2015 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATM92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently taken my first practice MCAT exam the other day and those were my stats:

Bio/biochem: 30/59
Verbal Reasoning: 25/53
Psychology/Sociology: 20/59
Physical Sciences: 26/59

Does anyone know how these scores would translate to percentiles? This was actually a diagnostic practice exam, so I haven't done much studying yet. Also, does anyone know how exactly the exam is scored, and if there's a curve or not? So far, I have a 3.7 gpa and great extracurriculars, yet, my biggest fear is the MCAT, so does anyone have any advice to offer?

Members don't see this ad.

Wrong place to post this. We deal with step 1 and 2. The MCAT is distant memory to many of us. Heck, I doubt anyone here actually took the revised MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've recently taken my first practice MCAT exam the other day and those were my stats:

Does anyone know how these scores would translate to percentiles? This was actually a diagnostic practice exam, so I haven't done much studying yet. Also, does anyone know how exactly the exam is scored, and if there's a curve or not? So far, I have a 3.7 gpa and great extracurriculars, yet, my biggest fear is the MCAT, so does anyone have any advice to offer?

I'm not sure about percentiles...but it isn't a good sign if you're getting less than half of each section correct.

Reactions: 4 users
We can't really convert raw scores into percentiles, because a percentile score is how your raw score measured up against everyone else who took the test you did. With that said, your best section was 30 correct out of 59 questions, so it doesn't look good, unless everyone else who took that exam had a hard time.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be taking the exam within two months, so I'm still studying for it. Like I previously mentioned, it was a diagnostic exam to see where I stand. So the exam is scored relative to others as well?

I'm not sure about percentiles...but it isn't a good sign if you're getting less than half of each section correct.

Agree to an extent but initial diagnostic test scores are largely worthless for a variety of reasons. There are countless numbers of people with sub 20 diagnostic scores from companies designed to make them intentionally hard and unreasonable(for the purpose of guaranteeing a score increase after taking their class) who then ended up with 30+ scores on the real thing. The verbal and psych/social however are somewhat of a concern though. You are literally talking about a sub 6 type score there on the verbal per the old MCAT score conversion(and verbal hasn't really changed). Verbal is a section most stubborn to score increases as well.

I'll be taking the exam within two months, so I'm still studying for it. Like I previously mentioned, it was a diagnostic exam to see where I stand. So the exam is scored relative to others as well?

The only score which matters is the score relative to others, which is the percentile score. Percentile scores are directly correlated to the x/45 or x/528 scale. See this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...centile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/.

Don't confuse raw percentage score with percentile score - a raw percentage of 90% could (theoretically) equate to a 99th percentile in one year and a 50th percentile score in another year.

What company was your test from, and what scaled score (472-528) did they give you? Your overall percentage correct is less than 50%, which isn't great, but some test prep companies (notably Kaplan and TPR) have been low-balling MCAT 2015 practice test scores like crazy. Check out the MCAT forum for more info.

What company was your test from, and what scaled score (472-528) did they give you? Your overall percentage correct is less than 50%, which isn't great, but some test prep companies (notably Kaplan and TPR) have been low-balling MCAT 2015 practice test scores like crazy. Check out the MCAT forum for more info.
It was a kaplan exam actually and they gave me a 490. I'm going to be taking the exam on September 12, so I still have a lot of time to prepare.

It was a kaplan exam actually and they gave me a 490. I'm going to be taking the exam on September 12, so I still have a lot of time to prepare.
I wouldn't take it in September (that's less than 2 months from now!) if you just got a 490....

If you check some of the threads on the MCAT forum, you will find that several SDNers who scored in the high 490s and low 500s on Kaplan exams scored well (some of them extremely well) on the actual exam. This thread specifically: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...percentiles-and-practice-exam-scores.1143965/

Keep in mind this is an extremely biased sample, and there aren't any data right now for 490 Kaplan scores. Your best bet, in my opinion, would be to start studying (a lot) and see if you can improve on Kaplan's exams. When you are done or mostly done with your content review, take AAMC's full length and then check out the regressions on the second page of the linked thread to see how you stack up. That will give you the best estimation of whether or not you should postpone your September test. Alternatively, you could just decide to postpone it now and give yourself more time to study, especially since AAMC is supposed to release a scored practice exam sometime this fall. If you are applying next cycle, there's no reason you have to take it in September.

