**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone! It's that time of year, and we should really get some traffic back on the UH forums! I remember a few years ago when I joined SDN seeing the cycle for @ChemEngMD and @Dick Jones and was so inspiring. It's crazy to finally be in the application cycle!

Good luck to all of you! I am cheering for you all!

(GPA, Major, MCAT, Non-traditional, EC, Volunteering, Research, Funny Story, anything) or ask questions!)

30's Female, African origin (US Citizen now).
1st to graduate high-school & college from my family.
Undergrad (nursing) in Africa (so AMCAS does not require transcript). I was on top 5 of my class, thank God, and awarded a Merit based full-scholarship to grad school in the States.
Grad GPA: 3.7
MCAT: in few days
pre-med from a couple of schools in my metro area (to fit into my schedule)
7+ years of RN career in multiple specialties in the States.
Clinical Volunteer : 6 months in military hospitals in Africa
Non-Clinical Volunteer: unpaid, Christian missionary in 11 countries during the entire 2013
Leadership: co-founder and leader of a community based org in my area
Research: Zero interest, no experience.
Personal statement: life lessons learned. My dream to go to med school was put aside for many years to help my family in Africa. to help under-served population in US and abroad by joining Doctor's without Borders for sometime.
Disadvantaged status.

There is Time for Everything!

Reactions: 3 users
Undergrad (nursing) in Africa (so AMCAS does not require transcript). I was on top 5 of my class, thank God, and awarded a Merit based full-scholarship to grad school in the States.
Non-Clinical Volunteer: unpaid, Christian missionary in 11 countries during the entire 2013
Personal statement: life lessons learned. My dream to go to med school was put aside for many years to help my family in Africa. to help under-served population in US and abroad by joining Doctor's without Borders for sometime.
Disadvantaged status.

Im African too, what part? Your app looks good! Just do well with the MCAT and you'll be sure to get some II love! Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Im African too, what part? Your app looks good! Just do well with the MCAT and you'll be sure to get some II love! Good luck!
+1, African too! And your avi is on point (esp. If you are African and you don't answer, you will hear sermon when you get home...)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
+1, African too! And your avi is on point (esp. If you are African and you don't answer, you will hear sermon when you get home...)!

I'm African too. Ghana represent!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Disadvantaged status.

I'm also a first generation high school graduate. Way to go and best of luck on the MCAT!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to wish all of you applying good luck! I decided to apply next cycle so maybe I will see some of you one day.

Reactions: 1 users
much
Just wanted to wish all of you applying good luck! I decided to apply next cycle so maybe I will see some of you one day.
much appreciated! send all the prayers over please! I need them

I've been told clinical exposure doesn't have to come from volunteering, so working at the plasma center definitely qualifies as clinical experience. I speak Spanish conversationally (can understand it perfectly, I do have some issues going from english to spanish). The only way I've helped out the Mexican community is through the free clinic by translating and taking on the Hispanic patients. No research :(

Thanks for the heads up on Brown and UCLA btw.

I beg differ. If you have the money apply everywhere. This process is completely random and you don't know what they are looking for.

Lol it's alright. Step 1 is where the rest is determined, now you do know what works and what doesn't for studying so only uphill from here!

They don't quite understand, they aren't school aged yet. But it means a lot anyway. It's really difficult to maintain your culture while also trying to assimilate because your kids are American! Plus most of my family are back home, so they definitely need to know where they came from.

Lol I had thanksgiving dinner at home for the first time last year and I felt super awkward. Not having any sentimental feelings toward it, but I don't want them to feel left out when they're in school.

I mean now how tech is your children will prob be able to go back to the past when they are older. With all of these holograms and how rapid technology is moving just makes me think what it will be like ten years from now.

I hate packing and I have to pack for my trip as well. I am going to get my hair braided tomorrow. I'm not trying to pay no more than 120 for wet and wavy box braids. They trying to swindle a sista sometimes lol

Studying is a learning process within yourself and I rather eff up in the past and right my wrongs than eff up in the future. I don't think med school is that forgiving lol

This process is going to fly by though. Enjoy it and when you get that first acceptance letter just thank Jah, Salessi Hod/Christ himself.

Only 26000 students out of 50000 that applied get into a med school o_O

II from Texas A&M today! This is the beginning of good news for all of us in Jesus' name!

Reactions: 6 users
II from Texas A&M today! This is the beginning of good news for all of us in Jesus' name!

Not even a little bit surprised lol you're a force to reckon with. Keep us updated post interview:luck:

while everyone out here getting interviews, I got my first secondary after being verified today lol..... baby steps:happy:. Congrats for everyone getting secondary and interviews so far, we are all doing great and on our way to medical school!

while everyone out here getting interviews, I got my first secondary after being verified today lol..... baby steps:happy:. Congrats for everyone getting secondary and interviews so far, we are all doing great and on our way to medical school!

Lol. Don't feel too bad. My MCAT isn't for another 2 1/2 weeks. I'm sure to be the last lol

have you submitted or are you waiting on your score?

I submitted to a throwaway on the first day. Been verified for since June 9th or something lol, committee letters in, just need to add schools once score is in.

I submitted to a throwaway on the first day. Been verified for since June 9th or something lol, committee letters in, just need to add schools once score is in.

Right right, I gotcha! Good luck !

I did not pre-write anything for secondaries and I'm really regretting it.

