2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not exactly sure I follow then, if the secondary costs nothing, then what do you have to lose?

If I can't recycle essays at this point, I don't have it in me to do any more (I did 42 secondaries). It's almost november, it's not like the schools is going to magically have spots left just for me. I'd rather not pay money to travel for an interview if it's for a waitlist spot.

The school it's going to doesn't change anything. Like I said earlier, I got my UCSF secondary a few days after submitting the primary. I was under the impression that they were sending many more secondaries out this year, but that's complete conjecture on my end.

GoB certainly has nothing to lose, however so...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I can't recycle essays at this point, I don't have it in me to do any more. It's almost november, it's not like the schools is going to magically have spots left just for me. I'd rather not pay money to travel for an interview if it's for a waitlist spot.
I don't think this is true... Of course your chances are diminished later on in the cycle, but I don't think they send out late IIs just to fill a waitlist. Like I've said before, I personally know a few people who didn't submit until very late (one past the deadline) and still interviewed in Feb-May and were accepted, including to a few UCs...all non-trad overrepresented males.

Additionally unless you are holding acceptances to places you'd rather go, I almost see no reason not to go to a UCLA/UCSF interview

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think this is true... Of course your chances are diminished later on in the cycle, but I don't think they send out late IIs just to fill a waitlist. Like I've said before, I personally know a few people who didn't submit until very late (one past the deadline) and still interviewed in Feb-May and were accepted, including to a few UCs...all non-trad overrepresented males.

Additionally unless you are holding acceptances to places you'd rather go, I almost see no reason not to go to a UCLA/UCSF interview

Like I said, if GoB is a super strong applicant, they should go for it. I'm guessing your friends had some compelling things in their application as well. Judging from my progress thus far and my impressions even before the start of this cycle, I am none of those things. This is reality and I'm fine with it, but it is what it is.

GoB seems to be having a good cycle so far so sure why not. I'm not arguing that GoB shouldn't go for it, because sure why not, but I'm not sure how much sense it makes at this point. There are always the n=1 stories of people who applied late and got in but those are far from the norm.

There's a big difference between 'does it make sense' vs. 'is there any harm'. You can argue the latter for applying to new schools at this point as well, but it's harder to argue the former.

I certainly wish GoB good luck regardless!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this might sound weird, but does anyone know if it looks weird/bad to send a secondary app almost instantaneously (at least within an hour) of receiving it? Would they question how we have the prompts already, if we maybe just cranked it out during that hour and didn't take enough time, etc...

I know we are all a bunch of hyper-analytical overachievers, but I can't imagine anyone actually notices the turnaround time...whether 2 minutes or two weeks.

Who knows, really. :shrug:

I know this might sound weird, but does anyone know if it looks weird/bad to send a secondary app almost instantaneously (at least within an hour) of receiving it? Would they question how we have the prompts already, if we maybe just cranked it out during that hour and didn't take enough time, etc...
Well... I would say no and I don't know if my situation changes my answer either but I returned a secondary within an hour of release and wasn't reviewed until weeks after people that returned theirs the next week... So who knows haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats @GameOfBones!!! I unexpectedly got a UCSF secondary too a while back and I felt like my life was complete haha. And then the UCSF thread turned into a convo about how they seem to be sending out SO MANY more this year. And I wanted to shout, "No no no stop!! Just let me have my moment of glory!"

Reactions: 5 users
I doubt they notice, and if they do, I think it shows how excited you are for the school, pre-writing a secondary for them.

@Inygma I don't know why but I decided you were a girl a long time ago... I even ignored the male symbol. Until I pulled up your MDapps. LOL sorry
Haha, I didn't understand what you meant by my male symbol till I realized I guess the default symbol is your gender! No worries, I called @researchismymiddlename a boy just a few weeks ago.

Thought, I would join this discussion, since I'm currently losing it a little over the acceptance/rejection/interview wait.

I finished a PBPM program at NYU last spring with a 3.6 after a 3.3 at Syracuse and got a 34 on a June MCAT. I have applied to 18 MD program's and 3 D.O. programs. I currently have 1 interview (NYMC), 2 rejections (Cooper, Brown), and a "pre-interview hold" (Upstate). Still nervously waiting on everyone else.

I'd appreciate, any information if anyone has heard back from NYC area schools or the two NJ state schools (Jersey City Resident). Also if anyone else has a gap year, what are you up to? I'm fingers crossed starting something at Columbia soon if HR okays it, kinda bummed it will take until November to get started.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought, I would join this discussion, since I'm currently losing it a little over the acceptance/rejection/interview wait.

