**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick questions guys, I really need some help. My gf is Puerto Rican and she has a 3.0 GPA and a not so good MCAT. She took the MCAT 3 times and willing to give this one last shot so she wants to increase her GPA in the mean time. She already did most of her pre-req course work so would a formal postbac help ?? Did you guys just take upper level Bio classes so it would figure in your MD GPA. I am asking for those who repaired there grades in the past and this seems like a friendly place to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Quick questions guys, I really need some help. My gf is Puerto Rican and she has a 3.0 GPA and a not so good MCAT. She took the MCAT 3 times and willing to give this one last shot so she wants to increase her GPA in the mean time. She already did most of her pre-req course work so would a formal postbac help ?? Did you guys just take upper level Bio classes so it would figure in your MD GPA. I am asking for those who repaired there grades in the past and this seems like a friendly place to ask.

Hi! i think it ultimately depends on her exact situation. What are her EC? Does she have above average life experiences? etc.

Other than that, what i've heard is that if she took the prereqs and has a B average that usually means that she did well but simply didn't KILL the courses. In that case i'd discourage from a formal post-bac and would suggest a master's in medical science or take upper level classes as you suggested and perform very well there.

I think having her talk to her premed advisor or PM adcomes on this site could give her more insight into her specific situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! i think it ultimately depends on her exact situation. What are her EC? Does she have above average life experiences? etc.

Other than that, what i've heard is that if she took the prereqs and has a B average that usually means that she did well but simply didn't KILL the courses. In that case i'd discourage from a formal post-bac and would suggest a master's in medical science or take upper level classes as you suggested and perform very well there.

I think having her talk to her premed advisor or PM adcomes on this site could give her more insight into her specific situation.
TY

Members don't see this ad :)
Have anyone here done a DIY postbac ??

Have anyone here done a DIY postbac ??

I did. My undergrad major covered most of the prereqs, so it didn't make sense for me to enroll in a formal one. Also, those are pretty expensive and I didn't have the option of doing it in a public school in my area, so I wouldn't have done it either way.

I just did bio, biochem, and upper levels.

I did an informal post-bacc at a CC and it worked out fine. I wouldn't personally enroll in a Master's program and spend that kind of money, especially if her science GPA is at or above her cumulative.

As for the MCAT, she is going to need to overhaul the way in which she studies. No, "I just need a little longer..." sort of deal. I'd say this should be her last attempt and she can definitely do it if she spends a solid amount of time formulating an all new plan of attack.

II Drew/UCLA that phone call just blessed my whole life seriously. I love this program so much!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 10 users
Love seeing those II guys!!!!! Waiting patiently for mine
tumblr_inline_o5yxh4R0E51rrrnhe_540.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Love seeing those II guys!!!!! Waiting patiently for mine
tumblr_inline_o5yxh4R0E51rrrnhe_540.jpg

This picture gets me every time!

Hold on tight. You and I were both on the late end with the submissions, it's hard to wait but it hasn't been that long yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waiting with you and rooting for ya... you're gonna get some! The day is upon us.
Could give u a Hug for this girl/guy . This really put a smile on my face!!

Reactions: 1 user
This picture gets me every time!

Hold on tight. You and I were both on the late end with the submissions, it's hard to wait but it hasn't been that long yet!

LOLZ trust me I remembered. If I am being totally honest when I heard you got a II I frantically checked my portals to see if I got any communication. I am proud of myself though because even though I gotten none I was genuinely happy for you , glad this process havent corrupted my supportive caring nature !

Reactions: 5 users
LOLZ trust me I remembered. If I am being totally honest when I heard you got a II I frantically checked my portals to see if I got any communication. I am proud of myself though because even though I gotten none I was genuinely happy for you , glad this process havent corrupted my supportive caring nature !

Seriously I've been the same.

I saw someone post an II today from my alma mater (not in here) and was complete a couple days after and I rushed to my portal, but like you I still felt happy for them.

It feels good to not be cold lol

after reading this whole thread, im seeing so many good vibes and prayers going out. so checking in

3.86 gpa, 507 MCAT
URM female (Canadian though so applying international)
completed honours thesis, avg ECs
~ 250 hrs volunteering, spent the summer shadowing

currently taking a gap year to learn spanish and travel.
really praying for this cycle as im a reapplicant. Wont He do it!

oh & complete at most schools ~09/20

after reading this whole thread, im seeing so many good vibes and prayers going out. so checking in

3.86 gpa, 507 MCAT
URM female (Canadian though so applying international)
completed honours thesis, avg ECs
~ 250 hrs volunteering, spent the summer shadowing

currently taking a gap year to learn spanish and travel.
really praying for this cycle as im a reapplicant. Wont He do it!

oh & complete at most schools ~09/20
Yeah same. You just completed most of your secondaries to? Do you feel late, this is my first time applying and Im scared because it seems like everyone here finished secondaries months ago.

Yeah same. You just completed most of your secondaries to? Do you feel late, this is my first time applying and Im scared because it seems like everyone here finished secondaries months ago.

yeah i took my mcat pretty late (aug 19) so i had to wait for those scores to be released. to be honest, i know its later than most, but im just going to keep believing and praying. i don't think its horribly late though

yeah i took my mcat pretty late (aug 19) so i had to wait for those scores to be released. to be honest, i know its later than most, but im just going to keep believing and praying. i don't think its horribly late though
Is it really later than most? or just those on sdn you think?

