2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an II to Drexel. I'm pretty stoked - never been to Philly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted today from my first interview. So happy knowing I will be in medical school next year! Keep your head up Non-Trads we got this!

Reactions: 15 users
Got accepted today from my first interview. So happy knowing I will be in medical school next year! Keep your head up Non-Trads we got this!
Congratulations! Early decision?

CONGRATULATIONS! How exciting and so early!

Reactions: 1 user
I just sent an 'in the area' and 'update' email to school near where I'm going to be going to give a talk. The department agreed to pay for it and it would be awesome if it worked out. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm going to book my ticket by mid week next week to give them hopefully a few days to see if anything can be done.

Congrats! The first of many for you and for this thread!

Reactions: 1 users
First two IIs in one week. I could never imagine I would get a II from one of my seemingly beyond reach Ivys.
I am excited and hopeful that we all who have had to redraft our paths on this journey - whatever the detours were - will see the bright light at the end of the tunnel. Let's keep holding fast, brothers and sisters!
Here's to celebrating and hoping for the best for us all!

Reactions: 9 users
Well, I'm a nontraditional student of course...got my MCAT scores back today: sub 30.....ugh. Not even close to my target.
Well if it makes you feel better, your not the only one, and some of us have even gotten II from both MD and DO programs. So chin up.

Congrats! You done good!

Yes! That's what I'm trying to internalize (along with patience) when it comes to this process. I realize that I'm an outlier in many ways to the average applicant, both good and bad, and just need to embrace that. If I get the interview, they must think I'm able to able to handle the rigor of the curriculum, despite a low cgpa. Just need to be confident!
Don't fret, I am below 10% cGPA at every single school I applied to and I've had an interview. They definitely think you can handle the curriculum because of your life experiences and other factors on your application, knock em dead!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

I'd actually want to go there and I'm from the area. Still no secondary though...
I waited a looong time for their secondary too. The good news is that once they send it, the rest of the process was pretty fast. I got the secondary on 9/2, sent it back that same day, got the complete email later that day, and then the II on 9/9.

Anyone else notice that the quality of posts in the school specific threads has really deteriorated? Across the board it's nothing but, "I've been complete since X/X but haven't heard anything. What should I do??/Freaking out!/Should I call and ask?"

A variation of it is, "I submitted X/X but haven't been marked complete. What should I do??/Freaking out!/Should I call and ask?"

Reactions: 5 users
I waited a looong time for their secondary too. The good news is that once they send it, the rest of the process was pretty fast. I got the secondary on 9/2, sent it back that same day, got the complete email later that day, and then the II on 9/9.

LizzyM score?

So I was checking status at a few schools and logged into one and saw a calendar. I had no emails from this school and was very confused. I called them.

Turns out I beat the system and logged in before they had a chance to send an email.

If my math is correct:

I+I= II

First II!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hofstra. LizzyM ~69.

Edit: AHHAHA This is hilarious. They're booking in Feb already. That's nuts! How are they this far out already. I hope I get other interviews between now and then. Jeebus!
Edit #2: I'm pretty happy, but it's so far away that it doesn't even feel real!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Anyone else notice that the quality of posts in the school specific threads has really deteriorated? Across the board it's nothing but, "I've been complete since X/X but haven't heard anything. What should I do??/Freaking out!/Should I call and ask?"

A variation of it is, "I submitted X/X but haven't been marked complete. What should I do??/Freaking out!/Should I call and ask?"
Yup, hardly even check those threads anymore

Totally agree with @IL Pre Med. Not worth it. I check every now and then to see submission dates for those getting interviews so I don't miss correspondence and so I can remember to check statuses so this hofstra thing doesn't happen again. Seriously curious when they were actually supposed to send it out.

You're best to stay off. It makes my skin crawl. They're all undergrads though, what can you expect?

Also, still no Drexel. Lol. Running joke at this point.

Totally agree with @IL Pre Med. Not worth it. I check every now and then to see submission dates for those getting interviews so I don't miss correspondence and so I can remember to check statuses so this hofstra thing doesn't happen again. Seriously curious when they were actually supposed to send it out.

You're best to stay off. It makes my skin crawl. They're all undergrads though, what can you expect?

