2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, Mayo med and OHSU! Go @asyouwish and @WaterPog ! :clap: Y'all get to rest easy this holiday season.

I'm thankful this week to secure an interview 3 months earlier than the date that I initially selected. A slot opened up for early December! Making travel arrangements now and trying not to freak out...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks All! This process is crazy and I feel very fortunate to have the choices I do. I'm so thankful for the support I've found on this thread and I really hope we all get at least one acceptance this year!

Reactions: 1 users
I am not expressing a lack of confidence, but should you need a second reader, I'd also be willing to take a look. My parents (both profs) have drummed into my head the importance of "the story," so I may be helpful. Some interviewers have complimented my essays. (Not saying that I'm getting a Pulitzer Prize, just that "some interviewers" liked them.) Right now, though, I am "helping" by thinking that you WILL succeed this round and that patience and positive thinking--along with your qualifications--will be rewarded.

A blessed giving of thanks to all. I hope that we all manage to remember how fortunate we are and recall those less fortunate.

Your posts are always so positive and full of encouragement. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Great news coming from the non trad thread!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations guys! Love the sound of dreams being realized! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! :chicken:

Thank you for being the best thread on SDN!

Wow great news for the non-trads!! That's awesome! Happy T-day everyone!

I think my application may be similar to @kthxbai. My activities and personal statement reflect my journey, what I've learned and what really drives me to pursue medicine, even in my 30s. And I've also received interviews from some of the high volume schools. I've had some interviewers quote from my personal statement. And at my interviews I've basically retold my story and why I want to be a physician. Apparently it works to be true to yourself.

And I have something extra to be thankful for this week: I was accepted at Mayo Medical School this morning!
FABULOUS!! Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
And the award for happiest thread ever goes to....

PS Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Hey guys - a bit of a lurker here, but wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!

I freak out about my own apps on-and-off pretty much every day, but this thread is such a support even though I'm not really a part of the conversation. Congrats to those with good news and acceptances today. For those of us still waiting or feeling underwhelmed, I keep faith that at the end of it all - regardless of what happens - we will still be more than okay. :biglove:

P.S. I've been living the expat life for three Thanksgivings now, so please enjoy all of that yummy Thanksgiving food for me!! :pigeon: ( <-- I think this is a turkey...?)

Thanks All! This process is crazy and I feel very fortunate to have the choices I do. I'm so thankful for the support I've found on this thread and I really hope we all get at least one acceptance this year!

I second this guy and congratulate everyone who've been accepted this week. I am glad to be following this thread and hope I got good news for y'all soon too.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I'm a non-trad international (Canada) that just got accepted. I applied to about 25 schools with the following stats:

GPA: ~3.8
MCAT: 31 unbalanced
ECs: Quite strong/diverse I think as a non-trad

I've gotten a LOT of rejections, but was lucky to get 3 interviews (not expecting anymore), waitlisted at one, accepted at one, and waiting to hear back from the other (most likely a rejection though). I applied last year in Canada but didn't even get an interview so I tried my hand at USMD. I've gotten a lot from the community on SDN so I just wanted to give back if I can. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me. Just wanted to wish you all the best and to never give up on your dreams.
Congratulations! So happy to hear about the acceptance--and thank you for the encouragement. Good news. . . . and a very nice message.

Hi! Non-traditional applicant here from MN... 34 years old guy (ignore my sn... my wife set the account up initially). Worked in Cardiac Device Sales for 12 years with thousands of clinical hours and surgical hours within that career.

Science: 3.5 gpa
MCAT: 30 (verbal: 11 ps: 7 bio: 12)

Applied to 23 schools. Initial application complete mid-september. 7 rejections. 14 secondaries completed. Still waiting on two schools (Vanderbilt and UNC).

Is anyone writing LOI after secondaries but before receiving invites for interviews? I'm playing the waiting game and am nervous because I am a bit later in the application game.

I practiced some interview stuff over break with a cousin who does a bunch of hiring stuff. He helped me craft better stories for some of the stock questions, i.e. conflict with a coworker, how are you different now vs when you graduated, not being self deprecating, etc.

