**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone with a low MCAT still applying this cycle? Or anyone who is retaking in August still applying this cycle?

Wasn't satisfied with my MCAT score and don't know if I should try to retake at the end of August or just wait until next cycle. I signed up for the Aug 25th date just in case. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone with a low MCAT still applying this cycle? Or anyone who is retaking in August still applying this cycle?

Wasn't satisfied with my MCAT score and don't know if I should try to retake at the end of August or just wait until next cycle. I signed up for the Aug 25th date just in case. Any advice?
How low is low? and how is the rest of your application if you don't mind sharing?

How low is low? and how is the rest of your application if you don't mind sharing?

500 :( and the rest of my application is pretty decent. I have great ECs and letters of rec. I am still waiting on my application to be verified. It should be verified tomorrow or Thursday.

Members don't see this ad :)
500 :( and the rest of my application is pretty decent. I have great ECs and letters of rec. I am still waiting on my application to be verified. It should be verified tomorrow or Thursday.

What's ur overall and sci?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I took my MCAT 3x so I'm kind of on your same boat. Did improve every time tho but still

I'm just here like "I got a 506" lol
I took the MCAT twice; got a 502 on my second try. GPA was a 3.1 coming out of college. Did a 2 yr post-bac and applied with a 3.65 midway through. So long as your EC are pretty good +/- research, MD is possible. Applied to 16, got into 4.

Just started a combined MD/MPH program. Please don't devalue what you bring to the table.

Reactions: 4 users
How's everyone doing? I successfully completed my application cycle a few months ago and I would like to offer my assistance to anyone that wants it.
Stay strong my brothers and sisters! In a year from now y'all will be MS1s!!

I'm STRESSED lol. Seriously, comparison is the root of all evil. As I browse these forums I am reminded of just how amazing everyone else is. My little light just keeps getting dimmer and dimmer.

How did you, and all others who want to chip in, manage to stay sane? And confident? And not cry? (Jk but like really though)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm STRESSED lol. Seriously, comparison is the root of all evil. As I browse these forums I am reminded of just how amazing everyone else is. My little light just keeps getting dimmer and dimmer.

How did you, and all others who want to chip in, manage to stay sane? And confident? And not cry? (Jk but like really though)

I'm feeling many of the same emotions!! Anxiously awaiting my MCAT score and working on secondaries in the meantime. But I cant help but go through these threads comparing scores and envying every who already has an interview.

Think about why you're going into medicine. Then hold onto it reeeeal tight! Secondly, get involved in things that fulfill you, that makes you ask honest questions about yourself, the world around you. Thirdly, stop comparing yourself to others, because it's what YOU do that matters. Lastly, growth mindset. Look to each situation and challenge as an opportunity to grow and be better than yesterday. Don't ever let that light go out!

Reactions: 2 users

Try to keep your eyes on the prize. Also realize and come to accept that there will always be others that are better than you (learn to be ok with that). In the grand scheme of things we are all so lucky and privileged to even be in a position where we can apply to medical school. Don't worry about what others are doing, worry about yourself and make sure to make the most out of your present. Try to distract yourself (and keep off SDN while waiting for results).

II @ Tulane!!!! Really excited.

Reactions: 5 users
I took the MCAT twice; got a 502 on my second try. GPA was a 3.1 coming out of college. Did a 2 yr post-bac and applied with a 3.65 midway through. So long as your EC are pretty good +/- research, MD is possible. Applied to 16, got into 4.

Just started a combined MD/MPH program. Please don't devalue what you bring to the table.
this is really encouraging, thank you <3

Members don't see this ad :)
Just coming through to show love and say good luck to everybody - yall got this thread really popping this year, which I think bodes well for your success in the application season :laugh::laugh:

If you guys need anything PM me - I'm not on here much since I'm on third year clerkships now but anybody who's been around these forums for a while knows I've got your backs

-Chem

Reactions: 9 users
Just coming through to show love and say good luck to everybody - yall got this thread really popping this year, which I think bodes well for your success in the application season :laugh::laugh:

If you guys need anything PM me - I'm not on here much since I'm on third year clerkships now but anybody who's been around these forums for a while knows I've got your backs

-Chem

Much appreciated! Send me all your prayers, I need them!

