessman and I feel it is not a lowball salary. I think we forget a thread few years back about Indy owner in Cali hiring grads at $80,000. I understand it is Cali versus small town in TX. I wonder what kind of profit you are turning at that location though!

California indy hiring at $80k? Wow. Even my hardcore CVS buds wouldn't leave for that.

I don't want you to go into a jealous rage.

I'm hardly jealous. I'm not even 40 and I never have to actually fill an RX again if I So chose. I'm simply operating as an owner at this point.

However unlike you, I actually enjoy practicing pharmacy and I'm looking to start another store. To do that requires management time that I will no longer have to monitor the back end of my existing location. Hence the need for a more motivated and Tech Savy ( can you identify an Ethernet cable and go to Ipchicken?)PIC...

9-6 m-f? Yeah, no thanks. No holidays either? No thanks.

Hope you find a sucker soon.

9-6 m-f? Yeah, no thanks. No holidays either? No thanks.

Hope you find a sucker soon.

Are applicants really in a market to be commanding their own schedule and salaries? I mean M-F/9-6 isn't terrible in the first place. I am sure there will be a hoard of applications in that office, especially those from the Class of '16 and beyond.

Are applicants really in a market to be commanding their own schedule and salaries? I mean M-F/9-6 isn't terrible in the first place. I am sure there will be a hoard of applications in that office, especially those from the Class of '16 and beyond.
If my location was in the DFW, Houston or Austin regions I'd have 50 applicants within a week. It's in rural (30 mins outside the Odessa midland metroplex) West Texas. But yes, you're correct--M-F 9am-6pm are "bankers hours" in retail pharmacy nowadays...

9 to 6 does this include an hour lunch? So basically whoever takes this would miss every event with their kids.

9 to 6 does this include an hour lunch? So basically whoever takes this would miss every event with their kids.

This was my point but I got shouted down for it. Bankers hours lol. I get out at 4 pm 4 out of 5 days. I'm all set with the 9-6 thanks.

What the hell are you talking about? Maybe I went to a weird school in a weird area of the country but my little league baseball games were at 7. My high school band concerts were at 7:30. My elementary school plays were at 7.

What the hell are you talking about? Maybe I went to a weird school in a weird area of the country but my little league baseball games were at 7. My high school band concerts were at 7:30. My elementary school plays were at 7.
My kids track and tennis matches start around 5...if it's home I would catch the end and if its away I couldn't even go assuming half hour drive to school. This is middle school not elementary though.

This was my point but I got shouted down for it. Bankers hours lol. I get out at 4 pm 4 out of 5 days. I'm all set with the 9-6 thanks.

Be careful not to disagree with him. He's going to call you a nazi.