2015 Postdoc Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The trick is that they are likely extending before many other sites have extended offers, or in many cases, have even interviewed applicants. As well as the fact that it may be hard to actually get a hold of another site to find out your standing at a possibly more desired location in that time frame.

We see it all the time in recruiting. We usually don't care that much because we still get our top applicants, but I have plenty of colleagues who have had applicants drop out of scheduled interviews because of this.

Members don't see this ad.

So this is not at all an issue for me at this point, but I'm beginning to get a bit anxious about the possibility of receiving an offer before I've had all my interviews. My understanding from speaking with people who have gone through this process is that sites often give small windows to hold an offer (ie, 24-48hrs) and you often have to make decisions without having been everywhere. Any previous applicants want to chime in on their own experiences/offer advice?
You know, I hadn't really thought about this, but my first interview is going to be at least 12 days before my last interview. And because of flight arrangements cancellation would be difficult. Hmm. Something to ponder for sure. (Although also irrelevant without an offer, so.)

What do people typically wear to Skype interviews? Would you suggest a suit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Skype interviews, nice shirt and tie, no pants. Might as well be comfortable.

:laugh:

A friend of mine works for a well known news show and one of the anchors rarely wears pants. He either has on shorts or more likely boxers, as he doesn't want to wrinkle his pants. Of course, now that he's done it for so long any change is "not possible" because the guy swears he'd be too restricted and unable to offer his "A-Game".

I also know a guy who frequently walks around the set shirtless, flexes, and pumps himself up like a jock prior to his show/segment. I happened to be on set and saw the guy do this, and it was…an experience. FWIW…he was a nice guy, just very rigid about, "his routine."

Some odd ducks in news/media…

What do people typically wear to Skype interviews? Would you suggest a suit?

I wore a suit and fuzzy slippers. :) I thought about not wearing pants, or wearing pajama pants, but decided against it because I think my dress shirt looks better tucked in.

The trick is that they are likely extending before many other sites have extended offers, or in many cases, have even interviewed applicants. As well as the fact that it may be hard to actually get a hold of another site to find out your standing at a possibly more desired location in that time frame.

We see it all the time in recruiting. We usually don't care that much because we still get our top applicants, but I have plenty of colleagues who have had applicants drop out of scheduled interviews because of this.

This is turning out to be exactly the situation I am facing. High potential to receive an offer from a site prior to interviewing at other, perhaps more desired sites. Strug.gle.ing. Bird in the hand, two in the bush. Its one year, and all sites would move me toward licensure. All of these sites are in an extremely competitive (read: saturated) part of the country, which ups the ante.

Man. I know there's some Kahneman research about this type of gamble...any thoughts?

It's all a gamble. I took the gamble out of it, all of my sites were in the APP-CN match, so interviews happened at the same time and there was a uniform notification date. Sites will continue to do this for as long as it works for them, they're not all that interested in what's best for their applicants, rather what's best for themselves.

This is turning out to be exactly the situation I am facing. High potential to receive an offer from a site prior to interviewing at other, perhaps more desired sites. Strug.gle.ing. Bird in the hand, two in the bush. Its one year, and all sites would move me toward licensure. All of these sites are in an extremely competitive (read: saturated) part of the country, which ups the ante.

Man. I know there's some Kahneman research about this type of gamble...any thoughts?

I'm in a similar situation with positions operating outside APPACAS. My TD recommended I let the other sites know the dates I'll be interviewing and the dates offers will be made. Although the other sites are not bound to make reciprocal offers, the TD thinks they may if they like me :)

I'm planning on waiting the rest of this week out and then notifying the other sites of my status on Monday. All the positions I've applied for are in a saturated area and the 2 outside of APPACAS are better aligned with my career goals. However, like you mentioned, licensure is a priority at this stage and I think I'm likely to accept the sure thing over a gamble.

Hi all -

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but SDN won't let me create a new thread and I thought folks in here might know the answer.

I'm wondering what alternatives there are to gaining clinical licensure than by completing a Post-Doc?

I hope to ultimately live in a certain city (have a partner who cannot leave the area) - There are two research-heavy postdocs in the area (I'm clinically-oriented), a Psychiatric Center that does not employ Associate Psychologists (only Licensed Psychologists), and a post-doc at a UCC (I'm still waiting to hear back re: pre-doctoral internships; I interviewed at sites with inpatient experiences, and imagine UCC postdoc sites would accept applicants who completed pre-doctoral internships at UCCs).

How can I find sites in that city with opportunities to receive supervised clinical hours since a Post Doc may not be the option?

Thank you -

Hi all -

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but SDN won't let me create a new thread and I thought folks in here might know the answer.

I'm wondering what alternatives there are to gaining clinical licensure than by completing a Post-Doc?

I hope to ultimately live in a certain city (have a partner who cannot leave the area) - There are two research-heavy postdocs in the area (I'm clinically-oriented), a Psychiatric Center that does not employ Associate Psychologists (only Licensed Psychologists), and a post-doc at a UCC (I'm still waiting to hear back re: pre-doctoral internships; I interviewed at sites with inpatient experiences, and imagine UCC postdoc sites would accept applicants who completed pre-doctoral internships at UCCs).

How can I find sites in that city with opportunities to receive supervised clinical hours since a Post Doc may not be the option?

Thank you -

If the job postings aren't being listed, you could try directly contacting individual practices to see if folks there would be willing to supervise you. Just be sure to read up on the state's licensing laws so you'll know exactly how much supervision is required. Getting some type of contract in place ahead of time would also be advisable, since you'll likely need to have one or more psychologists fill out paperwork for you when you apply for licensure attesting to their having supervised you. And be sure the folks filling out said paperwork meet the state's requirements (e.g., I want to say the state I'm licensed in required that folks completing the attestation forms be licensed for at least 2 or 3 years).

I'm in a similar situation with positions operating outside APPACAS. My TD recommended I let the other sites know the dates I'll be interviewing and the dates offers will be made. Although the other sites are not bound to make reciprocal offers, the TD thinks they may if they like me :)

I'm planning on waiting the rest of this week out and then notifying the other sites of my status on Monday. All the positions I've applied for are in a saturated area and the 2 outside of APPACAS are better aligned with my career goals. However, like you mentioned, licensure is a priority at this stage and I think I'm likely to accept the sure thing over a gamble.

I can relate as well. I had one interview before the APPA CAS applications were even due, let alone before I could get interview offers. I think it's very important to have a ranking list as early as possible, and just continue to revise it as you move through the process. I ended up having to make the decision between taking the "sure thing" at a very solid site vs. gamble and wait to see if I received an interview and offer at a different one. It is definitely anxiety-provoking.