2015 MCAT verbal and psychology.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryomagoku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
People said that verbal practice is the challenging one. And, some people suggested LSAT RC books. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...aps&field-keywords=lsat+rc&rh=i:aps,k:lsat+rc
is this book the one that people suggested?

Also, I need to study for psych and socio part of the MCAT, will it be wise to buy entire set of Kaplan or Princeton which costs less than $100 atm. or just buy the psych/socio book from princeton or kaplan? which book is better?

I am using TBR old one, Kpaplan prep books from old one, the princeton review old one plus hyperlearning, and Examkrackers older version.

What would you say? I'm trying to take MCAT around August or September.

Members don't see this ad.

Having worked with a lot of students on the MCAT Verbal and now CARS, the key to doing well on this section is practice. The students who do well are the ones who do a ton of passages under timed conditions. My recommendation would be to start small, doing one or two passages a day under timed conditions, (If it's a 5 question passage give yourself 8.5 minutes, 10 minutes for a 6 question passage, and and 12 minutes for a 7 question passage). Then once you're six weeks out from your test date, take a CARS practice test every other day or every three days, depending on how many full-lengths you're planning on taking.

The key to is to be comfortable getting through 53 questions in 90 minutes. This is the single most common obstacle every MCAT taker faces. It just takes practice.

People said that verbal practice is the challenging one. And, some people suggested LSAT RC books. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=lsat rc&rh=i:aps,k:lsat rc
is this book the one that people suggested?

Also, I need to study for psych and socio part of the MCAT, will it be wise to buy entire set of Kaplan or Princeton which costs less than $100 atm. or just buy the psych/socio book from princeton or kaplan? which book is better?

I am using TBR old one, Kpaplan prep books from old one, the princeton review old one plus hyperlearning, and Examkrackers older version.

What would you say? I'm trying to take MCAT around August or September.

I used Kaplan for content review and the behavior sciences book is really good. I also recommend using Khan Academy, their psych/soc videos are all very helpful and passages are relevant. Also, its free, so use it!

For CARS, do what the poster suggested above, also get the practice packs from AAMC. Practice over time, the most important thing is to get the pacing down. Treat each passage as if the author is talking to you only (he is communicating, after all). Get used to highlighting key words. Personally I like to highlight adverbs, words that show you the attitude/point of view of the author. Remember, the point of CARS is to see how well you (future doctor) can comprehend/interpret what a patient is telling you. Often times, patients have different motives or different mental states and you must decide what information is pertinent and what isn't.