2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha, whatever it was fun! It can be slightly awkward to meet internet-friends in person especially when you're eating soup dumplings for the first time. I'm glad I got to show you around a bit though!
I'm jelly. I want to meet you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I also got a little too excited about meeting her and gave her a hug when she gave me her hand to shake. Oops.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm jelly. I want to meet you all.
What he's really saying there is i was squirting soup all over the place and had to peel the dumplings off my face sans soup. I was mortified it was pretty bad and hilarious...i was embarrassed for him having to be seen with me. :laugh:

It would definitely be nice to put some real faces to these convos.

Reactions: 1 user
Tulane only wants 3. They say "Additional letters are not necessary and are discouraged." Mount Sinai only wants 2. Keck urges you to think long and hard before sending more than the 2 they ask for.
But this is my real face.

I know, I find the idea that you don't look (and act) like Leslie completely absurd. And Tulane are crazy to want whole 3 faces. :p
My phone is glitching out! I have no idea where that came from.

A huge...? :D

A HUG DAMMIT!

She was having trouble getting the huge things in her mouth. To be fair the dumplings were ginormous! And oohh so good!

What he's really saying there is i was squirting soup all over the place and had to peel the dumplings off my face sans soup. I was mortified it was pretty bad and hilarious...i was embarrassed for him having to be seen with me. :laugh:

It would definitely be nice to put some real faces to these convos.

Oh shush. You were fine. Glad to have been able to give you your first soup dumpling experience.

In other news, when you are a bigshot attending, you should show appreciation for your staff by taking them out to the swanky ass bar next door once in a while and paying the 1.1k+ tab and talking incessantly about how incredible it is to work with everyone.

Seriously, this guy is so good to us I have no problem coming in and busting my ass doing analysis for him over the weekend or whenever really...

Agreed, I am a slight gambler and would like to see what ended up happening with my application. Withdrawing pre-rejection or II seems like going up to a table, putting down a black chip and then walking away.

Agreed!

Also... ConsultantMD and I ate pizza in Chicago together! SDN friends are fun. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you! I wouldn't give up, yet. They accept secondaries through the end of December and they send them out piecemeal it seems.

And look at that, @Leslie_Knope with the clairvoyance! My Nevada secondary showed up this morning, although it was addressed to "Dear <first>,"
Think that's a bad omen? ;-)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Zilch this week.
Agreed, it's been a quiet couple of weeks since a lot of big news middle of last month. Can't complain though! I just really want to know what's going on at some schools where big waves of rejections have come out. I guess I've been spared for the time being. :nailbiting:

Agreed, it's been a quiet couple of weeks since a lot of big news middle of last month. Can't complain though! I just really want to know what's going on at some schools where big waves of rejections have come out. I guess I've been spared for the time being. :nailbiting:
+1

+2. It's hard to be grateful for silence, but I'm trying to stay positive.

I really want to hear something from Columbia.

2 papers ready to submit. Forgot to include one of the authors in the final manuscript 'edits' etc. Thought he wouldn't care... he did. Hoping he doesn't have any crazy changes. I WANT TO SUBMIT AND SEND UPDATE LETTERS DAMMIT!

Kind of late to send updates after like mid nov :/

2 papers ready to submit. Forgot to include one of the authors in the final manuscript 'edits' etc. Thought he wouldn't care... he did. Hoping he doesn't have any crazy changes. I WANT TO SUBMIT AND SEND UPDATE LETTERS DAMMIT!

Kind of late to send updates after like mid nov :/
For something significant like pubs, I think it's probably never too late to send an update if you haven't heard from the school yet.

And congrats on being almost there. I'm totally jealous.
The one I've got in the works has been stalled for the last month while we all troubleshoot stupid issues.

Got some advice from @Goro last night. Writing an update letter today and I'm going to send it out to a bunch of schools this afternoon and evening. Hopefully it'll bring out a few II's and rejections.

I think it's nuts that I haven't heard from 75% of my schools...

Reactions: 5 users
Got some advice from @Goro last night. Writing an update letter today and I'm going to send it out to a bunch of schools this afternoon and evening. Hopefully it'll bring out a few II's and rejections.

I've been waiting to finish two manuscripts I've been working on for publication, but it's taking a while. I feel like I don't have enough right now for a good update letter personally. Best of luck though! I'm in the same boat with hearing from schools.

I've been waiting to finish two manuscripts I've been working on for publication, but it's taking a while. I feel like I don't have enough right now for a good update letter personally. Best of luck though! I'm in the same boat with hearing from schools.

I'm sending mine in because I've given a talk, had a manuscript accepted, and submitted a first author manuscript.

Non-traditional here accepted to a DO university last week!!! Extremely excited! :)

Still waiting to hear about ii's from...I think 11 other schools, keep your fingers crossed!

