2015 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great! I am awaiting some responses from some people there who can give me some insight on housing, the experience, city, etc. I will keep you posted and congratulations. Did you accept or will you?

Well my soon-to-be sister in law visits there frequently so I'm going to rely on her a lot for details on the city. I can fill you in as more information starts coming in from our HR rep! Also I'm already a TX native so the idea of moving there doesn't scare me too much. Its very similar to where I live now, or so I've heard from everyone who has been there.

Last edited:
After we submit the background check information, when should we expect to here back from HR?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I am a long time lurker who was extremely anxious, but I did finally get an offer. I got a call from a 770 area code ( GA). I got the call around 8:50 pm cst on Thurs night , and I'm going to San Antonio , TX !! If anyone else is headed that way let me know. Also I would not worry too much about degrees, I have a BA in history with a political science minor, plus a MPA with a concentration in Public Policy. Calls are still being made, but it just takes a while, so be patient

Hey I'm going to San Antonio also!!!

I'm not expecting an offer at this point, but out of curiosity, are offers still being made? Anyone know?

I just got an Email offer, the email says its with the " Office for State, Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS), Office of the Director, located in Marysville, OH" Is that all the information we get? I was kind of hoping to at least know the subject areas before making a decision. I found the site with the previous years appointments and they seem to be placed at the local health department there, but their subject areas vary widely.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not expecting an offer at this point, but out of curiosity, are offers still being made? Anyone know?

I received on offer this morning via email! I will be located in Charleston, WV. Anyone familiar with this area? I am sooooo excited about this opportunity :)

Reactions: 4 users
I just got an offer this morning!

"This position is with the Office for State, Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS), Office of the Director, located in Columbus, OH. "

anyone else placed in Columbus, OH!? Or know much about the area?

Woo!

Hello All!

I am a 2014 PHAP currently located in Marysville, Ohio. Good luck to all of the applicants waiting on offers! Best advice I can give at this point is BE PATIENT. The process is long and grueling, I know. If anyone has any questions, needs advice, etc. I'm happy to help! And if anyone is placed in Ohio let me know so we can connect!

Best wishes to all,
Kandyce

Kandyce,

I was placed in Ohio this morning! Can we connect?

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an offer this morning!

"This position is with the Office for State, Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS), Office of the Director, located in Columbus, OH. "

anyone else placed in Columbus, OH!? Or know much about the area?

Woo!

Congratulations! I messaged you.

Offers are still going out - just got mine this morning for Port Charlotte, FL. That's hard for a mountain boy to bear, but bear we will!

I'd given up hope at this point. Ironically, I just had accepted a temp grant-funded position for another health department and now have to back out of it.

Has anyone heard anything back about the background checks yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an offer via email this morning for San Francisco, CA! Has anyone who got an offer today received a call yet, though? I've tried calling my HR person but it just goes to voicemail right away.

Received an offer via email this morning for San Francisco, CA! Has anyone who got an offer today received a call yet, though? I've tried calling my HR person but it just goes to voicemail right away.

I only got an email, as well. I'm so jealous that you got San Francisco! It's a beautiful city!

Me too - just got the email, no phone call, calling the number just goes to voicemail. Curious - who is your recruiter?

I just got my offer for Hartford, CT! I also got an email instead of a call. I've been trying to call the HR person all day to ask whether or not we get ANY more information about the job description, but I just keep getting her voicemail.

Apparently the job title is "Public Health Advisor" at Office for State, Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS), Office of the Director, located in Hartford, CT.

Has anyone else been placed in Hartford??

Also, I'm still unsure about accepting the position. I already committed to grad school for my MPH and was getting very excited about going. I was so sure I wasn't going to get a PHAP offer so this all took me by surprise. Anyone have some advice about choosing between MPH (at Boston University) and PHAP? I was planning on concentrating in Global Health and I'm unsure if PHAP will really align with my interests (even though it'll be AMAZING work experience).

Also, I'm still unsure about accepting the position. I already committed to grad school for my MPH and was getting very excited about going. I was so sure I wasn't going to get a PHAP offer so this all took me by surprise. Anyone have some advice about choosing between MPH (at Boston University) and PHAP? I was planning on concentrating in Global Health and I'm unsure if PHAP will really align with my interests (even though it'll be AMAZING work experience).

