2015 Post-Match Interview Trail Trash-Talk/Banter Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gratefulgas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So now that the match is over and we're all going to one of the 50 top 20 anesthesia programs, I thought we could have a thread to reflect on our interview experiences. This is just for $hits and giggles, and maybe to help our (O)MS3 friends as they gear up for interview season.

Share your experiences from the interview trail! Tell us the funny story about that one loud-mouthed douche applicant/resident at the pre-interview dinner. What programs did you NOT rank? What program did you not match at, but were impressed by? What was your experience overall throughout the course of this bizarre and interesting process? I'll add my own thoughts here a little later. Trash talking and naming-of-names is encouraged. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I listened to one guy bad mouth one of the unfilled NYC programs enough that another applicant decided not to interview there (he had already mentioned during the start of the conversation he was thinking of cancelling the interview). I guess it gave the other applicant carte blanche to go nuclear which he did.

Even better, while going off on his diatribe, one of premises for bashing that particular program was its inclusion of "too many DOs." What he didn't realize was the other applicant he was talking to that asked for the opinion was a DO, awkward !!!! That particular program only used name tags without school identifying info and I guess the guy was particular obtuse or just that big of a jerk.

I'm not going to trash any programs, but I'm happy to rag on my interview-season self with a bit of advice for the rising MS4s:

It's 100% encouraged that you participate in the consumption of alcoholic beverages (if that's your thing, of course), but make sure you know the % of the beer you order. I had three beers at one interview dinner that I didnt realize were over 10%, and got a little loud....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll add my own thoughts here a little later. Trash talking and naming-of-names is encouraged. :thumbup:

Academic medicine is a small world and you're never as anonymous as you think you are online. Names you name may well be in charge of your getting a fellowship or a job later.

Reactions: 2 users
I listened to one guy bad mouth one of the unfilled NYC programs enough that another applicant decided not to interview there (he had already mentioned during the start of the conversation he was thinking of cancelling the interview). I guess it gave the other applicant carte blanche to go nuclear which he did.

Even better, while going off on his diatribe, one of premises for bashing that particular program was its inclusion of "too many DOs." What he didn't realize was the other applicant he was talking to that asked for the opinion was a DO, awkward !!!! That particular program only used name tags without school identifying info and I guess the guy was particular obtuse or just that big of a jerk.

It wasn't a diatribe, and I was pretty embarrassed when I found out that he was a D.O. a few minutes later... To be clear, he asked about the program first and I gave what I thought were valid reasons for not pursuing an interview there - at the time of the conversation we were both interviewing at a top 15 program. It also wasn't that there were "too many DOs" it was that the program tended to fill with primarily DOs and FMGs, which I thought made it not a very attractive program to spend the coin interviewing at.

Anyways, I remember it enough to regret it over three months later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It wasn't a diatribe, and I was pretty embarrassed when I found out that he was a D.O. a few minutes later... To be clear, he asked about the program first and I gave what I thought were valid reasons for not pursuing an interview there - at the time of the conversation we were both interviewing at a top 15 program. It also wasn't that there were "too many DOs" it was that the program tended to fill with primarily DOs and FMGs, which I thought made it not a very attractive program to spend the coin interviewing at.

Anyways, I remember it enough to regret it over three months later.
Sounds like an East Flatbush program

I want to get this off my chest. I unfortunately didn't my first choice, or my second, though I am still super excited about my third choice. (My first three were very close, almost a toss up, and the gap between 3 and 4 was rather large). But, one of the two programs contacted me asking for feedback its unfortunate that you couldn't come to their program and what they could do better with their interview process.

I was like, WTF, I wanted to go to your program, it was YOU would didn't want me so (list of expletives not appropriate for human ears).

Reactions: 1 users