I finished a PBPM program at NYU last spring with a 3.6 after a 3.3 at Syracuse and got a 34 on a June MCAT. I have applied to 18 MD program's and 3 D.O. programs. I currently have 1 interview (NYMC), 2 rejections (Cooper, Brown), and a "pre-interview hold" (Upstate). Still nervously waiting on everyone else.

I'd appreciate, any information if anyone has heard back from NYC area schools or the two NJ state schools (Jersey City Resident). Also if anyone else has a gap year, what are you up to? I'm fingers crossed starting something at Columbia soon if HR okays it, kinda bummed it will take until November to get started.
Welcome! I had counted the NYC area out until I recently got an II from there. I did send in the area emails because I am going to be in town soon for non-medical school-related reasons. Perhaps it prompted it? Who knows.

I have taken several gap years, working in healthcare consulting, but did a post-bacc in between.

I think it's just a lot different this year with schools getting more applicants than usual (as in not a slight increase as expected each year, but a significant increase). I want to attribute it to the ease of adding another school and that maybe because the economy is getting a little better, people are more willing to roll the dice more places. Can't speak for everyone though, but I think patient is a virtue here and if you haven't been rejected you are still in the running!

Also too, some schools will not let you know until March if you got accepted post-interview, so the game isn't over until then, just get into that mindset! It'll make it easier I think.

Last edited:

It sounds like you had a later application. I wouldn't lose hope until spring.

Random note, I noticed that in previous years, the threads have been parsed out between Progress vs. Interviews vs. Acceptances. Do we want to break things up so that it's easier to follow?

I would be game to start splitting off into an Interview and Acceptances thread like the previous years.

@milski @wholeheartedly what are your thoughts?

Welcome! I had counted the NYC area out until I recently got an II from there. I did send in the area emails because I am going to be in town soon for non-medical school-related reasons. Perhaps it prompted it? Who knows.

I have taken several gap years, working in healthcare consulting, but did a post-bacc in between.

I think it's just a lot different this year with schools getting more applicants than usual (as in not a slight increase as expected each year, but a significant increase). I want to attribute it to the ease of adding another school and that maybe because the economy is getting a little better, people are more willing to roll the dice more places. Can't speak for everyone though, but I think patient is a virtue here and if you haven't been rejected you are still in the running!

Also too, some schools will not let you know until March if you got accepted post-interview, so the game isn't over until then, just get into that mindset! It'll make it easier I think.

Do you know if the total applicants has significantly increased? Or just the applications at each school (similar # of applicants applying, just applying to more on average)?

Random note, I noticed that in previous years, the threads have been parsed out between Progress vs. Interviews vs. Acceptances. Do we want to break things up so that it's easier to follow?

I would be game to start splitting off into an Interview and Acceptances thread like the previous years.

NOOO!!! I'm not until 2016-2017 cycle but I follow along with you guys here. :)

@Bbroush maybe I missed it but I feel like we haven't heard from you in a while....

Sorry guys, I've been super busy the last six weeks or so, also I have yet to have an II so.... kinda stressed. :unsure:

I did have a phone interview last friday with Western Michigan! So that was great! 50% get II's.

I also just applied to 5 DO schools over the last couple weeks. AACOMAS is still processing.

I finally got my first interview invite yesterday. I was staying away from SDN, but now I am back!

CONGRATS KNOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also just applied to 5 DO schools over the last couple weeks. AACOMAS is still processing.
In my experience AACOMAS was very slow. I completed their application about the same time as I completed my AMCAS, but it took them almost a month longer to process. I was finished during their busy season though, so hopefully you won't have the same experience.

Yeah we can do that no prob. I'll get them going.

No acceptances yet but I just got II #6 at Drexel.

Ahhhhh, I just want to end this cycle already!!

Reactions: 6 users

I think we used to have a separate acceptances thread which was supposed to be only for announcements, which meant that we sidetracked it only once a week. :) I don't think we've had a II one but it is never too late. I'm fine with keeping the tradition, it is a bit like a rite of passage to post in one of those.

In somewhat related news - I saw a new email in my AMCAS folder tonight (where everything from .edu goes). Mentally prepared for the next rejection, it turned out to be a secondary invited from UCSF?!? For what it's worth, I submitted and was verified on the first day possible. So the only thing I can say at this point - you are not rejected until you hold that rejection in hand!

