2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Scratch here to see if you're a winner!!!
Well that's obnoxious. Form email for the win, eh.
I got one form email rejection, and then in a surprise move Lecom Bradington sent their rejection thru good ol fashioned snail mail. What made it really surprising is that I had been checking the website, and hadn't checked my mail for a week plus. Apparently I was rejected 8/8 but the website never updated.

Its all good tho. I got 3 interviews from 12 completed apps (2/3 on DO with one reject, and 1/9 MD with no rejects yet). So I can't complain.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Shoot. I don't even know if I should apply. I have the application 99% done at this point. I wonder if it's worth the money or if I should just hold off and use the money for schools I have more of a shot at. Realistically, I'm no superstar with my stats and my bank account will make both babies and Georgetown cry.

Well...to be honest, almost all the II's i've had so far are from schools i didn't think i'd have a chance at. All the schools that i (my stats) "fit" into have either rejected me or i've had dead silence at. No joke...i've got 9 II's...only one i thought i had a realistic chance at.

Edit: wish i had applied to more "reach" schools early on...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Well...to be honest, almost all the II's i've had so far are from schools i didn't think i'd have a chance at. All the schools that i (my stats) "fit" into have either rejected me or i've had dead silence at. No joke...i've got 9 II's...only one i thought i had a realistic chance at.

As a non-trad, I suspect your life story outweighs your stats (besides, it sounds to me that you're selling yourself a little short).

You must have some seriously unique ECs.

I knew ahead of time that I was getting IIs from certain schools. I fit their student profile to a T (GWU was one of them, for example - when I wrote their "why GW" essay I knew I had an II coming. I just did).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a non-trad, I suspect your life story outweighs your stats (besides, it sounds to me that you're selling yourself a little short).

You must have some seriously unique ECs.

I knew ahead of time that I was getting IIs from certain schools. I fit their student profile to a T (GWU was one of them, for example - when I wrote their "why GW" essay I knew I had an II coming. I just did).

New lurker on this thread! Checked it out thanks to @ridethecliche... but I've been active in the Class of 2019(infinite exclamation marks) thread. However, I think I should fit in well over here because I am a nontrad among nontrads LOL ;)

The discussions on this page are so funny! I recently read that GTown was one of the most selective schools, receiving >12,000 applications/cycle and only drawing ~1% in at the end, and I too suspected money as a probable cause! The stereotype lives on :D

And congrats to all of you with your awesome II's! Super exciting!!! @Overanxious you rock, as @kthxbai says, don't sell yourself short!

@kthxbai I wouldn't say i'm selling myself short. I'm just realistic, with good cause too...statistics of class profiles for each school. My EC's are stellar and as an old kid i'm able to put in 3-4 or more activities per entry (i crammed the hell out of the work and activities section) and i knew that was what would make me stand out. But i still didn't expect to be thrown a bone from my dream schools and so it's surprising.

@researchismymiddlename lol why are you a nontrad among nontrads?

@kthxbai I wouldn't say i'm selling myself short. I'm just realistic, with good cause too...statistics of class profiles for each school. My EC's are stellar and as an old kid i'm able to put in 3-4 or more activities per entry (i crammed the hell out of the work and activities section) and i knew that was what would make me stand out. But i still didn't expect to be thrown a bone from my dream schools and so surprising.

That's why is not strictly about numbers. Your story matters and if you're in the range you absolutely have a shot with good experiences. If you're urm, then that helps even more (I'm not sure if you are or not). Regardless, don't sell yourself short. If you want to throw a hail Mary app in, it's not tooooo late now, though earlier would have been more helpful.

@kthxbai I wouldn't say i'm selling myself short. I'm just realistic, with good cause too...statistics of class profiles for each school. My EC's are stellar and as an old kid i'm able to put in 3-4 or more activities per entry (i crammed the hell out of the work and activities section) and i knew that was what would make me stand out. But i still didn't expect to be thrown a bone from my dream schools and so it's surprising.

