***2015 OMFS Match / Internship Results***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted547631

Scrub a dub dub.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Good luck! Excited to see how the NBME scores fare this year. (Hoping people will include their scores)

Members don't see this ad :)
Please include NBME scores. Good luck to all..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Who matched at UTMB galveston?

'

Last edited:
Program Matched (or Interning at): MedStar/Washington Hospital Center
Dental School Attended: Columbia University
Year of Graduation: 2015
International Student (yes/no): no
NBME score: 72
Class Ranking: don't know, not top 10 tho
Match/Non-Match: MATCH!
Externship(s)/where: Emory, Nova SE, WHC
Research: 2 presentations at AAOMS conference
Extracurriculars: lots - whatever I feel like doing that day lol
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 17/7/6/6

Can someone please post the unmatched/ open position in OMFS?

Program Matched (or Interning at): University of Louisville
Dental School Attended: University of Louisville
International Student (yes/no): No
NBME score: 65
Class Ranking: 2/120
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: Emory (1 week), San Antonio (2 weeks), Louisville (3 weeks), Shreveport (1 week)
Research: 2 poster presentations during dental school
Extracurriculars: Tons of random stuff
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 23/18/12/11

A lot of great programs out there that went unmatched.......

ALABAMA
↑ Back to top

UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY
SDB 419
1919 7TH AVENUE SOUTH
BIRMINGHAM AL 35294-0007
Telephone: (205) 934-3669
Director: PATRICK J LOUIS DDS MD
Program: OMS-6 YR-MD REQD
Code: 1011 Openings: 2
↑ Back to top

LOMA LINDA UNIVERSITY
DEPT. ORAL & MAXILLOFACIAL SURG.
SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY
LOMA LINDA CA 92350
Telephone: (909) 558-4671
Director: ALAN S. HERFORD, DDS, MD
Code: 1022 Openings: 1
↑ Back to top

JACKSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
DEPT. ORAL & MAXILLOFACIAL SURG
1611 N.W. 12TH AVENUE.
ACC EAST, 2ND FLOOR, ROOM 234
MIAMI FL 33136-1096
Telephone: (305) 585-5326
Director: YOH SAWATARI
Program: OMS-4 YR-MD OPTNL
Code: 1701 Openings: 1
↑ Back to top

BOSTON UNIVERSITY-GOLDMAN SCHOOL
OF DENTAL MEDICINE
ROOM G-407
100 EAST NEWTON STREET
BOSTON MA 02118
Telephone: (617) 414-7558
Director: DR. ANDREW SALAMA
Program: OMS-4 YR
Code: 1241 Openings: 1
↑ Back to top

UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
ORAL & MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERY
1515 E. HOSPITAL DRIVE
ANN ARBOR MI 48109-5222
Telephone: (734) 232-6048
Director: SEAN P. EDWARDS, DDS, MD
Code: 1272 Openings: 2
↑ Back to top

LONG ISLAND JEWISH MEDICAL CTR
DEPT. OF ORAL AND MAX.FAC. SURG.
270-05 76TH AVENUE
NEW HYDE PARK NY 11040
Telephone: (718) 470-7113
Director: MICHAEL E. LESSIN, DDS
Code: 1921 Openings: 1

HARLEM HOSPITAL CENTER
DEPARTMENT OF DENTISTRY/OMFS
506 LENOX AVENUE-WP 204
NEW YORK NY 10037
Telephone: (212) 939-2882
Director: JAMES R KING DDS
Program: OMS-4 YR
Code: 1931 Openings: 1

Reactions: 4 users
First off, I want to say congrats to all those who matched! Secondly, for those who did not, there are some great programs that have multiple spots open and I wish you all the best in locking those up or getting in next time around. Stay with it and get it next year

Program Matched : Baylor 6-Yr OMFS :clap:
Dental School Attending: UCLA
Year of Graduation: 2015 (hopefully)
International Student (yes/no): Nah
NBME score: 78
Class Ranking: We don't play that game
Match/Non-Match: MATCH
Externship(s)/where: UW (1 week), USC (1 week), UoP/Highland (1 week), OHSU (1 week), Emory (2 weeks), Parkland (2 weeks); 8 weeks total
Research: Some
Extracurriculars: Balled pretty hard with soccer, basketball, and with some other stuff here and there
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 22/21/14/14

Super excited about my new program!! Ranked it #1...... Any word on who my co-resident is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, first off, I just want to congratulate everyone who matched. I would like to share my experience with those who are still in the application process.

NBME score: 82 (first score) 95 (retake)
Class Ranking: 1
Externship(s)/where: MGH 2 weeks + additional 2 weeks, UCLA 2 weeks, UCSF 1 week, Emory 2 weeks
Research: 2 AAOMS presentations and counting
Extracurriculars: Too many things to put here
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 10/10/5/3

I took the NBME after my first year of dental school. It is totally doable if you have the right study materials. I memorized first-aid, got high 80's in both UWORLD and Kaplan Qbanks, I got 82 first time around, but I did not feel comfortable applying with such a score. I studied another 6 weeks, focusing mostly on the DSM IV for psych, which really helped. If you would like a more detailed breakdown of my study strategies, feel free to pm me.

During externships, make sure you avoid being put in any situations that might make you look bad. Even if you make mistakes, don't admit them.

For applications, I would strongly recommend getting recommendation letters from your externship program directors. It would be hard for them to say no to their own letters ;)

During my interviews, I found the best way to show confidence was by asking my interviewers why I was the best candidate. It is a bold move, but it paid off in the end.

That's all I can think of for now, see you all at AAOMS!

Last edited:
So
Hi everyone, first off, I just want to congratulate everyone who matched. I would like to share my experience with those who are still in the application process.

NBME score: 82 (first score) 95 (retake)
Class Ranking: 1
Externship(s)/where: MGH 2 weeks + additional 2 weeks, UCLA 2 weeks, UCSF 1 week, Emory 2 weeks
Research: 2 AAOMS presentations and counting
Extracurriculars: Too many things to put here
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 10/10/5/3

I took the NBME after my first year of dental school. It is totally doable if you have the right study materials. I memorized first-aid, got high 80's in both UWORLD and Kaplan Qbanks, I got 82 first time around, but I did not feel comfortable applying with such a score. I studied another 6 weeks, focusing mostly on the DSM IV for psych, which really helped. If you would like a more detailed breakdown of my study strategies, feel free to pm me.

During externships, make sure you avoid being put in any situations that might make you look bad. Even if you make mistakes, don't admit them.

For applications, I would strongly recommend getting recommendation letters from your externship program directors. It would be hard for them to say no to their own letters ;)

During my interviews, I found the best way to show confidence was by asking my interviewers why I was the best candidate. It is a bold move, but it paid off in the end.

That's all I can think of for now, see you all at AAOMS!

So where did you match at?

The username tells me we shouldn't feed the troll.

Yeah the above advice is what not to do and how not to be on externships and interviews.
Retake after 82 and using DSM IV? Clown.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah... Also, they said they took exam after 1st year, but post history shows they took NBME in 2013 and they mentioned in that post that they reviewed year 1 and year 2 notes.

***Disclaimer-- I'm doing anything and everything I can to procrastinate studying so I have too much time to get into this stuff

Congrats to everyone who matched! I wasn't going to post, but wanted to give those who didn't break 70 some hope, and best of luck with everything in the future

Program Matched (or Interning at): UNC
Dental School Attended: Pitt
NBME score: 66
Class Ranking: 19/80
Externship(s)/where: Pitt (1 week), LSU-Shreveport (1 week), Emory (1 week), Baylor (2 weeks), Cook County (3 weeks), Allegheny General (2 weeks)
Research: 3 poster presentations at conferences
Extracurriculars: started a club and was a member of a few others
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 25/15/9/9

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats everyone! All that hard work paid off in the end.
A lot of people at my school didn't break 70s either and they all matched.
That's good because they all have crazy work ethics but our school schedule just doesn't allow us to sit down and study for this immense amount of information. I'm glad that their work ethics still showed through their application.

Program Matched (or Interning at): University of Washington (6-Year Required)
Dental School Attended: University of Washington
NBME score: 62
Class Ranking: 23/68
Externship(s)/where: University of Washington (1-week), Boston University (1-week), Loma Linda (1-week)
Research: Manuscript Accepted. 2-years OMFS research. 2-years Dental Public Health research. Presented at AAOMS. Competed in Research Day.
Extracurriculars: Dental class leadership, student council leadership, and 1000+ hours of outreach during dental school
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 25/8/6/6

Reactions: 2 users
Would love to see some more of the sub 65 guys post on where they matched. So far we have 1 and he/she matched to their home program.

Congrats to everyone so far.

Congrats to everyone who matched! I wasn't going to post, but wanted to give those who didn't break 70 some hope, and best of luck with everything in the future

Externship(s)/where: Pitt (1 week), LSU-Shreveport (1 week), Emory (1 week), Baylor (2 weeks), Cook County (3 weeks), Allegheny General (2 weeks)
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 25/15/9/9

Congrats man! Ill see you in July. Let me know if you have any questions about Chapel Hill or anything.

Two of my upperclassmen matched at UNC. Both are great people so I think you will be in good company!

Congratulations to all those who matched. Well deserved and earned. Get ready for some fun starting July.

Out of curiosity, and I'm sure many people are interested as well - those that post matched to the positions, what were your stats?

Anyone have any word as to why such great programs are going unmatched for 2 spots!?

Anyone have any word as to why such great programs are going unmatched for 2 spots!?
The easiest way to go unmatched is to have a very short rank list sent to MATCH. Being too selective may just come back to bite you. I know a few people with awesome stats and high 70s NBME scores that were not interviewed at a couple of the big name programs on the unmatched programs list (btw- those people matched elsewhere). Bottom line- s*** happens!

Program Matched (or Interning at): Somewhere in the east coast
Dental School Attended: Somewhere in the east coast
NBME score: High 60's
Class Ranking: Top 15%
Externship(s)/where: Total 8 weeks spent
Research:
Minimal
Extracurriculars: MInimal
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 20+/14/12

Congrats to everyone who matched this year. Fingers crossed for people who did not match and gl on post matching. Cheers.

Pretty much candidates are hogging interviews. This may be somewhat of an exaggeration but to simplify things here’s a scenario…let’s say there are 5 OMFS programs each with 2 residency spots; this would give us a total of 10 residency spots available. Typically programs invite 3 times the amount of candidates for the number of residency spots they have. So therefore, each of these programs would invite a total of 6 candidates for their 2 residency spots. Where the error occurs is the 6 candidates that interview for one program will each have interviews at the other 4 programs also. So if there only a total 6 candidates interviewing for the same 5 programs, this will result in 6 residency spots being filled out of the 10 spots available, leaving 4 spots unmatched. This happens every year. On the interview trail, there is typically a group OMFS candidates with 10 interviews each and they all have it at the same places. That’s why, there are always unmatched positions.

Pretty much candidates are hogging interviews. This may be somewhat of an exaggeration but to simplify things here’s a scenario…let’s say there are 5 OMFS programs each with 2 residency spots; this would give us a total of 10 residency spots available. Typically programs invite 3 times the amount of candidates for the number of residency spots they have. So therefore, each of these programs would invite a total of 6 candidates for their 2 residency spots. Where the error occurs is the 6 candidates that interview for one program will each have interviews at the other 4 programs also. So if there only a total 6 candidates interviewing for the same 5 programs, this will result in 6 residency spots being filled out of the 10 spots available, leaving 4 spots unmatched. This happens every year. On the interview trail, there is typically a group OMFS candidates with 10 interviews each and they all have it at the same places. That’s why, there are always unmatched positions.

Your argument is overly simplistic. The primary reason a program goes unmatched (or a candidate for that matter) has nothing to do with candidates hoarding interviews (let's stop blaming top candidates) but a lot to do with the length of the rank list (both for programs and candidates). Please refer to recent MATCH statistics https://www.natmatch.com/dentres/stats/2015progstats.html - here, you'll see that the average number of ranks submitted per position for unmatched programs is 3.5, less than half the average submitted by programs that matched all positions (7.4). With my experience on the interview trail this year the best odds in terms of interviewees:spots/positions ratio was 6:1 and the worst was 17:1 (both are far worse than your proffered 3:1 ratio). However, my guess is as good as anyone's that programs most likely do not rank all their interviewees. I would say maybe 10-20% are considered unacceptable after the interview and are not ranked which means a very selective program would still have 4-5 candidates to rank per position.

The whole candidates hoarding acceptances was the problem the MATCH was designed to solve. The only problem (albeit also it's greatest advantage) is that everything happens instantaneously. If there was no MATCH any program can afford to keep making offers of acceptances until all positions were filled. Invariably, more prestigious programs (or programs with a high appeal to applicants for reasons other than prestige e.g. location, lifestyle etc) will fill up first. But with the MATCH process all that sorting and ranking is taken care of in the blink of an eye. Which means if a program does not put forward a long enough list of applicants it can see itself working with (or in the case of an applicant- a long enough list of programs s/he can work with) it may just be handed a rude awakening. In this nightmarish scenario such a program might have to start fishing for candidates that it would never have considered to interview on a good day. Moral of the story- as long as you are not willing to leave positions unfilled you should submit a long enough list.

In my humble opinion I feel that the MATCH process greatly benefits the bottom 10-15% of programs, doesn't change much for the middle 70-80% of programs, and disadvantages the top 10-15% of programs. A coordinated process of acceptances and rejections might leave zero unmatched positions over 3-4 reiterations- only possible down side will be more paper work. Here is how I envision it to work: all programs send out acceptances to their positions on day 1 of week 1 (also iteration 1), by end of the week the candidates with acceptances must make a choice. Rejected positions are offered in iteration 2 to other candidates. A candidate who accepts an offer in iteration 1 who now gets a more prestigious offer in iteration 2 will be allowed to decline the first acceptance and take the newer offer. This continues until there are no more unfilled positions and final results can then be locked in. At any point during the process a candidate can be allowed to lock in their choice, this just means the candidate has indicated to the MATCH process that any new offer that comes his/her way can be automatically declined.

Loma Linda University Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Research Fellowship position available.

It is not an internship per say, but you get involved with research and can do clinical stuff on the side.

Send application to either [email protected] or [email protected]

Loma Linda University Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Research Fellowship position available.

It is not an internship per say, but you get involved with research and can do clinical stuff on the side.

Send application to either [email protected] or [email protected]

Correct me if I'm wrong...but it's probably worth mentioning that the guy who did this last year is a first year at Parkland right now.

I thought parkland doesn't take interns

Yeah, one of the current first years was a former intern. He did a ton of research and had solid board scores. Parkland also interviewed two interns this cycle - both seemed like strong candidates. What they don't do is interview and accept their own interns.

Wonder if LSU ever take their own interns. They seem to have a lot of interns. Would be nice to know what other programs accept interns.

If anyone interested, there is an immediate opening for internship position at UMMC as of 9/10/15.