2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw that you did 26 secondaries, you have some stamina! I got burned out at 19 and only waiting for Drexel.
lol. I did a lot of recycling towards the end, after the first 10 they were mostly repeated questions.
And I am definitely ready to be done. Final push tonight since Drexel supposedly doesn't have any essays.
My husband got a bottle of 21yo single malt to celebrate with, but we can't crack it til I'm done. Totally don't care it it's the middle of the week and work tomorrow. Cigar and whiskey comes out as soon as they're all in :cigar:

Reactions: 3 users
I feel you, I took mine last year and the wait was killer. Hopefully you will see your score and jump up and down, that's what I did haha

Haha I hope so! I'm nervous I did horribly...

Glad you killed it :) It has to feel good going into the application cycle with a badass score.

First II y'all! Feels great! Miami here I come!!

Reactions: 15 users
Pumped for you! Wish I would have submitted earlier :( I was complete 7/31.
I literally said that it was too early and I need to be patient and look what happened! Your time will come!

Reactions: 1 user
I literally said that it was too early and I need to be patient and look what happened! Your time will come!
If I say it's way too early a dozen more times, will it make the IIs fall into my inbox too? :heckyeah:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
:xf:its too early its too early its too early :xf:

Reactions: 2 users
I just mailed off the paperwork for DO fee assistance today, figure I'll plug slowly at it and submit Sept 1st. It only covers 3 schools so I figure I'll apply to both Western U campuses and Touro-CA. Maybe add one or two more, maybe not.

No reason to rush it, I really don't want to end up paying $1500 deposit and letting it evaporate if I don't have to, but I don't want to have an acceptance and let it slip through my fingers.

Still complete at 24 schools, no II, no rejections. 4 more w/o secondaries.
The thought is, if you have a acceptance you put the money down for the DO program you like best, and if a better deal comes along (i.e. an instate takes you that is 10k less a year). Then you eat the deposit and move on. But if it saves you from applying to another cycle I figure you are saving a least a couple thousand, even if you did have to eat it. Thats how I think about it.

That's awesome! Congratulations!

Thanks for the support everyone! I'm celebrating in NYC tonight!

Reactions: 6 users
:soexcited:
Temple is in, Drexel is still AWOL. Whiskey is poured and about to light a cigar. Hope everybody else has a good night too :D

Am I the only one on here still waiting for a Committee Letter? Help! I've been told it will be uploaded this week.:xf::xf:
On the bright side, it has made me feel less guilty about my snail's pace completing secondaries.

Congrats, @ConsultantMD !!

Also, the MD I am doing research with keeps asking me if I have any interviews yet...argh! I need to not let friendly inquiries rattle me, but it messes with my healthy coping mechanisms of avoidance & distraction!

First II yesterday evening :clap:!

How are you all preparing for interviews? I've read a couple books so far, and I'm hoping that my experience from job interviews will be helpful even though I realize this is a different ballgame.

Reactions: 6 users

How are you all preparing for interviews? I've read a couple books so far, and I'm hoping that my experience from job interviews will be helpful even though I realize this is a different ballgame.
I agree this is way different. What books do you recommend?

And congrats on your first II!

Congratulations! That's huge! Where will you be interviewing?

I agree this is way different. What books do you recommend?

And congrats on your first II!

One that I found helpful was 'Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty' by Samir P. Desai and Rajani Katta. I wouldn't say there was anything that was brand new to me, but I think it covers the basics well. They also include a lot of feedback from other admissions faculty which is nice.

And thank you :)

Congratulations! That's huge! Where will you be interviewing?

Thanks! I'll be interviewing at the University of Arizona - Tucson.

Reactions: 1 users
First II for me! FAU! Super shocked and excited! Chin up guys yours will come!

Reactions: 9 users
Congratulations to all those who received IIs today.

