2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why are thumbs always opposable? I wish they would learn to just get along.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Supposedly schools would not send IIs in the middle of the night but that has not prevented me from checking my email on the phone whenever I happen to be awake, even if it's just for a few minutes.

Imagine how it used to be when interview invites were sent over regular email. Once the postman delivers the mail, that is it for the day - no more checking. :scared:
Doesn't the postman always ring twice? :)

Haha! I still have to go to class (California here)

It was at WesternU the DO school in Southern CA. It was amazing.. I didn't sleep I was so nervous, didn't eat, same reason...

It was 2 MMI (~7 minute) stations and 1 multipanel 30 minute interview...

It was very relaxed and an amazing experience. THe school was awesome, the students were awesome and friendly, and the faculty were very personable. I really think I'll end up here if they accept me!
All the best. Community counts for a lot. Obviously, like me, you can provide plenty of stress all on your own and don't need external help as "motivation." Hope that this is one of those match made in heaven situations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, me too. My complete dates run from the 2st week of July through the 2st week of August, with almost 1 every day. Still no IIs...
If only intense worry burned more calories!

Reactions: 1 users
I propose a new rule.

Every time someone stresses a little bit to the point that they post about it here, they should instead post a funny gif or meme.

All in favor say aye!

I aye!

why worry.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
So I hope this isn't a stupid question but how do I know if a school is in the process of screening me for secondaries versus not having received my primary? I heard there were glitches at a few schools and that primaries were never received.

I submitted my primaries a few weeks ago but haven't heard back from some of them yet. Of course, I could call and ask but I was wondering if there was an alternate way to check without calling each school individually. If I have to call, what's the appropriate amount of time to wait before doing so?

Thank you!

So I hope this isn't a stupid question but how do I know if a school is in the process of screening me for secondaries versus not having received my primary? I heard there were glitches at a few schools and that primaries were never received.

I submitted my primaries a few weeks ago but haven't heard back from some of them yet. Of course, I could call and ask but I was wondering if there was an alternate way to check without calling each school individually. If I have to call, what's the appropriate amount of time to wait before doing so?

Thank you!

You could check the MSAR to see if the secondary is automatic or screened.
Automatics, I would call.
Screened, you might wait. Might call. Depends on your anxiety level.

You could check the MSAR to see if the secondary is automatic or screened.
Automatics, I would call.
Screened, you might wait. Might call. Depends on your anxiety level.

Thank you! I didn't know that. Much appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! I'm applying as well but haven't submitted my secondary yet. Do you mind sharing stats?

Thanks all! Love the support here.
@EndoAdduct I agree with @ridethecliche that, especially for nontrads, stats aren't a very useful predictor. But in case you think it is helpful for you, GPA >3.9, MCAT 35+, Complete 8/17.

@EndoAdduct I agree with @ridethecliche that, especially for nontrads, stats aren't a very useful predictor. But in case you think it is helpful for you, GPA >3.9, MCAT 35+, Complete 8/17.
Those stats def. don't hurt an app though =) I foresee an amazing cycle for you, congrats on II at such an amazing school! Much more to come I am sure

Reactions: 3 users
Ok...

just-physical-chemistry_o_440992.jpg

kinda wish this was an option for me...
9b0703b68939ed73190e6caad2eab13da732e54a871f419bacc0eab42beca6ef.jpg
Hahaha if I get accepted this is so happening. Only I'm not waiting until the day after, that **** is getting dropped within the hour, then the alcohol will start.

I didn't mean that stats are not important, merely that stellar stats won't be helpful if it's too late in the cycle. Well they help but chances definitely slide. And yes, those stats definitely don't hurt matters. I got my stuff in to Sinai around the same time you did @threesparrows . MCAT 34, GPA 3.5. So perhaps I'll hear something in the next little bit!

On that note, I really have to get UCSF and UCSD in this weekend. And drexel if they ever send me a damn secondary...

