**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone here still with no interview invites or is it just me?

When were you complete? I have URM friends (not on here) that are still waiting to here back as well. They'll come in due time :)

Members don't see this ad.

Too early to worry according to my pre-med adviser. Medical schools have cycles of interviews so you might just interview later on in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the first interview out of the way. Didn't think it went as well as I wanted it to go and actually thought it went bad, but cave change anything about that now. Just have to improve and move on and hope for more II.

Hey my Tufts interview was horrible in my opinion but I am moving on and using it to better prepare for my next one on Saturday.

I find out the result of Tufts next week but I am putting in past me. No changing it now, and maybe I over thought it. Keep your head up :)!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering how everyone is funding their interview flights/hotels? My bank account is starting to look sad.

I was wondering how everyone is funding their interview flights/hotels? My bank account is starting to look sad.

50-60% of paycheck every two weeks has gone towards interview flights and hotels. As much as possible I try to stay at home or with a student host.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

with the tears of my unborn children*

*parents & my savings account which is depleting faster than my heart can take

Still feels a little premature saying this (didn't receive an official e-mail, but my portal updated), but I received my first acceptance this morning to the Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine!!!!!
Yessss!!! Congratulations!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Side note is it weird that when I see you guys post on school specfic threads I'm like ohh yeah they do exist outside of the URM thread....it's like when you were a kid and you saw your teacher doing normal life things in a grocery store.

Reactions: 5 users
I book interviews on days my dad has off and then we wake up earlier in the morning and drive to the schools. Can't afford the flights or hotels

Still feels a little premature saying this (didn't receive an official e-mail, but my portal updated), but I received my first acceptance this morning to the Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine!!!!!
Congratulations Dr. Afropolitan!:pompous:

I book interviews on days my dad has off and then we wake up earlier in the morning and drive to the schools. Can't afford the flights or hotels
So you sleep in your dad's car? or do you sleep with a srudest host?

So you sleep in your dad's car?
ha ha ha sometimes, but we normally try to get sleep at home and leave home around 1 or 2 am(or later depending on the location). And then drive to the school to make it to the morning interviews

Members don't see this ad :)

My mom has been helping me a lot. Both our credit cards and my paycheck too. We usually drive as well.

People tend to post the positive. Don't worry, there are plenty of people out there without any II yet. Just keep the faith, they're coming ;)

Reactions: 1 users
My costs for interviews are high purely because of me. I can give you an estimate for two plane tickets (my mom for some reason has wanted to come to every single one) and two nights (if I can't fly out late enough for one night) at a hotel for all of my interviews.

But it's definitely doable for a lot less if you work to schedule your interviews at better times for airlines and stay with students.

My costs for interviews are high purely because of me. I can give you an estimate for two plane tickets (my mom for some reason has wanted to come to every single one) and two nights (if I can't fly out late enough for one night) at a hotel for all of my interviews.

But it's definitely doable for a lot less if you work to schedule your interviews at better times for airlines and stay with students.
They made u take your mom to student host homes ?

When were you complete? I have URM friends (not on here) that are still waiting to here back as well. They'll come in due time :)
Was complete first week of August at 13/15 places. The last two was complete early Sept.
I think I'm more worried because I have e been rejected from almost half and the rest silence. Im non traditional with a nonconventional background. So it seems they either hate me or love me.

Was complete first week of August at 13/15 places. The last two was complete early Sept.
I think I'm more worried because I have e been rejected from almost half and the rest silence. Im non traditional with a nonconventional background. So it seems they either hate me or love me.

I see. You're still making good time. And all you really need is one to love you. At the end of the day, you can only go to one school. I have faith in you :joyful:

They made u take your mom to student host homes ?

No no my mom has wanted to come to every interview so I've been forced to pay for a hotel and I don't get to stay with hosts. She pays for her plane ticket but... I still end up paying more because of the hotel.

However I like my own space so it's not the worst set up.

I see. You're still making good time. And all you really need is one to love you. At the end of the day, you can only go to one school. I have faith in you :joyful:
Thanks for the faith and encouragement :smuggrin:

Thanks for the faith and encouragement :smuggrin:

No no my mom has wanted to come to every interview so I've been forced to pay for a hotel and I don't get to stay with hosts. She pays for her plane ticket but... I still end up paying more because of the hotel.

However I like my own space so it's not the worst set up.
Thats soo sweet! Sounds like a great mom!!

Reactions: 5 users
upstate ~! (the dream looking more realistic now)
Just when you were feeling down, look at fate working in your favor ;)

She's pretty adorable.
Lol, I relate to this soooo much. Here I was thinking my mother was the only one trying to tag along to every interview (too much time and dateline on her hands) :p

Reactions: 2 users
Just when you were feeling down, look at fate working in your favor ;)

Lol, I relate to this soooo much. Here I was thinking my mother was the only one trying to tag along to every interview (too much time and dateline on her hands) :p
+1! I think this interview season is the vacation my mum never had!

