**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Justaking,

STOP.

Absolutely retake your MCAT.

Why are you rushing this process? As you will undoubtedly hear as you submit yourself to this tiring, expensive, and remarkably random process, please keep in mind that, "Medicine is a marathon not a sprint."

Score greater than or equal to a 512, come back next year, apply early and get into a top 20 MD school or two or 20.

nice spectrum of ECs :)

Goodluck!

- CL
Sorry to butt in here, but if i have a 3.33 gpa in a really hard major and a 511 MCAT I could get into an MD school. I am URM as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't think my gpa is too low?

I think your MCAT and hopefully with a good application otherwise you will have success. You will need to apply broadly, HBCU low and mid tiers, and your reaches but for a URM with that MCAT you are in decent shape without having to do a post-bac/SMP to raise the gpa.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think your MCAT and hopefully with a good application otherwise you will have success. You will need to apply broadly, HBCU low and mid tiers, and your reaches but for a URM with that MCAT you are in decent shape without having to do a post-bac/SMP to raise the gpa.

HBCU? I am latino btw.

Is UW-Madison considered mid-tier? I am in state

Hi everyone. This has been a ridiculous week for me with traveling for interviews, prepping for exams, and work, so I had to "go off the grid" for a few days. I hope that this has been a successful week for you guys in terms of getting IIs and shining on your interview days.

I got out of one interview today and found an II in my inbox from Emory. I am really excited about this one. I wasn't even able to apply here, but my parents were kind enough to give me the $$ for the primary and secondary, and they have their own financial issues that they are dealing with.

It seems like several of us here are struggling with financing this application cycle in terms of paying for applications and interview travel, but it is inspiring to read the stories of people overcoming these obstacles and encouraging others. Applying to med school is a long and hard road, but it will all be worth it when that 1st acceptance comes in :).

Reactions: 3 users
ugghhh been completed at most places for 12 days now and I keep checking my email and its driving me crazy.

Reactions: 2 users
Had my first interview today! I am so relieved.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ugghhh been completed at most places for 12 days now and I keep checking my email and its driving me crazy.

Yea I check my email at least 50 times a day. It's insane

15 days here and same! Lol

So I think it was SydSing who hipped me to setting up email notifications so it eliminates the spasm-like checking of the gmail app lol it really works :laugh:

Had my first interview today! I am so relieved.

Yayay!! How'd it go? My first one is on Monday and I'm lowkey maybe highkey terrified.

Reactions: 1 user
So I think it was SydSing who hipped me to setting up email notifications so it eliminates the spasm-like checking of the gmail app lol it really works :laugh:

Yayay!! How'd it go? My first one is on Monday and I'm lowkey maybe highkey terrified.
I should have done that but I used my school email which is the email I use for everything in my life so if I set it for notifications I would keep getting them like crazy.

I thought it went well. It was an MMI so it was difficult to prepare for since no one knows what to expect in terms of the questions or scenarios. I did one mock MMI to prepare. The students were really nice and tried their best to calm you down beforehand. I thought I had good and substantive answers for the scenarios, except for one of them, but hopefully overall I did a good job. Sometimes you can feel like you did good, but you may not be accepted.

I should have done that but I used my school email which is the email I use for everything in my life so if I set it for notifications I would keep getting them like crazy.

I may be making this up but can't you make a folder then set a filter for the word 'interview' and finally set alerts for that particular folder?

I have notifications. My neuroticism level is just so high that I still refresh my email and check portals even though I know they will email any status change lol

I may be making this up but can't you make a folder then set a filter for the word 'interview' and finally set alerts for that particular folder?

I have Outlook with separate folders with different priority levels that allows this. However you either have to have established emails received or the sender in your contacts I think.

Hey guys,

Sorry to post this in the 2016-2017 thread, but I'm working on a school list for the 2017-2018 cycle. Here are a few of my stats:

- B.S. Public Health, minored in psychology
-cGPA: 3.51, sGPA: 3.20
-MCAT: 501
-New York resident
-URM (black female), first generation college

Extra curriculars/work:
-2 years working in school clinic
-2 years teaching high school health (volunteer + leadership position)
-2 years research, 2nd author publication
-1 medical mission trip in Panama (leadership position)
-Interned at free clinic for women & children
-500+ hours volunteering
-50 hours shadowing
-Won $500 in a case competition

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Also, congrats on all the great interview news!