My first thought is: will Boston let you delay entrance? Many schools will do so after they accept you. Might be able to have your cake and eat it too. Also, they already accepted you once - I sincerely doubt that 2 years of experience working with a CDC fellowship is going make them NOT accept you if you reapplied in 2 years.

I just graduated from an MPH program, and in my opinion any program will be what you make it. There are always electives to take, to be sure, but you'll have ample opportunities to research and write about areas of interest. Likewise, from what I can glean from available info, the PHAP experience can be the same - but more than that, it will give you both perspective and a frame of reference for your studies. I went into my degree 6 years out of my undergrad and the life experiences that I had made me a better leader, a more vocal advocate, and allowed me to slot the knowledge I gained into a framework created by my existing work experience. I worked as a TA my second year, and in both of the years of my program I could tell a significant difference in ability, preparation, and knowledge attainment between those who had come straight from undergrad and those with experience in the real world. (note - there were some very capable "young'ns", but book knowledge doesn't necessarily equal information.)

I think your first step is to call your student services coordinator and speak to them about delaying your entry and telling them precisely why. I imagine a program would fall over itself to try to retain you - either in 2 years when you finish, or now by offering a scholarship or something! (With enough ingenuity, any obstacle can be turned into a lever)

Hope that helps - at least from the MPH program point of view.

Me too - just got the email, no phone call, calling the number just goes to voicemail. Curious - who is your recruiter?
My HR contact from the email this morning is Lateasia Phillips. Think we all have the same one?

My first thought is: will Boston let you delay entrance?

I've already contacted them! Waiting for a response now. I guess it's hard because I've had my heart set on BU for so long since I didn't really think PHAP was going to be a possibility. Also, I hate making any decision without all of the information, which makes not having the job description so difficult.

Thank you for your insight though. Are looking for jobs now that you've gotten your MPH or are you also doing PHAP?

I've already contacted them! Waiting for a response now. I guess it's hard because I've had my heart set on BU for so long since I didn't really think PHAP was going to be a possibility. Also, I hate making any decision without all of the information, which makes not having the job description so difficult.

Thank you for your insight though. Are looking for jobs now that you've gotten your MPH or are you also doing PHAP?

I just got an email this morning for PHAP, but I'd been looking for other jobs since February. Eggs and baskets and such. I had literally just interviewed somewhere within the past week and was offered a different job that was 'temporary' until the end of the year, pending another grant approval. I'm not saying no to that one until I actually get a phone call from the recruiter and verify it's for real!

Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know that OSTLTS is the office that PHAP falls under within the CDC, unfortunately it doesn't give you any hints at your host site or program area. I'm disappointed to hear that they haven't been telling you guys you program areas when they notify you, it's probably because HR is doing the notifying and not PHAP itself. But I will emphasize that even if you are in a program that isn't your passion, the skills you gain are transferable to other areas. I know previous phaps who did work in communicable diseases in the program and are moving to chronic disease now.

Same here. Hope she just didn't press the wrong button. :) Hopefully SOMEBODY has heard from her!
4th of July weekend at a federal agency... Give it some time, she's possibly still out of the office.

4th of July weekend at a federal agency... Give it some time, she's possibly still out of the office.

And yet, still magically able to send emails. :)

Seriously, though, that's a good point - I wonder if today was a telework day for her, it would explain the immediate voicemail pickup. That or she's intent on dashing our hopes and dreams. Either one.

I think the concern (or, at least mine) is that the deadline to accept/decline is "no later than July 7th". I already sent an email accepting and am having an irrational fear that it got lost or I didn't do it right.

Thanks for your help and advice, J.

And yet, still magically able to send emails. :)

Seriously, though, that's a good point - I wonder if today was a telework day for her, it would explain the immediate voicemail pickup. That or she's intent on dashing our hopes and dreams. Either one.

I think the concern (or, at least mine) is that the deadline to accept/decline is "no later than July 7th". I already sent an email accepting and am having an irrational fear that it got lost or I didn't do it right.

Thanks for your help and advice, J.
Sorry, I didn't quite catch the timeline. :)

I emailed and asked for more information, specifically more about what subject matter areas I might be working in and I got this in reply:

"You will be assigned to a public health agency developing, implementing, and managing public health strategies and interventions in varied categorical program areas such as chronic diseases, birth defects, HIV, STB, quarantine, preparedness, injury prevention, environmental health and immunization. You will gain front line public health experience working with a diverse populations; leading to the attainment of PHAP competencies and a robust public health learning experience. Specific information regarding the agency, assignment, and supervisors will be provided once the class has been confirmed."