Kaplan's tests were all much, much, much more difficult than the actual one. I don't remember off the top of my head what I was scoring, but I think it was around 500. I got a 517 on the actual thing a week after having a low-ish score on one of the kaplan tests. The official AAMC practice test was much more representative of the actual difficulty of the new test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan's tests were all much, much, much more difficult than the actual one. I don't remember off the top of my head what I was scoring, but I think it was around 500. I got a 517 on the actual thing a week after having a low-ish score on one of the kaplan tests. The official AAMC practice test was much more representative of the actual difficulty of the new test.
I also did Kaplan and agree that they are significantly harder than the real deal (I was 510-515 Kaplan, 527 on MCAT). But a 490 is very worrying. OP would have to hiti the improvement trend to reach 500+, and that might put the OP out of the running for MD altogether (anything below 505 realistically), which is a big risk.

I also did Kaplan and agree that they are significantly harder than the real deal (I was 510-515 Kaplan, 527 on MCAT). But a 490 is very worrying. OP would have to hiti the improvement trend to reach 500+, and that might put the OP out of the running for MD altogether (anything below 505 realistically), which is a big risk.

I agree no way in hell take the MCAT in two months. I'll say a couple things.

1) Kaplan doesn't in anyway resemble the real MCAT. It tests different skills and things. Kaplan is based on facts; both for its science and its verbal where it asks you to find specific facts that alone will answer questions. This is not how the MCAT works. If you want to use Kaplan to brush up your background knowledge fine. This would be great practice for the DAT. But don't pretend that it is any kind of simulation for what the MCAT is like.
2) A 490 is a pretty low preliminary score but more than anything it reveals a complete lack in baseline knowledge. That is something that can be fixed. But it'll take alot of time. You won't be able to completely fill in your background knowledge in 1.5 months.
3) If you really want to see how you do with MCAT logic take an AAMC test. Yes this includes the old ones. Take a verbal section and take a bio section which for the most part are still applicable to this test(verbal for sure, bio's focus has changed but most topics on the old one are still fair game and the MCAT questions on the old AAMC still give very good insight into how they think which matters for this new test). See how you do. If you get a 25/53 equivalent on this for an old AAMC test on the verbal that reveals limitations in your reading comprehension and reasoning ability. That's a bigger issue than a lack of content knowledge.

But anyway, bottom line do not take the test in the near future. You can't argue with a 490 meaning you don't have any kind of background or fundamental knowledge on the material at the level of mastery needed for the MCAT. That has to be fixed and it won't happen in 6 weeks before Sept 12th. I in general don't put much weight on preliminary scores or diagnostics(SDN is loaded with people who had 18-20 diagnostic type scores from Kaplan and who ended up with 30+ ones in real life) but you really need to put in alot of work OP. You aren't magically going to fix all this in 6 weeks.

In my opinion, Kaplan's diagnostic exam for the new MCAT was worthless. It gave me a 504 three weeks before I took the real thing. Ended up with a 518, 97th percentile. If you feel you have mastered the content and are familiar with the new format, go for it. If you think the score is reflective of poor mastery of the content, keep studying. I really don't think 6 months of studying is necessary, but only you can tell if you're ready.

I know what my issue is and I'm currently working on it. As ahoffmann16 said, my preliminary score os reflective of a poor mastery of the content. I took the exam almost not knowing anything, just to see how it was because I had never taken a full practice exam before. Another point is that I finished each section at least 30 minutes earlier than the allotted time, so I was basically rushing through the exam. One last thing which I wanted to mention is that I will strictly be applying to DO not MD.

May I ask what your raw scores were? How many questions did you get right on each section?

In my opinion, Kaplan's diagnostic exam for the new MCAT was worthless. It gave me a 504 three weeks before I took the real thing. Ended up with a 518, 97th percentile. If you feel you have mastered the content and are familiar with the new format, go for it. If you think the score is reflective of poor mastery of the content, keep studying. I really don't think 6 months of studying is necessary, but only you can tell if you're ready.
May I ask what your raw scores were? How many questions did you get right on each section? I just want to know if the raw score would vary or not. Thanks!

No, the actual exam?
Off the top of my head I think I got 1 wrong on Chem/Phys and 1 wrong in Bio/Biochem.

Don't remember for Kaplan practice exams, sorry.

Edit: raw scores-->scaled conversion won't vary, what people mean when they say Kaplan is harder than the real MCAT is that you'll get more raw questions right on the actual test.

Off the top of my head I think I got 1 wrong on Chem/Phys and 1 wrong in Bio/Biochem.

Don't remember for Kaplan practice exams, sorry.

Edit: raw scores-->scaled conversion won't vary, what people mean when they say Kaplan is harder than the real MCAT is that you'll get more raw questions right on the actual test.
Wow, that's very impressive! I have another question if you don't mind. While studying for your exam, did you memorize any organic chemistry reactions?

Wow, that's very impressive! I have another question if you don't mind. While studying for your exam, did you memorize any organic chemistry reactions?
Not while studying for the MCAT but during class, you bet.

Not while studying for the MCAT but during class, you bet.
Do you have any studying tips you could share? Also, I know The MCAT isn't heavy on orgo, so should I bother reviewing the reactions? I took orgo a while ago, and even though I did well in both orgo 1 and 2, I can't remember any reactions of the top of my head.

Do you have any studying tips you could share? Also, I know The MCAT isn't heavy on orgo, so should I bother reviewing the reactions? I took orgo a while ago, and even though I did well in both orgo 1 and 2, I can't remember any reactions of the top of my head.
The new MCAT is indeed very light on orgo. If you did well in both O-chems, I'd just glance over a study guide before the test, nothing more. I don't think any of my memorized reactions from college actually helped.

Use EK, they're really good (since you're already using Kaplan, I assume you know that Kaplan is great as well). I know of people who mix the two for different sections, and report good results.

The new MCAT is indeed very light on orgo. If you did well in both O-chems, I'd just glance over a study guide before the test, nothing more. I don't think any of my memorized reactions from college actually helped.

Use EK, they're really good (since you're already using Kaplan, I assume you know that Kaplan is great as well). I know of people who mix the two for different sections, and report good results.
What about the other sections? Do you have any other general tips? Many thanks!

This is incredibly variable from test to test. The word has been that there is supposed to be less OCHEM on this current MCAT but there are people I know who reported the exact opposite; my friend who took it two weeks ago reported 4-5 OCHEM passages and they were all diverse and challenging and not just the simple know your mechanisms and SN2/E2(stuff like NMR and lab techniques). I think it surprises people how variable the MCAT is from test to test but it really is. You have to be ready for everything. I know Berekeley Review has said they've tracked all these trends and topics and there were topics on the old MCAT in the 90s and 2000's that were supposed to technically come off but still kept showing up. It's a tricky thing.

That said, I do agree with the general point. Out of all the areas to focus your time on, OCHEM should not be ranking at the top of anyone's list.

What about the other sections? Do you have any other general tips? Many thanks!
I'm better at non-STEMs, so I found the Psych/Soc+CARS very easy without any real studying. 95%+ of my time was spent on the 2 BCPM sections. For those, it's just: "how many practice problems can I do without going crazy?" Literally.

Don't stress too much, you'll probably do atleast 500+ (based on Kaplan lowball), so even if you need a retake your first score shouldn't be fatal.

This is incredibly variable from test to test. The word has been that there is supposed to be less OCHEM on this current MCAT but there are people I know who reported the exact opposite; my friend who took it two weeks ago reported 4-5 OCHEM passages and they were all diverse and challenging and not just the simple know your mechanisms and SN2/E2(stuff like NMR and lab techniques). I think it surprises people how variable the MCAT is from test to test but it really is. You have to be ready for everything. I know Berekeley Review has said they've tracked all these trends and topics and there were topics on the old MCAT in the 90s and 2000's that were supposed to technically come off but still kept showing up. It's a tricky thing.

That said, I do agree with the general point. Out of all the areas to focus your time on, OCHEM should not be ranking at the top of anyone's list.
I doubt that there were many questions related to orgo though.

I also found this: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/374012/data/mcat2015-cp.pdf, so orgo isn't stressed that much.