2015 SOAP stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoTalentGasClown

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Again, congrats to all who matched! I was looking at the SOAP stats and it looks like there are 49 unfilled spots this year, so even if people are scrambling (SOAPing?), I would think they have a good shot of matching.

ev.owa

Members don't see this ad.

Again, congrats to all who matched! I was looking at the SOAP stats and it looks like there are 49 unfilled spots this year, so even if people are scrambling (SOAPing?), I would think they have a good shot of matching.

ev.owa

You missed 37 advanced positions, the 49 are categorical only.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know who has unmatched spots? I know that this is essentially asking "Are you eligible for SOAP", but I'm curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know who has unmatched spots? I know that this is essentially asking "Are you eligible for SOAP", but I'm curious.

It's a violation for people who are SOAPing to share which programs have unmatched spots at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Aren't these numbers similar to last year's unfilled spots?

Aren't these numbers similar to last year's unfilled spots?
If I remember correctly I believe the total number of spots available after the match last year was right around 60 (maybe a little less). So it sounds like it is slightly higher this year.

We will learn which programs after SOAP is completed and the results are published. I wonder if there are any big name programs like last year (B&W, BID, Cornell).

Couple in programs I know. One is in the northeast. Other is in south east with advanced slot (s) opened.

If I remember correctly I believe the total number of spots available after the match last year was right around 60 (maybe a little less). So it sounds like it is slightly higher this year.

We will learn which programs after SOAP is completed and the results are published. I wonder if there are any big name programs like last year (B&W, BID, Cornell).

I read some programs (not big names) like to play the system and purposefully get a few unfilled spots by not ranking many, so unmatched applicants from other competitive specialties will soap into gas.

I read some programs (not big names) like to play the system and purposefully get a few unfilled spots by not ranking many, so unmatched applicants from other competitive specialties will soap into gas.
That approach would have a lot of risks. I would never choose an ortho candidate that did not match over a very good anesthesiology candidate. My fear would be that they would jump ship if an opportunity arose and you (or they) have no idea if they will be a good fit or even enjoy anesthesiology.
Conversely, I would take someone who was switching from another specialty (if they were leaving of their own accord) because they have actually experienced that specialty and came to the conclusion that it was not the one they desired for a career. People in SOAP are making snap decisions due to very few options.

Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program. It is a second, third, and fourth round match that replaced the scramble. From what I can tell, you want no part of it as an applicant or a program.

Hey everyone! Did anyone SOAP into an anesthesia program on this thread?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm still curious, do we know what programs had the empty slots? SOAP is long over so this should all be fair game for discussion now.

I dont see the info we were able to view on matchday on NRMP.org. I would upload a link to download the PDF if someone would verify that its ok for me to do so.

Last edited:
cat:
1 jmh
4 loyola-il
2 kansas-wichita
3 umass
1 uh-columbia-MO
1 suny stonybrook
1 CWR-UH
5 mcw

adv:
2 u of az
4 mcg
4 advocate
3 loyola-il
6 rush
3 baystate
1 umass
3 wayne state
2 rutgers rwj
2 st barnabas
5 maimo
2 suny brooklyn
2 CWR metro health
1 ohio state
4 geisinger
1 vandy

res:
1 ucsf
1 yale
1 u of fl-shands
1 advocate
1 rush
1 tufts
1 umass
6 wayne state
2 st barnabas
1 mt sinai/SLR
1 baylor

anes/research
1 u of fl-shands

anes/FAP
1 tufts

anes/CCM/periop leadership
2 CWR-uh

cat:
1 jmh
4 loyola-il
2 kansas-wichita
3 umass
1 uh-columbia-MO
1 suny stonybrook
1 CWR-UH
5 mcw

adv:
2 u of az
4 mcg
4 advocate
3 loyola-il
6 rush
3 baystate
1 umass
3 wayne state
2 rutgers rwj
2 st barnabas
5 maimo
2 suny brooklyn
2 CWR metro health
1 ohio state
4 geisinger
1 vandy

res:
1 ucsf
1 yale
1 u of fl-shands
1 advocate
1 rush
1 tufts
1 umass
6 wayne state
2 st barnabas
1 mt sinai/SLR
1 baylor

anes/research
1 u of fl-shands

anes/FAP
1 tufts

2 CWR-uh

whats the difference between res and anes/res?

cat:
1 jmh
4 loyola-il
2 kansas-wichita
3 umass
1 uh-columbia-MO
1 suny stonybrook
1 CWR-UH
5 mcw

adv:
2 u of az
4 mcg
4 advocate
3 loyola-il
6 rush
3 baystate
1 umass
3 wayne state
2 rutgers rwj
2 st barnabas
5 maimo
2 suny brooklyn
2 CWR metro health
1 ohio state
4 geisinger
1 vandy

res:
1 ucsf
1 yale
1 u of fl-shands
1 advocate
1 rush
1 tufts
1 umass
6 wayne state
2 st barnabas
1 mt sinai/SLR
1 baylor

anes/research
1 u of fl-shands

anes/FAP
1 tufts

2 CWR-uh

This is what's still available? Or what's already filled? Family friend is looking for a spot. (And if any program directors are reading, please PM me! This guy would be a great addition to your program!)

This is what's still available? Or what's already filled? Family friend is looking for a spot. (And if any program directors are reading, please PM me! This guy would be a great addition to your program!)

After match, pre soap. . Most probably filled in the soap

cat:
1 jmh
4 loyola-il
2 kansas-wichita
3 umass
1 uh-columbia-MO
1 suny stonybrook
1 CWR-UH
5 mcw

adv:
2 u of az
4 mcg
4 advocate
3 loyola-il
6 rush
3 baystate
1 umass
3 wayne state
2 rutgers rwj
2 st barnabas
5 maimo
2 suny brooklyn
2 CWR metro health
1 ohio state
4 geisinger
1 vandy

res:
1 ucsf
1 yale
1 u of fl-shands
1 advocate
1 rush
1 tufts
1 umass
6 wayne state
2 st barnabas
1 mt sinai/SLR
1 baylor

anes/research
1 u of fl-shands

anes/FAP
1 tufts

2 CWR-uh

Is this for 2015? Where did you find these results?

The amount of open slots at Loyola is pretty shocking. Looking at their website it looks like they've been averaging 12/yr with 10 current PGY-1s. Based on those numbers they filled just over half their categorical spots and none of their advanced. The 6 slots at Rush.... I think that's been already discussed in threads from last year so I'm not going to rehash it ;). What about UMass? I don't know anything about the program but is there a reason they consistently have open slots? It looks like they had 7 open spots last year too. Maryland seems to have gotten their act together going from 6 open last year to none this year.
And 8 empty slots at NYC programs?! That's not what I would have expected based on how often I hear people volunteering to cut off their left foot so that they can live with six roommates in a sprawling 400sqft windowless concrete box in Manhattan.

Reactions: 2 users
The amount of open slots at Loyola is pretty shocking. Looking at their website it looks like they've been averaging 12/yr with 10 current PGY-1s. Based on those numbers they filled just over half their categorical spots and none of their advanced. The 6 slots at Rush.... I think that's been already discussed in threads from last year so I'm not going to rehash it ;). What about UMass? I don't know anything about the program but is there a reason they consistently have open slots? It looks like they had 7 open spots last year too. Maryland seems to have gotten their act together going from 6 open last year to none this year.
And 8 empty slots at NYC programs?! That's not what I would have expected based on how often I hear people volunteering to cut off their left foot so that they can live with six roommates in a sprawling 400sqft windowless concrete box in Manhattan.

I talked to umd for 20 min, the pd and the apd at asa and even wrote them a letter of interest and they still wouldnt give me an interview. With half their previous class being soapers I was pretty surprised how picky or indifferent they were with my interest.

Maimo is a workhorse hellhole. They have essentially no didactics. Even the chief resident said during his presentation that his top 3/4 choices were all manhattan programs and he was upset he matched at maimo, but its been ok. THe location isnt the best being a little further out in bk. Not a surprise they only filled half.

UMass claims they don't rank anyone they don't absolutely love and that's the reason they have open spots (but then fill during soap...) I think it's more related to the interview experience. PD was cynical, old PD asked inappropriate questions, one guy interviewed me for five minutes until he finally believed me that I wasn't from Texas and he had the wrong file. Residents seemed tired, and generally uninterested in us. I wouldn't say anyone was rude (aside from one particular resident) but add all those little things up and I ranked them dead last.

Also I think they're in a bit of a vicious cycle. Not filling makes people wary which probably makes them rank umass lower which equals not filling....round and around it goes.

I also had an off-putting experience at UMass on my interview day. An applicant asked the PD if all the CA-1's had passed the ABA Basic exam. She basically told us that yes, one person failed but this person had a learning disability of some sort, and the PD knew this resident had a learning disability and had urged this person to get help with it prior to the exam but the resident refused to do so. She went on to say that no changes would be made to didactics because the program was essentially blameless, and this resident's failure was all their own doing. Now all of this may have been factually true, but it was still the wrong answer as far as I was concerned. The tone was way off, and it told me everything I needed to know.

I also interviewed with another staff member who I thought was a bit of a schmuck for reasons I won't go into. The chief resident and another CA-3 I interviewed with both seemed really nice and smart, but two questionable staff plus four years in Worcester put this place wayyyyy down on my list. I would take the concrete box in Manhattan any day over 3 bedrooms and a picket fence there. No offense.

5 from MCW for categorical kind of amazed me, although I heard some major trouble brewing over in Milwaukee. Loyola not filling doesn't surprise me as they weren't very friendly at the ASA, which is amazing since it's pretty easy to fake it for a few hours.

I would second grateful in UMass as friend had similar experience interviewing there.

UMass claims they don't rank anyone they don't absolutely love and that's the reason they have open spots (but then fill during soap...) I think it's more related to the interview experience. PD was cynical, old PD asked inappropriate questions, one guy interviewed me for five minutes until he finally believed me that I wasn't from Texas and he had the wrong file. Residents seemed tired, and generally uninterested in us. I wouldn't say anyone was rude (aside from one particular resident) but add all those little things up and I ranked them dead last.

Also I think they're in a bit of a vicious cycle. Not filling makes people wary which probably makes them rank umass lower which equals not filling....round and around it goes.

So they don't rank anyone they don't absolutely love so that they can pick up people that no one else wanted and that they don't know anything about? Makes sense

There's a good chance this is true. Unfortunately the only thing that can be done in these situations is significant regime change at the top, preferably bringing in an outsider. It will probably make a lot of people grumpy in the department, but if the dept/division chair cares about his/her program, then a publicized shake-up is the only cure. At this point, it would be hard to argue that applicants would have any more trepidation jumping in to a new system than they would with the current one.