Hey justaking,

I'm actually applying this cycle with similar stats. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey guys,

Sorry to post this in the 2016-2017 thread, but I'm working on a school list for the 2017-2018 cycle. Here are a few of my stats:

- B.S. Public Health, minored in psychology
-cGPA: 3.51, sGPA: 3.20
-MCAT: 501
-New York resident
-URM (black female), first generation college

Extra curriculars/work:
-2 years working in school clinic
-2 years teaching high school health (volunteer + leadership position)
-2 years research, 2nd author publication
-1 medical mission trip in Panama (leadership position)
-Interned at free clinic for women & children
-500+ hours volunteering
-50 hours shadowing
-Won $500 in a case competition

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Also, congrats on all the great interview news!

I applied with a 501 MCAT and this was my third score. I took the old one twice. My science GPA was higher though. I think if this was your first time taking it, you should increase your score.

Hey justaking,

I'm actually applying this cycle with similar stats. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good Luck! I know you will do well :).
I got seven interviews last cycle, but my primary app was submitted really late, October 3rd with a November/December completion date. With that said I hope you get more than eight or ten. The more the merrier!

This forum makes my heart smile ;)!

I applied with a 501 MCAT and this was my third score. I took the old one twice. My science GPA was higher though. I think if this was your first time taking it, you should increase your score.

Good Luck! I know you will do well :).
I got seven interviews last cycle, but my primary app was submitted really late, October 3rd with a November/December completion date. With that said I hope you get more than eight or ten. The more the merrier!

This forum makes my heart smile ;)!

You just made my day! :woot:

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Anyone noticed that we have twice the amount of pages as last year and not even 1/3 of the way through the app cycle!

Anyone noticed that we have twice the amount of pages as last year and not even 1/3 of the way through the app cycle!

I didn't, but am I surprised? No cus were all awesome af

It's great to see how active this thread is. It is nice distraction from the mandatory monthly anti-urm threads that infest the pre-allo forum. Thanks for starting up this year's thread.:)

Reactions: 5 users
Wishing for a week of II's for us all. Be great!

Reactions: 3 users
It's great to see how active this thread is. It is nice distraction from the mandatory monthly anti-urm threads that infest the pre-allo forum. Thanks for starting up this year's thread.:)

I'm always tempted to insert this picture on those threads.

B5BSVqH.png

Reactions: 11 users
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you guys know that we still have a long way to go so don't lose hope! I am confident everyone here is going to make it far in this process :)

For those that applied to Howard, I low-key heard they're getting things moving this week.

Keep those spam filters off ladies and gentleman.

II at Stony Brook. Woohoo!

Reactions: 8 users
II at Washington St. Louis, but unfortunately had to decline. I can neither afford it nor miss any more school. On the upside, I'm glad the traveling is almost over!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 users
II at Washington St. Louis, but unfortunately has to decline. I can neither afford it nor miss any more school. On the upside, I'm glad the traveling is almost over!

I'm sure it was a tough decision. But you've attended quite a few, I'm sure you are all set.

II at Washington St. Louis, but unfortunately has to decline. I can neither afford it nor miss any more school. On the upside, I'm glad the traveling is almost over!

I feel this on a spiritual level. My 4 day trip to Boston knocked the wind out of my wallet. At this point if I can get accepted to a school I like by October ending, I'm refusing to travel anymore lol

Reactions: 8 users
P. S. I like..miss you guys lol i hope everyone is kickingass&takingnames

Radio silence :( and worried my first communication will be a rejection which will crush me.

Anyone here have any tips on mmi?

Radio silence :( and worried my first communication will be a rejection which will crush me.

My first interaction was a big ol hold from GW lol I'm pretty sure I cried like a spoiled brat. But then the IIs started and it makes it all better. Your IIs are brewing. I feel it. :biglove:

Reactions: 7 users
I have the same angst

I know this is a stressful, long process. I am in the same boat as both of you since I was complete beginning-mid September waiting on my mcat. But try to keep your heads up and trust in your individuality. Someone will pick up your application and you will be what they were looking for.

Reactions: 4 users