**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't mind me. Currently laying down trying to force myself to start prewriting secondaries.

Same here. The struggle is too real. No motivation especially since I'm not verified yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Same here haha. How long is the process to get verified or is it random?

Could take up to 6 weeks especially if you submit in like August. They are finally starting to verify people who submitted on June 8. FYI, It took AMCAS about 2 weeks to verify all of the applications submitted on June 7. I submitted on the 9th.

It isn't random. Everyone is actually placed in a line by submission time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing all those secondaries is no joke. I'm in the process of prewriting, myself. I just hope that this isn't the year that every single medical school decides that it is time for a change and they all revamp their secondaries.

According to the verification post they finally moved on from those who submitted June 7th to June 8th. The process should speed up these next few days. Gotta play the dreaded waiting game

Just discovered this thread! Applying this cycle as well! May God help us all get into the best school for each one of us!

Reactions: 2 users
Doing all those secondaries is no joke. I'm in the process of prewriting, myself. I just hope that this isn't the year that every single medical school decides that it is time for a change and they all revamp their secondaries.
I can't wait to do Rochester's secondary. Based on previous years, it's just checkboxes. :smug:

Reactions: 1 user
Could take up to 6 weeks especially if you submit in like August. They are finally starting to verify people who submitted on June 8. FYI, It took AMCAS about 2 weeks to verify all of the applications submitted on June 7. I submitted on the 9th.

It isn't random. Everyone is actually placed in a line by submission time.

Okay that makes sense! I just submitted mine yesterday for osteopathic and allopathic!!

GPA: 4.0
Major: Biochemistry
MCAT: 521
ECs: Department ambassador, dorm rep, AMSA, AED (newly joined)
Volunteering: 100 hrs
Research: Two summers cancer research, one semester biochem research, one semester field bio research
Other: 55 hours shadowing, scholarships and awards, 3-year undergraduate plan.

Research: Two summers cancer research, one semester biochem research, one semester field bio research
What minority do you represent?

Members don't see this ad :)
African living in America.
Your stats are super strong my friend. The only thing that could raise some flags would be the lack of ECs. Regardless you're in good shape!

Your stats are super strong my friend. The only thing that could raise some flags would be the lack of ECs. Regardless you're in good shape!
Yeah, trying to graduate in three years is very intensive, and consequently requires that I focus heavily on school.

How did you guys go about studying for the MCAT? I'm not going to apply this cycle because my score was too low.

I looked at study plans in the MCAT forum and made my own using those as a guideline. 1 Month-Cont review, I use TPR and some EK, 1 month SB/Q Pack, other passages, 2-3 weeks FLs

Great stats, but the ECs are a bit rough. Are you applying MD/PhD or MD only? I can see MD/PhD not caring terribly about your volunteering, if your research has been productive. But for MD only with 100 volunteering (Is that clinical/non clinical?), I see that being a red flag for not knowing what you're getting into/ showing altruism.

I'm sure you would get in somewhere as is, but I think it's going to hurt.

Last edited:
Was that the plan from the mcatjelly person who has an MCAT schedule up? Also were you working full time or was studying the only thing you did? I'm going to work for a few months to save up money and then buy TPR materials to self-study because I'm too broke right now.

I looked at over 5 plans and then made my own, probably more like SN2d in structure, but I made it more fluid than that.

You just need to figure out what works for you and how to make a schedule catered to you. I started while in school full time, plus I have kids so it was rough. Now I study, work 30 hrs, I get between 8-10 hours a day. Sometimes the weekend messes me up because I have things with my kids etc, so I am very fluid with what I do on what days.

Yeah, trying to graduate in three years is very intensive, and consequently requires that I focus heavily on school.

True, but it was a choice you made, so you can't make it an excuse for not doing well and ensuring other parts of your application were great too. Make sure you don't do that in interviews. They're not going to give lenience because you wanted to finish in 3 years. In everything I see, they prefer people that take longer and do everything right.

How did you guys go about studying for the MCAT? I'm not going to apply this cycle because my score was too low.
I studied my taking courses last semester that prepared me for the exam (eg. Biochem, human physiology, psychology, ochem) and then took it right after finals.

True, but it was a choice you made, so you can't make it an excuse for not doing well and ensuring other parts of your application were great too. Make sure you don't do that in interviews. They're not going to give lenience because you wanted to finish in 3 years. In everything I see, they prefer people that take longer and do everything right.