I did not pre-write anything for secondaries and I'm really regretting it.
I know I have a bunch in my inbox :( These are taking foreverrrrr

My application hasn't been verified yet but I am pre-writing secondaries in the mean time. It is literally taking me forever to write them. So glad I started on them early because I def wouldn't be able to send them back within that ideal 2 week mark.

Did any of you have schools that requested photos?

Not really. iPhone cameras takes really good pictures.

I took a selfie by my front door in bright sunlight a few years ago that after cropping everyone thinks is a professional headshot. I've been able to use it for all my employee and school IDs, and even on company/lab website bios. Lol People always ask me about it, and never believe it was a selfie. The sunlight makes it look like I have professional lighting on my face haha

I took a selfie by my front door in bright sunlight a few years ago that after cropping everyone thinks is a professional headshot. I've been able to use it for all my employee and school IDs, and even on company/lab website bios. Lol People always ask me about it, and never believe it was a selfie. The sunlight makes it look like I have professional lighting on my face haha

*takes selfie with great lighting. Interviewer asks if it was a selfie, politely denies*

Hi everyone, new to this thing but here are some of my stats.

Male, born in Mexico, moved to Texas early, went back to Mexico for middle school and have been back in Texas since start of high school.
cGPA - 3.96, sGPA - 3.98 (Top 20 school)
MCAT - 521
Clinical Experience:
- 50 hours of surgical shadowing summer after freshman year
- 30 hours of pediatric shadowing during sophomore year
- 30+ hours of Spanish interpretation at MD Anderson Cancer Center as a course through my school
- Currently in a surgical program through BCM which will total 400+ hours by the end of the summer
EC's:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters mentor for 3 years now and continuing
- Middle School tutoring volunteer for 2 years
- Official tutor through my University for people taking O-chem, Biochem, P-chem, and Physics
Not sure how relevant this is but I have a working proficiency in French
First generation in my family to go to college
Have worked as a car mechanic since a very young age, and worked summers before and after freshman year
Research:
- None

Schools I'm applying to:
Texas:
- UT Southwestern
- UT San Antonio
- UT Houston
- Dell Medical School
AMCAS:
- Baylor
- UC San Francisco
- Stanford
- Johns Hopkins
- Harvard
- Columbia
- U Pennsylvania
- Vanderbilt
- Mayo

I hope nobody takes offense to this because I know I have a solid application and don't have much room to complain, so please forgive me beforehand. However, it's pretty obvious that I'm applying to research heavy schools and don't have any legitimate research on my resume. I'm interested in going into research in the future, I just decided early on in college that I would rather focus on other things to figure out what career I wanted to go into and never got around to getting involved with research. I'm hoping that you guys can tell me whether most of these schools will look passed that, or should I consider adding some other schools that are less research oriented. Thanks for your input! Good luck to everyone else!

Male, born in Mexico, moved to Texas early, went back to Mexico for middle school and have been back in Texas since start of high school.
MCAT - 521
Clinical Experience:
- 30+ hours of Spanish interpretation at MD Anderson Cancer Center as a course through my school
- Currently in a surgical program through BCM which will total 400+ hours by the end of the summer
EC's:
- Official tutor through my University for people taking O-chem, Biochem, P-chem, and Physics
Have worked as a car mechanic since a very young age, and worked summers before and after freshman year
Research:
- None

Schools I'm applying to:
Texas:
- UT Southwestern
- UT San Antonio
- UT Houston
- Dell Medical School
AMCAS:
- Baylor
- UC San Francisco
- Stanford
- Johns Hopkins
- Harvard
- Columbia
- U Pennsylvania
- Vanderbilt
- Mayo

I hope nobody takes offense to this because I know I have a solid application and don't have much room to complain, so please forgive me beforehand. However, it's pretty obvious that I'm applying to research heavy schools and don't have any legitimate research on my resume. I'm interested in going into research in the future, I just decided early on in college that I would rather focus on other things to figure out what career I wanted to go into and never got around to getting involved with research. I'm hoping that you guys can tell me whether most of these schools will look passed that, or should I consider adding some other schools that are less research oriented. Thanks for your input! Good luck to everyone else!

Keep in mind that most undergrads don't have research experience, and most who do pipetted gels for two years. That being said, you are applying to research powerhouses so a lot of people would have had some type of experience, mundane and amazing.

I would say they won't hold your lack of research as much against you as you think. You have an amazing app and amazing stats otherwise so I think that affords you some room. You have quality clinical experience (especially from this summer program it sounds like). So shine light on your clinical interests and experiences.

Now if you can afford it, add schools with clinical focuses. There are quite a few top schools with expressed interests outside of research. Plus, I think you need to apply to a few more schools anyway. You will get into a TX school, so if that's the goal fine. But if not, increase your chances a little by adding a few more.

Last edited:

MCAT - 521
Clinical Experience:
EC's:
Research:
- None

Schools I'm applying to:
Texas:
- UT Southwestern
- UT San Antonio
- UT Houston
- Dell Medical School
AMCAS:
- Baylor
- UC San Francisco
- Stanford
- Johns Hopkins
- Harvard
- Columbia
- U Pennsylvania
- Vanderbilt
- Mayo

Honestly you will probably be fine :) Most Top schools like leadership experience in the absence of research. But even if you don't have that your URM experience coupled with your stats and other experiences should be enough.

I would recommend posting in here too. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/what-are-my-chances.418/ ( there are really qualified people who can help you refine a school list.

Good luck! But you probably won't need any haha.