I did an informal post-bacc at a CC and it worked out fine. I wouldn't personally enroll in a Master's program and spend that kind of money, especially if her science GPA is at or above her cumulative.

As for the MCAT, she is going to need to overhaul the way in which she studies. No, "I just need a little longer..." sort of deal. I'd say this should be her last attempt and she can definitely do it if she spends a solid amount of time formulating an all new plan of attack.
I've been lurking a little... my gpa is very similar to the individual's gf, in fact by the time a graduate both my cgpa and sgpa will be at or above 3.0. I am taking a gap year and am trying to decide what I want to do. I have been looking into SMP but I am really passionate about research so I am thinking about applying to research programs or positions at hospitals. Is this a good idea? I haven't gotten my MCAT score back but if necessary I will be retaking that in the spring!

Miracles still happen. Was rejected by Mayo (MN) in July, and thought it was over. Got an email this morning saying the rejection was reversed and I'm invited to interview!

Reactions: 10 users
Miracles still happen. Was rejected by Mayo (MN) in July, and thought it was over. Got an email this morning saying the rejection was reversed and I'm invited to interview!
WOW thats so awesome!! Mayo is my dream school for sure, and I did a summer program and all I can say is that its amazing! I hope you get in!! :)

That moment when your application is so good that they reverse their decision haha congrats!

<(-.<) <(-.-)> (>.-)>

Celebration dance for you guys!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats!!:) Even though you didnt do as well as you would have liked on the MCAT I am glad the II's are still rolling in for you!!

Thank you! (Don't remind me, still a sore spot lol.) I am definitely glad my hubris didn't send me down the path to a retake, too risky.

WOW thats so awesome!! Mayo is my dream school for sure, and I did a summer program and all I can say is that its amazing! I hope you get in!! :)

That moment when your application is so good that they reverse their decision haha congrats!

Thanks guys. IdK if I'll go though. Same situation as Washington St. Louis; not sure if I can afford it/miss school. Depends on what dates they give me to choose from. We'll see!

THIS. This is legendary.

Congrats!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys. IdK if I'll go though. Same situation as Washington St. Louis; not sure if I can afford it/miss school. Depends on what dates they give me to choose from. We'll see!

AH. Hoping you can go:luck::xf:

First interview tomorrow. I went from confident to terrified back to confident now I'm just numb lol

Reactions: 2 users
First interview tomorrow. I went from confident to terrified back to confident now I'm just numb lol

You will do great. Just remember that the invite meant that they saw something great in you, so they want nothing more than for you to be yourself. If you are religious, I advise you to just say a prayer for utterance before you start. Sleep well, don't eat much in the morning, breathe, and show them the awesome person you are!

@O.T.I. Man u are changing the rules of the game.!! Good job

You will do great. Just remember that the invite meant that they saw something great in you, so they want nothing more than for you to be yourself. If you are religious, I advise you to just say a prayer for utterance before you start. Sleep well, don't eat much in the morning, breathe, and show them the awesome person you are!

Thank you so much

Still waiting on an interview here. I was complete at most schools beginning in September (Letter hold-up).
So far, the only positive news has been from Mayo MN/AZ where I have received LOR complete emails.
All of the II on this thread are keeping my hopes up! :clap:

Anybody else here riding the Howard struggle train? They have been the most frustrating school to work with!

Anybody else here riding the Howard struggle train? They have been the most frustrating school to work with!

I applied to Howard for ugrad and they got back to me in July, to ask me to file some type of international student exemption to continue my file (I'm a permanent resident) I literally had every other acceptance by April. I was like whattttt you can't be serious.

Endless calls and emails were never answered then you tell me in July you need more info to continue consideration when school starts in August...

Since I had heard the med school administrative end was the same circus show I didn't bother applying.

Last edited:

Decided to not even complete the application due to their apparent disorganization. Not worth it for me.

I applied to Howard for ugrad and they got back to me in July, to ask me to file some type of international student exemption to continue my file (I'm a permanent resident) I literally had every other acceptance by April. I was like whattttt you can't be serious.

Endless calls and emails were never answered the you tell me in July you need more info to continue consideration when school starts in August...

Since I had heard the med school administrative end was the same circus show I didn't both applying.

It's insanely disappointing. There system keeps malfunctioning, the administration has no answers, no one seems to be accountable for it. They are now saying that IIs won't be sent out until mid October. This is absolutely ridiculous, what kind of institution is this?!

It's insanely disappointing. There system keeps malfunctioning, the administration has no answers, no one seems to be accountable for it. They are now saying that IIs won't be sent out until mid October. This is absolutely ridiculous, what kind of institution is this?!

My best friend graduated from HU and I have friends in the dental school and other programs and trust me the disorganization doesn't stop at admissions.

I really have no clue how they can operate this way, they need a complete overhaul.

The worst part is that they are one of very few historically black medical institutions. It should demand respect and operate as such. Sigh.