2015 Guide to Dental School Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When the document refers to "OUT of STate", Does that also include international students?

Anyone else struggling with FAP? I sent EVERYTHING they asked for and still got denied cause they apparently have trouble going through some TAX papers :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else struggling with FAP? I sent EVERYTHING they asked for and still got denied cause they apparently have trouble going through some TAX papers :scared:

Someone posted on another thread that the first instructions they saw did not ask for W-2's but updated instructions did. Did you send w-2's?

Someone posted on another thread that the first instructions they saw did not ask for W-2's but updated instructions did. Did you send w-2's?

Yup, and 1040. They responded saying "you only provided your parents 1040 and not your own". Im not stupid, I sent both, but yet it just seemed like they didn't care much to go thru my papers thoroughly

If I understand correctly, the 2015-2016 ADEA Guide 1-35 shows that some schools have added some requirements.

Other required
Arizona biochem , ana , physio, all 3/4; English comp
Midwest bioc, ana, micro, physio, etc
Colorado biochem, mirco 3/5
Michigan biochem 3/5, mirco 3/5
Nevada biochem 3/5, anatomy 4/6
Tennessee mirco 1/2, histo 1/2

I have not taken A&P or microbio but have taken biochem, should I not apply to these schools? I believe these schools are OOS friendly last I remember but could be wrong. Shoul I remove them from my list?

If I understand correctly, the 2015-2016 ADEA Guide 1-35 shows that some schools have added some requirements.
Other required
Arizona biochem , ana , physio, all 3/4; English comp
Midwest bioc, ana, micro, physio, etc
Colorado biochem, mirco 3/5
Michigan biochem 3/5, mirco 3/5
Nevada biochem 3/5, anatomy 4/6
Tennessee mirco 1/2, histo 1/2

I have not taken A&P or microbio but have taken biochem, should I not apply to these schools? I believe these schools are OOS friendly last I remember but could be wrong. Shoul I remove them from my list?
Or you could simply take those courses since you will encounter them in ds anyway.

Last edited:
Or you could simply take those courses since you will encounter them in ds anyway.
I am just going to apply to schools I meet requirements for, thanks again for the information Doc! Appreciate all your hard work. Narrowed down my school through your info for course requirements and all.

Last edited:
I am just going to apply to schools I meet requirements for, thanks again for the information Doc! Appreciate all your hard work. Narrowed down my school through your info for course requirements and all.
You do know you can apply and complete them before matriculation-right?

@doc toothache is there an update for section 4 of the guide? thats the only one that hasn't been 2015 updated according to the dates

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it's worth calling schools if they would waive or consider your application if you do not have their new academic requirements? I am interested in ASDOH/Colorado though have not taken and probably will not have time to take Microbio and/or A&P

This is such a great and informative document. I have been trying to find something like this. Thanks!

Hi doc t,

It seemed like that I couldn't find the information regarding the international applicant.

I am looking for acceptance rate for international applicants. In addition, I was wondering if dental schools are expecting higher stats (GPA, DAT etc.) from international applicants?
2014 International Students DS Admission Statistics
You may not find specific information on international applicants, but it does stand to reason that inter applicants will be held to a higher level than domestics applicants. It is also likely that inter applicants will be a separate subgroup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi I'm new here and I need help, I'm studying Dentistry abroad which has a 6 year curriculum-- I'm done with the first two years, which has all the pre-dental school requirements (I'm not sure if they would mean anything in the US.)

I'm not so sure if I want to become a dentist, I have my immigrant visa already and I'm thinking of doing dental hygiene there in the US.

Just in case I decide to be a dentist, what would be the best path to take? Finish dentistry here then apply for international/advanced standing program there, or take up a bachelor's in dental hygiene?

Thank you and sorry, I'm still confused with the threads.

Hi I'm new here and I need help, I'm studying Dentistry abroad which has a 6 year curriculum-- I'm done with the first two years, which has all the pre-dental school requirements (I'm not sure if they would mean anything in the US.)
I'm not so sure if I want to become a dentist, I have my immigrant visa already and I'm thinking of doing dental hygiene there in the US.
Just in case I decide to be a dentist, what would be the best path to take? Finish dentistry here then apply for international/advanced standing program there, or take up a bachelor's in dental hygiene?
Thank you and sorry, I'm still confused with the threads.
1. With one exception, all US dental schools require all prequisites to have been done at a US institution.
2. Ambivalence is not in high demand in either the US or any other country.
3. The best path is to first decide what you want to do when you grow up.

I wonder if estimated costs account for schools that classify you as in-state from year 2 (say UConn)?

Sorry if asking for too much! :D

I wonder if estimated costs account for schools that classify you as in-state from year 2 (say UConn)?
Sorry if asking for too much! :D
"Estimated costs" are not tailor made for an individual.

