2015 Postdoc Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, this app portal is not connected to the internship portal? All these transcripts were in your internship potal less than 12 months ago

The app portal process.....

complex-process-300x238.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So, this app portal is not connected to the internship portal? All these transcripts were in your internship potal less than 12 months ago

Nope, totally different system, get to start from scratch.

Members don't see this ad :)
But it's run by the same people isn't it? APPIC?

Yes, but the platform is different and doesn't talk to each other. Even if it did, I'm not sure it would make a difference -- if you apply for internship two years in a row, the application and associated materials don't carry over, either.

I don't think I'm applying for anything using the CAS portal. In fact, I think I was considering a "backup option" that is using it and decided not worth the effort for a backup site.

(Do you hear me, hopefully feedback-seeking postdoc portal gods?)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think I'm applying for anything using the CAS portal. In fact, I think I was considering a "backup option" that is using it and decided not worth the effort for a backup site.

(Do you hear me, hopefully feedback-seeking postdoc portal gods?)

I'm in the same situation...since it is the first year and so few sites are using it, I wish sites would give the option to apply through appic or apply in the traditional manner

Yes, but the platform is different and doesn't talk to each other. Even if it did, I'm not sure it would make a difference -- if you apply for internship two years in a row, the application and associated materials don't carry over, either.

I believe the APPIC folks actually specifically mention somewhere that at a certain point after Phase II, the database is essentially scrubbed and applications are deleted, yep. So even if APPIC wanted to carry over the information, they couldn't, at least not with the current setup.

Hey everyone,

Ughhhhh...I am using the APPIC portal and it is a total bear and completely non-intuitive. Anybody having trouble adding references (aka: "evaluations")? It is currently rejecting all email/contact info for my letter writers. The portal is quickly becoming my "second tier" options because they are on the portal, haha

I didn't have trouble with that, but I did have trouble uploading documents for site materials. Turns out that you can't upload anything using Internet Explorer (before anyone makes fun of me for using IE, I was at my internship site).

New question (maybe):

Some sites are listed on the APPCN list and interview at INS (or not) (match date February 23, 2015).
They are ALSO listed on the APPA CAS (match date who knows?).

Are we required to pay twice to apply to these same sites (and submit two ranking lists?)?

What if we match to two different places, one on each match?

Does anyone have any insight into this mess?

:bang:

I am applying to a postdoc at a site that I interviewed at for internship (I ultimately ranked them second and got my first choice, but still really fit well with them).

So, a question for the masses: How different is the Letter of Interest for PostDoc from the materials we submitted for internship? Less detailed? More heavily focused on current experiences? Sell more of the fit up-front? Internship had us submit so many materials, I'm just a little stymied as to how to convey everything in one page. Any suggestions would be lovely.

Thanks!

I am applying to a postdoc at a site that I interviewed at for internship (I ultimately ranked them second and got my first choice, but still really fit well with them).

So, a question for the masses: How different is the Letter of Interest for PostDoc from the materials we submitted for internship? Less detailed? More heavily focused on current experiences? Sell more of the fit up-front? Internship had us submit so many materials, I'm just a little stymied as to how to convey everything in one page. Any suggestions would be lovely.

Thanks!

Obviously this could be wrong, but I'm basically only giving a brief overview of my experience, what I like about their site, and why I think I'm a good fit for it. I think that they can get all of the other information from my CV. I'm also tired of jumping through hoops at this point.

I had one question for people: some sites want a letter from the dissertation chair describing their dissertation progress, and some sites want a letter from their DCT describing their dissertation progress. Do you think it's okay to give all sites one or the other? I'd feel silly asking my chair to write me one when I already have one from my DCT that I can just include in my applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did some sleuthing- it looks like you can't submit email contact info for the letter of refs/evaluation on firefox! This system is so terrible!

So I guess Google Chrome is the only APPA CAS-friendly browser? ;)

Thanks everyone for the feedback about this portal! So here is a question for all my neuro friends out there: I am applying to both APPCN and non-match sites. Now with the invent of this portal I am going to be paying to apply to many of my sites, furthermore my top site at this moment is a non-match site. So, my question is do I need to register for the APPCN match before I send out my APPCN program applications (so my match number is included on the application) or can I wait and see what happens with interviews before I shell out an extra $150? I know that applicants should register for the match before Jan. 16th so this makes me think that if I get interviews at non-match sites that I really like (or do not get interviews at any APPCN sites) I may not have to register for the match at all and could save some money (given that I would not be ranking any APPCN match sites). Any insight into this? I know it's only $150, but it's also $150! Thanks :)

A question about letters of recommendation: as most sites require 3 (and the new portal limits you at that number), how are people choosing who to get their letters from? All of my sites are clinically focused positions, so I thought 2 from my current internship site (both of whom know me well and can write extensively about my experiences) and 1 from a previous externship site would be most helpful, but I did not know if it would seem odd to not include any letters from my dissertation advisor. She does not know anything about my clinical experiences, so I am not sure what would make the most sense. Any advice?

Thanks everyone for the feedback about this portal! So here is a question for all my neuro friends out there: I am applying to both APPCN and non-match sites. Now with the invent of this portal I am going to be paying to apply to many of my sites, furthermore my top site at this moment is a non-match site. So, my question is do I need to register for the APPCN match before I send out my APPCN program applications (so my match number is included on the application) or can I wait and see what happens with interviews before I shell out an extra $150? I know that applicants should register for the match before Jan. 16th so this makes me think that if I get interviews at non-match sites that I really like (or do not get interviews at any APPCN sites) I may not have to register for the match at all and could save some money (given that I would not be ranking any APPCN match sites). Any insight into this? I know it's only $150, but it's also $150! Thanks :)

Honestly, I'm not actually sure on this. I'd imagine you could technically hold off on registering for the match until the indicated deadline, but you may want to read through APPCN's policies just to be sure. Personally, I would register for the match, but that's just because of my own support of it as a process.

Another issue is if everyone else does a post doc and you're competing against them for jobs. It's like degree inflation.

This I am definitely seeing. I know a not insignificant number of people up for assistant professor gigs with 40-50 publications because they did a post-doc and in some cases stayed on a K award before hitting the job market hard. I think places do take that into consideration, but it still seems like it adds a lot more noise into the system then was there 20 years ago...

This I am definitely seeing. I know a not insignificant number of people up for assistant professor gigs with 40-50 publications because they did a post-doc and in some cases stayed on a K award before hitting the job market hard. I think places do take that into consideration, but it still seems like it adds a lot more noise into the system then was there 20 years ago...

I can at least say it's not unique to psychology, and in many cases, clinical/counseling seems to be a bit better off than various other disciplines. I know folks who earned their doctorates in a variety of disciplines (theoretical mathematics, biology, various engineering fields), and for those who wanted to go into academia rather than private industry, it was the norm rather than the exception that they complete multiple postdocs in order to A) become more competitive for faculty positions, and B) bide time and earn at least some form of income while continuing to apply for jobs each year.

Conversely, the majority of the clinical psych folks I know who went into academia and completed a postdoc did so because they were neuro; many of the rest found spots straight out of internship.

Another question: if applications want materials emailed to them (meaning, they don't use the APPA CAS), do you think it's better to have them included in the same email as the rest of your application, or instead to have them directly come directly from the writers? A lot of my sites don't specify wanting letters to come directly from the writer. I'm sure it's easier for sites logistically if you just include the letters yourself with the rest of the materials in the same email, but it also might make the letters seem less confidential. Thoughts?

Another question: if applications want materials emailed to them (meaning, they don't use the APPA CAS), do you think it's better to have them included in the same email as the rest of your application, or instead to have them directly come directly from the writers? A lot of my sites don't specify wanting letters to come directly from the writer. I'm sure it's easier for sites logistically if you just include the letters yourself with the rest of the materials in the same email, but it also might make the letters seem less confidential. Thoughts?

I've emailed a few sites to specifically ask them this and got mixed responses (some places want it from me and others prefer an email or letter from the writer). It's annoying that they don't specify.

Ohh, APPA CAS, what a catchy little name for a turdy little portal. Okay so I have had some letter writers say that they were not able to load up materials, and Cara Susanna and I have figured out that it is all about the servers...any server has its own unique problems, firefox and IE have both caused issues. Ask your writers to switch the server if problems occur.

And speaking of writers (aka "evaluations)...I can't remember this from the APPIC portal last year...can I submit my materials (ie pay) even if my writers have not uploaded their evals and my transcripts are in transit? I just want to rid myself of this, even if it is a month before the deadlines.

