2015 HHMI Med Fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pheochromocytoma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I searched on SDN and didn't see any threads on HHMI med fellowship since a looooong time ago, so just thought to ask if anyone had heard back from HHMI and was put on a sort of "alternate list". What does that mean? Does that list actually moves quickly? I don't think I have heard of that at all so just wondering what people know about it. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The acceptance deadline was march 20, so I'm assuming the waitlist would have started moving after then? Good luck

Saw your other edited thread "2015 HHMI waitlist." Why did you edit that one and stick to this one? I imagine you received your answer.

Anyway, in case anyone else has the same question and searches...

Correct, announcements have been made 3/20/15. If someone declines before the last deadline, sometime before April 3rd, which was when we were required to submit the last bit of formal acceptance paperwork, I think they go down their internal list and offer alternate students by email. However, that's pretty darn rare.

The only other scenario I can think of would be if someone had something happen, like an injury or family illness that would preclude them from conducting their research. However, with the insane amount of prep and planning, I don't think they'd award an alternate and would instead keep the funding for the following year and award it to an additional student.

If you're still curious, I'd suggest e-mailing the coordinator, whose email is available via the website. If you have any other questions, I'm happy to help. I'll start an "Ask an HHMI Fellow" thread as we near August so incoming students have an opportunity to ask questions. I wish I had that when I applied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks! I edited that one cuz I thought it was not under research so probably people don't read it anyways but didn't want to be the annoying one posting twice. :)

And yes I did receive my answer... Didn't get off of the waitlist.

I'm sorry to hear that, my friend. That said, don't lose hope if research is your passion. If you still want to become a physician scientist, you by all means can.

A close friend of mine didn't receive the summer award. But this "failure" (definitely not a failure, I assure you), it incentivized him to work even harder at a year-long app. He worked his butt off and was awarded the year-long that he'll start May 1. He just took step this past Saturday. Should you or anyone else want to know more or require advice down the road, you know where to find me.

Sincerely,
G

Reactions: 1 user