2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, sadly this is on their site-

Generally, all premedical coursework should be completed within ten years prior to your anticipated enrollment at Brown. Applicants need not have completed all premedical courses at the time of application, but required courses must be completed and documented prior to matriculation at Alpert Medical School. Email ([email protected]) us with questions relating to your preparedness for medical school.

And this -

Eligibility
Individuals who are enrolled or graduates of accredited institutions of higher education in the United States and Canada are eligible to apply. Graduates must have earned their bachelor’s degree within the previous 10 years.

I came across a few schools that seemed to have strict timing requirements like this. Notably, Duke and Jefferson. I'm sure they have good reason, like wanting to keep us old folks out. (I kid!) Those two didn't hurt my feelings, really, but this one does. I like Brown...even if it's an extreme long shot.

I sent an email. Will post their response when I get it.

Yeah well i still see the "Generally". Take into account how many applicants have a PhD (less than 6%?) and in the sciences or medical field...i smell an exception there. And isn't Brown known for their non-trad friendliness?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat (passed over). However this is my first cycle. It makes me think i took the wrong track with my PS and how i answered the questions on secondaries. But I haven't received any rejections yet either so I know there's still some hope. I have lower stats (3.5/30) but I know my EC's are phenomenal. I also noticed that many who received II's have top stats. How did your last cycle go? (# apps, # secondaries completed, # interviews, all MD or DO) What have you done to improve your app for this cycle? Did they give you any feedback last cycle? Personally i'm hoping that they sent out their first batch of II's only to stat heavy superstars.
Last cycle I applied in October and only to 5 schools, no interviews. I know my GPA is holding my back (2.8 last cycle, 3.0 this cycle) but I thought my MCAT (35), post bacc (4.0) and graduate GPA (3.9) would convince some schools I was worth an interview. Those old grades from 2006-2009 have really come back to haunt me.

Last cycle I applied in October and only to 5 schools, no interviews. I know my GPA is holding my back (2.8 last cycle, 3.0 this cycle) but I thought my MCAT (35), post bacc (4.0) and graduate GPA (3.9) would convince some schools I was worth an interview. Those old grades from 2006-2009 have really come back to haunt me.

Unfortunately that is how MD still works. Your GPA is quite low, even for your amazing MCAT. I would heavily consider D.O., and if this cycle doesn't work, you can grade replace the classes holding you back for D.O. also. You would be an easy accept with grade replacement!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have something haunting me as well. It's hard! Best of luck to you! Your post baccalaureate and MCAT show you mean business. Hopefully medical school adcoms will see it!

Reactions: 1 user

First...applying in October is too late. That is really rough...what was your science? The thing is almost every school i've looked at has stated they have a gpa cutoff of 3.0 and some indicate even higher. Besides explaining why it is low you'll need to wow them in more ways than your MCAT. I don't doubt some school will take a more holistic approach so hopefully you applied to those schools who's missions include that.

First...applying in October is too late. That is really rough...what was your science? The thing is almost every school i've looked at has stated they have a gpa cutoff of 3.0 and some indicate even higher. Besides explaining why it is low you'll need to wow them in more ways than your MCAT. I don't doubt some school will take a more holistic approach so hopefully you applied to those schools who's missions include that.
Yeah my science is almost the same as my cumulative unfortunately. I did apply to lots of low tier schools and ones that value reinvention. Thanks for all the encouraging words, only time will tell what will happen. Good luck to us all.

And now, as I'm about to submit my payment to Brown, this is in the final box:

2. All premedical course requirements must have been completed within 10 years of the year you are applying for admission. If your premedical coursework was completed prior to the year 2005 for the 2015 admission cycle, we will consider you ineligible to apply.

Not a good sign. Still no email response.
It's sad, too, because they have a serious focus on health policy and population health that I LOVE. Boo hoo...I know. +pity+

And now, as I'm about to submit my payment to Brown, this is in the final box:

2. All premedical course requirements must have been completed within 10 years of the year you are applying for admission. If your premedical coursework was completed prior to the year 2005 for the 2015 admission cycle, we will consider you ineligible to apply.

Not a good sign. Still no email response.
It's sad, too, because they have a serious focus on health policy and population health that I LOVE. Boo hoo...I know. +pity+

Can you not use your graduate courses? It doesn't say they have to be completed at an undergrad does it? In fact as long as the course content is similar or at a higher level i believe it still counts.

