2016 - 2017 Nontrad M-1 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When does everyone start school? And is anyone doing a summer (pre-orientation) program at their school?

August 4th.

Only thing I'm doing pre-matriculation is enjoying my funemployment...cheaply.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
When does everyone start school? And is anyone doing a summer (pre-orientation) program at their school?

August 15th. There's been a summer reading program. Fairly straight forward. Trying to learn some Spanish on my own. Got Rosetta Stone.

I'm typing this post in English so that should tell you how successful I am so far...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
August 15th. There's been a summer reading program. Fairly straight forward. Trying to learn some Spanish on my own. Got Rosetta Stone.

I'm typing this post in English so that should tell you how successful I am so far...

Try the duolingo app for Spanish - it's free and I'm finding it easy and fun and am actually learning a thing or two from it!

My school just sent out a ton of info about orientation and logistics. This is getting real, guys... :wideyed::eek:

I'm working on getting seven transcripts paid for and sent out (again). Why oh why couldn't we just pay AMCAS to forward them on.

Reactions: 2 users
Rising M2 nontrad here who pretty much lives in the allo forum now a days. My only advice is to enjoy the time off for the next month and a half while you can. Once M1 starts its going to feel like the movie 300 where the information you are required to learn is the never ending Persian army being thrown at you and your 300 classmates.

Reactions: 3 users
warming up again for more hoop jumping after the post interview lull....I also am finding out (while out of the country) that the type of TB testing I got is not accepted by my school :(

I'm working on getting seven transcripts paid for and sent out (again). Why oh why couldn't we just pay AMCAS to forward them on.
I feel you. I had to pay my undergrad institution to send a transcript to... themselves??? (I'm going to my undergrad's medical school.)

Hello, fellow old person MS1's lol, for me the hardest part has been figuring out maintaining 2 households for a semester as my wife and children aren't relocating till january.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, fellow old person MS1's lol, for me the hardest part has been figuring out maintaining 2 households for a semester as my wife and children aren't relocating till january.

I'm not in med school yet, but I have PCSed a few times and have had to leave my family behind for a while due to relocating immediately prior to a deployment, training programs where the Navy would not move them, etc. If you have any general questions about it, feel free to PM me.

Officially unemployed now, for the first time since 1999. Very strange feeling.

Reactions: 5 users
So I'm a week into my program. I'm so pumped. It is still pretty surreal. Enjoy the summer everyone, but this fall school is going to be awesome!

Reactions: 6 users
Ditto on this.
Except when the spouse and furry bambinos will be able to move is TBD.
Then trying to move them in the middle of the school year? --> My biggest fear
On a lighter note, I only have like, ten more days of work or less!

Pre-med lurker confession:
I have read every one of the 8 million posts on your application cycle thread (congrats, everyone) - I feel like I know you guys, in a creepy internet stalker way. :laugh:
You guys are awesome - love the sense of humor and the support you give each other. The whole thing is very inspiring to (slightly anxious and neurotic) premeds who are a few years behind you. Good luck starting M1, and thanks for letting us learn from your experiences! (I know I'm not the only one.. You other lurkers out there know who you are..)

Ok, back into lurkdom :whoa:

Reactions: 4 users
I have read every one of the 8 million posts on your application cycle thread (congrats, everyone) - I feel like I know you guys, in a creepy internet stalker way. :laugh:
You guys are awesome - love the sense of humor and the support you give each other. The whole thing is very inspiring to (slightly anxious and neurotic) premeds who are a few years behind you. Good luck starting M1, and thanks for letting us learn from your experiences! (I know I'm not the only one.. You other lurkers out there know who you are..)

:D

Hello lurker! Good luck in the future!

In M1 news, I'm all moved and enjoying my break, woo. Having lived in an extreme rural area the last six years or so and out of the country for six before that, I realized I had no working knowledge of all these How to City apps like Groupon, Meetup, Uber, digital grocery coupons, etc...my friends are now calling me Kimmy Schmidt :p

What a nice thing to say!! Thank you. Good luck to you!

:D

Hello lurker! Good luck in the future!

In M1 news, I'm all moved and enjoying my break, woo. Having lived in an extreme rural area the last six years or so and out of the country for six before that, I realized I had no working knowledge of all these How to City apps like Groupon, Meetup, Uber, digital grocery coupons, etc...my friends are now calling me Kimmy Schmidt :p

giphy.gif

How did I not find this thread until right now? I am so relieved to be here! My people!

Best of luck to all you non trads starting now and also to those in the application phase. Wouldn't trade my non trad path for anything.

We have 3 days of orientation and then study starts at Aug 1st. Excited, but also have really strong non-trad jitters if such things even exist. Just worried about how it all will go, will I be able to keep up with my classmates, a bit scared of vast amount of material and memorization that is going to come down on my poor head soon. :) Also, I'm really profane as to how to approach or how to find your own study style, what works best for you? How do you do it? Just simply try everything and see what works best or there are some guidelines already tried and true and put in writing and systematized by our fellow predecessors? :bag:

We have 3 days of orientation and then study starts at Aug 1st. Excited, but also have really strong non-trad jitters if such things even exist. Just worried about how it all will go, will I be able to keep up with my classmates, a bit scared of vast amount of material and memorization that is going to come down on my poor head soon. :) Also, I'm really profane as to how to approach or how to find your own study style, what works best for you? How do you do it? Just simply try everything and see what works best or there are some guidelines already tried and true and put in writing and systematized by our fellow predecessors? :bag:

I already know I'm going to have a period of floundering while I figure out what works best for the volume I'll need to be learning.

I found out in nursing school that something that really helps me is if I explain the material to another person. Even if I'm not an expert on it yet myself, working through it aloud with the mindset that I need to help someone else understand it makes my brain process things in a way that I then retain quite well. Hopefully my (also M1) roommate will put up with me while I see if this works for medical school ;)

There are many, many posts on SDN about study strategies if you search in the allo forum. Everyone's got different ideas, so try the ones that speak to you and be open to your own methods too.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everyone in your first year! I'm so excited for you all.

I ended up deferring my admission to 2017. There are a few projects I want to work on in the next year, and I have several major family/friend milestones that I would not be able to participate in if I were in school. And, it gives me a bit of time to recharge after an exhausting application process...

You guys. I've been in school for a week. While it feels overwhelming, it also feels amazing and I feel like I'm finally where I was meant to be.

You're all going to kick butt.

I start in 13 days. 13 days. I'm dying. Cannot get going fast enough.