2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will get a secondary from Drexel once my casket is closed.

Hahah! Man I thought I was one of the latest ones to get one....that was over three weeks ago....

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my primary there at the beginning of july and was complete around the end of the month. It has been over 2 months now.

Last edited:
OMG, I got an II at Mayo. I am flabbergasted.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OMG, I got an II at Mayo. I am flabbergasted.

Agreed and congratulations again! :happy: I got an II from Mayo this morning as well.

To all those waiting, I've read on many school-specific discussions that interview dates in late October and November were still pretty open, so it is still early in the cycle despite the high number of applicants and high number of early completers! Don't lost hope yet, my friends!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Agreed and congratulations again! :happy: I got an II from Mayo this morning as well.

To all those waiting, I've read on many school-specific discussions that interview dates in late October and November were still pretty open, so it is still early in the cycle despite the high number of applicants and high number of early completers! Don't lost hope yet, my friends!!!
Congrats!! That's awesome! Ahh!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!!!!!! So excited that this finally is going to happen.

Reactions: 6 users
Where?!?!?!

That's amazing news. Congrats on your DO acceptance!
Thanks, I was accepted at Rocky Vista. I still have three more interviews left, but I am 98% sure that RVU is for me. It was my #1 school for a long time.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys...the following thread is indescribable. I'm so glad i stumbled upon it after my horrific interview. Personally, i'd go in reverse reading order. Maybe i'm just super immature but i was in tears after reading some of these. It made my day.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/worst-interview-answers.359690/
I absolutely love this! Thanks, Overanxious, for sharing. It felt good to laugh!! (I don't believe, somehow, that you had a horrific interview.)

Started being put 'on hold' at a few schools now. Fun times.

I'm looking at you GW!

Also, is this the week I'll get my drexel secondary?

Holy cow it's going to be a busy three weeks coming up.

Classes started today, 17 credits plus teaching a4 credit freshman class. Picking up my suit tonight from tailoring.
First interview is next Friday, OHSU, then I fly out THE NEXT DAY for my UA-Phoenix interview on Monday the 13th. Home for 4 days, at least one midterm while I'm home, and off to Chicago on the 18th for my RFUMS interview on the 20th.

Time to ride the whirlwind!

Reactions: 7 users
Holy cow it's going to be a busy three weeks coming up.

Classes started today, 17 credits plus teaching a4 credit freshman class. Picking up my suit tonight from tailoring.
First interview is next Friday, OHSU, then I fly out THE NEXT DAY for my UA-Phoenix interview on Monday the 13th. Home for 4 days, at least one midterm while I'm home, and off to Chicago on the 18th for my RFUMS interview on the 20th.

Time to ride the whirlwind!
I keep thinking of Slim Pickens at the end of *Doctor Strangelove.* Wave that Stetson and shout Yippee-ki-yay!

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny, that was my mental image as I wrote it too!

And I just got an II from Temple as well. Thankfully it won't be until November.

Holy crap, I got my drexel secondary. Guess I'm going to submit it tomorrow over lunch!

Reactions: 10 users
They were one of the later ones, mid-late August I think?

I used to work for a company based in willow grove and spent a bit of time there for training and such. Philadelphia has bed. High on the list of "places I wouldn't mind living"

Cool. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon. Still under review. Just submitted Drexel though!

Reactions: 1 user
Had my thesis meeting today, I'm gonna graduate next year in the spring or summer! After my first project failed last year in June and starting a new project in october last year, I feel so blessed to have come this far to convince my committee that I am ready to have my PhD next year. I am so relieved :happy:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Interview invite from UA-Phoenix this morning after silence since early July.

Still no confirmation from OHSU which has me a bit nervous, may call tomorrow if still no word.

No new rejections :)
Remember, no news is good news!
Correct attitude!! Go for it!

Had my thesis meeting today, I'm gonna graduate next year in the spring or summer! After my first project failed last year in June and starting a new project in october last year, I feel so blessed to have come this far to convince my committee that I am ready to have my PhD next year. I am so releived :happy:
In *Catch 22,* there is a character whose last name is Major. His parents, who apparently have a bizarre sense of humor, give him the first name "Major." Then he is drafted, and despite his dislike of the military and obvious incompetence, he--we all guessed it, right?--is promoted, probably as a joke, to the rank of Major. Thus he becomes Major Major Major. (But they call him Major Major for short, if I remember correctly.) Good thing that "Research" is your middle name. . .since you are on your way to becoming Doctor Doctor! Congratulations and many hurrahs! :clap:

Reactions: 3 users
Oh, almost forgot! I got my long-awaited II from Brown today. The past weeks have been a bit like being tossed on a stormy sea in a treacherous and unknown locale. And then, through the profound darkness, a single ray of light. . .a lighthouse!! Something to swim toward!

