**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yall I''m just dumbfounded right now. been have a rough rough week financially and was placed on a weird "hold" from a school because I didn't pass their initial screen for a secondary.
Yesterday I took a HUGE gamble and emailed that school and explained my situation and also I was listening to the radio and it said "believe that God has favored you, and expect great things whether it be personal or financial"
I thought in my head well in my situation money isn't just going to appear.
This morning not only did I receive the secondary I was waiting on but money did actually appear in my account.
There are no words, I was on the phone with financial aid office all last week and was told that I wouldn't get my refund until the 23rd which was bad because I needed books but also because didn't have food like was down to one potato. On phone with financial aid office now and they can't explain why the refund came early she said it doesn't usually happen like that and no special exceptions were made on my account.
Hoping this same FAVOR translates into interview invites.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Yall I''m just dumbfounded right now. been have a rough rough week financially and was placed on a weird "hold" from a school because I didn't pass their initial screen for a secondary.
Yesterday I took a HUGE gamble and emailed that school and explained my situation and also I was listening to the radio and it said "believe that God has favored you, and expect great things whether it be personal or financial"
I thought in my head well in my situation money isn't just going to appear.
This morning not only did I receive the secondary I was waiting on but money did actually appear in my account.
There are no words, I was on the phone with financial aid office all last week and was told that I wouldn't get my refund until the 23rd which was bad because I needed books but also because didn't have food like was down to one potato. On phone with financial aid office now and they can't explain why the refund came early she said it doesn't usually happen like that and no special exceptions were made on my account.
Hoping this same FAVOR translates into interview invites.
Amen! Y'alL this is the most uplifting thing I've heard all day! The level of Divine favour on this thread is unreal. For every single person that contributes to or reads this thread, I pray these miracles for you too!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys,

Not to be the odd one out. And believe me I understand spirituality and religion in minority communities as I've done research on it for 4 years. However, I must say this, please keep in mind others who may not share your religious beliefs and/or faith. Overt religious texts can have alienating effects on those that do not share your beliefs and can discourage them from participating in the thread. Everyone has freedom of speech of course, and you should all give thanks to whoever/whatever you believe in. It's just a gentle suggestion that we be aware of others beliefs or non-beliefs, so that everyone can feel comfortable and safe.
I'm sure many of you have noticed the level of religiosity in the URM side of the forums is usually many times over that of the main forum. Given the role of spirituality in minority communities, especially black and Latino/Hispanic, this is not surprising at all. I just want minorities of all colors, religions, and backgrounds to feel surrounded by love and support, which is why I made sure to bring this thread back for our application season.

I hope no one takes offense to this message. I'd like to think of myself as very self aware. And as someone who has attended religious schools including Christian, Muslim, Hindu and Catholic, I'm very keen to things like this I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Umm....you most definitely have more than a chance!
I hope so haha! Forgot to add that I have 60 hrs of shadowing too. Hopefully I can update my comment with II's! Pretty worried that I'm applying too late also but I guess there's nothing I can do to change that at this point.

Hey guys,

Not to be the odd one out. And believe me I understand spirituality and religion in minority communities as I've done research on it for 4 years. However, I must say this, please keep in mind others who may not share your religious beliefs and/or faith. Overt religious texts can have alienating effects on those that do not share your beliefs and can discourage them from participating in the thread. Everyone has freedom of speech of course, and you should all give thanks to whoever/whatever you believe in. It's just a gentle suggestion that we be aware of others beliefs or non-beliefs, so that everyone can feel comfortable and safe.
I'm sure many of you have noticed the level of religiosity in the URM side of the forums is usually many times over that of the main forum. Given the role of spirituality in minority communities, especially black and Latino/Hispanic, this is not surprising at all. I just want minorities of all colors, religions, and backgrounds to feel surrounded by love and support, which is why I made sure to bring this thread back for our application season.

I hope no one takes offense to this message. I'd like to think of myself as very self aware. And as someone who has attended religious schools including Christian, Muslim, Hindu and Catholic, I'm very keen to things like this I guess.

You are very right! Sorry if I made anyone feel alienated, but I do wish the best for everyone on this thread!

Reactions: 1 user
I hope so haha! Forgot to add that I have 60 hrs of shadowing too. Hopefully I can update my comment with II's! Pretty worried that I'm applying too late also but I guess there's nothing I can do to change that at this point.
From what I've seen on past years' threads, September is still not too late!

Reactions: 1 users

Sounds like you applied to a good number of schools, as long as it's well-balanced you should definitely have success this application cycle.