None of my graduate reqs were basic science courses. They were all epidemiology, biostats, program management, health policy and the like.

I've got my fingers crossed that they'll relent. I'm not flushing $100 down the potty until I hear back, though.

Rejected pre-interview at Indiana :( I guess my snail mail letter about in state ties never arrived.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Nontrads. I am a current college student with a non-science major. I have just enrolled in a CNA program and am hoping to get some meaningful experiences in healthcare from that. I have considered doing EMT before, and I still may if I find the time. I will apply in 2016 to matriculate in 2017 *fingers crossed*.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle.

Can't wait for my own cycle...

Last edited:
Letters from my undergrad school just went in today. I found out on the way back from a mini vacation from NH.

I'm going to add a few more schools to my list. Thinking:
Emory, UCSD, UCSF, UCDavis, and maybe case.

If any of these are super stupid, then let me know. I think I just have to give myself a shutoff date and hold myself to it. I could keep going like this forever.

I'm going to start being complete in the next week once schools acknowledge receipt of the letter. Feels late, but it is what it is. Hoping to start hearing from schools in early sept.

Lets go NONTRADS!

Letters from my undergrad school just went in today. I found out on the way back from a mini vacation from NH.

If any of these are super stupid, then let me know. I think I just have to give myself a shutoff date and hold myself to it. I could keep going like this forever.

I'm going to start being complete in the next week once schools acknowledge receipt of the letter. Feels late, but it is what it is. Hoping to start hearing from schools in early sept.

Lets go NONTRADS!
Are you a CA resident? If not, UC Davis is probably not a good idea - 21 out of 449 interviews were OOS, 3 out of 104 OOS matriculated.

Lets go NONTRADS!

Also, UCSF is very selective with their secondaries. Good bc you're only in for $36 if they're not more interested, but bad if you're super interested in them.

Response from Brown:

The ten-year requirement really applies to the premedical course requirements.
They cannot be older than ten years from the year you apply for admission.
:(

Response from Brown:

The ten-year requirement really applies to the premedical course requirements.
They cannot be older than ten years from the year you apply for admission.
:(

ridiculous, i could understand if the person did absolutely nothing related to science in over 10 years

Came up with a list of 5 places I wanted to add. I'm so exhausted and tired of writing secondaries at this point that I'm really not sure if it would be worth it to do it though...

Isn't it a bit late now? I have enough essays that I could recycle most things, but my letter just went out yesterday so I couldn't have been complete before now anyway.

Last edited:
Came up with a list of 5 places I wanted to add. I'm so exhausted and tired of writing secondaries at this point that I'm really not sure if it would be worth it to do it though...

How many do you have already? Who are you thinking of adding? Any progress like II's yet?

Sorry, just edited. Letters went out yesterday so I wouldn't have been complete before today anywhere.

I'm at like 38-39. Was thinking of adding Emory, UCSF, UCLA, Case Western (College track probably), and UCSD.

I'm on FAP so most of these secondaries are free and that lets me take a bit more license with the hail mary approach.

After finishing all of the ones I've done already, there are just so many things I'd rather do than secondaries. But I'm almost tempted to give myself one more week to knock out a few more...
I'm going to NYC till sunday night, I'll probably mull it over but I'd appreciate feedback if anyone has input!

Excited to be able to post in one of these threads finally :)

I haven't submitted yet, but as soon as I finish up my personal statement, I'll be clicking the button and paying my fee. Official transcripts are on the way. I haven't gotten my official MCAT score yet, but I took it with a fever of like 102-103 :(. Here's hoping I pulled a hail mary and did well enough...

Good luck to everyone!

Are you applying MD or DO. It's a bit late in the cycle to be submitting your primary for MD right now...

Sorry, just edited. Letters went out yesterday so I wouldn't have been complete before today anywhere.

I'm at like 38-39. Was thinking of adding Emory, UCSF, UCLA, Case Western (College track probably), and UCSD.

I'm on FAP so most of these secondaries are free and that lets me take a bit more license with the hail mary approach.

After finishing all of the ones I've done already, there are just so many things I'd rather do than secondaries. But I'm almost tempted to give myself one more week to knock out a few more...
I'm going to NYC till sunday night, I'll probably mull it over but I'd appreciate feedback if anyone has input!
38-39! Wowwww!! I think you are fine since your apps are free, maybe just apply, I'm sure you can recycle almost any question asked...except if you apply to USC

Finally got the secondary from Minnesota, working up on the AACOMAS app now.