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah. Apparently this happened almost a week ago. Didn't see it till I logged in to send an update.

Drexel says they don't take pre-I letters. Blah. I might send one anyway...probably not. At this point I'm so close to just saying 'F -it...'

About 65% here. I wonder if many schools do silent rejects. I also wonder how many applicants interview Jan-Mar vs Sep-Dec. Is there hope for those of use who haven't heard from most of the schools so far. Or should be consider it a silent reject?

Some silent rejections I'm sure, but also done slow pokes. I think there will be a bunch of movement in Jan as well.

I really liked Hofstra I think I cursed a bit during my second interview when quoting someone, but the interviewer was agreeing with what I said. I need to learn to be more succinct, but I think I was more elaborate and thoughtful than wordy.

I had a really good time!

Just rejected 2 weeks post interview from Rush! All I can do is laugh and think i must have been pretty bad that day to warrant such a speedy turn around.

I got an II from Creighton! :soexcited: This will be my third interview, but no final decisions yet. I'm a reapplicant....sooooo hoping that this is my year.

Reactions: 6 users
No news two weeks in a row other than the rejection from one case western program.

C'mon schools!

@BengaliBrat I saw some news on another thread you should be sharing here :)
Ah. . . finally I do have a bit of good news to share--I got accepted at University of Cincinnati! It was the first to send me an II and the first to accept me. Thanks for noticing. . .when I see how many acceptances many of you have, and at what highly ranked schools, I am humbled. Still, I am so grateful that I was granted a chance to study medicine! So kind of you, sunshinefl, to notice me and extend me an invitation to give my good news. Thank you!

Reactions: 6 users
No news two weeks in a row other than the rejection from one case western program.

C'mon schools!
I am sorry about the Case decision. Crazy people! Hang in there for good news. . .

Ah. . . finally I do have a bit of good news to share--I got accepted at University of Cincinnati! It was the first to send me an II and the first to accept me. Thanks for noticing. . .when I see how many acceptances many of you have, and at what highly ranked schools, I am humbled. Still, I am so grateful that I was granted a chance to study medicine! So kind of you, sunshinefl, to notice me and extend me an invitation to give my good news. Thank you!
Yay! Yes I was so excited to read it. This is not my cycle but I am following all the schools I will apply to...and University of Cincinnati is one of them. I am so proud of you. No need to be humbled, get amped! You're in!!!! I told you guys I get excited just to see my non-trad friends on other threads :)

Ugh...just got a snail mail rejection from Pitt's MSTP today. And no update on their portal.
Seriously Pitt? That's like an emotional ambush...

Ugh...just got a snail mail rejection from Pitt's MSTP today. And no update on their portal.
Seriously Pitt? That's like an emotional ambush...
Pitt shot me down long back, so I sympathize. Keep going, and don't look back!

Yay! Yes I was so excited to read it. This is not my cycle but I am following all the schools I will apply to...and University of Cincinnati is one of them. I am so proud of you. No need to be humbled, get amped! You're in!!!! I told you guys I get excited just to see my non-trad friends on other threads :)
Is this nice or what, guys? Being so supportive of others is a rare gift. . .we have some amazing doctors in the making here, and sunshinefl, you are one of them!

So, I've decided to go Caribbean. I had a heart to heart with myself and it's what I've always wanted since the start of this dream 3 years ago, when I learned my undergrad school (MCPHS) had a compact with Ross.

I want different. I want adventure. I want warm weather. I want to show my daughter another culture, since this one is really blinding her to reality. For me this is, and always will be, the right choice.

After talking with over 10 alumni working in my area, and flying down to visit the school, I am more than proud to say that I will be attending St. George's University, class of 2019.

Reactions: 9 users
So, I've decided to go Caribbean. I had a heart to heart with myself and it's what I've always wanted since the start of this dream 3 years ago, when I learned my undergrad school (MCPHS) had a compact with Ross.

I want different. I want adventure. I want warm weather. I want to show my daughter another culture, since this one is really blinding her to reality. For me this is, and always will be, the right choice.

After talking with over 10 alumni working in my area, and flying down to visit the school, I am more than proud to say that I will be attending St. George's University, class of 2019.
It's wonderful that you have listened to your heart--although it sounds as if your brain was also invited to the conversation, and contributed to it! You know what you want and you are pursuing it, clear-headed and clear-eyed. Congratulations to you! And, in honor of "the original" St. George, hope that you slay many dragons and rescue many damsels! Go for it!!!

Congratulations on taking the next step in your path to becoming a physician!

Still on the post interview high.

Stayed up wicked late last night drafting a thank you/update letter to hofstra. Going to wrap it up over lunch today and send it in.

Still on the post interview high.

Stayed up wicked late last night drafting a thank you/update letter to hofstra. Going to wrap it up over lunch today and send it in.
It must be a masterpiece! Here's hoping it achieves the objective!!