-Chem

Definitely appreciate you making a stop! I watched your entire application season and couldn't wait for my time. Glad to see you are still around. I will definitely PM you once I submit for info on interviews, etc.

Hope you are enjoying your clerkships, and do update about your specialty interests!

Anybody else get a letter from Northwestern encouraging to apply? Not sure if they're just pulling my strings.

Anybody else get a letter from Northwestern encouraging to apply? Not sure if they're just pulling my strings.

I did and I ended up applying. I considered applying to NW before, but felt that I was not competitive given my suboptimal undergraduate GPA. When I got the email encouraging me to apply, I contacted their diversity office to discuss my application.

I got the letter in the mail today. I wish it came before I had already submitted my secondary, though. Honestly, I applied knowing I wasn't very competitive to begin with. My MCAT is kind of passable, but my gpa isn't too hot. I'll see if I am able to speak with someone from admissions anyways and get their opinion.

I did and I ended up applying. I considered applying to NW before, but felt that I was not competitive given my suboptimal undergraduate GPA. When I got the email encouraging me to apply, I contacted their diversity office to discuss my application.

Would it be a good idea to talk about my app to diversity office of all the schools in applying to?

Would it be a good idea to talk about my app to diversity office of all the schools in applying to?

That I am not sure about, but I do not think it would hurt. I know of someone who called up diversity offices to discuss their application. I am overly cautious and I did it for Northwestern because it stated in the email that I could contact them if I had questions about my application.

Guess I'll apply then. Since I've already used my 15 slots, anyone know how much it is to apply to one school?

$38 per school
That's not bad at all, thanks! Also, did they consider you a good candidate based on your interaction with the diversity office? If so, what are your stats so that I can gauge myself lol

That's not bad at all, thanks! Also, did they consider you a good candidate based on your interaction with the diversity office? If so, what are your stats so that I can gauge myself lol

Unfortunately, I am not comfortable posting my stats on SDN. After the phone conversation, I was still encouraged to apply. If you are interested in the school, I would contact them before submitting an application to get a feel for if they think you are competitive. You will get an impression on whether you should or should not apply based on your gut feeling afterwards.

Another weekend spent in the library writing secondaries. And oh look... summer is almost gone. +pissed+

Unfortunately, I am not comfortable posting my stats on SDN. After the phone conversation, I was still encouraged to apply. If you are interested in the school, I would contact them before submitting an application to get a feel for if they think you are competitive. You will get an impression on whether you should or should not apply based on your gut feeling afterwards.
No worries man. Good luck!!

II to Baylor College of Medicine! God answers prayers!

Reactions: 9 users
II to Baylor College of Medicine! God answers prayers!

Congratulations!!! Baylor is a great school. I wish I could have applied, but I no longer have ties to the states. I know you have many more top 20 interviews and subsequent acceptances coming in the future. I think your biggest problem will be deciding which full scholarship to accept.

Congratulations!!! Baylor is a great school. I wish I could have applied, but I no longer have ties to the states. I know you have many more top 20 interviews and subsequent acceptances coming in the future. I think your biggest problem will be deciding which full scholarship to accept.
AMEN to that! The same and more your way by God's grace!!!!

-Chem

Thank you both for visiting our forum! Any general tips/personal insights on interviewing? Just got my first II at Pritzker and very nervous/excited/anxious!

Thank you both for visiting our forum! Any general tips/personal insights on interviewing? Just got my first II at Pritzker and very nervous/excited/anxious!
Congrats!! That is amazing, and I pray it is the 1st of many!!!!!
+1 on the interview advice.

Hey Everyone,

This marks my fifth application cycle and I can't believe I just discovered this thread! I'm glad to be here though and offer whatever assistance I can. Having yet to be accepted to medical school, I know quite a bit (more than I would like to know lol) about the application and interview process. So, please feel free to ask me questions; for, I'll be asking a number of questions myself! :p

Some info about me:

I am a nontraditional, African American female...
GPAs: 3.36 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA (3.54 if graduate course included), 4.00 gGPA
Undergrad Major: Biology/Pre-medicine
Post-baccalaureate: Medical Sciences - no degree or certificate received
Graduate Degree: Master of Public Health - Epidemiology/Health Education & Promotion (expected May 2017)
MCAT: 28 (10 PS/9 VR/9 BS)
ECs: 576 hours community service/volunteering, 96 hours teacher assisting (Anatomy & Physiology Lab), 56 hours attending/hosting clinical conferences
Research: 912 hours of undergraduate research
Other: 156 hours physician shadowing/clinical observation, 4588 hours medical/clinical paid employment

This cycle I am applying to MD, DO, Caribbean, and Canadian medical schools; however, I would appreciate some help as well as suggestions in finalizing my school list. Thanks in advance for your time and good luck to us all!

Hey Everyone,

This marks my fifth application cycle and I can't believe I just discovered this thread! I'm glad to be here though and offer whatever assistance I can. Having yet to be accepted to medical school, I know quite a bit (more than I would like to know lol) about the application and interview process. So, please feel free to ask me questions; for, I'll be asking a number of questions myself! :p

Some info about me:

Graduate Degree: Master of Public Health - Epidemiology/Health Education & Promotion (expected May 2017)
ECs: 576 hours community service/volunteering, 96 hours teacher assisting (Anatomy & Physiology Lab), 56 hours attending/hosting clinical conferences
Other: 156 hours physician shadowing/clinical observation, 4588 hours medical/clinical paid employment

This cycle I am applying to MD, DO, Caribbean, and Canadian medical schools; however, I would appreciate some help as well as suggestions in finalizing my school list. Thanks in advance for your time and good luck to us all!

Are you saying you've applied 5 different times to med school and each time have been unsuccessful??

Thanks so much! So, where is everyone applying?
Reaches: Harvard, Yale, Hopkins, Mayo
Targets: BCM, Northwestern, Washington St. Louis, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Dell Medical School, UT San Antonio, UT Southwestern, UT Health, UTMB

Thanks so much! So, where is everyone applying?

Pretty much any school that will take me (reluctantly or not) LOL.

I definitely think that adding DO schools is a great idea. You have a really good chance since a lot of the schools have MCAT averages in the upper 20s. I would also throw in a few "low tier" MD schools, including HBCUs, and in state schools. By all means, though, avoid the Caribbean. The last thing you want is to end up $200,000 in debt without a residency. From what I hear, Canadian schools are even more competitive than US schools, so I would avoid those as well.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your application cycle is going!☺

Hey Everyone,

Some info about me:

Pretty much any school that will take me (reluctantly or not) LOL.

I definitely think that adding DO schools is a great idea. You have a really good chance since a lot of the schools have MCAT averages in the upper 20s. I would also throw in a few "low tier" MD schools, including HBCUs, and in state schools. By all means, though, avoid the Caribbean. The last thing you want is to end up $200,000 in debt without a residency. From what I hear, Canadian schools are even more competitive than US schools, so I would avoid those as well.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your application cycle is going!☺

I definitely second that. Coming from a Nigerian who knows why 419 is permanently attached to our nation's description (unfortunately), those Caribbean school are a scam lying in wait for students to devour. Do not apply there. HBCUs are a great place to apply, especially with all your activities and experience. Once again, PLEASE stay away from the Caribbean.

I definitely second that. Coming from a Nigerian who knows why 419 is permanently attached to our nation's description (unfortunately), those Caribbean school are a scam lying in wait for students to devour. Do not apply there. HBCUs are a great place to apply, especially with all your activities and experience. Once again, PLEASE stay away from the Caribbean.

It's nice to see my fellow Africans representing this app cycle. It looks like there's quite a few of us on this thread.

Reactions: 3 users