2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Actually, I'm not sure I feel happiness right now.

I'm more enveloped in a tremendous feeling of relief.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
The weight of the world has been lifted, the need to consider reapplying is gone, best feels EVAR! Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe if I hadn't spent the last hour at a tear jerker edition of palliative care rounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the time you wrote that message 17 minutes ago, I had 0 acceptances...

However, I just checked my email and I was just accepted by Albany. I'm so freaking happy.
Wow! Now my wish is reality's command!! :playful: Congratulations!! Hope you get 25 more acceptances, at least!

Reactions: 1 users
At the time you wrote that message 17 minutes ago, I had 0 acceptances...

However, I just checked my email and I was just accepted by Albany. I'm so freaking happy.
WOW! Congratulations!!!!!! Isn't Albany where they were "waitlisting" almost everyone and outright accepting only like 25%? You must have rocked that interview!!! So happy for you

Hello folks,

I got accepted to Albany along with @ridethecliche yesterday. To say I'm stoked is an understatement. Thank you all for your support and for being the best thread on SDN! Couldn't have done it without you!

Reactions: 9 users
Hello folks,

I got accepted to Albany along with @ridethecliche yesterday. To say I'm stoked is an understatement. Thank you all for your support and for being the best thread on SDN! Couldn't have done it without you!
Excellent news!! Congratulations to you!

WOW! Congratulations!!!!!! Isn't Albany where they were "waitlisting" almost everyone and outright accepting only like 25%? You must have rocked that interview!!! So happy for you

I'm not sure about the waitlisting (Under Consideration?) bit, but I will say that I was super honest in my MMI and said certain things that my interviewers disagreed with. I tried to be as honest as possible about my viewpoints and justify them using life experience and being clear when I was talking about my own thoughts about something intellectually vs what I brought to the table. I.e. I might believe something is acceptable while not belonging to that viewpoint at all and explaining why etc.

It was the most fun I've had at an interview till date. Like I was goofing off and laughing with other interviewees during the MMI breaks. It was a blast.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure about the waitlisting (Under Consideration?) bit, but I will say that I was super honest in my MMI and said certain things that my interviewers disagreed with. I tried to be as honest as possible about my viewpoints and justify them using life experience and being clear when I was talking about my own thoughts about something intellectually vs what I brought to the table. I.e. I might believe something is acceptable while not belonging to that viewpoint at all and explaining why etc.

It was the most fun I've had at an interview till date. Like I was goofing off and laughing with other interviewees during the MMI breaks. It was a blast.
Sounds as if you found a comfortable home. . .

Congratulations on the acceptance @kthxbai! I'm so glad you can just let the worry and stress melt away finally!

Just finished my last final as a DIY post-baccer. It's been a wild year and I'm incredibly grateful for all the support and love I've gotten from the students, staff, and faculty I've met at here. Pre-med advisers seem to get some flak here on SDN, but I ran to mine after getting my Vandy acceptance and I think she was more emotional than I was! Had a good hug with everyone in that office.

Best wishes for a peaceful holiday season for everyone!

Reactions: 3 users

My experience with this MMI was different, but I also made my interviewers laugh. Who knows, maybe that's the key to admissions? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else have a pretty rough week?? I got four rejections here this week pre-interview. Not super surprised, but ouch! I guess they're trimming up the fat before the new year...

I got axed from 3.
None were super surprising, but it still doesn't feel good.

I'm really not sure if I'd rather know the sad truth now or hold out hope until the bitter end.

Did anyone else have a pretty rough week?? I got four rejections here this week pre-interview. Not super surprised, but ouch! I guess they're trimming up the fat before the new year...

I got a few but I wasn't even mad. Hoping to get more of the decisions, be they II or rejections today and monday/tues. I want to clean up my school spreadsheet haha.

Got one from Vandy. It was expected since they never asked me for a secondary, so was not much of a surprise or disappointment.

Totally quiet week with the exception of some further contact from schools where I've been accepted. Kinda nice really :)

I haven't heard much since Thanksgiving except one reject after Thanksgiving, and a secondary invite. Should I expect more news before Christmas or in January? I don't know. I am leaning towards not expecting any new news before Christmas but this is not based on prior year data. In my experience the entire country slows down around this time, and not much gets done.

Accepted at my state school today.
YAY!

*SIGH*

:clap:

Reactions: 11 users
Got an II from WashU...after withdrawing my application two weeks ago...o_O

This would certainly make for an interesting interview!

Reactions: 7 users
Great news! I was rejected from 3 schools this week but the week ended with an II from Marian an hour ago! Woo hoo!

Reactions: 6 users
So... are you going to go?