You bring up some good points. I do think it won't help my application, but I do not think it is irredeemable, if I could talk about the value of those experiences. All due respect, you do not know why I had to condense my undergraduate program, so I may have been "doing it right" for me. I do, however, appreciate your input and will take your advice into consideration when I go to my interviews (which by God's grace, I will get).

You bring up some good points. I do think it won't help my application, but I do not think it is irredeemable, if I could talk about the value of those experiences. All due respect, you do not know why I had to condense my undergraduate program, so I may have been "doing it right" for me. I do, however, appreciate your input and will take your advice into consideration when I go to my interviews (which by God's grace, I will get).

I did not say it was irredeemable, see my previous post. I have no doubt that you will get in with your stats. What I said was you are hindered by your ECs, and be sure not to use wanting to finish in three years as an excuse for not having ECs. You don't want to come off as a robot/ only care about grades. I'm on my phone so I can't see whether you've been here a while, but I've seen, and many adcoms have talked about the high stats that don't do as well as they should have if they had a more well-rounded app. I was referring to "doing it right", as in ensuring all qualities and points necessary for being a doctor are demonstrated: ex helping people, clinical exposure, etc.

I hope you see that I am not attacking you in any way, I always try my best to give helpful information. You are free to take it with a grain of salt, of course.

Last edited:
I did not say it was irredeemable, see my previous post. I have no doubt that you will get in with your stats. What I said was you are hindered by your ECs, and be sure not to use wanting to finish in three years as an excuse for not having ECs. You don't want to come off as a robot/ only care about grades. I'm only my phone so I can't see whether you've been here a while, but I've seen, and many adcoms have talked about the high stats that don't do as well as they should have if they had a more well-rounded app. I was referring to "doing it right", as in ensuring all qualities and points necessary for being a doctor are demonstrated: ex helping people, clinical exposure, etc.

I hop you see that I am not attacking you in any way, I always try my best to give helpful information. You are free to take it with a grain of salt, of course.

I appreciate your explanation. Thanks so much!

January '16 tester here, so don't know how much of what I say will be of use. But hopefully it helps..

1. I studied independently and largely based my schedule off of littlebear92 which I preferred.
2. I used this subreddit to curate the resources I purchased: https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/wiki/mcat2015exam
3. Your daily routine and structured schedule with breaks is KEY! Create a routine that makes you successful! For me, that was working out and listening to music in the morning, and having NO electronics on me until lunchtime. Eating well and having healthy snacks is also important. Took me a while to realize anything unhealthy or with MSG gave me food coma.
4. Go at a pace that minimizes burnout and maximizes progress. For me that was taking a 2 break days every 9-10 days.
5. Having an "MCAT mentor". For me that was my friend who had taken before me. Additionally, my friend who had taken the DAT. They helped me calm down whenever I got frustrated or anxious.
6. Since you've already taken it once, figure out what your strengths/weaknesses are and practice, practice, practice! Content review is good to hone down early, but practice is what makes you dramatically improve.

Myself and a lot of other people shared helpful tips here (remember to comb thru and find what works for you): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/509-mcat-study-habits.1143569/page-5#post-17462121

Good luck to everyone!!! Hopefully we all get in this cycle :happy:

Hey bredren and sistren!

I applied last year October, primary submitted in October 1st, and completed my secondaries in November and December.

I got 7 interviews: 1 I didn't go to. Was accepted to 3 schools and waitlisted at 3. I am not sure how my cycle would have ended up if I had applied earlier, lol. I should have waited until this cycle, but I was blessed and Highly favored :)! I am sending positive vibes to everyone here on this thread. Remain focused, and know that you can get in.

My MCAT was 22, 23 and 501
sGPA 3.53 and overall 3.61
I am a non-trad student, and I have done some amazing things since I graduated (I guess that was how I pulled in all of these interviews last minute)

I applied to 26 schools and wished I applied to 35 to 40. Go HARD or GO HOME! You only want to do this process once :)

Good Luck, and if you have any questions just hit me up.

Reactions: 7 users
Hello all,

So glad that I found this thread. I am beyond excited to start this journey with all of you. Hoping and praying for an amazing cycle for all of us. We worked extremely hard to even get to this point, and for that we should all be proud.

BTW ... I took the June 18th MCAT and I am still recovering from it. Lol. So I haven't been able to finish my primary application. Finalizing a few things tomorrow and should be hitting send by Saturday. Ahhhh!

Reactions: 3 users

Hey there man I know what you mean (I was also a 3 yr grad) - congrats on your scholastic performance/MCAT!