I myself found out that one of LOR writers for my state school didn't include enough details. When I asked her to amend her letter, she wrote back asking if it was really necessary. :( I've already sunk $136 into this school. Not to mention that this being my state school, it would really hurt not to be able to complete my application over a technicality. I wrote back explaining that it is necessary and she hasn't responded yet. Hopefully that means she is writing the amendment. I am glad that this school doesn't really practice rolling admissions. Today has been tough for me. I hope I get an II soon to ameliorate my worries.

I myself found out that one of LOR writers for my state school didn't include enough details. When I asked her to amend her letter, she wrote back asking if it was really necessary. :( I've already sunk $136 into this school. Not to mention that this being my state school, it would really hurt not to be able to complete my application over a technicality. I wrote back explaining that it is necessary and she hasn't responded yet. Hopefully that means she is writing the amendment. I am glad that this school doesn't really practice rolling admissions. Today has been tough for me. I hope I get an II soon to ameliorate my worries.
That sounds like a big mess, I hope that she will come through with the letter. I have been freaking about my letters missing a signature or a letterhead but after BU did not put me on hold for such deficiencies, I'm a bit more relaxed.
How did you find out that there was something missing from her letter, did the school call/email you?

Congratulations those who received IIs today'all

Trust me I know how you feel, after VCU practically rejected me yesterday,I was pretty down, but I know you will be getting some love soon. Somebody actually means what they say about looking at the whole app!

Our state school can be the absolute worst for that kind of stuff

That sounds like a big mess, I hope that she will come through with the letter. I have been freaking about my letters missing a signature or a letterhead but after BU did not put me on hold for such deficiencies, I'm a bit more relaxed.
How did you find out that there was something missing from her letter, did the school call/email you?
I logged into the portal and saw. They didn't even email me! How crazy is that? Anyway the good news is she uploaded it today! I was worried for nothing.

I really appreciate the support on this thread. Being a nontrad is rough sometimes. No one IRL "gets" it. :(

Reactions: 10 users
I logged into the portal and saw. They didn't even email me! How crazy is that? Anyway the good news is she uploaded it today! I was worried for nothing.
Yuck! I have a Monday routine going through all the secondary web sites where I have a applied. (excluding any other OCD checking, of course). So for there have not been any unpleasant surprises but who knows...

Maybe I was lucky but all my letter writers have been fairly cooperative when it comes to jumping through hoops like having to scan the LORs to submit.

It's tough for everyone watching on the sidelines as so many receive II's.

It's tough for everyone watching on the sidelines as so many receive II's.
Yes, but ours will come.
It's early yet ;):xf:

I think the the hardest part in trying to be zen about all this is that I know I have a good app. Sure there are things that need explaining in mine, but they were long ago and I've done a lot to remedy those things in recent years (like many of us here I think). I know it takes a while for them to read through everything and all that, but I feel like I just want to know now since I've been working at this for years. Patience is really the key.
Easier said than done though :)

Nothing to add really, except I got to help hold a neonate for an LP today, exciting/fun/aweful/affirming/interesting all at once. :)

Reactions: 1 users
So I don't know if I'm freaking out or not but the app season is looking pretty grim so far :( most schools I've applied to have sent IIs out to people that were complete after me so it looks like I've been passed over. Do people ever get IIs after they've been looked at once already? Anything I can do to improve my chances at this point (LOI, updates, etc)? Unfortunately it looks like I'll be a third time reapplicant next cycle.

So I don't know if I'm freaking out or not but the app season is looking pretty grim so far :( most schools I've applied to have sent IIs out to people that were complete after me so it looks like I've been passed over. Do people ever get IIs after they've been looked at once already? Anything I can do to improve my chances at this point (LOI, updates, etc)? Unfortunately it looks like I'll be a third time reapplicant next cycle.
:( I have no advice. Everyone keeps saying it's still early.

If you haven't got a rejection, I wouldnt worry too much yet. First time applicant here, but I think it makes sense not to worry yet. How often do these people post their stats that have IIs? I know in the USC/UCI thread it is LizzyM 75+, which are people who are going to get interviews everywhere. Once these people choose their one school, more interviews, etc go out. If you have borderline stats, don't expect things so soon. Just my 2 cents!