Hey guys,

I kinda get what your trying to say. For what it's worth I'm not overly religious. I have very non mainstream views when it come to mainstream religion The part I left out was that when I said "money isnt going to just magically appear" it was a sarcastic though to my self and then I turned off the radio and went to bed.
That's why I said this morning I'm dumbfounded.
If anyone felt triggered by my post wasn't my intention. Just shared because it was the craziest thing that's happen to me recently. And although I don't belong to any one religion i personally beleive there is a God and/or spiritual presence but you all should believe and be thankful to whatever person, thing, spiritual person, etc that you want.
Lastly my post is a singular experience not an agenda to push either way.
Again I'm just thankful it happened and it my choice to believe it was a spiritual and/or God thing.
Good luck with y'all cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like you applied to a good number of schools, as long as it's well-balanced you should definitely have success this application cycle.

From what I've seen on past years' threads, September is still not too late!

That's great to hear. I'm also a bit worried about getting screened out because of my uGPA but I'm hoping my MCAT/EC's/Non-traditional story help bump up my app just a bit. Thanks for the support!

I kinda get what your trying to say. For what it's worth I'm not overly religious. I have very non mainstream views when it come to mainstream religion The part I left out was that when I said "money isnt going to just magically appear" it was a sarcastic though to my self and then I turned off the radio and went to bed.
That's why I said this morning I'm dumbfounded.
If anyone felt triggered by my post wasn't my intention. Just shared because it was the craziest thing that's happen to me recently. And although I don't belong to any one religion i personally beleive there is a God and/or spiritual presence but you all should believe and be thankful to whatever person, thing, spiritual person, etc that you want.
Lastly my post is a singular experience not an agenda to push either way.
Again I'm just thankful it happened and it my choice to believe it was a spiritual and/or God thing.
Good luck with y'all cycle.

I was not directing to you specifically. Just the overall environment. As I said everyone should feel free to praise/thank whoever/whatever they wish. It doesn't hurt to be mindful of others is all I am saying.

-3.1 bcpm and overall, 491 mcat
-ER Scribe for 2 years and genetic/pre-eclampsia research
-Organic chemistry research, IHS Extern for 2 Summers, and multiple volunteer hours in a Residency

-NA, and grew up on a reservation.

-Do I have a chance at any decent International Medical School? If so, which one(s)?

-3.1 bcpm and overall, 491 mcat
-ER Scribe for 2 years and genetic/pre-eclampsia research
-Organic chemistry research, IHS Extern for 2 Summers, and multiple volunteer hours in a Residency

-NA, and grew up on a reservation.

-Do I have a chance at any decent International Medical School? If so, which one(s)?

Like Caribbean?? Sure, they're for profit so mostly anyone does. My suggestion though is to abandon that thought.

Moving forward, are you hellbent on applying this year? If not, why not try to raise that MCAT to at least 500?

Furthermore, are you completely averse to DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Like Caribbean?? Sure, they're for profit so mostly anyone does. My suggestion though is to abandon that thought.

Moving forward, are you hellbent on applying this year? If not, why not try to raise that MCAT to at least 500?

Furthermore, are you completely averse to DO?

I'd like to apply this cycle and I'm not opposed to going DO, however, I believe my MCAT is far too low for any US Medical School. Also, I'm referring to any foreign Medical School.

I'd like to apply this cycle and I'm not opposed to going DO, however, I believe my MCAT is far too low for any US Medical School. Also, I'm referring to any foreign Medical School.

You may be right.

Try to peruse the WAMC threads with similar MCAT scores. My gut is telling me that a retake is really in order. Perhaps someone else could chime in but I believe next cycle is your best bet as a 491 is around a 16/17 on the old test.

Did you feel that was your best effort? Is a year jump start worth it when combined with uncertainty about your future?

I'm assuming you'd want to practice in the U.S. which is why I am bringing that up.

You may be right.

Try to peruse the WAMC threads with similar MCAT scores. My gut is telling me that a retake is really in order. Perhaps someone else could chime in but I believe next cycle is your best bet as a 491 is around a 16/17 on the old test.

Did you feel that was your best effort? Is a year jump start worth it when combined with uncertainty about your future?

I'm assuming you'd want to practice in the U.S. which is why I am bringing that up.

It wasn't my best effort and I know I could do better, just need more time and better practice. I'd like to practice in the US, however, I'm not opposed to foreign schools. My goal is to become the best physician that I can be. A lot of what you get out of med school is a result of what you put in. The best docs don't always come from the best schools.

