2015 MCAT & Application Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

songl4a

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

So the new MCAT starts in April and there's a later date in May. I heard that both of these tests' scores will be held longer than normal in order to "normalize" them. Is there any basis to this rumor?

If so, won't this put 2015 test takers at a disadvantage since apps would open before scores were sent out?

And since both test-date scores are being set out together, is there any real advantage to taking the April exam?

Thanks!

It isn't a rumor. It is a fact.

Yes, it will put people at a slight disadvantage. If you are applying through TMDSAS, it will be a bigger disadvantage as apps are open a month earlier than AMCAS.

But AAMC (for April and May administration's only) will provide test takers with a preliminary score estimate 2-3 weeks after the exam, so you can decide if you want to retake it or hold off on applying.

Both test scores are not being sent out together. April test scores are released mid-June. May test scores are released end of June. Another incentive you might get from taking the April exam is the ~$150 gift card they are giving to all April test-takers. That means it will only be $150 to take the new MCAT as opposed to $300. A pretty good deal, I must say! Maybe you can use it to buy new MCAT books or alcohol if you need to retake, or pay app fees if you score well enough to apply. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately $150 is not much reconciliation.

I wish instead that they opened apps a little later this year. It's already bad enough that we have to take a new test with minimal prep material without having a time disadvantage as well.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/understanding-the-late-application-disadvantage.1107309/
Exactly why so many people rushed to take the old exam and filled up every seat months ahead of time
Definitely not a great situation for people taking it in Spring

On the plus side, if you have a strong background in biochem and psych/sociology you may be better equipped than the rest and do better on the curve than you would have next year when all the prep material is fully up to date again

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately $150 is not much reconciliation.

I wish instead that they opened apps a little later this year. It's already bad enough that we have to take a new test with minimal prep material without having a time disadvantage as well.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/understanding-the-late-application-disadvantage.1107309/

Edit*
According to the AAMC website under, "How long will it take for scores to be reported?" they've accounted for this and plan to release scores before apps open.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/faqs/

I'm just slightly confused as to what the exact timeline is since AAMC isn't exactly releasing concrete dates.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/administration/

The dates to release scores are concrete. (Link above)

The FAQ said that they will release scores before AMCAS gets transmitted to schools, NOT when AMCAS first opens.

If you take the april test and submit your application early (getting your scores by mid june), you will not be at a disadvantage in terms of your submission date. Even if you take the May one, you can still submit your amcas, do your secondaries without having your MCAT score sent

Hello,

So the new MCAT starts in April and there's a later date in May. I heard that both of these tests' scores will be held longer than normal in order to "normalize" them. Is there any basis to this rumor?

If so, won't this put 2015 test takers at a disadvantage since apps would open before scores were sent out?

And since both test-date scores are being set out together, is there any real advantage to taking the April exam?

Thanks!

This is on reddit