Reactions: 8 users
As a counterpoint to what I was saying earlier, my coworker got a JHU II in december last year. He's there now.

Just sayin'.

Reactions: 1 users
Rereading everything from my app before my interview tomorrow and noticed a spelling or grammar error in 3 of my experiences. Oops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I missed a grammar mistake in the first sentence (first three words, in fact) my diversity essay after I had sent it to 3 or 4 schools.
Doh!

@Glycereine, just remember all that you've done to get to this interview. I know people have stressed being familiar with your application, and I second that, but don't worry too much. Those are your life experiences and you should be able to speak to them fairly easily. Those are the things you've done in your pursuit of this goal, and I encourage you to let your passion and dedication shine through. I've read a lot of articles (including the one below) that encourage interviewees to be sincere, humble yet confident, and self-reflective. I've tried to do this and am proud to have 2 acceptances to schools that I would love to attend. Be proud of what you've accomplished and be ready to acknowledge what you've learned from your previous mistakes. Ok, end soapbox. Rock that interview!

http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...medical-school-interview-questions?src=usn_tw

Rejections from USC and UCSF today, along with an II from Penn state.

Makes the count 6 interviews and 7 rejections. CMS interview on Monday went well, Chicago is awesome. Trying to dig myself out of the hole with classes.

Reactions: 6 users
Rejections from USC and UCSF today, along with an II from Penn state.

Makes the count 6 interviews and 7 rejections. CMS interview on Monday went well, Chicago is awesome. Trying to dig myself out of the hole with classes.

Wowza, you are killin' it!

6II:7Rejections is a gnarly ratio so far!

When were you complete at PSU? Are you IS?

Thanks. :) I'm just glad that PSU came through when it did, I was able to combine the trip with Temple and save a ton of $$$.

I was complete on 7/21/14, OOS, currently at a different PSU...maybe they just liked the irony?

Hey congrats to everyone who has gotten acceptances! And to everyone with all the IIs, good luck on the upcoming interviews, looks like the nontrads are doing great this year!

Sorry for being MIA but I ended up getting pulled from a WL days before orientation, cancelled the interviews I had and life has been a little crazy since haha. I'm stoked for how well everyone is doing though and I'm rooting for you all!

Reactions: 15 users
Hey congrats to everyone who has gotten acceptances! And to everyone with all the IIs, good luck on the upcoming interviews, looks like the nontrads are doing great this year!

Sorry for being MIA but I ended up getting pulled from a WL days before orientation, cancelled the interviews I had and life has been a little crazy since haha. I'm stoked for how well everyone is doing though and I'm rooting for you all!
Wait, what? Did you get admitted to class '18? If I understand correctly and that's the case, it's just awesome - congratulations!!

Reactions: 4 users

Wow! That's so great! Congratulations, and thanks for updating us.

Reactions: 3 users
It's so hard to wait for more news! How are you guys keeping yourself distracted? I'm at a lull at work and in volunteering (I do in-home hospice volunteering, and I don't have a patient right now). I cannot handle this concept of free time!
THAT'S what you should have written on your Personal Statement!! What better qualification for an MD than the inability to handle free time? :) Distraction is a worthy goal, but seems unattainable despite all striving. I seem to consult the Oracle of SDN frequently!!

@juliuspepperwood where'd you get in? That's so incredibleeee!!!

Side note, my Hofstra interview just got moved up. It's going to be next month. I JUST GOT ALL THE BUTTERFLIES! Time to start freaking out!

Edit: I mean preparing. Yeah, that's what I meant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
First rejection: USC... RIP
I'm sorry to hear it! What does it say about me that I check my email whenever someone posts about a rejection from a school I've applied to?

I'm sorry to hear it! What does it say about me that I check my email whenever someone posts about a rejection from a school I've applied to?
I do too! I really would like to see how it happens. Does the person sigh before hitting the button? Do they do a double-take through the person it's going to? Hmm..

I was just thinking about you yesterday! This is great news, congratulations.

Reactions: 4 users
I was just thinking about you yesterday! This is great news, congratulations.
Thank you! And thank you for all the advice and encouragement along the way!

It was a crazy cycle but ending up at my top choice was amazing, still doesn't feel real even though I've been here for almost two months.

Reactions: 8 users
Spill the beans. I have so much excitement on your account right now that I need an outlet lol.

Hah, I have at least one friend there!

Andddd I just got rejected from usc.

Reactions: 1 users