@researchismymiddlename lol why are you a nontrad among nontrads?

I'm doing my PhD now but always wanted to go to med school. There are two reasons I am doing my PhD 1) I love research and wanted to explore that a bit more, and 2) I was really young the first time I applied to MD/PhD and MD programs... So even among PhD-to-MD's I'm different because I am still on the younger side of the spectrum. Of course IMO it only hurts my application but I hope my essays, letters and ECs help convey my maturity in making this decision to go into medicine.

I'm doing my PhD now but always wanted to go to med school. There are two reasons I am doing my PhD 1) I love research and wanted to explore that a bit more, and 2) I was really young the first time I applied to MD/PhD and MD programs... So even among PhD-to-MD's I'm different because I am still on the younger side of the spectrum. Of course IMO it only hurts my application but I hope my essays, letters and ECs help convey my maturity in making this decision to go into medicine.

I wish i were on the younger side of PhD to MD! Lucky for me i look younger...oh good genetics. Ahh the PhD...what field?

Just an FYI: there are people in their 30s and even 40s on this thread. Many have families as well. I used to think I was a a non trad, but at 25 and having worked in research for years I'm pretty far from it as this stuff usually goes.

That's why is not strictly about numbers. Your story matters and if you're in the range you absolutely have a shot with good experiences. If you're urm, then that helps even more (I'm not sure if you are or not). Regardless, don't sell yourself short. If you want to throw a hail Mary app in, it's not tooooo late now, though earlier would have been more helpful.

It's definitely not strictly about numbers which is why i threw my app in the pool at some top tier schools. I threw one at the white unicorn 10 days ago. I'm very curious to see how it turns out as their HST program deals directly with my dissertation topic.

I just checked Georgetown and I haven't heard anything. I was complete in mid August though so let's see. I figure 4-8 weeks of no communication is normal

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish i were on the younger side of PhD to MD! Lucky for me i look younger...oh good genetics. Ahh the PhD...what field?

Haha and for me it's the opposite, people say I look older ;)

I'm doing my PhD in Biomedical Engineering, with a focus on tissue engineering.

Just an FYI: there are people in their 30s and even 40s on this thread. Many have families as well. I used to think I was a a non trad, but at 25 and having worked in research for years I'm pretty far from it as this stuff usually goes.

I've heard some really incredible stories of career switches, so yes, there's a spectrum of nontraditional.

Impressive and Congrats!! I know you'll do well. I'm glad to see schools are looking at the whole rather than just stats though I'm sure you're solid on both fronts! :)

I'm in my 30s and have 10 years active duty military. Just took this long to get everything done I needed to apply.

Another one bites the dust...UWashington. Totally "rolling" in rejections now :rofl:. Thanking god the good came before the bad though. Also, another unfriendly rejection.

The Admissions Committee for the University of Washington School of Medicine has completed its preliminary review of your application. As an out-of-region candidate, you did not meet the criteria for further consideration to the regular MD only program. We thank you for your interest in our School of Medicine.

I'd really like to refer them to Boston's rejection letter (someone was kind enough to post). Let them take some notes on appropriate wording and recognition of an applicants accomplishments.

Last edited:
Another one bites the dust...UWashington. Totally "rolling" in rejections now :rofl:. Thanking god the good came before the bad though. Also, another unfriendly rejection.

The Admissions Committee for the University of Washington School of Medicine has completed its preliminary review of your application. As an out-of-region candidate, you did not meet the criteria for further consideration to the regular MD only program. We thank you for your interest in our School of Medicine.

I'd really like to refer them to Boston's rejection letter (someone was kind enough to post). Let them take some notes on appropriate wording and recognition of an applicants accomplishments.

Their loss! But it must be nice to hear decisions early rather than having to wait for them or speculate about silent rejections. And yes, some letters can be quite appalling in their wording. I hear one of the rejection letters addresses how hard it must be to "cope" with the decision. That is just awful...