I just got my MPH, and I'm a bit worried about the number of unknowns. I was assigned to Marysville (If you have any insight to that site it would be appreciated), but between the location, the pay, and the fact that I'm not clear on what I would be working with, I don't know if I should accept. They gave me till tomorrow night to decide and I'm just a bit anxious about it all.

I emailed and asked for more information, specifically more about what subject matter areas I might be working in and I got this in reply:

"You will be assigned to a public health agency developing, implementing, and managing public health strategies and interventions in varied categorical program areas such as chronic diseases, birth defects, HIV, STB, quarantine, preparedness, injury prevention, environmental health and immunization. You will gain front line public health experience working with a diverse populations; leading to the attainment of PHAP competencies and a robust public health learning experience. Specific information regarding the agency, assignment, and supervisors will be provided once the class has been confirmed."

I just got my MPH, and I'm a bit worried about the number of unknowns. I was assigned to Marysville (If you have any insight to that site it would be appreciated), but between the location, the pay, and the fact that I'm not clear on what I would be working with, I don't know if I should accept. They gave me till tomorrow night to decide and I'm just a bit anxious about it all.

That host site has had at least a couple Associates before. As far as I remember, they enjoyed their time there. You can check the map of PHAP placements on the official website to see what areas they worked in.

Another tip: if you search PHAP and your host sites location, sometimes you can dig up past Associates LinkedIn accounts and see what they did.

I just got an Email offer, the email says its with the " Office for State, Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS), Office of the Director, located in Marysville, OH" Is that all the information we get? I was kind of hoping to at least know the subject areas before making a decision. I found the site with the previous years appointments and they seem to be placed at the local health department there, but their subject areas vary widely.
Which site did u go to to find previous projects and appointments. thanks and congrats

Thank God. I got an offer this morning for Portsmouth VA. The wait is finally over.
What happens after I send over mt official transcripts? Help anyone?

What hours do PHAP associates work? Is it a fixed 9 to 5 job?

What hours do PHAP associates work? Is it a fixed 9 to 5 job?
For the most part, you'll work 5 8 hour shifts, typically M-F. The exact start/end time will depend on your host site, but we have never been able to do 4 10s, etc. Some specific situations at your host site may offer comp/flex time. Overtime is rare.

Thanks for the link. Looks there is only one PHAP associate in Portsmouth VA. Do you have any idea how I can contact this associate? I'm not sure yet what my project will be.
Once it gets closer to your start date, they usually connect you with the associates in your area. They ask that current associates don't contact incoming associates because they hiring process isn't complete.

Also, on an unrelated note, just because your host site hasn't had a previous placement isn't a bad thing.

Hi all! I got placed in Visalia, CA. I have to make my decision by tomorrow (July 7!) and I was hoping to get some insight into the area and the program more generally. Has anyone been there/know what it's like?

Also, to former PHAP-ers, were you satisfied with the mentorship systems in place provided by the program? What are your plans now? Has the PHAP given you a lot of leverage in your next endeavors?

Offers are still going out - just got mine this morning for Port Charlotte, FL. That's hard for a mountain boy to bear, but bear we will!

I'd given up hope at this point. Ironically, I just had accepted a temp grant-funded position for another health department and now have to back out of it.

Hi congrats! Port Charlotte is my hometown if you have any questions let me know :) I'm a 2014 PHAP

Hi all! I got placed in Visalia, CA. I have to make my decision by tomorrow (July 7!) and I was hoping to get some insight into the area and the program more generally. Has anyone been there/know what it's like?

Also, to former PHAP-ers, were you satisfied with the mentorship systems in place provided by the program? What are your plans now? Has the PHAP given you a lot of leverage in your next endeavors?

We just got our mentors last month and so far I haven't had complaints other than they assigned us so late in our first year. I was fortunate enough to have CDC employees at my host site so I they helped me navigate the CDC side of things. I'm applying to grad schools for my MPH and I definitely believe PHAP will give me the advantage of getting into my preferred MPH program. I'll also apply to CDC jobs but I feel that my lack of a masters degree may hinder me from getting a position, but fingers crossed :)

Just curious - those that received email offers yesterday from Ms Phillips, has anyone gotten a phone call yet? I've got transcript questions and nobody seems able to give me a definitive answer.

Edit: Aha! She can be reached by email, apparently. No word on phone calls, but she does answer questions.

