2015 Postdoc Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mindfulnessiszen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's a little early but I am highly anxious about applying to postdocs. I think it's the residual effect of the internship match process. The hardest part is deciding what I want to do. I like working with adults, assessment, therapy using ACT, working with PTSD populations. I have picked out 7 potential non-neuro sites, most are VAs and one is the Navy postdoc opportunity. Where is everyone in this process? What factors are you considering to narrow down your search?

Members don't see this ad.

Ahhh, I can't believe it's time for another application season! I have my list already but I have very specific goals and knew of most of my sites before this year. I want a research-oriented PTSD post-doc.

Ahhh, I can't believe it's time for another application season! I have my list already but I have very specific goals and knew of most of my sites before this year. I want a research-oriented PTSD post-doc.

You should research how to convince a veteran that they don't have PTSD after social workers and various others have been validating that, either implicitly or explicitly, without actually assessing for it.

I had one guy recently who, when I asked what his trauma was, was flabbergasted and responded that I was in the army, brother. I told him while that was fantastic, that did not qualify as a trauma. No accidents, no hx of abuse, no MST, no combat, no deployments. He said no one had ever dug around for what trauma(s), specifically, he was referencing when he reported all his symptoms. Go figure...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a decent list of places lined up (basically the list of T32s in my field). Between that and some contacts I have, I think I'm pretty well set for options. Like Cara though, most of these were figured out before this year (or WAY before this year...like first year of grad school). The big decision is how many places to apply and/or who do I risk offending. I was originally planning to stay put and picked internship largely to make that happen, but am becoming increasingly uncertain whether this is the right environment for me long-term (meaning beyond post-doc).

Time will tell!

I have a decent list of places lined up (basically the list of T32s in my field). Between that and some contacts I have, I think I'm pretty well set for options. Like Cara though, most of these were figured out before this year (or WAY before this year...like first year of grad school). The big decision is how many places to apply and/or who do I risk offending. I was originally planning to stay put and picked internship largely to make that happen, but am becoming increasingly uncertain whether this is the right environment for me long-term (meaning beyond post-doc).

Time will tell!

I definitely admire that you can plan that far ahead. My aspirations change with the wind, which is definitely why I need to do a postdoc. I just want more experience so that I can find my niche. That's the downside of the military. If I hate it, I have three years of service before I can move on. However, the idea of having a base to come home to (even if I'm deployed) is enticing. I'm tired of moving. My husband is tired of moving. He is willing to move one more time if we can stay put for awhile. Ahhh life!

I definitely admire that you can plan that far ahead. My aspirations change with the wind, which is definitely why I need to do a postdoc. I just want more experience so that I can find my niche. That's the downside of the military. If I hate it, I have three years of service before I can move on. However, the idea of having a base to come home to (even if I'm deployed) is enticing. I'm tired of moving. My husband is tired of moving. He is willing to move one more time if we can stay put for awhile. Ahhh life!

I hear you!! I absolutely dread applying during this upcoming postdoc application cycle. o_O

I'm curious how y'all are finding the post docs you want. It seems like there is literally only one funded T32 that matches my interests. I have a pretty clear sense of WHAT I want to do, but finding the right places to apply is stressing me out. I have a decent list started, but I am still wondering if there are more I'm missing.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh, I can't believe I'm posting in an application-related thread again! Heh. I'm also just starting to narrow down places to apply. I'm looking for clinical, trauma/PTSD-focused postdocs, but I also don't want to apply nationwide again. I love where I am for internship, but there are fewer postdoc slots than interns, so I'm sure there will be some competition for those positions.

Ugh, I can't believe I'm posting in an application-related thread again! Heh. I'm also just starting to narrow down places to apply. I'm looking for clinical, trauma/PTSD-focused postdocs, but I also don't want to apply nationwide again. I love where I am for internship, but there are fewer postdoc slots than interns, so I'm sure there will be some competition for those positions.

Many VA's have PTSD/Trauma specific postdocs, plenty of those to go around, especially if you are geographically flexible.

Many VA's have PTSD/Trauma specific postdocs, plenty of those to go around, especially if you are geographically flexible.

Seconded. I'm sure some of the bigger university-based PTSD training hubs also offer postdocs, but the VA has quite a few and will likely continue adding more into the near future.

are there any specific websites to look at? I know Appic doesn't have much listed, though I hear the list serve is good

I'm not super geographically flexible, actually -- I either want to move back to where I'm from or stay in the area I'm in, but I'm not willing to drag my spouse to another random location with me. I'm at a VA internship currently and will be applying to all the VA postdocs in the appropriate areas, but I'm also hoping to find additional, non-VA options just to broaden my search a bit.

are there any specific websites to look at? I know Appic doesn't have much listed, though I hear the list serve is good

You can try the websites and/or listserves of APA divisions and professional organizations of your specialty areas of interest. That's basically what I did, and it seemed to help me find most of what was available.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
damn, I can't believe I belong in this thread! just getting started with the process of selecting sites... thankfully this list should be much shorter/less complicated than internship apps last year. I really like my internship site and will probably try to stay in-state, though looking at some VA sites too (I'm currently at an AMC site). Anyone here have experience with completing a non-VA internship and moving into the VA at the post-doc level? I interviewed with quite a few VAs for internship and very much liked them, but ended up ranking my matched site higher... I know the general lore is that VAs prefer their own.

damn, I can't believe I belong in this thread! just getting started with the process of selecting sites... thankfully this list should be much shorter/less complicated than internship apps last year. I really like my internship site and will probably try to stay in-state, though looking at some VA sites too (I'm currently at an AMC site). Anyone here have experience with completing a non-VA internship and moving into the VA at the post-doc level? I interviewed with quite a few VAs for internship and very much liked them, but ended up ranking my matched site higher... I know the general lore is that VAs prefer their own.

Just in my own experience, half or more of the postdocs with whom I worked (I went through two classes) came from non-VA internships.

Just in my own experience, half or more of the postdocs with whom I worked (I went through two classes) came from non-VA internships.

I'm sure it varies pretty widely at different sites. In my past and current VA, I'd say we have about a 70% retention of postdocs that were interns at the VA, the number is higher for people who have at least a practicum through the VA as well.

If it makes you feel better - even as focused as I feel like I am there is still plenty of "What do I want to do with my life?" going on. It just gets more specific and occurs at the mentor level rather than the post-doc level (e.g. do I want a post-doc in neuroscience or D&I within my field of study? Alcohol or nicotine? Psychotherapy or pharmacological interventions? etc.).

Last edited:
I know how you guys feel, I'm doing a hospital for internship where I'm getting experience in a lot of different but specific areas and I'm concerned I haven't been specific enough in my goals until this point a less generalist postdoc

For those of you who passed this stage, what is the likelihood of impressing the heck out of your internship site and the site creating a post-doc for you (especially if you are noticing the need is evident)? I love my internship site, but they don't have post-docs. And what if I want to bring in a grant? There is plenty of research going on, so I feel like I could do the leg-work with their support.

Can't comment on creating a post-doc. I imagine it depends on the site and the amount of funding they have. Its incredibly common for research post-docs at AMCs, but I imagine would be quite rare for clinical post-docs at CMHCs.

As for the grant...bring it up now! Next deadline is December if you are thinking of writing an F and even that is cutting it REALLY close if you would be looking for a July start date (even assuming it gets funded on the first go). There are also administrative issues to contend with (i.e. grant may or may not cover fringe or other benefits or it may suck up so much of the budget you won't have enough for the research). I really wanted to write one, but it wound up not being an option here due to a combination of the above - incredibly disappointing and I'm keeping my fingers crossed my idea doesn't get scooped between now and when I get a faculty position and can write it up as an R03.

Thanks for the feedback, Ollie. This is a well-funded Northeastern VA. I was surprised that they do not have any post-docs presently but have in the past and may in the future. I will get right on it then and see how my ideas pan out.

I absolutely love training there now FWIW and won't be able to even think about returning until licensed (about 1.5 yrs down the road). I'm looking into post-docs and have pretty much the same targets as Cara Susanna (more extensive PTSD/trauma training).

So, for those of you applying to post docs that are mostly research, but also include clinical work - who are you using as letter writers? Are you asking internship supervisors for letters, even though we've only been there a short time? I'm thinking I'll want 2 letters more focused on my research and 1 more focused on my clinical work, but I don't know who to ask for what!

I'd think this would depend what "includes clinical work" means. If its 2 "clinic days" where you are basically functioning as a staff psychologist, I'd definitely ask for at least 1 clinical letter. If you are talking about a research post-doc where "Sure, we can cobble together enough hours for you to be license eligible" they might not care. If you have people who know both aspects of your work, that might be sufficient.

I'm in the same boat right now about who I should ask. I don't feel comfortable asking internship folks yet, but in another month or two when more ads start coming out I might.

What about if some of the fellowships have teaching responsibilities.... *head hits desk* :)

my reaction: GREAT, now i get to pay an extra $100 or more for applying to post doc. :mad:

That's exactly how I feel. I'm kind of hoping most of my sites don't want to use this...

I checked it out and it looks kind of like a pain, tbh. Especially if some of my sites use it and some don't.

I don't know, I see the ease of just uploading materials once, and just hitting a few buttons to send it out to multiple sites nice. Better than compiling and mailing out a bunch of packets. Having done it the old way, I'd rather do it via a central source.

I don't know, I see the ease of just uploading materials once, and just hitting a few buttons to send it out to multiple sites nice. Better than compiling and mailing out a bunch of packets. Having done it the old way, I'd rather do it via a central source.

For me, it's a time vs. money issue. If I can save over $100 by spending some extra time to do it myself, I'd rather do that. I may not have the choice, of course.

Does the centralized system have a lot of post docs? Last year, not a single position I applied for appeared on the APPIC site. Have they beefed up actual positions?

So, for those of you applying to post docs that are mostly research, but also include clinical work - who are you using as letter writers? Are you asking internship supervisors for letters, even though we've only been there a short time? I'm thinking I'll want 2 letters more focused on my research and 1 more focused on my clinical work, but I don't know who to ask for what!
I tailored my letters depending on positions. For some sites I used 3 researchy LoR, some sites 3 clinical LoR, and others were mixed.

There are zero positions listed on the site as of today - apparently sites will begin listing on Oct. 1st. Curious to see how many sites are there as well. . .

I played around with the app site today and have already found something I'm confused about--it doesn't let you list the same university twice, so I'm not sure how to list both my PhD (in progress) and my non-terminal Masters. Or is it just assumed that Masters is included? Thoughts?

Also, not a fan of their divison of dissertation progress statuses. Maybe because according to their categories, I'm only at "proposed," which to me feels SUPER behind compared to "data collection in progress." Or it could just be me.

Welcome back to hell apparently. I looked at the site and the prices and although I went ahead and registered, I am hoping to place by alternative methods.

I played around with the app site today and have already found something I'm confused about--it doesn't let you list the same university twice, so I'm not sure how to list both my PhD (in progress) and my non-terminal Masters. Or is it just assumed that Masters is included? Thoughts?

Also, not a fan of their divison of dissertation progress statuses. Maybe because according to their categories, I'm only at "proposed," which to me feels SUPER behind compared to "data collection in progress." Or it could just be me.

Just my take--I would basically assume that if a person had successfully proposed, they'd be in some aspect of the data collection stage. Thus, at least from my perspective, I don't think I'd worry about being potentially short-changed on your progress.

I thought that there was no a formal match for postdocs. I researched the websites/training brochures for a number of postdocs listed on the APPIC directory and they did not make any mention of applying through the match. Has the postdoc process changed for the sites listed on the directory?

There's not a match for post docs, except for neuropsych.

I thought that there was no a formal match for postdocs. I researched the websites/training brochures for a number of postdocs listed on the APPIC directory and they did not make any mention of applying through the match. Has the postdoc process changed for the sites listed on the directory?

I know that a year or two ago APPIC (or maybe APA? I forget who exactly) sent out a survey to matched internship applicants asking if they'd support a similar system for postdoc. I vehemently disagreed when I saw the pricing structure, and left many frank comments about how this system is unfair to applicants and how charging them for postdoc applications also is a terrible idea. Looks like they didn't heed my advice. :(.

Thanks, AA! That is reassuring.

This isn't a match, right? Just a universal application system?

So I think I am going to go the postdoc route to get some extra training so that I am marketable later on in my career. But I want to explore all my options. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to how the VA system works. Could I get an entry level job at a VA? I see the job posts and it seems like the range indicates that they are taking entry level psychologists. Am I correct on that assumption?

So I think I am going to go the postdoc route to get some extra training so that I am marketable later on in my career. But I want to explore all my options. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to how the VA system works. Could I get an entry level job at a VA? I see the job posts and it seems like the range indicates that they are taking entry level psychologists. Am I correct on that assumption?

You can, but the more competitive positions will have lots of applicants. And they will take a person with a completed postdoc and licensure over someone without it most of the time.

Yes. Could being the kep word. GS-11 positions (entry level positions) are not rare, but not exactly plentiful either. Ands there are open to all those who are more experienced as well, so they are super competitive.

Unless someone talks me out of it, I think I'll be skipping the formal post doc next year and be looking for a permanent position at a UCC. Any reason why this might be a mistake later on down the road?

Unless someone talks me out of it, I think I'll be skipping the formal post doc next year and be looking for a permanent position at a UCC. Any reason why this might be a mistake later on down the road?

Depends, I don't know your future career aspirations. Some boarding processes require a fellowship for board cert. Obviously npsych does, I don't know about others. May want to check into that first.

I looked up board cert under the specialty of counseling psych and it requires "two years of post doctoral experience." Am I to assume that's two years of formal post docs or just two years of practice?

I can't imagine the counseling psych specialty requires two years of formal post docs. Who's got time for that?!

Another issue is if everyone else does a post doc and you're competing against them for jobs. It's like degree inflation.

Fortunately Cara, you and I are pretty good at this so it's the competition that has to worry.

I have another potentially ignorant question. There is one VA that I am specifically interested in. There are currently no psychology openings nor do they offer a postdoc. I know postdocs can be informal. Has anyone ever done an informal postdoc at a VA? I wanted to ask here before I contact the VA.

I have another potentially ignorant question. There is one VA that I am specifically interested in. There are currently no psychology openings nor do they offer a postdoc. I know postdocs can be informal. Has anyone ever done an informal postdoc at a VA? I wanted to ask here before I contact the VA.

Well, its a job. GS-11 pay grade. technically called "graduate psychologist" on the book until licensed.