Just looking at this I'm guessing some schools like Arizona say they accept 127 but only 76 actually end up going.

Loma Linda says they accept 93 and 93 are enrolled so the % interviewed accepted is lower because the actual number of actual acceptances handed out isn't given? I doubt they had 100% of people matriculating haha

Just looking at this I'm guessing some schools like Arizona say they accept 127 but only 76 actually end up going.

Loma Linda says they accept 93 and 93 are enrolled so the % interviewed accepted is lower because the actual number of actual acceptances handed out isn't given? I doubt they had 100% of people matriculating haha
Percentage interviewed/accepted are probably the least reliable stats available.

Your guide states that the average DAT score for Black/African American students is around a 15AA. Is it still the case today or is it more like an 18AA today. Just wondering.

Last edited:
Your guide states that the average DAT score for Black/African American students is around a 15AA. Is it still the case today or is it more like an 18AA today. Just wondering.
It is unlikely that the scores have had such a dramatic change in the 7 year period.

Hi there,

I'm applying this year and right now I'm very overwhelmed by the information, especially about the timing of application. My prehealth advisor pushes me to get the committee letter done by the beginning of April and suggests me to submit the application at early June. So right now I'm working on recommendation letters and personal statement this semester. However, I didn't take DAT yet and I plan to prepare it in May and take it at the end of June( so i have two months full time to work on DAT). However, my advisor told me that the committee letter would be submitted at the end of August, and the application would be under reviewed for one month. So I'm little confused about the timing and I don't know when my application can be mailed out and should I worry about my schedule?
Thank you!

Hi there,

I'm applying this year and right now I'm very overwhelmed by the information, especially about the timing of application. My prehealth advisor pushes me to get the committee letter done by the beginning of April and suggests me to submit the application at early June. So right now I'm working on recommendation letters and personal statement this semester. However, I didn't take DAT yet and I plan to prepare it in May and take it at the end of June( so i have two months full time to work on DAT). However, my advisor told me that the committee letter would be submitted at the end of August, and the application would be under reviewed for one month. So I'm little confused about the timing and I don't know when my application can be mailed out and should I worry about my schedule?
Thank you!
SDN gurus suggest sending application on opening day, which is usually in the beginning of June. Do keep in mind that some schools will not consider an application complete without DAT scores. Committees do have their own schedule. Your May and August date for committee letter are unclear as well as the one month for application review.

Last edited:
Hello..

I am an Internationally trained dentist, preparing for nbde part 1 right now. I want to know about shadowing and volunteering opportunities. I have heard that gaining shadwing experience from a dental school is better than gaining one from a local dentist? Is it so? I suppose, shadowing both are of equal importance. Secondly, I was trying to get in touch with VCU for shadowing experience but they told that they accept only dental and pre-dental students. Last but not the least, I am looking for some shadowing opportunity in new york and I don't know how to proceed? Can anyone guide whether how to find a dentist or a hospital or any dental school to shadow?
P.S.. I have a visitor visa for US and is one allowed to get involved in such shadowing thing under this category of visa? Please help!!

Hello..

I am an Internationally trained dentist, preparing for nbde part 1 right now. I want to know about shadowing and volunteering opportunities. I have heard that gaining shadwing experience from a dental school is better than gaining one from a local dentist? Is it so? I suppose, shadowing both are of equal importance. Secondly, I was trying to get in touch with VCU for shadowing experience but they told that they accept only dental and pre-dental students. Last but not the least, I am looking for some shadowing opportunity in new york and I don't know how to proceed? Can anyone guide whether how to find a dentist or a hospital or any dental school to shadow?
P.S.. I have a visitor visa for US and is one allowed to get involved in such shadowing thing under this category of visa? Please help!!
As a foreign graduate, the presumption is that you are familiar with most, if not all, procedures encountered in general dentistry. In your case, the shadowing would serve the purpose for you to become acquainted with how dentistry is practiced here. A few days should be more than enough. If you plan, on practicing general dentistry, it is not clear why shadowing institutional dentistry would be better.

Last edited:
how does BU have 114% of interview/acceptance..?(pg 37) How can they accept more than they actually interviewed..? Am i reading it wrong?

how does BU have 114% of interview/acceptance..?(pg 37) How can they accept more than they actually interviewed..? Am i reading it wrong?
The calculated percentage is based on the numbers indicated in the ADEA Guide. Accuracy of the numbers printed is not guaranteed. There are some schools where an interview is not necessarily mandatory for admission.

Is this what the actual ADEA guide looks like as well? I feel like I don't need to invest in it if all the information is right here :) thanks you for doing this!