I guess my portal is still active and functioning, so my application was never actually withdrawn. Even though I got a "good luck with your future plans" email when I submitted my withdrawal.

Computer glitch? Clerical error? Divine intervention? The world will never know...I'm going to give the office a call tomorrow to decline.

I guess my portal is still active and functioning, so my application was never actually withdrawn. Even though I got a "good luck with your future plans" email when I submitted my withdrawal.

Computer glitch? Clerical error? Divine intervention? The world will never know...I'm going to give the office a call tomorrow to decline.
Good for you! Tell them consultantmd is there often and would love to swoop in and grab your II. Haha ;)

Reactions: 4 users
I'm starting to get amped for miami.

Uhh, anyone have advice for when to book tickets? I swear to god they were almost 100 less last week. I should grab some tomorrow or wait till the weekend.

Apparently tickets are cheapest 6 weeks before a flight. I totally dropped that ball. Lol. This trip is going to hurt, but be so awesome. I'm going down thurs for a mon-tues interview. Woo sunshine!

I'm starting to get amped for miami.

Uhh, anyone have advice for when to book tickets? I swear to god they were almost 100 less last week. I should grab some tomorrow or wait till the weekend.

Apparently tickets are cheapest 6 weeks before a flight. I totally dropped that ball. Lol. This trip is going to hurt, but be so awesome. I'm going down thurs for a mon-tues interview. Woo sunshine!

Have you looked into jetBlue? They don't fly into Miami, but they do service FLL. Might be a good deal if you have an early January interview. I bet you could get there for ~300 round trip

I know some of you folks were accepted earlier in the cycle. What did you do for the remaining schools once you were in? I'm planning on just waiting, but I'm unlikely to go to any interviews in Chicago or Virginia for instance but figure I might as well let them make the decision for me. Partially due to interview costs, but also sort of due to reputation a little. I feel like I've already received interviews from most of the programs I was interested in.

Still hoping to hear from some Philly schools, northwestern would be a dream, as would Dartmouth. Maybe gw as well. It's so weird that it really doesn't matter anymore.

I'm really liking forward to the next interviews I have all the same as the state school would be huge huge huge.

Have you looked into jetBlue? They don't fly into Miami, but they do service FLL. Might be a good deal if you have an early January interview. I bet you could get there for ~300 round trip

Yup that's what I'm seeing. I'm visiting a friend there anyway and will hang out for a bit first. 300 seems about right, but I could almost swear I saw 190 a week or two ago. Didn't have dates with my friend finalized though. Womp Womp.

I feel like I've missed life on this portal.

I was wondering if anyone is planning on doing special masters program? I must start applying for those. So far I have only gotten pre-II holds and rejections.
Waiting on a few more schools but like, I want to make sure I apply early to Masters Programs.

I feel like I've missed life on this portal.

I was wondering if anyone is planning on doing special masters program? I must start applying for those. So far I have only gotten pre-II holds and rejections.
Waiting on a few more schools but like, I want to make sure I apply early to Masters Programs.

Had you applied to DO programs as well?

From some of your posts, it looks like you were complete in october at many places and your LizzyM is <60. Doing well in an SMP will definitely help you, but you should probably aim to retake the MCAT and score higher if you're hoping for MD schools.

Had you applied to DO programs as well?

From some of your posts, it looks like you were complete in october at many places and your LizzyM is <60. Doing well in an SMP will definitely help you, but you should probably aim to retake the MCAT and score higher if you're hoping for MD schools.

Yes, unfortunately all of the above is true.
I am re-taking MCAT in May, so I can focus on Masters while on Masters.

Why didn't you apply to any DO schools? I think you would have eeked out a few II's.

I did. I applied to 3. Still silence from all 3 No IIs and no rejections.

I think this would be a good time to send them interest letters and update letters if you've had anything notable happen with your app since you applied.

I know some of you folks were accepted earlier in the cycle. What did you do for the remaining schools once you were in? I'm planning on just waiting, but I'm unlikely to go to any interviews in Chicago or Virginia for instance but figure I might as well let them make the decision for me. Partially due to interview costs, but also sort of due to reputation a little. I feel like I've already received interviews from most of the programs I was interested in...

I went ahead and withdrew from a bunch of schools after my recent acceptances. Some of these withdrawals were interview cancellations and others were pre-II. In a perfect world, I would have attended all of these interviews, but I was operating on a budget and had already interviewed at the schools that were highest on my list when filing my primary application. Personally, I found my withdrawal binge to be extremely liberating. Yes, you have paid for the secondaries, but if you don't plan on attending, just spare yourself the angst of being judged.