Just looked up BU's rejection letter. Wow, call me cheesy or perhaps a pansy but that's such a sweet letter.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/strange-boston-university-rejection.101370/

I know this is from a decade ago but the humor in some of these folks is awesome. "I paid 100 bucks for that rejection letter--it had better be poetry!" LOL!!!

I was rejected by them last year, but the wording was different and I considered it to be one of the more thoughtful rejections I received. Guessing they have different rejections for OOR applicants vs. in region. Just focus on the positive, and all the interviews you already have! It seems like they are starting to pick up steam, I got a rejection today that thoroughly bummed me out, but it was also sandwiched between a terrible day at work and lame personal issues. Can't be too mad though, so far I have one rejection for each interview, which is much better than I thought I would do going into this cycle.

Their loss! But it must be nice to hear decisions early rather than having to wait for them or speculate about silent rejections. And yes, some letters can be quite appalling in their wording. I hear one of the rejection letters addresses how hard it must be to "cope" with the decision. That is just awful...

Oh yeah, it's definitely nice to know. Limbo is the worst. ?As in it must be so hard for you to cope with us rejecting you? Jeez...
Btw, Boston's is still the same "poetry". It is really nice.

I was rejected by them last year, but the wording was different and I considered it to be one of the more thoughtful rejections I received. Guessing they have different rejections for OOR applicants vs. in region. Just focus on the positive, and all the interviews you already have! It seems like they are starting to pick up steam, I got a rejection today that thoroughly bummed me out, but it was also sandwiched between a terrible day at work and lame personal issues. Can't be too mad though, so far I have one rejection for each interview, which is much better than I thought I would do going into this cycle.

Definitely happy about those. Not pissed about getting rejected just the wording of the rejection...like all they cared about was a number.

That is rough! I'm sorry to hear that! 1 for 1 is awesome! Hoping you keep that trend...that would be a lot of II's if you applied broadly :heckyeah:

Definitely happy about those. Not pissed about getting rejected just the wording of the rejection...like all they cared about was a number.

That is rough! I'm sorry to hear that! 1 for 1 is awesome! Hoping you keep that trend...that would be a lot of II's if you applied broadly :heckyeah:

Lol, I sincerely doubt that the trend will continue! And if it did, I certainly couldn't afford to take that much time off work/buy that many plane tickets anyway. My bank account is already fatigued from applications and the one plane ticket I have purchased. It does feel good to get news though, even if that means rejections, and considering how many schools haven't said anything to me, I'm sure I have many more to come!

Hmm, I guess this rejection letter is pretty well-worded after all. I have another one that is pretty comical, I'll have to find and share.

Our Admissions Committee has completed its evaluation of your application, and unfortunately we are unable to take further action on your application.

We hope you will understand that this decision is not a judgment about your qualifications for medical school, but is instead a reflection of the extremely competitive applicant pool this year. Many of the 5,500 applicants to our program were found to be exceptionally well qualified for medical school and to demonstrate promise as outstanding future physicians. With 110 applicants for each seat in the class, the Admissions Committee had to make many difficult choices and turn away a large number of superb candidates.

Please take heart in knowing that many medical school applicants who are unsuccessful on their first application to one school are successful at other schools, or in the future after strengthening their application. With this in mind, we urge you to continue to pursue your career goals with persistence and vigor.

We greatly appreciate your interest in the UCR School of Medicine and wish you success in your personal and professional endeavors.

O
Overanxious, sorry about the "no thank you" letter. It seems unnecessarily frosty--there are long chapters in business communication textbooks about how to convey bad news and yet retain goodwill. I guess reading those is not a part of medical education, but does it really take more effort to begin a form letter with the traditional "Many qualified candidates. . ."?

On a personal note, hang in there. Obviously, not every school is a Wicked Stepmother. I'm pretty sure that the Fairy Godmother has magic in store for you!