I think ii go out pretty randomly. One school gave me ii 2 weeks after completion and one school a day after the secondary. Last cycle I feel like I waited months for ii. I'm a reapplication. Turns out applying in October is a little late.

First rejection tonight, from Mayo.
Still no word anywhere else.
Ice cream is my friend.

I'm in the same boat (passed over). However this is my first cycle. It makes me think i took the wrong track with my PS and how i answered the questions on secondaries. But I haven't received any rejections yet either so I know there's still some hope. I have lower stats (3.5/30) but I know my EC's are phenomenal. I also noticed that many who received II's have top stats. How did your last cycle go? (# apps, # secondaries completed, # interviews, all MD or DO) What have you done to improve your app for this cycle? Did they give you any feedback last cycle? Personally i'm hoping that they sent out their first batch of II's only to stat heavy superstars.

Yeah I'm definitely to the frustrated point. My app was in before and I have better stats than several who have gotten IIs at the same school. Makes me think I did something wrong :-/

For those that applied to Brown, did anyone ask about the 10-year since graduation requirement?
I graduated from undergrad 10 years and 9 months ago.
I love Brown's population medicine program (I'm an Epidemiologist now), but don't want to waste their time and mine.
Anybody?

I will send them an email. I think I'm finally at the I-need-a-group-hug place, you know? :bag::bag:

Complete at 12 schools...radio silence from all.
2 more secondaries in progress.
Still hoping for secondaries from Vanderbilt and Wake Forest.

Also - how do you respond to people that say, "Don't worry! You'll get in."

I smile tightly while my eyes say "HOW CAN YOU KNOW THAT!?!?" :uhno:

Last edited:
For those that applied to Brown, did anyone ask about the 10-year since graduation requirement?
I graduated from undergrad 10 years and 9 months ago.
I love Brown's population medicine program (I'm an Epidemiologist now), but don't want to waste their time and mine.
Anybody?

I will send them an email. I think I'm finally at the I-need-a-group-hug place, you know? :bag::bag:

Complete at 12 schools...radio silence from all.
2 more secondaries in progress.
Still hoping for secondaries from Vanderbilt and Wake Forest.

I actually didn't see that requirement...****. Call them and talk to someone. I think personal contact is more meaningful than an email and shows more interest. If i remember correctly when i went to pay Brown's fee it informed me that all classes could not be more than 5 or 10 years old. I had to go back and use all my graduate courses. I think and hope they see it differently than a flat out these aren't the same courses or a 10 year rule. IMO the person who graduated from undergrad 10 years ago and has since been working in a non science or medically related job is still significantly different than the person who graduated 10 years ago then pursued and achieved a science or medically related PhD and has been working in the field...

Last edited:
Yeah, sadly this is on their site-

Generally, all premedical coursework should be completed within ten years prior to your anticipated enrollment at Brown. Applicants need not have completed all premedical courses at the time of application, but required courses must be completed and documented prior to matriculation at Alpert Medical School. Email ([email protected]) us with questions relating to your preparedness for medical school.

And this -

Eligibility
Individuals who are enrolled or graduates of accredited institutions of higher education in the United States and Canada are eligible to apply. Graduates must have earned their bachelor’s degree within the previous 10 years.

I came across a few schools that seemed to have strict timing requirements like this. Notably, Duke and Jefferson. I'm sure they have good reason, like wanting to keep us old folks out. (I kid!) Those two didn't hurt my feelings, really, but this one does. I like Brown...even if it's an extreme long shot.

I sent an email. Will post their response when I get it.

I didn't even notice that...

The do say "generally..." which maybe means there are exceptions. I don't know how they can legally do the 10 year limit on the bachelors without falling into age discrimination, provided you have recent stuff to show you're still up on all the sciences...dunno.

Let us know what they say. I really like Brown too and hope this doesn't become a huge issue. :xf: