2015 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! Can any of you give any insight into what we need for the application? Is it mostly just like a typical govt application where you give work history and a cover letter? I can't find much info on the CDC website about explicitly what will be needed. I'm applying this winter and want to make sure I won't need anything like recommendations last minute.
You won't need letters of rec. The first round of the application is a resume, college degree verification and a questionnaire. Just keep an eye out for when the application opens. It only stays open for a week and it can fall anywhere from January-February. I'm not sure if PHAP will change their application but generally that is how they've been doing it. The second round is a written essay then the third round is an interview (usually phone or Skype).
Don't sleep on the college degree/expected graduation verification. Your registrar might be slow to complete the form... Just trying to help yall avoid some stress I had.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I'll be out of the country when the 2016 application opens so can anyone give a heads up? In the timeline on the CDC website it doesn't say when references will be requested nor in what form. Some people said they would send your recommenders a questionnaire and others have said there is no request for recommendations so any clarification? Thanks!

Hi everyone! I'll be out of the country when the 2016 application opens so can anyone give a heads up? In the timeline on the CDC website it doesn't say when references will be requested nor in what form. Some people said they would send your recommenders a questionnaire and others have said there is no request for recommendations so any clarification? Thanks!

The application doesn't require references (at least not for the 2014 class). Unfortunately the CDC is pretty sneaky when the application will open but honestly just keep checking the page every day from January-February. For the 2015 class it was open from January 12th-January 16th and they may follow a similar timeline.

Members don't see this ad :)

In case I didn't answer your question the initial application for the first round is only open for a week and doesn't require references. However, I believe you have to submit references in your background check once you accept the position. PHAP will send out tentative offers usually 6 months after you apply if you get through the all 3 rounds. So if you're out for the country for 6 months or longer that is something to consider. Does that help?

http://www.cdc.gov/phap/become_associate/opportunity.html

January 4-8 2016 is the application window this year.

Are there any former or current PHAP fellows and any advice on personal statements and interview preparation? I am thinking to apply for 2016. Thanks very much.

I just got an offer for Marysville, OH and have to reply by Friday, which happens to be my wedding date. I was not expecting an offer at this point so I am not prepared to make the decision. I already accepted an offer for a second term with americorps and I think my supervisor will be upset if I back out at this point because they have been making plans based on me being there and she has already announced it to the board. I am also out of town so I can't just sit down and talk to her about it. Does anyone know anything about the city. It sounds like a small place. My fiance is a web developer and would have to be able to find a job there. Any advice or helpful comments appreciated.

Hey. I have a few question (if you ever see this. The thread is kinda dead). What was your duties in Americorps? Do you feel like AmeriCorps helped you get an offer? I am doing AmeriCorps right now and I work under the public health area of the Medical Center that I work at. I was hoping my experience in AmeriCorps would help me be semi-worthy of getting an offer since my undergrad degree is in Communication.

Hello and happy holidays!
I am preparing to apply for 2016 PHAP and have couple questions in mind:
1) I have just completed my MSc and I don't have the actually diploma yet, only a provisional letter saying I have completing the degree. Do they require the official on the first stage of application process or can I submit it later?

2) Any former PHAP fellows would mind to share their initial experiences in regards to application process?

Thanks very much.

Are there any former or current PHAP fellows and any advice on personal statements and interview preparation? I am thinking to apply for 2016. Thanks very much.

If you're interested in the program, you hopefully want public health to be a major part of your long-term career plans, make sure that comes through in your statement. I applied in 2013, so I'm not sure if they'll change the prompt or not by now.

Hello and happy holidays!
I am preparing to apply for 2016 PHAP and have couple questions in mind:
1) I have just completed my MSc and I don't have the actually diploma yet, only a provisional letter saying I have completing the degree. Do they require the official on the first stage of application process or can I submit it later?

2) Any former PHAP fellows would mind to share their initial experiences in regards to application process?

Thanks very much.
1) Nah, as long as you're going to graduate you'll be good. I think you have to have the registrar fill out a form... I could be remembering this wrong, but get it to the office so they can complete it quick.

2) It's long, drawn out, and a good intro to being patient while working for a large govt agency. Be patient with it and be genuine about your long-term plans and interest in public health.

Also, if someone starts a 2016 thread, put it in a comment below and I'll try to pop in to answer questions every once in a while.

If you're interested in the program, you hopefully want public health to be a major part of your long-term career plans, make sure that comes through in your statement. I applied in 2013, so I'm not sure if they'll change the prompt or not by now.

1) Nah, as long as you're going to graduate you'll be good. I think you have to have the registrar fill out a form... I could be remembering this wrong, but get it to the office so they can complete it quick.

2) It's long, drawn out, and a good intro to being patient while working for a large govt agency. Be patient with it and be genuine about your long-term plans and interest in public health.

Also, if someone starts a 2016 thread, put it in a comment below and I'll try to pop in to answer questions every once in a while.

Thanks very much for your response. Yes, it does seems very slow. Oh well...it's government! Pay is not that great and can't choose a location for two years commitment. I did apply for this year but it's just an open...who knows what will happen by the end of the year! Again, thanks very much.

I received my offer yesterday at 10am!! Ill be located in Tampa, which is awesome because thats where I live now & didn't want to pay for moving =) I'm so excited! Orientation is October 5th!