You have plenty of time to build up your ECs after graduation (I ended up doing that in a round about way), especially since that MCAT score is good for 3 yrs.

What community do you represent? Your subpar EC's wont matter because everything else is AMAZING!
Apply literally wherever you want

Hey bredren and sistren!

I applied last year October, primary submitted in October 1st, and completed my secondaries in November and December.

I got 7 interviews: 1 I didn't go to. Was accepted to 3 schools and waitlisted at 3. I am not sure how my cycle would have ended up if I had applied earlier, lol. I should have waited until this cycle, but I was blessed and Highly favored :)! I am sending positive vibes to everyone here on this thread. Remain focused, and know that you can get in.

I am a non-trad student, and I have done some amazing things since I graduated (I guess that was how I pulled in all of these interviews last minute)

I applied to 26 schools and wished I applied to 35 to 40. Go HARD or GO HOME! You only want to do this process once :)

What amazing things have you done?
I've done a lot, and people tell me it's amazing, but I'm still waiting to feel like something I've done is actually amazing

Hey there man I know what you mean (I was also a 3 yr grad) - congrats on your scholastic performance/MCAT!

You have plenty of time to build up your ECs after graduation (I ended up doing that in a round about way), especially since that MCAT score is good for 3 yrs.
I'm a she!:) And thanks so much!

Hey bredren and sistren!

Thanks for checking in! That really is a clutch pull for being complete in Nov. and Dec.! Hopefully you can hang around and offer advice.

It's amazing to see some rebirth here in the URM forums and so many positive, supportive people coming out! It's been dead for far too long.

Hey guys, I'm a bit of lurker and have been really nervous about posting. But I figured I'd do ahead and give it a shot. I'm applying this cycle as a traditional student. Let me know what you guys think!

-cGPA: 3.91 sGPA: 3.86
-Major: Biochem
-MCAT: 506
-EC: On the E-board of the pre-med chapter on campus, head of mentorship program for underrepresented students pursuing STEM careers
-Volunteering - ~200 hours of clinical volunteering, split between a local hospital and hospice care, 500+ of non-clinical volunteering that included working with the elderly and the disabled
- Teaching - 400 hours of tutoring of various subjects in the sciences. Promoted to the help session leader within the tutoring department for two separate subjects
-Research: ~800 hrs split between clinical and basic labs with a possible publication
-AA male

Patiently waiting to be verified along with everyone else. But everyone here looks really impressive! Crossing my fingers that someone will give me a shot. But regardless, good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys, I'm a bit of lurker and have been really nervous about posting. But I figured I'd do ahead and give it a shot. I'm applying this cycle as a traditional student. Let me know what you guys think!

-EC: On the E-board of the pre-med chapter on campus, head of mentorship program for underrepresented students pursuing STEM careers
-Volunteering - ~200 hours of clinical volunteering, split between a local hospital and hospice care, 500+ of non-clinical volunteering that included working with the elderly and the disabled
- Teaching - 400 hours of tutoring of various subjects in the sciences. Promoted to the help session leader within the tutoring department for two separate subjects
-Research: ~800 hrs split between clinical and basic labs with a possible publication
-AA male

Patiently waiting to be verified along with everyone else. But everyone here looks really impressive! Crossing my fingers that someone will give me a shot. But regardless, good luck to everyone!

Someone will definitely give you a shot! Your app looks good!

I'm so glad to be out of the verification cue, that was seriously putting my neuroticism into overdrive. Find something to occupy your time.

-AA male

What are you talking about? YOUR stats are very impressive (esp. The ECs). God willing, you will definitely have many acceptances!

Thanks for checking in! That really is a clutch pull for being complete in Nov. and Dec.! Hopefully you can hang around and offer advice.

It's amazing to see some rebirth here in the URM forums and so many positive, supportive people coming out! It's been dead for far too long.

I agree! It was a long short ride. Short because I literally had a quarter of a cycle. Long because of the anxiety that I built up. Hmm, I wonder if I had applied early what my results would have been lol

Yeah I started my personal statement in September when J got my MCAT scores mid September. I wanted to travel again so it was imperative for me to apply last cycle.

I'm taking another year off so every one who is applying this cycle would be my classmate ;) in 2017

I agree! It was a long short ride. Short because I literally had a quarter of a cycle. Long because of the anxiety that I built up. Hmm, I wonder if I had applied early what my results would have been lol

Yeah I started my personal statement in September when J got my MCAT scores mid September. I wanted to travel again so it was imperative for me to apply last cycle.