II at USF today! I hope everyone had a wonderful week

Reactions: 7 users
Oh no darlin, was it like a stress interview or were you nervous?

Uh oh what happened?

He was dissmive of many of my answers. Didn't read anything from my application but wouldnt let me explain activities in detail. Interrupted me several times. Everything came back to research, why no pubs (asked several times). Strongly hinted I wouldn't get in there but maybe somewhere else lol. It was weird because he was SO nice except for the hour I spent being grilled by him.

Oh no darlin, was it like a stress interview or were you nervous?

stress interview. He was sweet while walking me to his office and back. Idk, he could just be a direct person and i was taken aback lol

stress interview. He was sweet while walking me to his office and back. Idk, he could just be a direct person and i was taken aback lol

It sounds like a classic stress interview. For all you know, you probably passed the test and handled yourself well. My friend had an interviewer at a top 20 say, "so I'm going to get to the point, why is your MCAT so low??" Lol she had a 30. Got accepted. Now matriculating at a top 3 institution. Stress interviews are tactics at best, I'm sure you killed it.

It sounds like a classic stress interview. For all you know, you probably passed the test and handled yourself well. My friend had an interviewer at a top 20 say, "so I'm going to get to the point, why is your MCAT so low??" Lol she had a 30. Got accepted. Now matriculating at a top 3 institution. Stress interviews are tactics at best, I'm sure you killed it.

lol that's ridiculous!!! I hope so o_O

upstate ~! (the dream looking more realistic now)

Hey all, joining the party late, But I just read through this thread, and it is truly inspiring. The level of camaraderie amongst the URM med school applicants of this thread is so freakin dope, and it brings me so much joy to watch us all succeed, and enter a field where so few of us even get a chance to apply.

Just wanted to give a big shoutout to @Chelsea FC for pointing me to this thread, and a shoutout to all my Latinos out there reppin. Anyways, I completed my app in 9/12 for some schools, and 9/19 for others, and I currently have 5 II's at Downstate, Upstate, Stony Brook, Boston University, and University of Rochester, My Stony interview is coming up Nov 1st, if anyone has tips for any of these, any help would be appreciated, I am conducting a bunch of research myself if anyone needs some info as well, and I'll give some tips based on my interview experiences when they happen.

Oh Also, Congrats to all my gunners out there with the early acceptances, y'all deserve it!

Congrats to you both!!! I'm interviewing at Upstate too, Nov 16. When are you guys interviewing?

Okay URM fam. I really need some help. I have an interview tomorrow. From the time I woke up this morning I have been having second thought about going. Now that I'm here I don't feel it at all. I've had two other interviews and felt empowered to even be in the same city as those schools but with this school I feel miserable being here. I don't know if it would be wise to cancel the interview now. I also have another interview at the end of this week that I am excite about so I know I'm not just tired or scared. What do I do

Okay URM fam. I really need some help. I have an interview tomorrow. From the time I woke up this morning I have been having second thought about going. Now that I'm here I don't feel it at all. I've had two other interviews and felt empowered to even be in the same city as those schools but with this school I feel miserable being here. I don't know if it would be wise to cancel the interview now. I also have another interview at the end of this week that I am excite about so I know I'm not just tired or scared. What do I do

From personal experience, I'll say you are A) tired, B) possibly scared, and C) tired of interviewing. At least I was, partways through. Think about it this way: even if you don't feel the school at least have it your bank of options. Just go through the motions and get through the day. I've had a school or two like that, but you never know what will pleasantly surprise you. We don't have the luxury of guarantees right now, so let's have all options open, ok?

Tough one. Firstly, it would be a rude to not go without letting them know in time to invite another applicant. If you traveled, don't waste the money by not attending. Go... you could be missing a huge opportunity. You may fall in love. Maybe not, but it's worth the effort.

You don't even have an acceptance and feel cocky enough to refuse an interview? Damn!1 God forbid if those two interviews become rejections - you are burning a bridge next cycle

latest

You don't even have an acceptance and feel cocky enough to refuse an interview? Damn!1 God forbid if those two interviews become rejections - you are burning a bridge next cycle

latest

Not cocky at all. I guess I'm just a gut feeling type of person and this probably isn't the time to listen to my gut.

Not cocky at all. I guess I'm just a gut feeling type of person and this probably isn't the time to listen to my gut.

Dude, I would understand yor predicament have you an acceptance but nowadays it is just too risky to pull sh*it like that hoping the other 2 will becomes accepatnces. Just go for it, and who knows, maybe this place will be grow on you

Dude, I would understand yor predicament have you an acceptance but nowadays it is just too risky to pull sh*it like that hoping the other 2 will becomes accepatnces. Just go for it, and who knows, maybe this place will be grow on you

True. Trust me. I did not mean to come off as an a-hole at all. I was beyond grateful to even get an interview anywhere. Was genuinely looking for some opinions. Thanks thou.