Consider an 11+5 system. Keep interviewing until you've interviewed at 11 schools (statistically, this will yield 3 choices), no matter what. Have a list of 5 rock star schools that you will interview at no matter what (even if it means going past 11 interviews).

I haven't actually withdrawn from anywhere, but I did shorten my list significantly after getting my first acceptance. That was my strategy in fact, attend everything you can until an acceptance and then start doing triage. Glad I did honestly, I almost decided to skip Minnesota but was really impressed once I got there and now it's on my 2nd look list (assuming I get accepted of course).

Yeah, I think I've heard back from the top programs I have any sort of shot at.

I could interview in Philly on the cheap, so I'd keep those schools. Not sure about Chicago schools since I've never been there, but northwestern is a huge reach. Other potentials would be Case Western, but that would involve more dollars for the flight etc.

At this point with more interviews, I'd be picking between a baller trip this summer or more interviews attended. I guess I could make a budget and call it quits at that point and book interviews into the distance if any pop up.

I honestly wouldn't mind playing the waiting game and let myself be judged. I did 42 secondaries so this would be interesting from an experimental perspective. Ie just to see who would be interested in someone with my history. I plan on serving everything to my pre med advisor at undergrad.

I think my school should maintain a historical database.

I'm happy to see all the acceptances on here, it looks like the nontrads have been really successful this year! :)

These last couple weeks have been rough for me, so I've been trying to stay clear of SDN. I've yet to hear back from my top choice program (interviewed in early October), and was basically told a couple times since then that I'm still being considered. Pretty sure that doesn't mean anything, so I'm trying not to over think it, but the wait is killer. I don't mind waiting 3 months (or many more for that matter) for an acceptance, but waiting so long only to get rejected would be a bummer. The farther I get from the interview, the more I doubt how it went. Last week I saw a flurry of acceptances go out, but alas, I'm in purgatory. I finally put down a deposit at a DO school that I was accepted to, and would honestly be happy to attend, it's only the uncertainty that bothers me. Trying to stay positive, and be grateful for the opportunities that I've had to interview and acceptances I've received...but man it's hard.

Also, anyone else counting down the days until they can quit their day job? If I have to listen to our CEO give one more super long, crazy, rambling conference call about email subject lines...

Reactions: 4 users
I'm happy to see all the acceptances on here, it looks like the nontrads have been really successful this year! :)

These last couple weeks have been rough for me, so I've been trying to stay clear of SDN. I've yet to hear back from my top choice program (interviewed in early October), and was basically told a couple times since then that I'm still being considered. Pretty sure that doesn't mean anything, so I'm trying not to over think it, but the wait is killer. I don't mind waiting 3 months (or many more for that matter) for an acceptance, but waiting so long only to get rejected would be a bummer. The farther I get from the interview, the more I doubt how it went. Last week I saw a flurry of acceptances go out, but alas, I'm in purgatory. I finally put down a deposit at a DO school that I was accepted to, and would honestly be happy to attend, it's only the uncertainty that bothers me. Trying to stay positive, and be grateful for the opportunities that I've had to interview and acceptances I've received...but man it's hard.

Also, anyone else counting down the days until they can quit their day job? If I have to listen to our CEO give one more super long, crazy, rambling conference call about email subject lines...
Pretty much in same boat. Accepted at DO and had to put a $1k deposit (with another $1K due in January) waiting on my #1 choice to get back to me (interviewed first day) some acceptances have gone out but not many. The kicker is there are only 50 total spots with up to 25 reserved for alumni (I'm not an alumni). Super stressed but keeping hope up.

Just think we have a home regardless of the rest of the cycle!

Pretty much in same boat. Accepted at DO and had to put a $1k deposit (with another $1K due in January) waiting on my #1 choice to get back to me (interviewed first day) some acceptances have gone out but not many. The kicker is there are only 50 total spots with up to 25 reserved for alumni (I'm not an alumni). Super stressed but keeping hope up.

Just think we have a home regardless of the rest of the cycle!

Yes, that's what I'm trying to keep in mind! The DO school I was accepted to is pretty close to my bf's family, and I did have a great interview day there, so I would definitely be happy to attend. It was rough shelling out the $1000 bucks, but they were fair enough to give me 2+ months to hear back from my other school before it was due. And it's nothing compared to med school tuition. If I do get accepted into my #1, I'll be happy to forfeit my money though haha. At least the certainty that I have somewhere to go puts my mind at ease, as I know that there are people at this point with no acceptances (I was one of them last year!).

So I'm giving things a rest till after the new year, but there are a few schools I'm still keen to hear back from. Any advice for doing outreach?