Wish I'd done this before hofstra. I think half that interview with the 2nd interviewer went great and the rest went poorly. So it goes.

I have two MMI's up next, so hopefully I'll get some 'regular' interviews to practice with.

Hi! Non-traditional applicant here from MN... 34 years old guy (ignore my sn... my wife set the account up initially). Worked in Cardiac Device Sales for 12 years with thousands of clinical hours and surgical hours within that career.

Science: 3.5 gpa
MCAT: 30 (verbal: 11 ps: 7 bio: 12)

Applied to 23 schools. Initial application complete mid-september. 7 rejections. 14 secondaries completed. Still waiting on two schools (Vanderbilt and UNC).

Is anyone writing LOI after secondaries but before receiving invites for interviews? I'm playing the waiting game and am nervous because I am a bit later in the application game.
Welcome to the thread!

In regards to your LOI question, I sent update letters to all the schools that would accept them about a month ago, and nothing really has happened except not being rejected from schools that have sent out rejections. I would say though that in your case, it is going to be a wait until the bitter end because your numbers are on the low side, but it could be helpful to send an LOI/update letter maybe. I have a low GPA which I think is my main issue, but my MCAT is very good and I mainly got IIs within 3 months of being complete at these schools.

When were you complete at most of these schools? Maybe they just haven't gotten to you yet.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but Vandy most likey will not send you a secondary (based on previous threads), I should've known better to apply there myself. Also, if you're not a NC resident, the chances at UNC are also slim. With your other schools, were your numbers in range for these schools? I know 23 schools is a lot, but I applied to a wide wide range of schools and am glad I did because I got interviews at places I thought I never would and rejections from places I thought were a match. This process is so weird, so so weird.

And I have to throw this out there as an MCAT instructor, but a 7 in PS could potentially be a big red flag. Playing devil's advocate, but do you have it in you to take it again and boost that score? Not to cast doubt, but in general though, in the event that you'd have to re-apply,that PS score would be something to improve, and then you'd be looking at the new MCAT with new content and it's longer. Just a thought, not trying to cast doubt, but I am one to look at all the possible scenarios...

Last edited:
The 7 was in PS. he didn't type them in typical order.
Welcome to the thread!

In regards to your LOI question, I sent update letters to all the schools that would accept them about a month ago, and nothing really has happened except not being rejected from schools that have sent out rejections. I would say though that in your case, it is going to be a wait until the bitter end because your numbers are on the low side, but it could be helpful to send an LOI/update letter maybe. I have a low GPA which I think is my main issue, but my MCAT is very good and I mainly got IIs within 3 months of being complete at these schools.

When were you complete at most of these schools? Maybe they just haven't gotten to you yet.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but Vandy most likey will not send you a secondary (based on previous threads), I should've known better to apply there myself. Also, if you're not a NC resident, the chances at UNC are also slim. With your other schools, were your numbers in range for these schools? I know 23 schools is a lot, but I applied to a wide wide range of schools and am glad I did because I got interviews at places I thought I never would and rejections from places I thought were a match. This process is so weird, so so weird.

And I have to throw this out there as an MCAT instructor, but a 7 in VR could potentially be a big red flag. Playing devil's advocate, but do you have it in you to take it again and boost that score? Not to cast doubt, but in general though, in the event that you'd have to re-apply,that VR score would be something to improve, and then you'd be looking at the new MCAT with new content and it's longer. Just a thought, not trying to cast doubt, but I am one to look at all the possible scenarios...

Welcome to the thread!

And I have to throw this out there as an MCAT instructor, but a 7 in PS could potentially be a big red flag. Playing devil's advocate, but do you have it in you to take it again and boost that score? Not to cast doubt, but in general though, in the event that you'd have to re-apply,that PS score would be something to improve, and then you'd be looking at the new MCAT with new content and it's longer. Just a thought, not trying to cast doubt, but I am one to look at all the possible scenarios...

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

As far at the 7 in PS, last year I got a 10 on that section but received a 23 overall. I did not apply last year due to this low mcat but I definitely improved overall but that section went the opposite direction for some reason.

I did apply to schools within my range. Vanderbilt and UNC were definitely long-shots. I completed most of my secondaries between Oct. 1 and mid-Nov.

As far as the LOI, I am not currently in school this year (needed to go back to work to support my family). I wouldn't have anything to update as far as grades or activities besides doing more of the same medical industry stuff I've been doing the last 12 years.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

As far at the 7 in PS, last year I got a 10 on that section but received a 23 overall. I did not apply last year due to this low mcat but I definitely improved overall but that section went the opposite direction for some reason.

I did apply to schools within my range. Vanderbilt and UNC were definitely long-shots. I completed most of my secondaries between Oct. 1 and mid-Nov.

As far as the LOI, I am not currently in school this year (needed to go back to work to support my family). I wouldn't have anything to update as far as grades or activities besides doing more of the same medical industry stuff I've been doing the last 12 years.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Got it got it. Good job on the improvement but it's up to the school I guess to interpret that.

I am also working and not really doing much either so I also would like ideas on what to update schools on to show you're interested in them but you really have no update. Haha

A day late and a dollar short but I hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving! :heckyeah: Also, to those new to the thread welcome! :=|:-):

About those updates...I've been thinking about those as well. Especially dislike when interviews ask if there is anything new I'd like to tell the committee. :thinking: Nothing new going on here. I still have a job... Haven't added any new activities or volunteer work (i like what i've got going here already)... no new classes i've already graduated...

A day late and a dollar short but I hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving! :heckyeah: Also, to those new to the thread welcome! :=|:-):

About those updates...I've been thinking about those as well. Especially dislike when interviews ask if there is anything new I'd like to tell the committee. :thinking: Nothing new going on here. I still have a job... Haven't added any new activities or volunteer work (i like what i've got going here already)... no new classes i've already graduated...
Agreed. It's tough to think of something meaningful.

I feel like I shot myself in the foot by sending out updates that weren't personalized to the school. I guess I'll have to do that this month to a few schools I'd like to hear from.

As far as updates go, I'm just going to talk about progress in the activities I have been doing regularly (volunteering, my job). As an example, at the organization where I volunteer, we've branched out into a new area of social services to better serve the people in the community. We brought in new staff and technology to help us implement the changes, so that's been exciting. Stuff like that.

Do any of you have plans on what you'll do if you don't get in this year? I would imagine most of us are just working and need to work. Any thoughts on making drastic changes in job, location or activities to help your application go better next year?

I guess I'm looking for ideas since I'm not sure what else I can do besides up my MCAT score. I have a wife and child so I should continue to work but am definitely open to other options that would help me get accepted! I currently work in medical devices.

I'm currently not doing any volunteer work. Should I be?

I guess I'm looking for ideas since I'm not sure what else I can do besides up my MCAT score. I have a wife and child so I should continue to work but am definitely open to other options that would help me get accepted! I currently work in medical devices.

I would have to say yes to that question.
In my last interview I was asked, "Do you at least volunteer in a hospital?" Not kidding.

Any type of clinical shadowing will add to your application as well.

I would have to say yes to that question.
In my last interview I was asked, "Do you at least volunteer in a hospital?" Not kidding.

Any type of clinical shadowing will add to your application as well.

I currently do clinic care with my job (I work in cardiac devices). I have 1,000 of clinical hours and lots of hours in the OR as well. With knowing that do you still think clinical shadowing is a good idea? Or is there another opportunity I should look into to get outside of what I currently do? Thanks!

That sounds good to me! (Sorry, not really up to date on your app.)

Those are the two biggest weaknesses in my application, so I'm really just projecting. :p

That sounds good to me! (Sorry, not really up to date on your app.)

Those are the two biggest weaknesses in my application, so I'm really just projecting. :p

I'm sure if we all could just take a bit of someone else's application we could create the perfect applicant! Ahhh... it's all such a game! Fingers crossed the right person looks at my application on the right day at the right time!

I think fine tuning the PS and CV can go a long way too. My weakest facets were my MCAT and the structure/wording of my CV so that is where I had planned to focus my attention for re-application but I'm beyond thankful that I don't need to worry about re-application now. Another thing you can't have too much of is non-clinical volunteering; I almost feel like it may be more important than the clinical stuff simply because most clinical volunteering opportunities get to be so shallow, ubiquitous, and cliche.

I currently do clinic care with my job (I work in cardiac devices). I have 1,000 of clinical hours and lots of hours in the OR as well. With knowing that do you still think clinical shadowing is a good idea? Or is there another opportunity I should look into to get outside of what I currently do? Thanks!
I wouldn't bank on the fact that you job is clinical, that every school will interpret it as such. One of my top choices said that my work experience (physically being a hospital with clinicians for hours at a time/overnights) did not count and was more business-y than clinical and rejected me pre-interview. I still did shadowing and hospital volunteering (so maybe those got lost in the shuffle), but I would caution you not to bank on that. I don't want to be Debbie downer, but if that's one thing I would change about my application is to make it less about my job and being clinical and focus on the other aspects of my application.

I'd throw in a non-clinical for sure! It demonstrates your commitment to the community. Doesn't have to be time consuming. At one of my interviews we ended up having a long chat about what the perfect applicant looks like. There's not just one. It's going to be different for everyone they need all types but there are some standards that everybody wants. Below are just a few. Everything doesn't have to be about medicine...i definitely listed all the athletic activities i was previously and am currently involved in like volleyball...running...etc. under one section in work/activities.

1. Non-clinical volunteering was one of them for the reason mentioned
2. Clinical volunteering/shadowing etc... so they know you know something about what you're getting into/interest in the health and well-being of others
3. Hobbies/extra curricular activities...demonstrates socials skills, interests, personality
4. Research...depending on the school but most want to see something
5. Life experiences (grey area)...empathy/compassion/personality/etc. a vague catch all for typing a person
6. Leadership roles

I practiced some interview stuff over break with a cousin who does a bunch of hiring stuff. He helped me craft better stories for some of the stock questions, i.e. conflict with a coworker, how are you different now vs when you graduated, not being self deprecating, etc.

Wish I'd done this before hofstra. I think half that interview with the 2nd interviewer went great and the rest went poorly. So it goes.

I have two MMI's up next, so hopefully I'll get some 'regular' interviews to practice with.
Of course we know that the interviewers' judgment of our "performance" seems to be way different from our own! Hard to gauge. . . but I do think that practice helps. (Gee. Such an original thought!!) :D:D

I'm going to go against the 'rules' and start drafting more pre-interview interest letters for schools I care about. This time, they'll be personalized. Huge mistake I made when I sent update letters in november. I should have personalized atleast the 10 or so I really want to hear back from.

I'm starting to get exhausted from all of this. At least last week was awesome.

I'm going to cry.

I just got a II at Einstein. OMG OMG OMG!

Reactions: 18 users
I'm going to cry.

I just got a II at Einstein. OMG OMG OMG!
Congrats!!!!
greetings.gif

Adding to the II excitement today, I got one at Dartmouth today after weeks of silence! I can't wait!

Reactions: 8 users
When were you complete?

Mid august, but they didn't send complete emails for a long time. So according to their complete email... sometime in sept? Just checked complete email sept 16, a month after submission.

II @ Dartmouth!!

I'm on a conference call and silent screaming my head off.

Reactions: 10 users

I am on the same boat. No IIs yet but I completed late and have low stats (3.3/27)
5 rejections and two pre-interview holds.

My plan B might be to just continue to work (I work in health care company- non clinical) and volunteer (also non medical rn, but will look into volunteering/shadowing again since I just moved states), taking a few extra undergrad courses to boost GPA (biochem, A&P) and definitely retaking MCAT.
My plan C for re-applying is doing a masters program. One of those one year biomedical sciences one. I really DONT WANT TO its more time and effort and money and I am tired and I just wanna get in, but oh well, my grades are bad.

But in the IDEAL world, the right AdCom will look into my app and say WE WANT YOU!!! and I will live happily EVER AFTER

Mid august, but they didn't send complete emails for a long time. So according to their complete email... sometime in sept? Just checked complete email sept 16, a month after submission.

Yeah they do that. I completed in October got the email 11/17

Congrats and great luck!!!