I've emailed a few sites to specifically ask them this and got mixed responses (some places want it from me and others prefer an email or letter from the writer). It's annoying that they don't specify.

Belated thanks for this response. I think I'll just bite the bullet and email the sites. I was reluctant because most of mine don't specify so it's a lot of emails.

Ohh, APPA CAS, what a catchy little name for a turdy little portal. Okay so I have had some letter writers say that they were not able to load up materials, and Cara Susanna and I have figured out that it is all about the servers...any server has its own unique problems, firefox and IE have both caused issues. Ask your writers to switch the server if problems occur.

And speaking of writers (aka "evaluations)...I can't remember this from the APPIC portal last year...can I submit my materials (ie pay) even if my writers have not uploaded their evals and my transcripts are in transit? I just want to rid myself of this, even if it is a month before the deadlines.

As someone who needed to submit letters, I found the portal a challenge as well and shifting browsers didn't solve the problem (despite doing what the helpdesk recommended). However, even though they say they are not working on the weekend, I tried emailing last night about my difficulty, had a prompt reply and they asked me to email the letter attached to them and they were able to complete the process. So if your referents might need help, send them the CAS helpdesk email.

Trying to update my CV- any sense of how to include multiple rotations without making it too cumbersome?

Trying to update my CV- any sense of how to include multiple rotations without making it too cumbersome?

From my CV: Note I used to have full descriptions of each rotations, but have since removed that.

Predoctoral Psychology Intern
United States Department of Veterans Affairs
XXXXX Veterans Affairs Medical Center-City, State

The APA accredited training program at the XXXXX VA Medical Center is affiliated with the University of XXXXXX and provides a one-year, full-time internship that endorses the scientist-practitioner model of training. Each intern devotes three days per week to clinical training and supervision on the primary rotation and one day a week at a secondary rotation, which must be at a site different from the primary rotation. One day per week was devoted to research activities of the interns choosing.
-Post-deployment Primary Care Integrated/OEF-OIF Transition Center (Primary Rotation-6 month)
-Geropsychology/Neuropsychology Service (Secondary Rotation-6 months)
-Substance Abuse /PTSD Residential Treatment Program (Primary Rotation--6 months)
-PTSD Outpatient Program (Secondary Rotation-6 months)

thanks so much, that's very helpful. When you were applying for post docs did you include the full description of each rotation?

thanks so much, that's very helpful. When you were applying for post docs did you include the full description of each rotation?

Yes. I just removed the full descriptions this past year.

Hi everyone! I feel like I was just applying to internship yesterday and here I am again. And can't seem to catch a break from APPIC with this new APPA thing. Anyway, I have question you all might be able to answer. Is a "letter of intent" requested by some postdoc sites the same as a cover letter?

If anyone is interested, the Houston VAMC just got funding for two additional postdocs for Neuropsychology. I don't believe they are going through the portal, you can just send everything directly. The info is attached in pdf. If you have any questions about the fellowship, feel free to PM me, I have extensive experience with the fellowship.

Attachments

• VAMC Neuropsychology Pamphlet 11-26-2014.pdf
    496.9 KB · Views: 57
I hate APPA CAS. My first site is due Monday, and I'm unable to submit and pay for that particular site (though I am able to do so for other sites, to which I haven't finished uploading documents). There's nothing that tells me what I'm actually missing, and of course, the office is closed 'till Monday, so I have no one to call. Sigh. Anyone else running into trouble actually submitting their applications?

Has anyone encountered rolling applications? I'm trying to get mine in ASAP, but what is a good deadline to aim for once the ad has been published? The particular site I'm looking at has 4 slots.

Does anyone have a link to the Durham VAMC brochure or ad for this year? I can only find brochures from previous years and want to be sure I'm submitting the correct materials on the correct date. Also, any idea how to interpret the instructions below? E-mail and business addresses are provided, so I'm wondering if I can mail OR e-mail or if I need to mail AND email the application materials...

"Please send these materials in a single envelope marked "Fellowship Application" and specify the area of emphasis to which you are applying. Please send all materials together in one complete packet in electronic format (word documents or PDF)."

Thanks! I hope I'm not missing something obvious, here! :D

For anyone using APPA, I just submitted my first application and got the following charming automated message:
"Congratulations!

You have successfully e-submitted your online application to APPA CAS.