O
Overanxious, sorry about the "no thank you" letter. It seems unnecessarily frosty--there are long chapters in business communication textbooks about how to convey bad news and yet retain goodwill. I guess reading those is not a part of medical education, but does it really take more effort to begin a form letter with the traditional "Many qualified candidates. . ."?

On a personal note, hang in there. Obviously, not every school is a Wicked Stepmother. I'm pretty sure that the Fairy Godmother has magic in store for you!

Oh i'm pretty sure i've exhausted all the magic she has to offer me. I just need to turn one of my II's into an acceptance! Just wanted to share the bad letter and show how my rejections have been so random. I hope it gives people some hope. Like yeah...i was rejected by Uwashington (pre-secondary i might add), Wisconsin, and Georgetown...but i also received II's from Mayo, Yale, and Pritzker among other fine schools. So...just because they've received their rejections first doesn't mean they don't have wonderful II's coming. I shudder to think the emotional state i'd be in if those three schools worked faster than the others. And i really think that's what's going on with some of these really superior candidates on this thread. Their "bad" schools are working faster than the "good" ones.
Btw...congrats on that II from Iowa! Maybe i'll see you around there ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Oh i'm pretty sure i've exhausted all the magic she has to offer me. I just need to turn one of my II's into an acceptance! Just wanted to share the bad letter and show how my rejections have been so random. I hope it gives people some hope. Like yeah...i was rejected by Uwashington (pre-secondary i might add), Wisconsin, and Georgetown...but i also received II's from Mayo, Yale, and Pritzker among other fine schools. So...just because they've received their rejections first doesn't mean they don't have wonderful II's coming. I shudder to think the emotional state i'd be in if those three schools worked faster than the others. And i really think that's what's going on with some of these really superior candidates on this thread. Their "bad" schools are working faster than the "good" ones.
Btw...congrats on that II from Iowa! Maybe i'll see you around there ;)

Pritzker was my first rejection!

Anyway, you have 9 II's which means that even if it takes you 2-3 to get into the zone, you have a great shot. These schools all think you belong there and just want to see how you play with others and how you present yourself. Start doing some interview prep if you haven't already including a mock interview or two if you can swing it.

This cycle is yours for the taking.

UP AND ATOM!!!

I guess I'm in the minority about this. I could not care less how a rejection letter is phrased, ultimately the outcome is the same. Hiding the outcome in two pages of "it's not you, it's me" bull**** does not change a thing.

I guess I'm in the minority about this. I could not care less how a rejection letter is phrased, ultimately the outcome is the same. Hiding the outcome in two pages of "it's not you, it's me" bull**** does not change a thing.
I actually agree. I'd rather just get an email or a text cause it would be faster too. Haha

It's like the worst kind of break up.

That sounds like a really terrible song from my high school days.

Also everytime I see @Glycereine , i think of this.

Last edited:
That's where my user name came from.

I typo'd the song title when that song first came out and have used it for everything since. With it spelled wrong it's always available!

Meh, I don't care too much about the wording TBQH, but in the spirit of SDN neuroticism it's still entertaining to analyze the quality of these communications.

And now, my most comical rejection so far (just the most entertaining part).

We are mindful of the potential adverse effects these decisions may have on the lives of those to whom they are rendered. In conveying this decision to you, we hope that your disappointment will be short-lived and will serve as additional impetus to success in your future endeavors. I regret that we cannot provide a detailed written analysis of the reason(s) for your unsuccessful application.

i.e. Don't be too sad we dumped you. And please, just go away quietly and leave us alone.

Reactions: 4 users
Meh, I don't care too much about the wording TBQH, but in the spirit of SDN neuroticism it's still entertaining to analyze the quality of these communications.

We are mindful of the potential adverse effects these decisions may have on the lives of those to whom they are rendered. In conveying this decision to you, we hope that your disappointment will be short-lived and will serve as additional impetus to success in your future endeavors. I regret that we cannot provide a detailed written analysis of the reason(s) for your unsuccessful application.

i.e. Don't be too sad we dumped you. And please, just go away quietly and leave us alone.

