2015 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else nervous for the interview? Do you think the questions will be specific to public health or more general?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I ended up accepting a different fellowship. My withdrawal should make it so you all have a slightly better chance now. Good luck everyone and I look forward applying to the 2016 cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I applied for 2013 and 2014 cycles and I got in for 2014. I ended up taking another fellowship offer, though. If anyone has questions about the application/interview process, let me know!

Hi all, I applied for 2013 and 2014 cycles and I got in for 2014. I ended up taking another fellowship offer, though. If anyone has questions about the application/interview process, let me know!

I'd like to know a little bit about the interview process. From what I read in past forums, the interview questions are more like an oral exam than a traditional interview. Is this true?

Just received an email for the Interview phase! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted thus far !

Reactions: 1 users
Ok... noooooow I am starting to freak out. To all who haven't heard: there is a wide range on when you can be contacted to schedule an interview, though I think they do intend to have most of them done by the end of April. Congratulations to all to have heard back.... and to those that haven't: keep your head up. There is still plenty of time.

Congrats everyone! I received my interview invitation on Friday and had to finalize everything by 3pm today. For those who haven't heard back, they are still sending out offers. A friend of mine received her invite today!

Congratulations to all your achievements!! Please share your experiences with the interview process and getting a position. I'm sure it would help us a lot. God bless you and thank you.

Hi everyone,

I'll just describe my experiences so far. In 2013, I was invited to do an in-person interview. However, a few days before my interview, they changed me to a phone interview. I unfortunately did not get a PHAP position that year. In 2013, the questions were very specific and situation-based (how do you handle this and that in certain situations). There were exactly like 5-6 questions. The challenging ones asked about how would you deal with situations relating to being a government employee, such as voting and campaigning. There are definitely the typical questions about your interest in the program and why you'd be a good fit.

In 2014, all interviews were conducted by phone. I don't really remember the questions as well, but I actually found this interview to be easier (probably because I had been interviewing and working for a year already and I already did that first interview). They asked exactly 5 questions or something again. The last question was memorable and they gave me this imaginary situation as if I was called to develop a program on a different planet - so no matter what they throw at you, take it as a public health problem and detail steps on how you go about solving the problem. There is no right or wrong answer; like in any interview, they just want to know how you think and the steps you take to come up with a solution.

If you want advice, I agree with PHAP participants who posted above. Definitely show flexibility in geographic location. Know how government employees must act and show your ability in problem solving, communication, and creativity. As you will be a federal employee as a PHAP participant, know the relationship between local, state, federal government and supervision within these sectors.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
I still haven't received a score and my application has not yet been reviewed! Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat, or if anyone has been rejected? Also wondering if those who have received an interview, if everything had been reviewed and you received a score?

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't received a score and my application has not yet been reviewed! Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat, or if anyone has been rejected? Also wondering if those who have received an interview, if everything had been reviewed and you received a score?
I'm in the same situation as you. My application status still says my application is being reviewed. I wouldn't give up just yet. The website says they'll be doing interviews in April and May.

Interview completed, only took about a half hour. Now the wait! Good luck everyone!

Hi all,
I received my NOR and it says my eligibility is going to expire on 4/12/2015. Anybody with similar experience?
Thank you.

Hello! Have you figured out what this means? I have an expiration date on mine as well, with a different date. I'm sort of concerned.

Last edited:
Hello! Have you figured out what this means? I have an expiration date on mine as well, with a different date. I'm sort of concerned.
It's a usa jobs thing, nothing to worry about.

How did it go?
I think it went well. I don't really want to go into specifics or give too much away. I didn't do anything special to prepare and I wasn't blindsided by any questions. Does anyone have any information on how many people they are interviewing for the 200 positions?

I think it went well. I don't really want to go into specifics or give too much away. I didn't do anything special to prepare and I wasn't blindsided by any questions. Does anyone have any information on how many people they are interviewing for the 200 positions?

That's great! I'm glad you were able to answer all the questions comfortably. I don't expect any specifics. After all, we are competing with each other for a limited amount of spaces. How did you find out there are 200 positions available?

Past years they have done about 2.5-3x the number of hires.

Hi Jsquared91,
Thankfully, I've done my interview and overall it went well. I'm still in limbo about making a decision regarding the PHAP program. I was wondering if you (jsquared91) or any other person in the forum can let me know about the pros and cons of pursuing PHAP especially for someone with some years of PH experience and with an MPH? For those asking about the number of positions available, the lady who interviewed me told me that there are 200 slots and they'll be interviewing until May and we should expect to hear back between June and August. Regarding the interview, I'll say its a normal interview process and the bottom line is JUST KNOW YOURSELF! Good luck to everyone.

Hi Jsquared91,
Thankfully, I've done my interview and overall it went well. I'm still in limbo about making a decision regarding the PHAP program. I was wondering if you (jsquared91) or any other person in the forum can let me know about the pros and cons of pursuing PHAP especially for someone with some years of PH experience and with an MPH? For those asking about the number of positions available, the lady who interviewed me told me that there are 200 slots and they'll be interviewing until May and we should expect to hear back between June and August. Regarding the interview, I'll say its a normal interview process and the bottom line is JUST KNOW YOURSELF! Good luck to everyone.

I wasn't in that position, I'd guess the biggest pros are the opportunity to apply as an internal candidate to federal jobs after the program and networking.