Is this what the actual ADEA guide looks like as well? I feel like I don't need to invest in it if all the information is right here :) thanks you for doing this!
Not even close. Applying to ds without an ADEA Guide is like skating on very thin ice.

Do you have any information on chances of getting off waitlist for schools?

Do you have any information on chances of getting off waitlist for schools?

It helps to send the school a letter of intent. There has been many cases where the letter of intent has produced instant results for some of our clients. Make sure the letter of intent conveys why you want to attend the school and what you are currently doing in your student/professional life to improve your application.

It helps to send the school a letter of intent. There has been many cases where the letter of intent has produced instant results for some of our clients. Make sure the letter of intent conveys why you want to attend the school and what you are currently doing in your student/professional life to improve your application.
How original!

Reactions: 5 users
I wonder if anyone can clarify some of the statistics provided on Doc Toothache's Tables from the 2015-2016 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.
I am trying to create my list of schools and have a few questions.
1) Is OOS status revelant for both public and private schools? It appears to be important, but I can't understand the bias if one is applying to private schools.
2) Looking at BU's data, for example, 5% OOS are accepted but the OOS enrollee's make up 58% of the class. Is the Percentage of Enrollee's table the more valuable as I consider my chances?
3) As I make a table for COA (I have the new ADEA Guide), I can see big differences in the data provided by each school for Instruments/Books/ Supplies and Estimated Living Expenses. Are either of these categories discretionary to a some extent, meaning I should compare tuition costs alone? In some cases the schools show dramatic swings in all categories of costs from year to year which is confusing. For example, at UNC, tuition and fees for D4 non-residents drops $18K from D1. What part of the COA do you feel I should compare?
4) No related to data, but a general question. It is impossible to do campus visits all over the country prior to applying, yet the comon advice is to apply to schools where you could see your self living for the next fours years. How can one make this assessment? Other than general assumptions based on weather or big city/suburban/rural, what has helped you choose?

I wonder if anyone can clarify some of the statistics provided on Doc Toothache's Tables from the 2015-2016 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.
I am trying to create my list of schools and have a few questions.
1) Is OOS status revelant for both public and private schools? It appears to be important, but I can't understand the bias if one is applying to private schools.
2) Looking at BU's data, for example, 5% OOS are accepted but the OOS enrollee's make up 58% of the class. Is the Percentage of Enrollee's table the more valuable as I consider my chances?
3) As I make a table for COA (I have the new ADEA Guide), I can see big differences in the data provided by each school for Instruments/Books/ Supplies and Estimated Living Expenses. Are either of these categories discretionary to a some extent, meaning I should compare tuition costs alone? In some cases the schools show dramatic swings in all categories of costs from year to year which is confusing. For example, at UNC, tuition and fees for D4 non-residents drops $18K from D1. What part of the COA do you feel I should compare?
4) No related to data, but a general question. It is impossible to do campus visits all over the country prior to applying, yet the comon advice is to apply to schools where you could see your self living for the next fours years. How can one make this assessment? Other than general assumptions based on weather or big city/suburban/rural, what has helped you choose?
All schools have a bias for in or out of state.
As an OSS, the percent of enrollees is critical.
Not much is "discretionary" when it comes to instruments, supplies, etc. The sum total of the package is more important since that is likely to be your out of pocket expense, when it is all said and done.
D4 costs are usually lower than D1 because most of the instruments/supplies have already been purchased.
Visiting campuses is a great idea, but unless there are multiple acceptances, visiting a dozen campuses is not much of a benefit to an applicant.

Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this but as this kinda has to do with admissions ; am I supposed to submit my application with everything filled out before I take the DAT? I'm planning on taking it end of august, but I was originally under the assumption that I would not submit until my DAT was taken and scores uploaded.

Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this but as this kinda has to do with admissions ; am I supposed to submit my application with everything filled out before I take the DAT? I'm planning on taking it end of august, but I was originally under the assumption that I would not submit until my DAT was taken and scores uploaded.
Some schools will not review an incomplete application. Since DAT is an integral part, choose wisely.

The 2015 Guide to Dental School Admission is now available. Please note that, as of 6-13-15, pages 1-35 reflect the information from the 2015-2016 ADEA Guide. The remaining information to be revised is in progress. For a complete daily class schedules for years 1 through 4 see: How Difficult is DS? Part II-Schedules Year 1-4

Comments/reviews on the Guide, subjects included/excluded are welcomed (via post, pm or e-mail- [email protected]).

PERSONAL STATEMENT CRITIQUE IS AVAILABLE. The ps can be sent via pm or to [email protected].

UK really accepts 72 out-of-state out of 119 out-of-state interviewee's? The wait-list on that must move fast as they only have 33 seats.