I didn't mean that stats are not important, merely that stellar stats won't be helpful if it's too late in the cycle. Well they help but chances definitely slide. And yes, those stats definitely don't hurt matters. I got my stuff in to Sinai around the same time you did @threesparrows . MCAT 34, GPA 3.5. So perhaps I'll hear something in the next little bit!

On that note, I really have to get UCSF and UCSD in this weekend. And drexel if they ever send me a damn secondary...

I'm still waiting for a secondary from Drexel too, and I saw that some II went out today...even though I haven't even received a secondary yet...fun. Just reminding myself that this is a long, seemingly random at times, process.

Last edited:
Double rejection Friday over here. Georgetown and UC Irvine. One state school down, five to go! Still having a good day though. :)

Another day of reminding myself that no news is good news.

I got my Drexel secondary in on the 22nd and got the complete e-mail on the 26th. No status change here, just "...will be reviewed..."
Same at Georgetown and UCI, but those were both complete back in mid July. (seems ages ago LOL)

Another day of reminding myself that no news is good news.

I'm with you. Sucks, but we're not out of the running yet.

I'm not typically a big one for motivational quotes, but I have one poem I keep on the wall, Desiderata, because it's always good for me when I get too stressed. The bits of it that I keep looking at lately are:
"Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself."
"Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness."
The whole thing is one of my favorites, since different parts speak to me more at different times, but there's always something good.

We're in it to win it (and it's still only August) - we'll get there :) all of us.

Reactions: 6 users
Double rejection Friday over here. Georgetown and UC Irvine. One state school down, five to go! Still having a good day though. :)
That's the spirit! I don't hear no fat lady singin'!

I'm not typically a big one for motivational quotes, but I have one poem I keep on the wall, Desiderata, because it's always good for me when I get too stressed. The bits of it that I keep looking at lately are:
"Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself."
"Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness."
The whole thing is one of my favorites, since different parts speak to me more at different times, but there's always something good.

We're in it to win it (and it's still only August) - we'll get there :) all of us.
Thanks for the sharing and the encouragement. I agree. Sometimes the right words do resonate.

This.

Impressive! I'm sure you will do well. :)

I took a late July MCAT and just received my score back a few days ago so I'm in the process of writing my secondaries. Fingers crossed!

Thank you!

Yeah it seems like most secondaries are automatic. I was verified late July, and started getting secondaries a day or two later. Check MSAR if you have access to it. My initial round of apps went to 20 schools and I'm still completing secondaries, but only 2 or 3 of the 20 had a screen in place, and ironically they were some of my state schools, which I did get past.

Yeah it seems like most secondaries are automatic. I was verified late July, and started getting secondaries a day or two later. Check MSAR if you have access to it. My initial round of apps went to 20 schools and I'm still completing secondaries, but only 2 or 3 of the 20 had a screen in place, and ironically they were some of my state schools, which I did get past.

Thanks! I did check and it turns out that most of the schools I applied to do not screen. However, I've only received half of the secondaries expected so I'll probably give them a call after Labor Day.

Thanks! I did check and it turns out that most of the schools I applied to do not screen. However, I've only received half of the secondaries expected so I'll probably give them a call after Labor Day.
If it's been more than 2 weeks and they don't screen, then a call or email is perfectly reasonable.
I just checked my list and out of the 28 I applied to, I got all the secondaries with in 12 days of submitting the primary (barring Drexel, who seems to be having issues this year)

I was going to say something but realized I was confusing desiderata with lysistrata. Oops.

If it's been more than 2 weeks and they don't screen, then a call or email is perfectly reasonable.
I just checked my list and out of the 28 I applied to, I got all the secondaries with in 12 days of submitting the primary (barring Drexel, who seems to be having issues this year)

I got many secondaries when I submitted my primary and many others when it got verified. I didn't start submitting them until verification and closer to when my letters were sent in because I figured it made little sense to get everything in early if I wouldn't be complete for a month+. It's not like they start reviewing incomplete materials.

I was going to say something but realized I was confusing desiderata with lysistrata. Oops.
LOL, now I'm curious what you would have said. Sounds like an entertaining misunderstanding. And I'm sure we could dredge up an appropriate Aristophanes quote.

