2015 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for those who went thru the OnBoarding process:
- Did you only submit forms that says "Submit Now"?
- Once you submitted all forms including the OF-306, did you do anything else?
I'm kinda confused on how do they know if we accept the offer? (unless it's the OF-306 form then in that case, nvm...)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm kinda confused on how do they know if we accept the offer? (unless it's the OF-306 form then in that case, nvm...)
The only form I submitted so far was the OF-306. I think they suggest waiting till after orientation to submit benefits documents. I'm assuming they know we accepted by replying to that initial email and submitting the OF-306 form. I don't think they would give us access to the onboarding system if we weren't accepting the offer.

Has anyone's offer letter contained a statement that the position can lead to a permanent position depending on performance? I was surprised to see this, and wonder if this indicates the PHAP position is located at a regional CDC office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone's offer letter contained a statement that the position can lead to a permanent position depending on performance? I was surprised to see this, and wonder if this indicates the PHAP position is located at a regional CDC office.
A decent number of PHAPs are offered positions after the program, but it is open to all regardless of host site.

For everyone: many host sites apply and receive associates year after year, it's possible you can estimate your host site or program area by looking at what previous associates did in the city you have been placed: http://www.cdc.gov/phap/meet_associates/assignments.html

Reactions: 1 user
I was just told the city. They said more info will be provided after orientation has taken place. I wish i knew more.

2014 PHAP here- Basically since you guys have been offered a "tentative" position they shouldn't generally tell you what you're doing until you guys pass the background check and security. That's what happened with me and my class last year. They don't want you guys contacting with your host sites just yet because nothing is official.

Does anyone know the exact date we will start workiy? Do we all start at the same time?

2014 PHAP here- Basically since you guys have been offered a "tentative" position they shouldn't generally tell you what you're doing until you guys pass the background check and security. That's what happened with me and my class last year. They don't want you guys contacting with your host sites just yet because nothing is official.

Do you guys typically work a 40 hr work week? And get Federal holidays off? Does it feel like a real job or a fellowship? Thanks for any insight

Do you guys typically work a 40 hr work week? And get Federal holidays off? Does it feel like a real job or a fellowship? Thanks for any insight

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/snow-dismissal-procedures/federal-holidays/#url=2015

That link shows all the fed holidays we off I also have some days off at my host site and I usually telework from home for those days. It is a full time job, however we are in a federal workforce development program. We work 40 hour work weeks but the training program doesn't always grant us the same opportunities as full time CDC employees. For example- you guys will most likely not be able to volunteer for Ebola response just yet nor will you guys be fully vested if you decide to open a TSP account (which is similar to a 401K). All of this will be explained in your orientation- just be patient and pay attention to deadlines :)

Received an offer for Nashville, Tennessee yesterday!

Reactions: 1 users
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/snow-dismissal-procedures/federal-holidays/#url=2015

That link shows all the fed holidays we off I also have some days off at my host site and I usually telework from home for those days. It is a full time job, however we are in a federal workforce development program. We work 40 hour work weeks but the training program doesn't always grant us the same opportunities as full time CDC employees. For example- you guys will most likely not be able to volunteer for Ebola response just yet nor will you guys be fully vested if you decide to open a TSP account (which is similar to a 401K). All of this will be explained in your orientation- just be patient and pay attention to deadlines :)

Thanks, do you feel like your learning more information about the Public Health field? How has your experience been so far....worth it?

Thanks, do you feel like your learning more information about the Public Health field? How has your experience been so far....worth it?

Definitely worth it! I do a lot of data related work for my host site and I had no data background- and getting the experience to see how host sites operate with managing budgets and policy changes which I also had zero experience in has a been a great learning opportunity. I don't have my masters and came straight out of college with my bachelors so I'm pretty excited to learn new things. I highly recommend that everyone understands how our healthcare system is working and the details of the Affordable Care Act. It will definitely help you at your host sites! Plus it never hurts to work on your Excel skills :)

2014 PHAP in New York here.

First, congratulations on everyone who has received an offer! To those who are still waiting, be patient. Last year it took a WHILE for everyone to get their offers.

Second, our fellowship is basically like a real job. Everyone's experiences are different, but we all work a 40 hour week, with federal holidays off, and full benefits. The skill set you'll need for your host site can be drastically different than someone else.

Last, if anyone gets placed in New York, feel free to reach out to me. Remember that you don't have to live in the burrough that you work in (I'm pretty sure none of us who work in Queens actually live here). But the choice is yours!

Hi! I got placed in Great River (Islip) NY, which is on Long Island! Is anyone else near the area/ anyone in the NY City area interested in living on the island?

Congrats to everyone so far!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an incoming 2015 PHAP for Richmond, VA. I currently live in Atlanta and just completed my MPH and CHES here in May. If anyone gets placed here and have questions about the city or my Master's program, feel free to respond or message me! Congrats to all!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I got placed in Great River (Islip) NY, which is on Long Island! Is anyone else near the area/ anyone in the NY City area interested in living on the island?

Congrats to everyone so far!
Sounds like it might be with Suffolk County DoH! The Public Health Nurses I've met from there were very nice! But you are waaaayyy out on the island.

I've accepted the offer for the 2015 PHAP in Philly. Are there any current associates in the area or has anyone else been offered a position there? Let's connect! :)

I am done with all the forms but there are only few we can submit as of right now. The rest you can't submit now, we will do after orientation.
Reply the tentative offer letter. That way they will know you accepted the offer.

For those who accepted the offer.

Have you heard back from the HR? Did they say anything regarding the acceptance or clearance?

FINALLY, just got the call. I will be going to Sarasota Florida

Reactions: 5 users
For those who accepted the offer.

Have you heard back from the HR? Did they say anything regarding the acceptance or clearance?
I heard back from HR about a week after I accepted the offer. She was emailing to confirm my acceptance and that she received my transcripts. I also had sent an email previously to confirm that she received both.

I heard back from HR about a week after I accepted the offer. She was emailing to confirm my acceptance and that she received my transcripts. I also had sent an email previously to confirm that she received both.
did you email or mail transcript?

did you email or mail transcript?
I emailed it to my HR person. My university has an option for e-transcripts so I did that because I thought it would be the quickest way to get it to them.

I emailed it to my HR person. My university has an option for e-transcripts so I did that because I thought it would be the quickest way to get it to them.
Thanks, I mailed it to the address they gave us but to be on the safe side I just shoot an email with the transcript as well.

Have you heard back from the security clearance? I read that they will send us to fingure prints.

Thanks, I mailed it to the address they gave us but to be on the safe side I just shoot an email with the transcript as well.

Have you heard back from the security clearance? I read that they will send us to finger prints.

Have you heard back from the security clearance? I read that they will send us to fingure prints.
No problem! I haven't heard anything about the security clearance yet. But I was an intern at CDC recently so I'm not sure if I will have to go through that process again or if they will contact me about it.

Transcript mailed and few forms submitted. I do not see any background check information/fingerprint. Patiently wait for next instruction.

Thanks to the current PHAPs for sharing your experiences. Can any current PHAPs actually talk about what they maybe don't like so much about PHAP? Understandable if you dont want to broadcast but can someone dm me or something. I'm sure the program isn't all roses and rainbows.

Accepeted an offer last night in Lima, Ohio! If anyone else gets placed there let me know :)

How did
The only form I submitted so far was the OF-306. I think they suggest waiting till after orientation to submit benefits documents. I'm assuming they know we accepted by replying to that initial email and submitting the OF-306 form. I don't think they would give us access to the onboarding system if we weren't accepting the offer.

How did you submit for OF-306? Was it attached to your email? I can not find it.

My OF-306 form is due on the 19th, but I still have not gotten my 2nd e-mail. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Hi all,

Congratulations to everyone who got an official offer!! Exciting right?! First time poster here! I was offered a position this morning located in Philadelphia! If anyone got an offer in the Philly area let's connect!! Also, if anyone is from Philly or close by what's a good area to look for apartments?
Congratulation, I'm from Philly and Absolutely love it

Where do you go to submit forms?
The onboarding manager site is where you submit all forms including the OF-306 form. HR should have sent you another email that included links to that site and how to register on it.

Aaaaand I can breathe.

Nashua, New Hampshire!

If you're out there, let's connect!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know what the background check and security clearance entails..is it pretty standard or our we going through high level stuff..lol

I've followed this forum throughout my application process but this is my first post.

This evening I accepted an offer in Boston!

If anyone is placed in Boston too, or has insight on housing, please let me know :)

Reactions: 3 users
Beginning to lose hope :(

Cannot relocate to my assignment due to my children, so another spot is open for a lucky candidate. Wish I knew about this program earlier. Best wishes to you all, you will do great work!

Hi all! I accepted a position in Reno, NV today.

I hope I'm not duplicating efforts here... but I created a 2015 PHAP group page on Facebook. Please feel free to find the group and connect! Just search "2015 PHAP" on Facebook and hopefully it will come up. Hope to meet some others who will be a part of PHAP for 2015!

Hi all! I accepted a position in Reno, NV today.

I hope I'm not duplicating efforts here... but I created a 2015 PHAP group page on Facebook. Please feel free to find the group and connect! Just search "2015 PHAP" on Facebook and hopefully it will come up. Hope to meet some others who will be a part of PHAP for 2015!

Nice. Finally found someone going to Reno, Nevada. Now there is 2 of us. Where are you relocating from? I am relocating from Phoenix, Arizona.

Hi everyone, from Philly and just accepted a position in Baton Rouge, LA! I'd really appreciate any advice/has anyone else been placed there? If anyone coming to Philly has questions, lemme know!