2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Time to trot out the Robert Frost classic: "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood / And sorry I could not travel both / And be one traveler, long I stood / And looked down one as far as I could / To where it bent in the undergrowth. . . / . . . I shall be telling this with a sigh / Somewhere ages and ages hence: / Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- / I took the one less traveled by / And that has made all the difference." Of course, @Overanxious (and some of my other friends here!) has been standing at a really busy intersection of many superhighways! May we all be blessed in our decisions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
haha i hope we can all be friends! I ended up choosing Yale. 2nd best financial aid package so that was a plus!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 3 users
YAY!

It seems like our non-trad contigent did pretty well this year.
I don't know if that's normal or not, but I'm proud of us!

Best to all of you.

YAY!

It seems like our non-trad contigent did pretty well this year.
I don't know if that's normal or not, but I'm proud of us!

Best to all of you.
Definitely!! Go us! Too bad none of us will be at the same place though, I like our group!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Dropped Albany earlier this week and only have Jefferson on my acceptances list.

Just got accepted to UMass off the waitlist though!

Definitely!! Go us! Too bad none of us will be at the same place though, I like our group!
Thanks to the Brave New World of the Internet, we are all in the same (cyber) "space," though. And somehow, @ConsultantMD, I feel as if our friendships here are a prelude to what can develop out in the "real world" for us. This moment in time feels as if it is an ending, but it is really more just a pause before the next beginning!

Reactions: 1 users
Since I have posted everywhere else, I completely forgot to post here. I was accepted to my top choice off the waitlist on Thursday.

Reactions: 17 users
Congrats!

Where might I ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Medical College of Georgia, which has been my top choice for eons. Crazy school waitlisted me three years in a row and now I get to be the first year to access the pretty fancy education building for the full four years. When the acceptance actually came in, I had to resort to gibberish as I could not speak clearly and I am still not 100% sure that I am reading the email correctly.

Reactions: 8 users
Thank you!

Medical College of Georgia, which has been my top choice for eons. Crazy school waitlisted me three years in a row and now I get to be the first year to access the pretty fancy education building for the full four years. When the acceptance actually came in, I had to resort to gibberish as I could not speak clearly and I am still not 100% sure that I am reading the email correctly.
I've been following your saga for years and I am so glad to hear that you've finally achieved your goal. Mazel tov!

Reactions: 12 users
I am hoping that Aero will write his biography some day... it's been quite a saga.
:highfive:

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!

I've been following you as well...motivation for me during my own reapplication cycle. Genuinely so so SO happy for you! We made itttt! I don't know if you believe in God, but timing is EVERYTHING. Things will work out exactly when they're supposed too! :)

Last edited:
Thank you!

@familyaerospace, a thousand congratulations! Or, to translate. . .maazxq ipvbi umoce'v 9!! (I hope I got the gibberish right!) :clap:
:clap::clap::clap::banana::banana::banana::banana::zip:

I've been following your saga for years and I am so glad to hear that you've finally achieved your goal. Mazel tov!

Thank you! I never, ever thought it was going to happen. I remember some people being particularly discouraging in the reapplicants thread. Apparently MCG wasn't completely lying to me when they said what they did! There was one guy who got in only after 8 applications (7 waitlists)! He literally knew the entire admissions committee!

I am hoping that Aero will write his biography some day... it's been quite a saga.

Already have draft one which I wrote for Nanowrimo on the request of my rabbi who refused to study with me until it was written. Admittedly, now I have either another book to write or at least a few chapters to add! I want to write one just about the medical school journey as how many people do you know start off as a medical phobe and end as a doctor? :) Can you imagine how many people that book might help? :)

I've been following you as well...motivation for me during my own reapplication cycle. Genuinely so so SO happy for you! We made itttt! I don't know if you believe in God, but timing is EVERYTHING. Things will work out exactly when they're supposed too! :)

Mazel tov to you as well!

Accepted at Temple off waitlist on Friday night. Best surprise ever - will be attending!

Of course, this is small news compared to the fairytale conclusion of @familyaerospace's story! So so happy to see that you're one step closer to achieving your goals. FWIW I know a guy who applied for six years in a row only to finally be accepted. Shows anything can happen with enough determination!

Dropped Albany earlier this week and only have Jefferson on my acceptances list.

Just got accepted to UMass off the waitlist though!

Dropped Albany too and then got accepted to Temple! WHEEEEEE! Will be attending!

Congrats on UMass - the IS tuition must be amazing.

Dropped Albany too and then got accepted to Temple! WHEEEEEE! Will be attending!

Congrats on UMass - the IS tuition must be amazing.

UMass only have IS tuition because they don't take OOS applicants. I'm waiting for the finaid package but unsure how I will do things because Jeff was my favorite post interview. If jeff can sweeten the deal vs UMass, I'd be much happier. I can't see myself being as happy in Worcester vs Philly. I'm also honestly not convinced that the dating pool out there would be any better than boston's, i.e. it's probably worse for me in Worcester.

I'm kind of over MA for now to be honest.

Hilariously, it seems likely-ish that you'll be able to deliver that bottle of scotch in person this summer.

UMass only have IS tuition because they don't take OOS applicants. I'm waiting for the finaid package but unsure how I will do things because Jeff was my favorite post interview. If jeff can sweeten the deal vs UMass, I'd be much happier. I can't see myself being as happy in Worcester vs Philly. I'm also honestly not convinced that the dating pool out there would be any better than boston's, i.e. it's probably worse for me in Worcester.

I'm kind of over MA for now to be honest.

Hilariously, it seems likely-ish that you'll be able to deliver that bottle of scotch in person this summer.
More than likely-ish. We'll practically be neighbors.

More than likely-ish. We'll practically be neighbors.
Accepted to Jeff off WL, told I am at the bottom of WL for UMD, so I'll 95% be in Philly in August. I submit that we all timeshare a bottle of nice whiskey for the fall semester.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted. Will be in my early 30s when I start, after about a 5 year journey from post-bac classes to acceptance for this fall.

:horns::horns: It's never too late. :horns::horns:

You did it!!!! Since I became a member I've followed you. Congrats!!

Accepted to Jeff off WL, told I am at the bottom of WL for UMD, so I'll 95% be in Philly in August. I submit that we all timeshare a bottle of nice whiskey for the fall semester.

Such a large philly contingent from SDN this year!

I don't know if you believe in God, but timing is EVERYTHING.

Thank you, and yes, I know. I've spent the past few years in an Orthodox (Jewish) yeshiva.

G-d and I have had a few very "discussions" and "negotiations" over the past few holidays. Can't tell you how many letters I sent to the Western Wall inquiring about this whole medical school thing. Even this one seemed to come with another obligation, but I am ok with that obligation. I think I just nagged G-d into giving me what I wanted. LOL!

There is a Jewish custom that on Shavuot, if you go out at midnight, the heavens open and it's clear that someone is listening and is much easier to get attention.

First time on the waitlist, I was held out a hope but I sensed I had to wait for my obligations to my roommates to be over. In all fairness if I had gotten in, I wouldn't have been able to function if I had. As I told Goro and a few others, I was assaulted and that was right after the second round, my arm did not become fully functional again for another 6 months.

The next Shavuot (2nd waitlist on 2 schools) all I said was "Well?" I was mad. No answer for that.

This Shavuot, outside of "thank you," I have no idea what to say! I literally hit rock bottom last November. Maybe I needed to do that to get what I wanted.

Of course, this is small news compared to the fairytale conclusion of @familyaerospace's story! So so happy to see that you're one step closer to achieving your goals. FWIW I know a guy who applied for six years in a row only to finally be accepted. Shows anything can happen with enough determination!

First Congratulations to you!

Thank you! MCG students said they had one person apply 8 times. 7 times on the waitlist. I was 100% convinced MCG was lying to me when I spoke to them last year and they said 6 times was not unusual. When the students confirmed they had a 8 time applicant, I just could not believe it.

I just came back from lunch where I am a regular and I said as I was leaving I will be sure to come back before I move. They asked where when I was checking out, I told them I was accepted to med school. The owner sent one of the waitresses over (a pre-med whose top choice is also MCG) who had really bad guidance so we chatted. I told her I had to apply 4 times to get in. She isn't on sdn so I gave her my business card and I said I was going to help her with all her questions and her application. It was great timing. I will spare her SDN, I think she would be eaten up alive here! At this point, maybe I should go into medical school application consulting. ;)

It is that time of the year again! AMCAS 2015 opened today and we can all start writing essays, entering grades and all other sorts of tediously exciting activities. So, who is applying this year? Are you gals and guys ready? Are you going to leave everything for the last moment (like I did last year)? Can't wait to hear from you. :) And best of luck, of course!

I won't be applying this year since I have trouble getting good scores on the MCAT. I was in the military for a very long time and now that I am out I am trying to pick up the pieces and try medical school. I took the online tutorials from Kaplan but I was only able to inch a score by one point. My dilemma is that I have over 20 year biomedical engineering bachelor and masters transcripts and I am getting doors slammed in my face for support. (I just got slammed in the face for a postbac?) I hate to do it, but it looks like I will need to get a whole new bachelors degree to even apply. Is this the route I need to take? I find when you tell people your desire as an older person, you get puzzled looks and discouraging talks. Help.

I won't be applying this year since I have trouble getting good scores on the MCAT. I was in the military for a very long time and now that I am out I am trying to pick up the pieces and try medical school. I took the online tutorials from Kaplan but I was only able to inch a score by one point. My dilemma is that I have over 20 year biomedical engineering bachelor and masters transcripts and I am getting doors slammed in my face for support. (I just got slammed in the face for a postbac?) I hate to do it, but it looks like I will need to get a whole new bachelors degree to even apply. Is this the route I need to take? I find when you tell people your desire as an older person, you get puzzled looks and discouraging talks. Help.

New Bac? Yes, especially after a 20 y/o biomedeng degree. Usually the basic classes are good for 5 years, but this depends on each school. Best route to go would be to get a new bac and this will do two things, it will give you current knowledge and also give a big boost to your MCAT. Since you have not taken classes recently, this may be a large reason for the poor MCAT.

So, it all starts with a new bac. Lots of post-bac programs to go around, or if you are not getting support then create your own at your local university. (This is what I did, not a formal post-bac program.) Hard to slam doors on a person who goes out and attends classes and earns a high GPA. Have fun; Good luck!

My dilemma is that I have over 20 year biomedical engineering bachelor and masters transcripts and I am getting doors slammed in my face for support. (I just got slammed in the face for a postbac?) I hate to do it, but it looks like I will need to get a whole new bachelors degree to even apply. Is this the route I need to take? I find when you tell people your desire as an older person, you get puzzled looks and discouraging talks. Help.

I had doors slammed in my face for a decent post bac as well and my transcripts were more recent than yours. I had to do a community college and work it out that way. Some type of special masters program might be the way to go as well.

New Bac? Yes, especially after a 20 y/o biomedeng degree. Usually the basic classes are good for 5 years, but this depends on each school. Best route to go would be to get a new bac and this will do two things, it will give you current knowledge and also give a big boost to your MCAT. Since you have not taken classes recently, this may be a large reason for the poor MCAT.

So, it all starts with a new bac. Lots of post-bac programs to go around, or if you are not getting support then create your own at your local university. (This is what I did, not a formal post-bac program.) Hard to slam doors on a person who goes out and attends classes and earns a high GPA. Have fun; Good luck!

I graduated 5 years ago and took some pre-recs my frosh year, which started 9 years ago. I had no issues with classes. 20 years is far too long though and it makes sense that you're going to have to take more current classes.

@helpneeded4real , you might be able to do a piecemeal post bacc at a local CC or undergrad depending on where you live, i.e. pick and choose classes instead of doing an entire bachelors degree.

I graduated 5 years ago and took some pre-recs my frosh year, which started 9 years ago. I had no issues with classes. 20 years is far too long though and it makes sense that you're going to have to take more current classes.

I graduated 10 years ago and a couple of prerequisites were in 2001 (14 years ago).

That said, they were the most basic prereqs, organic chemistry was much more recent.

All of my pre-reqs were complete in 1997-2002...so 13-18 years ago.
The only schools that had hard time requirements were Brown and Duke.
Everyone else was fine with it.

It probably helped that I got a MSPH in 2007 and did well on the MCAT in 2014, but nobody flat out rejected my pre-reqs on age alone.

All of my pre-reqs were complete in 1997-2002...so 13-18 years ago.
The only schools that had hard time requirements were Brown and Duke.
Everyone else was fine with it.

It probably helped that I got a MSPH in 2007 and did well on the MCAT in 2014, but nobody flat out rejected my pre-reqs on age alone.
Yeah I was ambiguous about mine as well and I finished a masters in 2013 and did well on the MCAT, but I didn't have any age issues for pre-reqs come up either.

Yeah I was ambiguous about mine as well and I finished a masters in 2013 and did well on the MCAT, but I didn't have any age issues for pre-reqs come up either.

+3 for old pre-reqs, masters, good MCAT and no issues coming up with age of pre-reqs.

That moment when you had your heart set to go somewhere and the school you get pulled off the WL for offers you 30k a year more in aid.

Accepted this morning to my fave! I want to do primary practice for rural and underserved and my school is among the top ten in the nation for that. I'm over the moon!

Accepted this morning to my fave! I want to do primary practice for rural and underserved and my school is among the top ten in the nation for that. I'm over the moon!
The rural and underserved are getting a treasure, @Tintinnabula. You come on back from the moon, now. You are seriously needed here on Planet Earth!

Acceptance! I am doing a program that splits my first year in half but who cares?! I'm in!

Going to Jefferson in 8 weeks! So excited!!!

So, I'm pretty much in love with CWRU, but got off the Pitt WL today. I have no idea what to do, and I feel inexplicably sad. Waiting for financial aid now. Any wise words?

So, I'm pretty much in love with CWRU, but got off the Pitt WL today. I have no idea what to do, and I feel inexplicably sad. Waiting for financial aid now. Any wise words?
I think its a mixture of cost, location, and prestige. Where each category is weighed differently based on your long term goals. Do you plan on doing primary care? If so, favor cost and location. Do you want to be an ortho surgeon? Favor prestige. In the end you are going to be a doctor at either of these great schools and there is no wrong choice! :)

Congrats!! That's amazing! I have worked in both cities and I think I like Pittsburgh a lot more than Cleveland. UPMC is a powerhouse hospital system, so that's something to consider as well. But yeah wait to see how that $$ turns out and that'll be more clear!

Congratulations, @GameOfBones! Love is important. . . but my folksy great-grandma used to counsel me that "It's just as easy to love a rich man as to love a poor one. Easier!" You won't have much time to make a decision, I know. There's been some movement at Case (I follow the thread and have friends accepted), but financial aid this cycle has been particularly dismal. I am not sure how politically correct it would be to call and CWRU and ask for a realistic assessment of your chances of better aid--nor can I guess whether any info would be yielded--but I would give that a try if your love is deep and true but money matters. You were accepted outright to Case, correct? Are you drawn to Pitt or influenced by rankings or unique opportunities? Tough choice!

Good news is there is no wrong choice.

I have heard first hand accounts of successful financial aid negotiation from both med and law students, can't hurt to try...

Nontrad professor hoping to start next fall and all of your posts about acceptances are so inspiring! Congratulations!!!

I passed up MD/PhD spots years ago to just do the PhD and now I'm in the process of retaking the new beastly MCAT since my scores are too old. I've been following this thread to get an idea of what I'm in for . Congrats to all of you!!!

Nontrad professor hoping to start next fall and all of your posts about acceptances are so inspiring! Congratulations!!!

I passed up MD/PhD spots years ago to just do the PhD and now I'm in the process of retaking the new beastly MCAT since my scores are too old. I've been following this thread to get an idea of what I'm in for . Congrats to all of you!!!
Good luck!