It wasn't my best effort and I know I could do better, just need more time and better practice. I'd like to practice in the US, however, I'm not opposed to foreign schools. My goal is to become the best physician that I can be. A lot of what you get out of med school is a result of what you put in. The best docs don't always come from the best schools.

Definitely. I'm not saying the best schools and while that may be true, resources matter. The foreign schools you'll likely land in won't allow you to reach your full potential (my opinion).

I'll leave it at this: don't settle for something that is below your best.

Definitely. I'm not saying the best schools and while that may be true, resources matter. The foreign schools you'll likely land in won't allow you to reach your full potential (my opinion).

I'll leave it at this: don't settle for something that is below your best.

Thanks for the input. I'll likely have another year off to study and raise my MCAT score considerably.

check out my PM

Two II's this morning! My first!! So excited!! Wanted to share :)

Reactions: 13 users
Thanks for the input. I'll likely have another year off to study and raise my MCAT score considerably.

Yeah definitely try to retake. No matter what international school you go to it'll be ridiculously annoying to get a residency spot in the US never mind a competitive one.

Edit: especially if you know you can do better!!

Hi everyone! Long time lurker... decided to post today. The success stories on here make me so happy and proud of y'all!

As for me...
Black female (Ghanaian)
Disadvantaged status
3.6 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA
501 MCAT ()
Decent ECs and clinical experiences
3 years research experience (biochem)
Obtained LORs from profs I was close with for a few years and my lab PI

I'm nervous about my MCAT score (poor time management) but we'll see. Good luck everyone and keep up this positive and inspiring thread!

When the chair of your committee asks you if you applied to DO school lolz. Have faith in me dam it ...........

Reactions: 4 users
Committee letter in now. I officially will stop being a nervous wreck because everything is out of my hand at this moment.

That's the only logical move that you can make. Good luck and kill the next one!

When the chair of your committee asks you if you applied to DO school lolz. Have faith in me dam it ...........

As a DO myself , I will tell you to be careful with that attitude. Are there flags noted in your app because they would say that for a reason.....better to be a physician than not.

FYI- Had an allo acceptance as well multiple osteopathic ones. DO won out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

As a DO myself , I will tell you to be careful with that attitude. Are there flags noted in your app because they would say that for a reason.....better to be a physician than not.

FYI- Had an allo acceptance as well multiple osteopathic ones. DO won out.

There isnt any attitude, my grades arent amazing but more than good enough for a MD acceptance, thats the reason she asked. I have learned long ago to not pay attention to my committee because they told me incorrect stuff plenty of times and encourage kids to go to the Caribbean for school. I am happy that you are content with your decision but I will be choosing a MD acceptance over a DO if I am able. IF this cycle is unsuccessful I will consider adding a few Do's

There isnt any attitude, my grades arent amazing but more than good enough for a MD acceptance, thats the reason she asked. I have learned long ago to not pay attention to my committee because they told me incorrect stuff plenty of times and encourage kids to go to the Caribbean for school. I am happy that you are content with your decision but I will be choosing a MD acceptance over a DO if I am able. IF this cycle is unsuccessful I will consider adding a few Do's

I don't know your MCAT which I guess I should have asked . Anyway just trying to help someone avoid making a 250,000 mistake from not exploring all options.....(minus the Caribbean although I know plenty of good docs from there).

My darlings :love:

Here's to hoping for a new week of IIs and interview prep (and by prep I mean absolute panic and hysteria). May we charm adcoms into admitting us one smile at a time.

Reactions: 11 users
My darlings :love:

Here's to hoping for a new week of IIs and interview prep (and by prep I mean absolute panic and hysteria). May we charm adcoms into admitting us one smile at a time.
Totally with you on the prep thing. For me it's usually 90% imagining everything that could possibly go wrong and 10% actually preparing what I want to say haha. My problem is I get so happy and excited I sort of word vomit everything and then realize I missed a good opportunity to highlight something :thinking:

Just wanted to stop in and say hello/wow I wish I knew this thread was here all along. You guys are amazing and so unbelievably welcoming. I have to be up in 5 hours to volunteer but I will definitely provide an introductory post tomorrow night, however, I just had to say something.