Last edited:
Just curious - those that received email offers yesterday from Ms Phillips, has anyone gotten a phone call yet? I've got transcript questions and nobody seems able to give me a definitive answer.

Edit: Aha! She can be reached by email, apparently. No word on phone calls, but she does answer questions.

No call yet, and no response to any of my emails so far, either to her or the general PHAP email. Hoping to hear back from someone soon...

Long time lurker, first time poster, here! I also just received (and accepted) an invitation for Port Charlotte! There is hope yet!

Reactions: 3 users
No call yet, and no response to any of my emails so far, either to her or the general PHAP email. Hoping to hear back from someone soon...
Hey! We have the same HR person, Lateasia Phillips. I emailed her to confirm that she received my acceptance. She responded to me shortly after. If you're worried that your offer was a mistake, it probably wasn't. I hope that helps!

It's somewhat luck of the draw. Some mentors are better at giving public health advice, others are really good at navigating the federal system. Mine was willing to help, but our interests didn't really align. No one that I've talked to had negative experiences, neutral at worst. You may find that an informal mentor matches you better, a lot of CDCers are willing to guide younger folk.

I'm headed for more schooling. It's possible to get another job with the CDC after PHAP without a graduate degree, but you'll eventually hit a ceiling. It definitely gave me some great experience and helped stand out.

I just got an offer for Marysville, OH and have to reply by Friday, which happens to be my wedding date. I was not expecting an offer at this point so I am not prepared to make the decision. I already accepted an offer for a second term with americorps and I think my supervisor will be upset if I back out at this point because they have been making plans based on me being there and she has already announced it to the board. I am also out of town so I can't just sit down and talk to her about it. Does anyone know anything about the city. It sounds like a small place. My fiance is a web developer and would have to be able to find a job there. Any advice or helpful comments appreciated.

As a current PHAP I would just say (in my opinion) if you are looking for a specific experience in a certain topic area...then PHAP may not be for you. As stated before the program is about gaining transferable skills applicable to any public health program although many people do gain knowledge applicable to a specific program area. All in all PHAP is about flexibility (you will get tired of hearing that)...a public health advisor is really someone who provides technical assistance so to speak in areas/programs with the most need. My second year assignment is actually changing because the need at my host site has changed. Moreover, in my experience, because it is a fellowship program my host site has been supportive of me volunteering (as appropriate) is other program areas to broaden my experience and learn about other things I am interested in. PHAP is a great experience but you have to go in with an open mind.

In terms of knowing your subject area...we were not told until after the hiring process was mostly complete, not sure what the plan is this year but I would assume its similar. So if the program area is a major factor for you then that is something to think about.

Reactions: 2 users
Were any former PHAP-ers deciding between the public and private sector when they made their decision to accept the position with PHAP? What ultimately made them go the CDC route? Are you pursuing an MPH or are you looking to go to Med School/PhD program?

As a current PHAP I would just say (in my opinion) if you are looking for a specific experience in a certain topic area...then PHAP may not be for you. As stated before the program is about gaining transferable skills applicable to any public health program although many people do gain knowledge applicable to a specific program area. All in all PHAP is about flexibility (you will get tired of hearing that)...a public health advisor is really someone who provides technical assistance so to speak in areas/programs with the most need. My second year assignment is actually changing because the need at my host site has changed. Moreover, in my experience, because it is a fellowship program my host site has been supportive of me volunteering (as appropriate) is other program areas to broaden my experience and learn about other things I am interested in. PHAP is a great experience but you have to go in with an open mind.

In terms of knowing your subject area...we were not told until after the hiring process was mostly complete, not sure what the plan is this year but I would assume its similar. So if the program area is a major factor for you then that is something to think about.
^^cosign

Were any former PHAP-ers deciding between the public and private sector when they made their decision to accept the position with PHAP? What ultimately made them go the CDC route? Are you pursuing an MPH or are you looking to go to Med School/PhD program?

Yo. I was chosing between a clinical research coordinator and PHAP. Not only was PHAP much more interesting, it gave me a bigger picture public health experience and definitely made me stand out as I applied to med school.

Those with Lateasia Phillips as their HR Rep, as long as you sent her your full name accepting the position, y'all should be good. She replied to my email with this:

"Yes, I have received your acceptance and we are in the process of creating an account for you to start your onboarding paperwork- you will receive the links in a day or two. Thanks. "