2015 MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Punjabi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get a MCAT review book that has all the high yield content covered in the MCAT and use that book to highlight information I'm learning now. The problem is that I have to take the new 2015 MCAT and there is very little information about it. Hopefully someone from here can help clear some of the confusion I have of preparing for this new test.

1. Is there any review books out for the 2015 MCAT?

2. Do the old biological and physical science sections have the same content as the new 2015?

3. Can I use the old science section MCAT review books as a replacement for the new 2015 science sections?

4. How can I prepare early for the new 2015 MCAT?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If it were up to me I would do everything in my power to write the MCAT before 2015.

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to get a MCAT review book that has all the high yield content covered in the MCAT and use that book to highlight information I'm learning now. The problem is that I have to take the new 2015 MCAT and there is very little information about it. Hopefully someone from here can help clear some of the confusion I have of preparing for this new test.

1. Is there any review books out for the 2015 MCAT?

2. Do the old biological and physical science sections have the same content as the new 2015?

3. Can I use the old science section MCAT review books as a replacement for the new 2015 science sections?

4. How can I prepare early for the new 2015 MCAT?

Thanks

I'd start by doing the following. Go to this site and read all about the exam, look at sample passages, and get an idea what they plan to do.

Then also read that it's still a work in progress, and that the final version is a ways away. The likelihood of accurate practice materials at this point in time from a source other than the people deciding on the final changes is minimal. I highly doubt you'll see any review materials available until Fall 2014 for the March 2015 MCAT.

If you read enough at the site linked above, you'll see that they will still be giving the current version in January 2015. I'd plan to take that one if at all possible.

I'd start by doing the following. Go to this site and read all about the exam, look at sample passages, and get an idea what they plan to do.

Then also read that it's still a work in progress, and that the final version is a ways away. The likelihood of accurate practice materials at this point in time from a source other than the people deciding on the final changes is minimal. I highly doubt you'll see any review materials available until Fall 2014 for the March 2015 MCAT.

If you read enough at the site linked above, you'll see that they will still be giving the current version in January 2015. I'd plan to take that one if at all possible.

I will be applying in the summer of 2016 so I can't take the new one. I know there will be a new psychology section but shouldn't the sciences be similar to old MCAT with added emphasis in Biochemistry?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying in the summer of 2016 so I can't take the new one.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm assuming there is a typo in there.

If you are applying in Summer 2016 for entrance in Fall 2017, then you'll be part of the final transition group where applicants will have new and old scores alike. They are asking those applicants to take the new version of the MCAT, but there will still be some applicants with older scores in that pool. Chances are that medical school admissions committees will only be able to compare applicants with common MCAT areas (the three current sections). The fourth score will be uncharted territory (like it was back in 1991 following a major change). However they field the duality of scores, they must take into account that MCAT scores are good for two years, meaning that people taking the MCAT in 2014 and January 2015 will be in the applicant pool through at least the one you are planning to be a part of. It will be interesting what each individual school does to deal with the overlap.

The information on the website explains the requirements to get a decent grade, although my concerns are for 42+ on this matter. How many additional classes and material should I study and will that be enough. I am now a first year pre-med, going for a 5 year program, therefore I have somewhere between 4-5 years to prepare for this exam and achieve some of the skills that are on the requirements for the Med schools in United States. I would love to hear some advice on what is the best option for me, I've been doing research recently