Also, still no Drexel. Lol. Running joke at this point.
Try emailing Drexel if it's been >4weeks since they had your verified app. (Kelli Kennedy is the ad. dir.) I'm going through the dual degree side, so it's a bit different, but I was filling out the PhD side of the app 1.5 weeks ago, and told them I still didn't have the MD secondary. They asked when I was verified (?!?) and said it could be up to 6 weeks after verification. When I told them it had been ~8, they hopped on it and I had the MD secondary w/in 48hrs.
Did it last night. Didn't have any of the loading issues that the kids in the Drexel thread were complaining about.

I've already emailed them. I'm going to call them Monday.
Ahh... probably a good idea. They've been having so many issues this year, I think people are just falling through the cracks.
Patience is a virtue, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so time to squeak a bit.

Any nontrads apply to Georgetown and get rejected...was that not the oddest rejection ever? Got the axe today, figured it was coming but seriously... I couldn't help but laugh.

Reactions: 2 users
Any nontrads apply to Georgetown and get rejected...was that not the oddest rejection ever? Got the axe today, figured it was coming but seriously... I couldn't help but laugh.
What did they say that was funny? Share for those of us who didn't apply there :) We can all use a good laugh around here.

We finally made a decision...log on to the portal to find out...sorry we can't offer you a spot in the class.

Maybe it's just me but i think it's kind of funny.

We finally made a decision...log on to the portal to find out...sorry we can't offer you a spot in the class.

Well atleast the wait is over. That's annoying though. It's a personal email address, rip off the band aid.

When were you complete?

68. (29 mcat, 3.89 gpa)

Thanks! I'm right around there too!

Well atleast the wait is over. That's annoying though. It's a personal email address, rip off the band aid.

When were you complete?

Nothing personal about it...the email or the rejection on the portal, made me work to find out i was rejected. I was complete 7/28. Ehh, can't win em all, no band-aid necessary.

What kind of folks do you suppose Gtown looks for? I suspect IIs have a lot to do with family income (this isn't some paranoid speculation, I assure you. I know the school and faculty/admins quite well). You got a lot of impressive offers already, yet Gtown don't deign to extend you one too...

Scratch here to see if you're a winner!!!
Well that's obnoxious. Form email for the win, eh.

What kind of folks do you suppose Gtown looks for? I suspect IIs have a lot to do with family income (this isn't some paranoid speculation, I assure you. I know the school and faculty/admins quite well). You got a lot of impressive offers already, yet Gtown don't deign to extend you one too...
Well...if i had to hazard a guess i'd say not researchers. I'm wondering if my stem cell/animal research was a bit too much for them given they are a catholic institute.

Oh...i didn't expect one. Not saying i should have received one. [Though i don't think it would be below them to extend me an invitation] Let me be clear in that i am honored to receive any invitations and certainly do not feel entitled to any. And, yes...I am not hurt or worried bc i already have great offers.

Are you suggesting that they don't accept poor people?

Last edited:
Got a secondary today from one of mine some three days after the initial acknowledgement, and they're a school that filters out at the front end of the process. I'm reapplying there (applied last year) so it may just be that they retained a copy of last year's stuff but it's always nice to get a quick turnaround like that. Memory wants to tell me that receiving last year's secondary took a while longer than this go 'round. *crosses fingers for luck, goes to see if she can't write another article*

(ETA: I was still curious so I went to check. In fact last year's secondary did take quite a bit longer - around two and a half months, I think, but of two school acquaintances of mine who completed the same week I did and got interviews with them, one got the secondary the same day that I did and another got his in the month after we did.)

Last edited:
Well...if i had to hazard a guess i'd say not researchers. I'm wondering if my stem cell/animal research was a bit too much for them given they are a catholic institute.

Oh...i didn't expect one. Not saying i should have received one. [Though i don't think it would be below them to extend me an invitation] Let me be clear in that i am honored to receive any invitations and certainly do not feel entitled to any. And, yes...I am not hurt or worried bc i already have great offers.

Are you suggesting that they don't accept poor people?

By no means as a rule. Nevertheless, undergraduate institutions (perhaps some med schools too?) have whole committees dedicated to selecting prospective students with the highest probability of becoming future donors. Knowing Georgetown's culture... I wouldn't put it past them, is all.