Reactions: 8 users
Hello everyone! I posted last night but decided that I wanted a new username etc. for this cycle. Overcame a hell of a lot this past year so I guess it just adds to this whole notion of a fresh start. So I'm AA/Haitian and really glad I found this thread, here's my "about me" if you will...
uGPA~3.2; gGPA-3.9
MCAT: Huge jump from 42nd ---> 90th percentile
EC's, I'll summarize/ talk about only the most important ones:
~300 hours of clinical volunteering hospital and free clinic
-400 hours of shadowing a variety of doctors/specialties
~1500 hours of research (~500 independent research, 1000 in labs), one poster presentation, one manuscript fighting for publication (please hurry)
~300 hours volunteering with a non-profit
~150 hours volunteering with the homeless
-Executive board for diversity club
-VP of fraternity
-2000 or so hours as a teaching assistant (3 years) for anatomy, clinical neuroanatomy, clinical neuroscience.
-2 years in a leadership/service academy

One thing I saw yesterday while I was awkwardly lurking is in reference to @Meowgical. Someone mentioned that some schools would average your score to a 504. I respectfully and non-argumentatively disagree. I did some reading on forums/schools' websites about averaging, superscoring, etc. The general consensus was (and I undoubtedly agree) that it is of course always best to get it done in one shot. Then of course the rules we all know and love (at most take it 3 times, don't do the same or go down blah blah blah) however the only school that was confirmed to definitely average scores is Jefferson. An overwhelming majority look or give the greatest weight to your most recent, a small minority give weight to your highest score, and VERY few superscore n= maxiumum 3 schools. Anecdotal evidence of interviewees with large increases stated that adcoms never asked why it took them 1 or 2 retakes but how/what did they change in order to improve. That being said all schools will see both scores and the person picking up your (our) application may have their own idiosyncrasies. But does your increase fit with the rest of your app? Did you maybe do a post-bac in between or retake classes or change to a prep course? They understand life happens, as long as you're honest and forthcoming you will be fine. All of this to say don't let a retake limit where you apply, a couple of my friends got into their first choice after retaking 1 or 2 times without an issue. Sorry this post dragged on so long but I'm looking forward to this cycle, best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone! I posted last night but decided that I wanted a new username etc. for this cycle. Overcame a hell of a lot this past year so I guess it just adds to this whole notion of a fresh start. So I'm AA/Haitian and really glad I found this thread, here's my "about me" if you will...
uGPA~3.2; gGPA-3.9
~1500 hours of research (~500 independent research, 1000 in labs), one poster presentation, one manuscript fighting for publication (please hurry)
-VP of fraternity
-2000 or so hours as a teaching assistant (3 years) for anatomy, clinical neuroanatomy, clinical neuroscience.

One thing I saw yesterday while I was awkwardly lurking is in reference to @Meowgical. Someone mentioned that some schools would average your score to a 504. I respectfully and non-argumentatively disagree. I did some reading on forums/schools' websites about averaging, superscoring, etc. The general consensus was (and I undoubtedly agree) that it is of course always best to get it done in one shot. Then of course the rules we all know and love (at most take it 3 times, don't do the same or go down blah blah blah) however the only school that was confirmed to definitely average scores is Jefferson. An overwhelming majority look or give the greatest weight to your most recent, a small minority give weight to your highest score, and VERY few superscore n= maxiumum 3 schools. Anecdotal evidence of interviewees with large increases stated that adcoms never asked why it took them 1 or 2 retakes but how/what did they change in order to improve. That being said all schools will see both scores and the person picking up your (our) application may have their own idiosyncrasies. But does your increase fit with the rest of your app? Did you maybe do a post-bac in between or retake classes or change to a prep course? They understand life happens, as long as you're honest and forthcoming you will be fine. All of this to say don't let a retake limit where you apply, a couple of my friends got into their first choice after retaking 1 or 2 times without an issue. Sorry this post dragged on so long but I'm looking forward to this cycle, best of luck to everyone!

Nice, looking good.

I have yet to be questioned about taking the MCAT 3x. One interviewer even looked at my grades, stated that I was capable, and proceeded to set the file aside so that we could just talk. SDN loves to make people panic over nothing. I may end up being questioned at some point, but as you stated, I will chalk it up to the individual as opposed to the institution.

uGPA~3.2; gGPA-3.9
-VP of fraternity

Dat leap from 42nd to 90th percentile tho...:wow: lol literally you sound competitive af. The IIs will start rolling in.

uGPA~3.2; gGPA-3.9
-VP of fraternity

In my opinion, you will get interviews! It comes down to applying smart and broadly. A lot of stuff said on SDN does not apply to everyone. All the best this cycle and kudos to you for overcoming the challenges you faced.

Dat leap from 42nd to 90th percentile tho...:wow: lol literally you sound competitive af. The IIs will start rolling in.
yeah when I got my score my dad said "son I've never heard you cry like that" I lost it lol but thank you, I really hope so.I saw your first post on here and like many people in this thread you are going to absolutely kill it this cycle.