Oh, almost forgot! I got my long-awaited II from Brown today. The past weeks have been a bit like being tossed on a stormy sea in a treacherous and unknown locale. And then, through the profound darkness, a single ray of light. . .a lighthouse!! Something to swim toward!

Ahh! Congrats! They have such an incredibly high acceptance rate for interviewees!

In *Catch 22,* there is a character whose last name is Major. His parents, who apparently have a bizarre sense of humor, give him the first name "Major." Then he is drafted, and despite his dislike of the military and obvious incompetence, he--we all guessed it, right?--is promoted, probably as a joke, to the rank of Major. Thus he becomes Major Major Major. (But they call him Major Major for short, if I remember correctly.) Good thing that "Research" is your middle name. . .since you are on your way to becoming Doctor Doctor! Congratulations and many hurrahs! :clap:

Awww Bengali, hahahahahahaha I wasn't sure where you were going with this but you tied it all in so wonderfully. Yus yus my name is Doctor Research Doctor, not pretentious at all, no siree Bob :D

CONGRATULATIONS dost!!! I've been wating an II from there so badly :) They have a great class and you'd fit right in! :D

I can't believe that some of us are in the running to receive that all-important phone call on or around Oct. 15. I've tried to visualize it so I don't fall apart, but if I do get that call I think it will be hard for me not to scream, cry, and tremble. I'm scheduled to be in an all-day training so hopefully that will help distract. I'm going to be a ball of nerves that day.

I can't believe that some of us are in the running to receive that all-important phone call on or around Oct. 15. I've tried to visualize it so I don't fall apart, but if I do get that call I think it will be hard for me not to scream, cry, and tremble. I'm scheduled to be in an all-day training so hopefully that will help distract. I'm going to be a ball of nerves that day.

+1!!!

Awww Bengali, hahahahahahaha I wasn't sure where you were going with this but you tied it all in so wonderfully. Yus yus my name is Doctor Research Doctor, not pretentious at all, no siree Bob :D

CONGRATULATIONS dost!!! I've been wating an II from there so badly :) They have a great class and you'd fit right in! :D
I'll fit in even better if we are both there, Your Majesty Doctor Research Doctor! :joyful: I'm pretty sure that if I just mention this desire, the Powers That Be will enroll us both stat! BTW, my interview date is November 21, if you are scheduling. . .

What is October 15?

For MD programs. DO doesn't have the same trafficking rules.

I'll fit in even better if we are both there, Your Majesty Doctor Research Doctor! :joyful: I'm pretty sure that if I just mention this desire, the Powers That Be will enroll us both stat! BTW, my interview date is November 21, if you are scheduling. . .

I'll keep that in mind and I hope the Powers That Be listen to you :D

Pretty quiet so far.

I feel my energy and aptitude for work slowly starting to come back so I'm going to try to capitalize on it and get some stuff done to keep the momentum going. I'll pop back in from time to time, but need to keep my distance for sanity haha.

Also trying hard to get a talk ready for next week's presentation. It still hasn't quite hit me that I'm going to be presenting at a conference and will be the most lowly person there. Egad.

Last edited:
Pretty quiet so far.

I feel my energy and aptitude for work slowly starting to come back so I'm going to try to capitalize on it and get some stuff done to keep the momentum going. I'll pop back in from time to time, but need to keep my distance for sanity haha.

Also trying hard to get a talk ready for next week's presentation. It still hasn't quite hit me that I'm going to be presenting at a conference and will be the most lowly person there. Egad.

Good luck! With your confidence I'm sure you'll do great!!

Pretty quiet so far.

My friend used to tell me that he wasn't sure if I was the dumbest of the smart people or the smartest of the dumb people. Sounds to me as if you are either the most exalted of the lowly or the lowliest of the most exalted, and both sound pretty good!:heckyeah:

I just want an interviewwwww :-/
If I recall, you were complete for a month? Things slow down in the fall, so I don't think you have much to worry about yet. It took me almost a month and a half to get my first II and I was complete since July at most schools.