Mostly the philly schools (Temple, jeff, drexel) and Tufts. The cost to interview at these places would be supremely manageable and after deciding to blow a bunch of money by enjoying time at miami, I'm going to start being a bit more selective about what I do. I think strich and rosalind franklin would be a wash compared to albany (mostly due to interview cost though I could make it happen), though I'd prefer to be in chicago vs albany. The philly schools would be pretty inexpensive to go to and tufts is around the corner.

I have 3 interviews in jan/feb at places I 'rank' more highly than all the above, so I'm definitely working on getting myself together for them, but it certainly doesn't hurt to prepare and think ahead. I honestly think (fingers crossed!) I'll get something from Jefferson in the next few weeks. They do interview a lot and do give out acceptances later in the cycle as well.

Trying to figure out how to best set myself up to:
a) Rock the three upcoming interviews
b) Get a few more II's from schools that are high on my list.

Any advice?

Was just reminded that I made this account 5 years ago after accepting my position at a consulting firm, not knowing what the **** I was doing with my life and seeing where things would go with the job. Crazy how long ago that was and I'm so thrilled to have 2 acceptances before the end of the year! So much to be thankful for!

Reactions: 12 users
Trying to figure out how to best set myself up to:
a) Rock the three upcoming interviews
b) Get a few more II's from schools that are high on my list.

Any advice?

Very specific and detailed update letters. You've probably noticed that schools like to stress different aspects of themselves during the interview day (or, if pre-II, on their website/mission statement). For some, it's community service. For others, it's curricular innovations. Whatever it is, bring it up in the letter and say why it resonates with you + what you can contribute to it.

I think you should be feeling optimistic about more II's! I bet most adcoms left the office for the holidays with a short stack of applications from which to draw more invitations. Good luck!

Was just reminded that I made this account 5 years ago after accepting my position at a consulting firm, not knowing what the **** I was doing with my life and seeing where things would go with the job. Crazy how long ago that was and I'm so thrilled to have 2 acceptances before the end of the year! So much to be thankful for!

That is awesome to hear! Sounds like you really have a sense of peace now that you know where you are headed. Have a great holiday!

I know some of you folks were accepted earlier in the cycle. What did you do for the remaining schools once you were in? I'm planning on just waiting, but I'm unlikely to go to any interviews in Chicago or Virginia for instance but figure I might as well let them make the decision for me. Partially due to interview costs, but also sort of due to reputation a little. I feel like I've already received interviews from most of the programs I was interested in.

Still hoping to hear from some Philly schools, northwestern would be a dream, as would Dartmouth. Maybe gw as well. It's so weird that it really doesn't matter anymore.

I'm really liking forward to the next interviews I have all the same as the state school would be huge huge huge.

Yup that's what I'm seeing. I'm visiting a friend there anyway and will hang out for a bit first. 300 seems about right, but I could almost swear I saw 190 a week or two ago. Didn't have dates with my friend finalized though. Womp Womp.

Same here. Got 6 offers so far, including one of my top choices (CCLCM). I have II at northwestern, and I'm debating whether or not to invest the time and money. I have taken SO MUCH time off work for II travels. I'm on the verge of declining northwestern's II. Any advice?

Same here. Got 6 offers so far, including one of my top choices (CCLCM). I have II at northwestern, and I'm debating whether or not to invest the time and money. I have taken SO MUCH time off work for II travels. I'm on the verge of declining northwestern's II. Any advice?
Congrats!! If I were you, I'd give it up and mention consultantmd would love the ii! I'm close to Chicago. :)

Last edited:
What do you mean by 6 offers - 6 interview invites or 6 acceptances? If you don't have an acceptance yet, I would recommend going to all interviews until you get one. If you already have one, it may be ok to skip schools that you are absolutely sure you won't attend. Keep in mind that having a tuition lower by a few thousand or a better financial aid can more than pay the interview trip expenses.

What do you mean by 6 offers - 6 interview invites or 6 acceptances? If you don't have an acceptance yet, I would recommend going to all interviews until you get one. If you already have one, it may be ok to skip schools that you are absolutely sure you won't attend. Keep in mind that having a tuition lower by a few thousand or a better financial aid can more than pay the interview trip expenses.
From quick profile stalking, it appears that georgeag did an amazing job at being efficient in applying to the right number of schools and racking up 6 acceptances. Like I said before, you should give your Northwestern II up for someone else!

Background check form is ridiculous. Doesn't work with firefox or chrome. Managed to get it working with safari on a mac. They need ALL addresses and provide only 7 slots...they can't advise on what to do from there on other than to call each school. :rolleyes: