2015 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"those PHAP Chat emails" are the only lifeline to those of us who are still waiting. So any communication we receive we are trying to figure out if we are still in the running.
Oops I just read my reply. I hope it did not come across wrong. I was just explaining that at this point anything we receive from Phap is keeping us hopeful :nod:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did everyone get a reply to their email when they accepted the offer? All I was sent were the instructions to access the onboarding system and submit those forms. I haven't heard anything since submitting my transcript and background check form. Anyone else in this boat?
I received a reply from my HR contact, but I did email them to ask if they had received my acceptance of the offer and my transcript.

Hey I am a long time lurker who was extremely anxious, but I did finally get an offer. I got a call from a 770 area code ( GA). I got the call around 8:50 pm cst on Thurs night , and I'm going to San Antonio , TX !! If anyone else is headed that way let me know. Also I would not worry too much about degrees, I have a BA in history with a political science minor, plus a MPA with a concentration in Public Policy. Calls are still being made, but it just takes a while, so be patient

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Decided to accept my offer to Oroville, CA! And I graduated with a BA in anthropology in 2014.

Ugh, you guys getting the offers to Queens, NY are killing me! That was my #1 choice (and the only city I could move to without having to put on a complicated juggling act). Don't get me wrong, I would appreciate an opportunity anywhere but Queens would definitely be a jackpot win all the way. I wonder if we can trade locations *wishful thinking*.

Hi! First time post for me, but reading this forum has been really helpful throughout the application process! I just got an offer for Queens this morning. (Still deciding whether to accept, I've never been to NY but I know this would be a great opportunity.) Are you still looking for a roommate? If you are I can dm you, let me know and thanks!

If you are still waiting for an offer, I was beginning to get discouraged, but they are still giving out offers so don't give up!!
Hi! I recently accepted an offer in White Plains, NY. I currently live in Queens. It's a pretty nice area in my opinion. Let me know if you all need anything. I will be commuting to my host site since it's only about 40 minutes away. I am very excited for you!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

Yes still looking for a roommate. You and me are the only ones on this forum so far with offers in Queens! I have never been to NY either, so you are not alone on this . To be honest, i was thrilled when I heard i got the offer, then they said Queens and there was only silence for a few seconds. I thought about it for like a day or 2 and end up accepting the offer. I saw it like I was accepting a challenge, an adventure, and definitely a great opportunity do to and learn more of what Im passionate about, public health. Also working with the CDC, the leading public health agency in the nation!!!! :love:

If you end up accepting please let me know and we can talk more!
You will be fine! I live in Queens let me know if you need any help!

@jsquared91 If it says on the website that orientation begins in October, does that mean we will start in October also? That would make some logical sense haha. Or at least I hope so...don't think I can start earlier that that :/
Looks like someone already answered it, but yes, you guys will start in October.

Looks like someone already answered it, but yes, you guys will start in October.
Hey I am a long time lurker who was extremely anxious, but I did finally get an offer. I got a call from a 770 area code ( GA). I got the call around 8:50 pm cst on Thurs night , and I'm going to San Antonio , TX !! If anyone else is headed that way let me know. Also I would not worry too much about degrees, I have a BA in history with a political science minor, plus a MPA with a concentration in Public Policy. Calls are still being made, but it just takes a while, so be patient
I can relate to your feeling? I know what you were going through. I just got my call on Friday. I am going to Port Charlotte, FL. If anyone else going there please lets hook up.

Did anyone send their transcript yet? Did you send through the email [to the HR] or mail it?
The letter asks for an official transcript, so it would be a physical paper. Some places want one sent directly by the school to consider it official, not sure about CDC. I had my school send the official one. Hope that helps.

I'm in Austin! I'll be leaving but I know San Antonio pretty well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone explain to me why the process of notifying people takes so long? I kind of feel like it should be more automated...kind of how they send out university acceptances/rejections.

Could someone explain to me why the process of notifying people takes so long? I kind of feel like it should be more automated...kind of how they send out university acceptances/rejections.
I'm right with you. Still waiting. Couple of things. There is a list beginning with top candidates working down. I'm assuming this is scored by our original NORs, personal statements and interviews. They need to work in order. Also they are not just hiring Phappers but other CDC new employees from what I'm told. This is the Federal Government. That's just how it is. Not like the private sector by any stretch of the imagination. Believe me I feel your pain. Just try and stay positive. :uhno:

I'm right with you. Still waiting. Couple of things. There is a list beginning with top candidates working down. I'm assuming this is scored by our original NORs, personal statements and interviews. They need to work in order. Also they are not just hiring Phappers but other CDC new employees from what I'm told. This is the Federal Government. That's just how it is. Not like the private sector by any stretch of the imagination. Believe me I feel your pain. Just try and stay positive. :uhno:

Thanks for explaining it to me. I figured there was some method to the madness, but I wasn't sure what the process was like for them. I was tempted to call HR and ask, but I didn't want to slow them down further. Definitely trying to stay positive! I think I'm at a point where I'm at peace with not getting an offer, but it's killing me not knowing! I really do want this more than anything.

I'm in Austin! I'll be leaving but I know San Antonio pretty well!
Great ! Well at this point I have no idea where in San Antonio I will be working. I would like to know does the city have toll ways and a highway system like Houston's? Is it affordable on the PHAP salary ? Where should I live , or not live?

Hi everyone. I received an offer for Marysville Ohio. Not so excited because Chicago was my first choice. I'm married with 2 kids and will be forfeiting my 53K. Annual job for PHAP. I also have an MPH. I'm really confuse and I have till Monday to accept my offer. Anyone willing to switch... I want CHICAGO. Don't get me wrong I am very grateful for this opportunity & wish you guyz luck as you receive your letter. Any advice?

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I received an offer for Marysville Ohio. Not so excited because Chicago was my first choice. I'm married with 2 kids and will be forfeiting my 53K. Annual job for PHAP. I also have an MPH. I'm really confuse and I have till Monday to accept my offer. Anyone willing to switch... I want CHICAGO. Don't get me wrong I am very grateful for this opportunity & wish you guyz luck as you receive your letter. Any advice?

Unfortunately, PHAP doesn't let you switch locations with anyone. May I ask what your current job is and why you would be willing to downgrade your salary for PHAP?

Congrats! Have you accepted the offer? We will hear more after the security clearance and official offers has been placed.
I did accept, yep. It looks like a lot of past associates in the area actually work in St. Paul, but my offer letter said Minneapolis. They're next door, obviously, but I'm still eager to know the exact location!

They're preparing you to be a patient federal employee. It's your first bit if PHAP orientation, unfortunate, but true.

Reactions: 2 users
I did accept, yep. It looks like a lot of past associates in the area actually work in St. Paul, but my offer letter said Minneapolis. They're next door, obviously, but I'm still eager to know the exact location!

Cool! I have googled some of the CDC projects/involvements in Minneapolis and there are some interesting ones. Where are you relocating from? I am from St. Paul MN [20min away] I will probably commute.

Just curious, of all the people here who received an offer- did you have a master's degree?

Graduated with a BA in English last year, then did some community health work for a few months before applying for PHAP. And I got an offer for Nashville, TN but had to turn it down because I committed to grad school in the fall. So someone should be getting a call for Nashville soon! Good luck to those waiting!

First time posting!

I got my offer last week to Santa Cruz CA, is anyone else being placed there? or have any useful information about moving to that area?

Cool! I have googled some of the CDC projects/involvements in Minneapolis and there are some interesting ones. Where are you relocating from? I am from St. Paul MN [20min away] I will probably commute.
I'm from Rhode Island originally, but actually relocating from South Africa. I've never lived in MN (or close), and there's a lot to do before October! Also why I'd like to know really soon where exactly I'll be located... start looking for housing, etc. But you're right, some of the past projects in the area do look cool, and exciting.

Are we allowed to switch?

Are we allowed to switch?

I highly doubt they would let you switch unless it was for ADA, medical or other circumstances. However, for my class last year, I was under the impression that if you wanted a different city, they would put you on the end of the list until someone else declined that city's position. Most people I know didn't take this option because they were worried they wouldn't get a PHAP spot at all and stuck with their assigned host site . I would definitely call your HR rep for more information.

Hello!

I am a current 2014 PHAP stationed in Marysville, Ohio. I can offer you some insight into what to expect, my experience, etc. if you would like. My email is [email protected] Feel free to email me!

Accepeted an offer last night in Lima, Ohio! If anyone else gets placed there let me know :)
Accepeted an offer last night in Lima, Ohio! If anyone else gets placed there let me know :)

Hello!

Congratulations! I am a 2014 PHAP in Marysville, OH. A fellow PHAP who is stationed in Lima, OH has ok'd giving her contact information so you can connect with her! Her email is [email protected] , feel free to ask her any questions! Welcome to Ohio!

Hello!

This is my first time posting on this thread! Congrats to everyone who received their acceptances. I have been accepted to Queens, NY and I currently live in Long Island, NY. Please let me know if anyone else we be joining me in Queens. I'm really excited to begin this new experience and look forward to meeting everyone at the orientation.

On a separate note.. has anyone else been offered a lower salary than what's stated in the OPM table http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2015/general-schedule/

Last edited:
Hello!

Congratulations! I am a 2014 PHAP in Marysville, OH. A fellow PHAP who is stationed in Lima, OH has ok'd giving her contact information so you can connect with her! Her email is [email protected] , feel free to ask her any questions! Welcome to Ohio!
That's great, thank you so much!

First time posting!

I got my offer last week to Santa Cruz CA, is anyone else being placed there? or have any useful information about moving to that area?
Santa Cruz is a beautiful area! Its a beach, hippie town with beautiful forests and a really fun, touristy boardwalk! I used to go there all the time in high school, you will love it!

It does look like a beautiful city. I am a little concerned about the cost of living and finding an affordable home...Are you familiar with the surrounding areas?

I'm from Rhode Island originally, but actually relocating from South Africa. I've never lived in MN (or close), and there's a lot to do before October! Also why I'd like to know really soon where exactly I'll be located... start looking for housing, etc. But you're right, some of the past projects in the area do look cool, and exciting.

Awesome! You will be fine except from extreme winters. Which you will learn to live with it and LOVE it! Housing is not that bad in my opinion. Let me know if you need any help!

Hello!

This is my first time posting on this thread! Congrats to everyone who received their acceptances. I have been accepted to Queens, NY and I currently live in Long Island, NY. Please let me know if anyone else we be joining me in Queens. I'm really excited to begin this new experience and look forward to meeting everyone at the orientation.

On a separate note.. has anyone else been offered a lower salary than what's stated in the OPM table http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2015/general-schedule/

Hi, Congrats on your placement! I am a 2014 PHAP working in Queens, NY. When I received my offer last year it was lower than what was stated on the OPM table. I sent an email to my HR rep noting this discrepancy and did not formally accept until I was sent a corrected offer. So it is likely an administrative error so if you contact them their should be no issue changing it.

Best!

Hi, Congrats on your placement! I am a 2014 PHAP working in Queens, NY. When I received my offer last year it was lower than what was stated on the OPM table. I sent an email to my HR rep noting this discrepancy and did not formally accept until I was sent a corrected offer. So it is likely an administrative error so if you contact them their should be no issue changing it.

Best!

Thanks so much! I was so worried.. I have emailed them and hopefully, they will fix it! Where exactly are are you working in Queens? I'm still awaiting the official letter containing the info of the placement and other details. Would love to hear about the great (and the not-so-great) things regarding the program! :)

It does look like a beautiful city. I am a little concerned about the cost of living and finding an affordable home...Are you familiar with the surrounding areas?
it might be, just because it's a college town (UC Santa Cruz) but not as expensive as San Franisco. you'd easily be able to find roommates, where are you coming from?

I'm moving from FL with my daughter so I don't think a roommate will work unfortunately lol. I have been looking at surrounding areas but they all seem relatively expensive, even for a small family!

So I guess the waiting game begins again to know our exact locations :scared: :bang: lol

PHAP will have a pretty even mix of Bachelors and Masters, at least based on the past two cohorts.

If you have a masters and a good paying job PHAP may not be the best movie especially with a family. For those of you who are solely doing this to get into fed gov't, this is not for you. This is not a job program, there is no guarantee of a federal job. Only about 50ish people out of 200 will stay on with the CDC. Most CDC jobs are in Atlanta, so if you are not looking to move there then your chances are even lower.

Last edited:

Best!

OMG, that happened to me and I just thought they changed our salary. Should I send an email now, or wait for the official offer letter?

PHAP will have a pretty even mix of Bachelors and Masters, at least based on the past two cohorts.

If you have a masters and a good paying job PHAP may not be the best movie especially with a family. For those of you who are solely doing this to get into fed gov't, this is not for you. This is not a job program, there is no guarantee of a federal job. Only about 50ish people out of 200 will stay on with the CDC. Most CDC jobs are in Atlanta, so if you are not looking to move there then your chances are even lower.

Thanks, this is helpful. I'd be taking a 50% salary cut to join PHAP, not sure if that's worth it. :/ On the flip side, I'm trying to make a career change from something totally unrelated to the health field, so this may be a good first step in.

Ugh, you guys getting the offers to Queens, NY are killing me! That was my #1 choice (and the only city I could move to without having to put on a complicated juggling act). Don't get me wrong, I would appreciate an opportunity anywhere but Queens would definitely be a jackpot win all the way. I wonder if we can trade locations *wishful thinking*.
There are 6 of us in NYC from 2014, and one in Long Island. There are always lots of spots!

OMG, that happened to me and I just thought they changed our salary. Should I send an email now, or wait for the official offer letter?

The official offer letter doesn't come until after all the forms/background check are complete...so I would suggest going ahead and asking about it now.