If I recall, you were complete for a month? Things slow down in the fall, so I don't think you have much to worry about yet. It took me almost a month and a half to get my first II and I was complete since July at most schools.
Yeah my new MCAT came back Aug 26 so I wasn't complete at schools until then to Early September. Hoping for some good news, already got two rejections back to back :-/

Yeah my new MCAT came back Aug 26 so I wasn't complete at schools until then to Early September. Hoping for some good news, already got two rejections back to back :-/
So simmer down, buddy. Worry when worry is necessary. It'll be fine, really!

I was complete mid august at most places (with a few late aug and early sept) and I've only heard back from 4 schools. I sent secondaries to 42. Easy up!

I was complete mid august at most places (with a few late aug and early sept) and I've only heard back from 4 schools. I sent secondaries to 42. Easy up!
No disrespect intended, but that is not a typo? Secondaries to 42? Yeah, you deserve more!

No disrespect intended, but that is not a typo? Secondaries to 42? Yeah, you deserve more!

Nope, not a typo. My school didn't send letters till mid august hence the late completion date.

I'm on FAP because of family circumstances and my being unemployed for half of 2013. I'm doing far better now (though wish I could say the same for my folks), but decided that I should use the amount I had put aside for apps and secondaries to do as many as possible as FAP recipients usually have secondary fees waived.

Money is a relatively big issue for me even in terms of loans, so I felt it best to apply to as many places as possible and use vacation time for that if necessary (used about a week) and suck it up in terms of travel as the few thousand dollars (freaking ouch!) on application and travel costs could me multiplied significantly if I only got into a school or two and didn't have a chance to 'shop around'.

I'm not trying to be disingenuous or cocky, but I think my application is compelling enough to merit a few interviews and atleast one acceptance. MSAR says that someone with my stats has about a 65% shot and I thought it best to stratify risk as I had the means. People were saying that I was going to die come interview season, but till date I haven't been bombarded the way they feared so maybe I'll end up with only a handful which is fine by me!

Side note: I got my first interview when I logged into a portal randomly. I've been logging into a few schools every day now and I'm going to stop because it is such a time sink and doesn't help anything!

It's so hard to wait for more news! How are you guys keeping yourself distracted? I'm at a lull at work and in volunteering (I do in-home hospice volunteering, and I don't have a patient right now). I cannot handle this concept of free time!

The wait was super tough for me too, and I used to do what @ridethecliche described below every other day. Complete at most schools mid July, so you can imagine how draining that was hahahaha. Well since about 7 weeks ago, I started writing a code for a story that's on this cool app. When I'm not in the lab, I'm designing the plot and coding the story since it's programmed via a computer (I've rediscovered a new hobby... haven't "coded" since I was 8... super fun!). It's shocking really how much that takes my mind away from this process. It's awesome :D Because I only fret when I get II's. The first week I started doing this I felt so disconnected from med school application season when I finally remembered to log into SDN ;)

Side note: I got my first interview when I logged into a portal randomly. I've been logging into a few schools every day now and I'm going to stop because it is such a time sink and doesn't help anything!

Yea, don't do that! I killed my sanity for a while ;)

Nice coping mechanisms guys, I just drink with friends and lift... Haha but it works for me.

Nice coping mechanisms guys, I just drink with friends and lift... Haha but it works for me.

I've been starting to hit the research super hard again. Feels good mang. Just gave my talk to the PI and he gave a TON of helpful pointers. I seriously love working for these doctors. They really invest a lot of time and energy in me and have made this last year an amazing experience.

I've also been doing a lot of lifting recently... just getting back into the swing of things after having had surgery a year and a half ago. I'm up almost 20 lbs. Feels awesome! I just wish I could do more fun things in the gym, but squats, deads, and oly lifts are out of the picture for now :/ I did start cycling again a bit which is super nice!

I also got back into playing some PS3 things and got back into borderlands on that and got Starcraft 2 for the PC.

I've also been trying to make more of an effort to hang out with friends lately. I have a few good ones here that I'd like to see more often. Trying to get to the gym earlier so I can go hang out for a bit instead of getting home after work/gym/dinner at 10 and being too tired to do anything.

Trying to get to the gym earlier so I can go hang out for a bit instead of getting home after work/gym/dinner at 10 and being too tired to do anything.
That's my biggest problem!

Even with a requirement to be fit and some time afforded to me at work to do so, I struggle to plan accordingly. I'm in good shape and can pass a fitness test on the spot, but I am struggling to fit in my fitness randomly instead of doing something every morning at the same time.

Between work and school, 3 days a week I leave the house at 530 am and get back at 1045pm. That doesn't include any workout time. Then I'm so exhausted the other days that I want to skip the workouts.

I'm not doing that, but it's a constant struggle