Based on your previous posts, you'll take a pay cut, likely relocation, and a temporary step back to an entry level position from management.

There are plenty of PHAPs with MPHs, but I'm not sure how many have that much public health job experience. It's meant as a workforce development program. It's unfortunate that PHPS no longer exists for applicants such as yourself. Check the previous threads, some others there were dealing with similar situations I think.

Just had my interview! Like the others said, the questions were pretty straight forward and the interview only lasted about 45 minutes. Good luck to everyone interviewing in the next few weeks! Now we wait...... :)

Past years they have done about 2.5-3x the number of hires.
Does anyone know how many groups of people they will send invitations to or what's the difference between groups? (Ie: higher score, better personal statements, etc)

I was told by
I was told by my interviewer that there were about 6,000 applications and that they are interviewing 500 applicants for 200 positions.

I was told by

I was told by my interviewer that there were about 6,000 applications and that they are interviewing 500 applicants for 200 positions.

Wow, that number of applicants is really different then what I thought. But good luck to everyone!

I was also passed onto the second round however have not heard anything as of yet regarding an interview but I guess with that many people it may take a little time to schedule and conduct. Good luck everyone!

for those of you who already interview, did the interviewer add you on skype or you added them?

I was also passed onto the second round however have not heard anything as of yet regarding an interview but I guess with that many people it may take a little time to schedule and conduct. Good luck everyone!

Hi peachydeveaux!

How do you know you made it to the final (interview) round? I have not heard anything since submitting my statement of purpose and am trying to find out what is going on.

for those of you who already interview, did the interviewer add you on skype or you added them?
Your interviewer should add you at the time of your interview. Thats what happened for me.

Congrats to everyone and good look with the process. I have my interview tomorrow! Very nervous and excited! Any suggestions from the ones that already did the interview? Thank u!

Congrats to everyone and good look with the process. I have my interview tomorrow! Very nervous and excited! Any suggestions from the ones that already did the interview? Thank u!

May I ask when you were notified that you made it to the final round?

May I ask when you were notified that you made it to the final round?
I was told I advanced to the interview phase on april 3. And interviews started this past monday and will go until friday next week!

I did my interview today and I think it went well. None of the questions really took me off guard and I was able to answer all of them completely. I wish everyone luck with their interviews for those who haven't had them yet!
My interviewer also mentioned that we can expect responses between June and July.

Thanks, Flaviviridae!

Does anyone know if rejection letters have gone out to any applicants?

Thanks, Flaviviridae!

Does anyone know if rejection letters have gone out to any applicants?
I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think they send out official rejection letters to applicants. If they really did have a pool of 6000 applicants and they are interviewing 500, then it would be a lot of work to send a rejection letter to 5500 applicants. From my understanding, you only receive a response if you are moving on in the application process.

Hi peachydeveaux!

How do you know you made it to the final (interview) round? I have not heard anything since submitting my statement of purpose and am trying to find out what is going on.

I am not sure if I did or not. When I said the second round I was referring to the personal statement phase however I havent received an email or anything but my status is still reflecting referred on the usajobs website. We shall see. Does anyone know if they are sending emails to everyone who is receiving an interview at once or are they staggering the emails and scheduling interviews in the upcoming weeks leading up to May?

I was told I advanced to the interview phase on april 3. And interviews started this past monday and will go until friday next week!

Next week? I saw previously where one person was told they will be interviewing until May.

Next week? I saw previously where one person was told they will be interviewing until May.

It seems that each interviewer have a group of people to interview. In my group, we scheduled our interviews online through Doodle. When I scheduled mine, the calender was offering interview spots until friday next week. Maybe you are in a different group that will get interviews later. Following the 2015 timeline, the interviews are during april/May. So dont give up yet!! Maybe they have different groups and are interviewing some first, some later on. I was told that the HR staff is small and very very busy with the Ebola Outbreak. So i was told to be patience during the process. Good luck to you and everyone waiting for their interviews!!!!

I already had my interview and It was very straigh forward and my interviewer was A very very nice person. I was also told that there are only 200 spots, and interviewing around 500. Good luck to everyone!!

They are still reviewing applications, so there is hope if you have not received a notification yet!

Finished my interview! It was very similar format to last year's. Good luck to everyone who still have not done it :)

Hello All! I just finished my interview, it went well and don't be nervous, my interviewer was very nice and it wasn't as formal as I thought it was going to be. They asked 4 questions total, 3 behavioral and 1 situational.

Just remember all of the experience you've had thus far and be honest in all your answers! Good luck to you all & now we wait

Anybody know if they're still interviewing? :eyebrow:

I was actually wondering the same thing. Any of you ladies that have gone thru the interview process random but is your last name at the beginning of end of the alphabet? Just wondering as mine is closer to the end and was thinking that may be why I havent heard as of yet?

Anybody know if they're still interviewing? :eyebrow:
Word on the street is all interviews have been completed.

Sounds like the process to notify hires will be more streamlined this year, with HR making the official offers, no "unofficial offers" via the program this year. No idea if that means phone calls or emails, but it won't be someone from PHAP calling. If you see previous threads, the unofficial offers made it difficult for people to begin housing search, etc. Hopefully this makes it easier.

Does anyone know what our hours would be or if we'd have any flexibility? I know it's full time, but does that necessarily mean Monday-Friday from 9-5?