Hah. Just got an email that I was complete at my first school.

38-39! Wowwww!! I think you are fine since your apps are free, maybe just apply, I'm sure you can recycle almost any question asked...except if you apply to USC

I already applied to USC haha

Last edited:
Well......this week is over. Feeling fairly passed over. Hoping next week will treat me (and all those not receiving II's) better.

Reactions: 3 users
Well......this week is over. Feeling fairly passed over. Hoping next week will treat me (and all those not receiving II's) better.
I think it's not worth beating yourself up about not getting one of the first IIs from these schools. I know I was feeling the same way too but there are so many more to come! You're not out until you're out! Happy weekend y'all!

First II this morning! I'm pretty excited (even though the school isn't my first choice). And to prove how completely random this process is, I was verified in mid June, complete at ~20 schools by the end of July, and decided to add five more schools last week. The invite is from a school I submitted a secondary to on Monday...so that's insane. Many of the schools I've been complete at for 4+ weeks...complete silence. Hopefully I start getting invites from other schools soon, preferably those that are a little closer geographically. I love the PNW, and would prefer to stay close to home but we are lacking in the number of schools out here.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey Nontrads. I thought I'd share my story on this thread. I am a current college students with a non-science major. I've done most of my prereqs and taken the MCAT before, but I am dedicating the next two years to retaking my expired score and getting my mind back into my science course work. I have just enrolled in a CNA program and am hoping to get some meaningful experiences in healthcare from that. I have considered doing EMT before, and I still may if I find the time. I will apply in 2016 to matriculate in 2017 *fingers crossed*.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle.

Can't wait for my own cycle...

Just wanted to say hi! I am on the same timeline as you, applying in 2016 for 2017.

Last night I dreamed that I received four IIs in one day.

Reactions: 9 users
First II this morning! I'm pretty excited (even though the school isn't my first choice). And to prove how completely random this process is, I was verified in mid June, complete at ~20 schools by the end of July, and decided to add five more schools last week. The invite is from a school I submitted a secondary to on Monday...so that's insane. Many of the schools I've been complete at for 4+ weeks...complete silence. Hopefully I start getting invites from other schools soon, preferably those that are a little closer geographically. I love the PNW, and would prefer to stay close to home but we are lacking in the number of schools out here.
Congrats on the invite! Its such a relief to have one. I am sure we will start seeing more folks with them soon tho!

Just wanted to say hi! I am on the same timeline as you, applying in 2016 for 2017.

Nice! Good luck to you and I hope you have good progress.

Wow, just calculated my DO gpas and it's like a c3.6/s3.8

Sure wish AMCAS did grade replacement too haha

Reactions: 2 users
Hey folks,

I'm a fellow non-trad and I just wanted to send positive vibes to all who are still waiting on IIs. They will come!

And don't you dare thinking that just because people complete after you get IIs means that you've been passed over. It means you're not competing for the same seat, is all. As various adcoms say, this isn't a sum zero game - qualified applicants will all gets seats, just not at the same time :)

Reactions: 5 users
Welp, just got rejected post secondary to Utah, (my state school)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry man, keep your head up! Did you ask for feedback?
Not yet, that's a good idea. BUT I'm EFI at UCF!!!woo hoo! First positive news of the cycle

Not yet, that's a good idea. BUT I'm EFI at UCF!!!woo hoo! First positive news of the cycle

What does EFI stand for? Sorry to hear about your state school!

So I'm starting to feel like I should submit AACOMAS. Am I jumping the gun? or should I do it just in case? I probably will wait until the end of the week for IIs and if none come then I'll submit apps to some DO schools

So I'm starting to feel like I should submit AACOMAS. Am I jumping the gun? or should I do it just in case? I probably will wait until the end of the week for IIs and if none come then I'll submit apps to some DO schools

I'm wondering the same thing! I really want to think they are inviting the stellar stats first then they'll move on to the stellar substance.

Oh my gosh the silence from all my schools is killing me. And I haven't started classes yet so I have nothing to distract me....

Reactions: 3 users
Oh my gosh the silence from all my schools is killing me. And I haven't started classes yet so I have nothing to distract me....
I feel you man. Nothing but silence from every school. Starting to lose hope for this cycle. What scares me is if I have to reapply next year that's my last chance before my MCAT expires, and what if I don't get in next cycle either?! I really don't want to take the new MCAT...

Panic mode engaged