2015 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mjolner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will everyone applying to med school in or after 2015 need to take the new MCAT or will an MCAT taken in 2014 count for a couple of years still?

Members don't see this ad.

People who take the current mcat (up to 2013) will need to take the new version if they decide to reapply in2015 just like everybody else.
It's kind of unfair for those who will have to study an entirely separate curriculum for the new version if they decide to retake it but at least the score doesn't expire for 3 years! :)

People who take the current mcat (up to 2013) will need to take the new version if they decide to reapply in2015 just like everybody else.
It's kind of unfair for those who will have to study an entirely separate curriculum for the new version if they decide to retake it but at least the score doesn't expire for 3 years! :)

Where did you get this information? From my understanding, this hasn't been decided yet.

Examinees will need to be informed that, as of a certain date, medical schools will only accept the new exam with their application. How is that being addressed?

The AAMC and medical school admissions officers are currently considering this question. They are weighing the pros and cons of asking all applicants for the 2016 entering class to take the new exam. They’re also talking about the window within which they would accept scores from the current exam if they decide to accept scores both from the current and new tests for 2016 admission. AAMC and the admissions officers expect to decide on this question in June and will communicate it to stakeholders via e-mail to our 4,000-member listserv (including pre-health advisors and other baccalaureate faculty), postings on the MCAT2015 Web site, and through social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook.

Source: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/faqs/

It would be a little outrageous for AAMC to require everyone entering in 2016 to take the new MCAT, but I guess the decision will be made this summer so you'll have plenty of time to plan. If they keep the 3-year rule, people who take the MCAT now will be able to use it in 2015 (last year of eligibility).

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from admissions at an open house that some schools will completely do away with scores from the 2014 MCAT and require a 2015 score, while other schools will let you use a 2014 score. I think it depends a lot on the school you are looking to apply to. :shrug:

How will averages be computed to the new 60 score to figure out which schools to apply to? SInce it will be the first time, we won't have a frame of reference to go with. Should a school with a 35 average become a school with a 55-60 average? How will the LizzyM score be updated to make it work? I hate being the guinea pig class :(

It seems pretty unfair to not keep the 3 year rule. Getting rid of it basically forces rising sophomores to waste a year when they didn't intend to (same applies to people who took the MCAT a little earlier and didn't get the score they wanted).