I'm taking another year off so every one who is applying this cycle would be my classmate ;) in 2017

Nice!

I'll be traveling in February so wanted to be on the earliest side of the cycle as possible, albeit my MCAT is July.

Taking my kids to my country for the first time, finally, so no way I'm putting it off! Side note: immigration laws suck.

Nice!

I'll be traveling in February so wanted to be on the earliest side of the cycle as possible, albeit my MCAT is July.

Taking my kids to my country for the first time, finally, so no way I'm putting it off! Side note: immigration laws suck.

O wow! I know they are probably excited to leave the country. I love the plane food though when you're on a ten plus hours flight.

Now I have the beats wireless headphones I am in my travel element lol
Yeah get the beast out of the way. I wished I've done better. A 501 just mess up my whole profile lol
I have to step it up for Step 1

O wow! I know they are probably excited to leave the country. I love the plane food though when you're on a ten plus hours flight.

Now I have the beats wireless headphones I am in my travel element lol
Yeah get the beast out of the way. I wished I've done better. A 501 just mess up my whole profile lol
I have to step it up for Step 1

Lol it's alright. Step 1 is where the rest is determined, now you do know what works and what doesn't for studying so only uphill from here!

They don't quite understand, they aren't school aged yet. But it means a lot anyway. It's really difficult to maintain your culture while also trying to assimilate because your kids are American! Plus most of my family are back home, so they definitely need to know where they came from.

Lol I had thanksgiving dinner at home for the first time last year and I felt super awkward. Not having any sentimental feelings toward it, but I don't want them to feel left out when they're in school.

Nice!

So much truth in this

What do you guys think of my school list?

URM (Mexican American), MCAT: 507 (eq to a 29-30 on the old exam), cgpa 3.5 (strong upward trend), sgpa is 3.55 (strong upward trend).
ECs: over 1000 hours as a phlebotomist in a plasma center located in an underserved area, 30 hours hands on clinical volunteering at a free health clinic (underserved area as well), 40 hours volunteering at a hospital, 50 hours shadowing an orthopedic surgeon, anesthesiologist, and a cardiothoracic surgeon.

School list:
IS school (in the south, fall into the 10-90 percentiles)
U of Arizona
George Washington
Georgetown
Chicago Rosalind
Temple
Loyola
Creighton
NYMC
U of Kansas
Medical College Wisconsin
U of Wisconsin
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Jefferson
U of Missouri (Columbia)
U of Colorado

Reaches (not sure if I should even bother):

USC
Ohio State
St. Louis
U of Iowa
Brown
UCLA
U of Miami

I am also applying to all Texas schools (I have some ties to the state).

I have FAP so I'm going to be applying to 15 schools, but I might add one or two more if I can afford it. I'd like to include one or two reaches into that 15 school list (not sure if this is a good idea). What do you guys think?

Quick question: does anyone know any top schools that are URM-friendly with merit scholarships?

What do you guys think of my school list?

URM (Mexican American), MCAT: 507 (eq to a 29-30 on the old exam), cgpa 3.5 (strong upward trend), sgpa is 3.55 (strong upward trend).
ECs: over 1000 hours as a phlebotomist in a plasma center located in an underserved area, 30 hours hands on clinical volunteering at a free health clinic (underserved area as well), 40 hours volunteering at a hospital, 50 hours shadowing an orthopedic surgeon, anesthesiologist, and a cardiothoracic surgeon.

School list:
IS school (in the south, fall into the 10-90 percentiles)
U of Arizona
George Washington
Georgetown
Chicago Rosalind
Temple
Loyola
Creighton
NYMC
U of Kansas
Medical College Wisconsin
U of Wisconsin
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Jefferson
U of Missouri (Columbia)
U of Colorado

Reaches (not sure if I should even bother):

USC
Ohio State
St. Louis
U of Iowa
Brown
UCLA
U of Miami

I am also applying to all Texas schools (I have some ties to the state).

I have FAP so I'm going to be applying to 15 schools, but I might add one or two more if I can afford it. I'd like to include one or two reaches into that 15 school list (not sure if this is a good idea). What do you guys think?

I haven't looked at MSAR in a bit, are the Wisconsin schools OOS friendly? What do their ratios look like?

I think you have a good balanced list. If money isn't an issue I would add 3/4 of your reaches.

Also if you haven't already, post to WAMC thread, and look through last year's URM thread to compare your stats to the accepted (for those that posted their stats of course).