Sounds like UCSF. Except they don't show you the result on the web site but make you download a PDF, which could not be opened in one of the browsers (don't remember which one). It was certainly the most convoluted way of delivering a decision. Can't wait to get this one again.

If that's the case then I'm screwed because I'm poor! (Now made even more poor by my applications.)

So I was checking status at a few schools and logged into one and saw a calendar. I had no emails from this school and was very confused. I called them.

Turns out I beat the system and logged in before they had a chance to send an email.

If my math is correct:

I+I= II

First II!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hofstra. LizzyM ~69.

Edit: AHHAHA This is hilarious. They're booking in Feb already. That's nuts! How are they this far out already. I hope I get other interviews between now and then. Jeebus!
Edit #2: I'm pretty happy, but it's so far away that it doesn't even feel real!

Congrats! Would you mind sharing complete date?

If that's the case then I'm screwed because I'm poor! (Now made even more poor by my applications.)
Not as a rule, I think, but look at my post above.

Knowing Gtown's culture I wouldn't put it past them.

Knowing Gtown's culture I wouldn't put it past them.

Even before you mentioned this, I was already hesitant about applying because of their credit check requirement. I understand the need for a credit check in terms of being able to pay for the school but IMO that should be a whole other process separate from whether the applicant should be admitted or not.

Yup. "We've made a final decision. Check your status to see it." I almost didn't even waste the time looking haha. Then I couldn't remember my password and had to go through the process of getting a new password so I could sign on and see the rejection! Heheh.

Welp, it's been a few weeks, I took a break from SDN to not go crazy.
It seems like we have a lot more members active in this thread!

No more news still, except a telephone interview at Western Michigan! I don't have that for another month, but hey! Good news is good news!

Knowing Gtown's culture I wouldn't put it
Even before you mentioned this, I was already hesitant about applying because of their credit check requirement. I understand the need for a credit check in terms of being able to pay for the school but IMO that should be a whole other process separate from whether the applicant should be admitted or not.

If you look at all the extremely qualified applicants that got rejected from Gtown in the last week, you'd be left scratching your head.

Until, I guess, you look at their/their family's income. Again, I don't think this is a rule per se, but the circumstantial evidence is mounting.

Yup. "We've made a final decision. Check your status to see it." I almost didn't even waste the time looking haha. Then I couldn't remember my password and had to go through the process of getting a new password so I could sign on and see the rejection! Heheh.

Good grief! I actually had to do that initially to get on the portal. I waited too long before opening up the secondary and the temporary password had expired.

Sounds like UCSF. Except they don't show you the result on the web site but make you download a PDF, which could not be opened in one of the browsers (don't remember which one). It was certainly the most convoluted way of delivering a decision. Can't wait to get this one again.

WHAT!!! Gosh...what's so wrong with a nice email? They are already emailing you to tell you to check...what a bunch of unnecessary extra work.

Knowing Gtown's culture I wouldn't put it

If you look at all the extremely qualified applicants that got rejected from Gtown in the last week, you'd be left scratching your head.

Until, I guess, you look at their/their family's income. Again, I don't think this is a rule per se, but the circumstantial evidence is mounting.

Shoot. I don't even know if I should apply. I have the application 99% done at this point. I wonder if it's worth the money or if I should just hold off and use the money for schools I have more of a shot at. Realistically, I'm no superstar with my stats and my bank account will make both babies and Georgetown cry.

Shoot. I don't even know if I should apply. I have the application 99% done at this point. I wonder if it's worth the money or if I should just hold off and use the money for schools I have more of a shot at. Realistically, I'm no superstar with my stats and my bank account will make both babies and Georgetown cry.
I'd say apply. Although I'm hating on Gtown here, I think that you only miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Nevertheless, if you think there are better schools out there for you, I'd prioritize those first.

WHAT!!! Gosh...what's so wrong with a nice email? They are already emailing you to tell you to check...what a bunch of unnecessary extra work.
I just checked my old email. To make it even more fun, the subject is just "status update", so you don't know the content and have to open the PDF. For what it's worth, it is a nice letter on a university letterhead bit still...