I got many secondaries when I submitted my primary and many others when it got verified. I didn't start submitting them until verification and closer to when my letters were sent in because I figured it made little sense to get everything in early if I wouldn't be complete for a month+. It's not like they start reviewing incomplete materials.
I didn't add schools until after verification, so 12 days is counting from when they recieved my verified, complete primary.

Thanks for letting me know the average days that secondaries are sent. Drexel is definitely getting a call from me then...2+ weeks. :)

Thanks for letting me know the average days that secondaries are sent. Drexel is definitely getting a call from me then...2+ weeks. :)
For Drexel it's been over a month for me (and most folks). They're seemingly having server troubles and the secondaries are getting doled out in small batches. You can call if you like, but they'll just say "soon". Patience is required on this one.
Any others that have been more than 2 weeks though, I'd definitely call up.

I'm legit annoyed about Drexel. I'd really want to go there as well...

Reactions: 3 users
Ahahha. I had my first interview dream last night and it featured my 'crazy ex'. I woke up too scared to go back to sleep, but managed to overcome adversity and fall asleep anyway.

Killin' it!

First interview! Not sure how to schedule the flights. I live in California and the interview's in a small town in the midwest. The interview is from 8:30-3pm -- the latest I can fly back is 5:15. Should I suck it up and spend another night there?
(I don't care about the cost of a hotel, but I have limited time off from my full-time job.)

Why don't you ask the admissions office if they think you can make the 5:15 pm flight? I'm sure they will want to help, and realize you're from OOS and working from your application.

Why don't you ask the admissions office if they think you can make the 5:15 pm flight? I'm sure they will want to help, and realize you're from OOS and working from your application.
Good point! I got overexcited and booked it anyway. I'll call the school to confirm it and rebook if I need to.

Good point! I got overexcited and booked it anyway. I'll call the school to confirm it and rebook if I need to.

I understand the feeling, having just gotten my first II two days ago. Congratulations! When's your interview?

Reading some of the threads in pre-allo makes my brain hurt.

Specifically the one talking about flawed nature of admissions.

Oy vey.

I saw that one: [simulation] The admission process is flawed because I'm way better than all y'all and I don't have 20 II's yet [/simulation]

was at least comical.

There is one chronic poster that made me seriously consider following them to make sure I don't end up in school with them.

I hope, like much of SDN, those types are outliers. I can't get through med school alone.

There is one chronic poster that made me seriously consider following them to make sure I don't end up in school with them.

I hope, like much of SDN, those types are outliers. I can't get through med school alone.
meh, I'm sure the truly obnoxious ones are mostly avoidable in med school, just like they are on SDN and IRL. Just find the other non-trads and sensible people once you get there.
I had one adcom (from UF) tell me that the non-trads there call themselves 'the circle of elders' and all work together to study and dispense advice to the clueless. Sounded pretty reassuring to me.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm pretty clueless though, but I'm realistic as fakkkkk.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day weekend. Let's have September be a month filled with IIs and good news all around!

Reactions: 10 users
LOL, now I'm curious what you would have said. Sounds like an entertaining misunderstanding. And I'm sure we could dredge up an appropriate Aristophanes quote.

I didn't add schools until after verification, so 12 days is counting from when they recieved my verified, complete primary.

I can totally see the Desiradata/Lysistrata connection. First, we are all in a situation in which something we want is being denied or withheld. Second, the withholding actually increases the desire to get what we want! And, although the attribution to Aristophanes in *The Emperor's Club* is totally without foundation (no reference in the plays or fragments!!), this observation is just too good to ignore: "Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated and drunkenness sobered, but stupidity. . .lasts forever." :)

Hehehe circle of elders.

Also I echo csj10's sentiment. Let September be a great month! Things should really get going for us.

Hope everyone had a chill day off! I had lots of out of town guests which was energizing. Also college football is back. So much better that I can have my teams to worry about now too!