Before your application can be placed in line for verification, your application must have a status of ”Complete” and be assigned a Complete Date. In order to become “Complete” APPA CAS requires the following:

1. Application is e-submitted and payment has been received.
  2. All required transcripts and/or any required foreign transcript evaluation(s) have been received.
  3. All required evaluations been completed.
Once your application becomes complete, it can take up to four weeks for it to be processed and made available to your programs during our peak periods. All materials should arrive at APPA CAS at least four weeks prior to your earliest deadline to allow for timely processing.

Remember: It is your responsibility to monitor the status of your application and follow up with APPA CAS on any missing items or incomplete or undelivered statuses. You can track your status via the “Program Status” area of your application.

Now that your application has been e-submitted, take some time to review the APPA CAS FAQ, which answers many common questions about your application after it has been submitted.

Finally, please note that APPA CAS does not determine if an applicant has met the minimum requirements or is eligible for admission to any APPA CAS program. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all program requirements have been met.

Best of Luck!

APPA CAS Customer Service"

Did anyone read the "things should arrive 4 weeks before your deadline" anywhere? This is the first I'm hearing of it, and I'm freaking out.

Wait, what? Do they mean that you should submit your app four weeks prior to the app deadline?

I don't really know, but it certainly sounds like it, doesn't it?

It does! And that is freaking me out, too! My first app deadline is in less than two weeks. And I have a few not long after that. I still have some rec leters that I need submitted. Ahhh! Why couldn't you have told us this earlier, APPA CAS??

It does! And that is freaking me out, too! My first app deadline is in less than two weeks. And I have a few not long after that. I still have some rec leters that I need submitted. Ahhh! Why couldn't you have told us this earlier, APPA CAS??

I emailed tech support about it, I'll update if I ever hear back.

this thing sounds like a complete nightmare.

There is so much suck involved in the APPA CAS. Has anyone attempted to do an application for the Seattle, excuse me, Puget Sound VA? They have no evaluation or document submission options at all.

Last edited:
I hate this system. So, I know there was a discussion earlier, but.... can I skip on sending my undergrad transcripts? They only cost $8, but, APPA is already stealing so much money from me....

There is so much suck involved in the APPA CAS. Has anyone attempted to do an application for the Seattle, excuse me, Puget Sound VA? They have no evaluation or document submission options at all.
I tried, but it's pretty much impossible with no submission boxes.

So try as I might, I have only found 5 places that are truly good fits for what I want to do. And two of those opportunities came from meeting people at ABCT. I hope 5 is enough. We shall soon see.

I hate this system. So, I know there was a discussion earlier, but.... can I skip on sending my undergrad transcripts? They only cost $8, but, APPA is already stealing so much money from me....

My impression is that you can't -- you have to submit a transcript for all places listed under education in order for your application to be complete. You could just not list your undergrad institution, of course, but I'm not sure how advisable that is.

I am applying to too many so you have to take this with a grain of salt, but many of my fellow interns said that 4-5 is the right amount, and were given that advice at ABCT, and are planning to only apply to 4-5.

OK, I heard back from APPACAS tech support:

"Good morning,

Our apologies, that should be clearer on the site; we are working to update
that.

Your application is now complete, meaning all of your programs can see all of
your information. We have yet to verify you, as that can take a few weeks (it
is not taking the max of 4 right now), and verification is just verifying your
degrees and your GPAs. So, while we verify you, your programs can review you.

Again, our apologies. Let us know if you have any additional questions."

It's still not clear to me what the verification business is, but at least it seems like sites should be able to see our materials, regardless.

OK, I heard back from APPACAS tech support:

"Good morning,

Our apologies, that should be clearer on the site; we are working to update
that.

Your application is now complete, meaning all of your programs can see all of
your information. We have yet to verify you, as that can take a few weeks (it
is not taking the max of 4 right now), and verification is just verifying your
degrees and your GPAs. So, while we verify you, your programs can review you.

Again, our apologies. Let us know if you have any additional questions."

It's still not clear to me what the verification business is, but at least it seems like sites should be able to see our materials, regardless.

That sounds at least somewhat heartening. My guess re: verification is that APPACAS may actually be going through and contacting your educational institution(s) to verify degree status and GPA with them. I can see how this would be a selling point to participating sites (i.e., "we'll do the legwork of ensuring the accuracy of degree/GPA information") and also why it might take up to 4 weeks if the number of applicants is large.