This is like that time in college when I dropped from a B+/A- in a math class to a C+ after the final. I emailed the professor to ask if there had been a mistake because I thought there was no way I could have done that poorly on the final.

His response: "Let me just say: it was bad."

I started cracking up. I thought it was hilarious.

Reactions: 3 users

Ah, here comes one of my pet peeves. We are going to dump you but we are not telling you why! Go in the corner in try to figure out what you did wrong. :D

Yup!

The Ontario application is brutal... I just called and apparently I have to send an official high school transcript! To order that, you're meant to request it by mail. The deadline is Oct. 1. Fun!

I am so overwhelmed...

I guess I can see the usefulness of a high school transcript in determining academic trends, but the variability among high schools is 100 times worse than colleges. You also start when you're 14. That has little to no bearing on how you're going to perform in medical school or as a doctor. I had to drag up mine for some things as well and my high school told me they didn't have it anymore at first (class of 2001) but later found it. They weren't even using an electronic system yet then.

I thought this thread had gone eerily silent, but that was just SDN not posting alerts for me anymore.

Interview #3 today. Tufts!

Every II turns that school immediately into my FAVORITE school ever. Boston would be glorious!

Good gravy. The highs and lows are brutal. If we make it through this cycle without a heart attack or mental breakdown, we can for sure make it through medical school, amiright?!?

I hope to meet a few of you on my travels.
Anybody interviewing at MCG, Tufts, or Pitt?

Reactions: 6 users
I thought this thread had gone eerily silent, but that was just SDN not posting alerts for me anymore.

Interview #3 today. Tufts!

Every II turns that school immediately into my FAVORITE school ever. Boston would be glorious!

Good gravy. The highs and lows are brutal. If we make it through this cycle without a heart attack or mental breakdown, we can for sure make it through medical school, amiright?!?

I hope to meet a few of you on my travels.
Anybody interviewing at MCG, Tufts, or Pitt?

Congrats! Oh man...you're going to have such a tough time deciding! I'll be interviewing there first week of oct.

I'm going on 11/4. Let us know in the most appropriately vague terms how it goes?

That moment when you withdraw from one of your top schools by mistake because you clicked the link while looking for something else and it just changes your status without asking for confirmation.

@GameOfBones @treschic124 @Overanxious

I live and work in Boston. Let me know if you have any questions re:tufts. When were you all complete? One of my top choices as I would love to stay in the area!

Thank you for the offer! Complete 7/25. I'm hoping to get around without needing to rent a car or paying a ton of money for taxis...is this doable? In other words is there really good public transportation? My host lives 5 minutes from logan airport not sure where yet, and supposedly logan airport is also 7-8 minutes from Tufts and BU (I'm assuming all of these are by car). This brings me to my next question...Tufts vs BU what are your thoughts?

Side note: call the school and tell them what happened and they'll fix it.

Thank you for the offer! Complete 7/25. I'm hoping to get around without needing to rent a car or paying a ton of money for taxis...is this doable? In other words is there really good public transportation? My host lives 5 minutes from logan airport not sure where yet, and supposedly logan airport is also 7-8 minutes from Tufts and BU (I'm assuming all of these are by car). This brings me to my next question...Tufts vs BU what are your thoughts?

Side note: call the school and tell them what happened and they'll fix it.

Yeah, the T is pretty good, but Uber is great. I would use Uber over taxis whenever possible. Your host for where lives 5 mins from logan? I'm confused as to where that might be, East Boston, perhaps? And yes, those are all by car. I would definitely get Uber for getting places when you don't really know when you're going.

I honestly can't tell you much about the differences between those two schools, but I can say that I know medical students at both institutions and they are all very happy there.

You should DEFINITELY let me know when you're here. I owe you coffee or a drink!

Re side note: I called and emailed. Waiting for them to fix it. Could have been avoided with a confirmation page. Oh well.