In my opinion, you will get interviews! It comes down to applying smart and broadly. A lot of stuff said on SDN does not apply to everyone. All the best this cycle and kudos to you for overcoming the challenges you faced.

Thank you, I really appreciate the words of encouragement!

Hey guys,

Sorry to post this in the 2016-2017 thread, but I'm working on a school list for the 2017-2018 cycle. Here are a few of my stats:

- B.S. Public Health, minored in psychology
-cGPA: 3.51, sGPA: 3.20
-MCAT: 501
-New York resident
-URM (black female), first generation college

Extra curriculars/work:
-2 years working in school clinic
-2 years teaching high school health (volunteer + leadership position)
-2 years research, 2nd author publication
-1 medical mission trip in Panama (leadership position)
-Interned at free clinic for women & children
-500+ hours volunteering
-50 hours shadowing
-Won $500 in a case competition

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Also, congrats on all the great interview news!

Hey guys,

Sorry to post this in the 2016-2017 thread, but I'm working on a school list for the 2017-2018 cycle. Here are a few of my stats:

-New York resident

Extra curriculars/work:
-500+ hours volunteering
-50 hours shadowing

I would retake the MCAT if I were you. you will increase your chances by alot if you do so. If you apply with these grades you might get a few interviews but it will be a rough ride, I have a friend with similar numbers (504 MCAT and a 3.4 GPA) and he is having a rough ride at the moment. Just remember you are more than your grades and display that in your Personal Statement and essays. Thats what he is hoping for to help him out

I would retake the MCAT if I were you. you will increase your chances by alot if you do so. If you apply with these grades you might get a few interviews but it will be a rough ride, I have a friend with similar numbers (504 MCAT and a 3.4 GPA) and he is having a rough ride at the moment. Just remember you are more than your grades and display that in your Personal Statement and essays. Thats what he is hoping for to help him out

Thanks for the feedback! I'm really hoping my personal statement portrays my passion to adcoms, but if I don't do well in my cycle I will definitely re-take the MCAT. Out of curiosity, did your friend apply early? I'm hoping to have everything submitted by August next year and I heard early apps can help less than stellar stats.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm really hoping my personal statement portrays my passion to adcoms, but if I don't do well in my cycle I will definitely re-take the MCAT. Out of curiosity, did your friend apply early? I'm hoping to have everything submitted by August next year and I heard early apps can help less than stellar stats.

I wouldn't personally 'wait and see'. You have an entire year to go ahead and knock that out. I'm in a similar situation GPA wise but as a re-applicant, the interviews only started pouring in once I had a 512.

FYI I had a 28 previously. Early and a good personal statement will help, yes but the latter is subjective and I wouldn't bank on it. The former will only help so much.

(Writing is my strong suit and my PS was consistently praised in my previous cycles.)

I wouldn't personally 'wait and see'. You have an entire year to go ahead and knock that out. I'm in a similar situation GPA wise but as a re-applicant, the interviews only started pouring in once I had a 512.

FYI I had a 28 previously. Early and a good personal statement will help, yes but the latter is subjective and I wouldn't bank on it. The former will only help so much.

(Writing is my strong suit and my PS was consistently praised in my previous cycles.)

Ahhhh, I just hate the idea of re-taking the MCAT, but I guess that's what it'll take.

While I'm still here asking, does anyone have any DO schools in mind? I know my current stats are too low for MD, but maybe I'll get some feedback as is from DOs.

Ahhhh, I just hate the idea of re-taking the MCAT, but I guess that's what it'll take.

While I'm still here asking, does anyone have any DO schools in mind? I know my current stats are too low for MD, but maybe I'll get some feedback as is from DOs.
with those stats you would get multiple MD school acceptances. But if u have a year to improve I would suggest re-taking the MCAT so u can get in a MD. Dont make the MCAT + the scare of taking it again influence the rest of your life.

Hey Justaking,

STOP.

Absolutely retake your MCAT.

Why are you rushing this process? As you will undoubtedly hear as you submit yourself to this tiring, expensive, and remarkably random process, please keep in mind that, "Medicine is a marathon not a sprint."

Score greater than or equal to a 512, come back next year, apply early and get into a top 20 MD school or two or 20.

nice spectrum of ECs :)

Goodluck!

- CL

Hey guys,

-New York resident

Extra curriculars/work:
-500+ hours volunteering
-50 hours shadowing