2016 APPIC Internship Phase 2 Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So are there really going to be more interview invites next week? I'm waiting on quite a few and it seems like such a quick turn around before rankings. One sit has already told me they'll get back to us by next week.

Also, anyone else feeling like skype/phone is too awkward and hard to actually show who you are?! I had a couple during phase I, but with no in person interviews in between it somehow feels worse.

Members don't see this ad.

UAB is still reviewing aapis and contacting applicants. FYI.

So why are they calling to offer additional information? These calls are only to alternate applicants? Because they certainly were not interview offers :(

So why are they calling to offer additional information? These calls are only to alternate applicants? Because they certainly were not interview offers :(

FWIW, at least during Phase I, the interview process here was very non-evaluative. They emphasized that faculty-applicant meetings were for the latter to determine fit with the site, not much more. Many applicants felt that they already had everyone ranked. I'm not surprised you had this experience; I think it's a good sign that they reached out to you and you should rank them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So are there really going to be more interview invites next week? I'm waiting on quite a few and it seems like such a quick turn around before rankings. One sit has already told me they'll get back to us by next week.

Also, anyone else feeling like skype/phone is too awkward and hard to actually show who you are?! I had a couple during phase I, but with no in person interviews in between it somehow feels worse.

Yeah. I totally bombed my first phone interview... I get very anxious/nervous, and with no body language/eye contact, I'm dreading the others so much This process is true torture :(

Has anyone heard back from any of these sites? Much appreciated ;)

Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center
Institute of Multicultural Counseling & Education Services (L.A., California)
Grand Valley State University
Baylor University Counseling Center

I agree. I think it's also difficult to get a good sense of the site through a 30 minute phone interview. I've been banking on speaking to current interns to answer my questions.

Has anyone heard from the Children's Institute is Los Angeles yet?

Grand Valley State University
3/7 @ 12:50 pm EST
Phone call
Invitation to interview

I'm assuming that since Ranking day is quickly approaching that the less frequent updates mean there are less sites notifying now than earlier in the process. I've gotten only 9 interviews, 1 rejection, and 12 sites I applied to haven't sent me anything even though they are listed on here (so I'm assuming that's a no). But I'm still waiting on 6 sites. Has anyone heard from these last few?
McGaw Medical Center at Northwestern University (LGBTQ Health, 126212)
New Mexico State University
University of California, Santa Cruz
University of San Diego (NOT California at San Diego)
University of San Francisco (NOT California at San Francisco)
Wellspan Behavioral Health

It's driving me nuts to have ?'s on my list, and I really wish all sites were required to give a yes or no this phase!

I'm assuming that since Ranking day is quickly approaching that the less frequent updates mean there are less sites notifying now than earlier in the process. I've gotten only 9 interviews, 1 rejection, and 12 sites I applied to haven't sent me anything even though they are listed on here (so I'm assuming that's a no). But I'm still waiting on 6 sites. Has anyone heard from these last few?

It's driving me nuts to have ?'s on my list, and I really wish all sites were required to give a yes or no this phase!

I'm waiting on all the same ones, except sub out McGaw for U of Idaho. I'm ready to just know it all. Glad to hear someone else is waiting, but it sucks nonetheless. I had also heard that Wellspan makes you come in person to interviews, but they can't expect that at this point, right?

Still waiting on San Francisco and Santa Cruz. How many interviews were you hoping for? 9 seems like a lot.

It's also kind of noteworthy in my mind if a site is unable to provide a response by this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waiting on all the same ones, except sub out McGaw for U of Idaho. I'm ready to just know it all. Glad to hear someone else is waiting, but it sucks nonetheless. I had also heard that Wellspan makes you come in person to interviews, but they can't expect that at this point, right?

I heard the same about Wellstone :( and I interviewed with Idaho during phase 1, which included a Skype interview and a site visit. Let me know if you want any input on the site.

Still waiting on San Francisco and Santa Cruz. How many interviews were you hoping for? 9 seems like a lot.

Ha, yea it is a lot, especially in this time frame. Upon re-reading, it sounds like I was expecting many more. The "only" was mostly in reference to the number of sites I heard nothing from at all ;)

I heard the same about Wellstone :( and I interviewed with Idaho during phase 1, which included a Skype interview and a site visit. Let me know if you want any input on the site.

Thank you, I'll let you know if I even end up with an interview, haha

9 is alot of interviews!!! Which is great :) I received 4 in this round, which is more than I received in Phase 1. How has anyone else's experience been in this round? Good number of interviews?

9 is alot of interviews!!! Which is great :) I received 4 in this round, which is more than I received in Phase 1. How has anyone else's experience been in this round? Good number of interviews?

I have seven interviews so far. Waiting on one more site. Still super nervous about matching, as only one of the sites has more than one spot!

I have 9 interviews and Im still waiting on those 3 california counseling centers too (U San Diego, U SF, and UC Santa Cruz).
Its so rough going through this when all my friends are done. You guys have been a great support! Keep on keeping on, we'll get through this!

I have 9 interviews and Im still waiting on those 3 california counseling centers too (U San Diego, U SF, and UC Santa Cruz).
Its so rough going through this when all my friends are done. You guys have been a great support! Keep on keeping on, we'll get through this!

9 for me as well at UCC's. Can't wait for this to be over and hopefully with good news for us this time.

I ended up with 9 interviews as well! Really hoping that we all get good news this time :). Haven't heard anything from four sites, but they're all listed here so I'm assuming they'll be a no.
Also just wanted to let you all know that I haven't heard anything about any of the sites you mentioned. Things are definitely slowing down! Didn't want you to think that maybe those notifications had gone out but the thread just hadn't been updated. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know anything about University of Southern Illinois? They seem like an amazing program and I don't want to judge them based on open spots in phase 2 (because I am also still up for grabs, haha) but why do they still have 4/6 spots still open? Any insight would be appreciated!

Anyone know anything about University of Southern Illinois? They seem like an amazing program and I don't want to judge them based on open spots in phase 2 (because I am also still up for grabs, haha) but why do they still have 4/6 spots still open? Any insight would be appreciated!

I interviewed with them in Phase I and again in Phase II. My program has historically placed interns there, including a current intern. I contacted her about not being ranked in Phase I, and she said she didn't know much about the ranking process, but encouraged me to reapply. My training director said that sometimes programs will rank a very small number of applicants in Phase I in an attempt to get the right "mix" of interns or to gain some control over the process. I also think they are a great site. I did a site visit in Phase I also - Dr. Scott and the other staff are friendly and their building/campus are beautiful. It's surrounded by a lot of "nothing," but actually has a lot of amenities, shops, restaurants, etc. in town. I'd definitely recommend it.

I interviewed with them in Phase I and again in Phase II. My program has historically placed interns there, including a current intern. I contacted her about not being ranked in Phase I, and she said she didn't know much about the ranking process, but encouraged me to reapply. My training director said that sometimes programs will rank a very small number of applicants in Phase I in an attempt to get the right "mix" of interns or to gain some control over the process. I also think they are a great site. I did a site visit in Phase I also - Dr. Scott and the other staff are friendly and their building/campus are beautiful. It's surrounded by a lot of "nothing," but actually has a lot of amenities, shops, restaurants, etc. in town. I'd definitely recommend it.

Thank you so much for replying! That's so great to hear. Did you get a chance to talk to the interns to get a feel for how they felt about it? The supervisors all seemed so great on the call, I just was a little concerned that to speak to an intern I would have to get in touch with them first, so it made me feel like they were trying to hide something. I'm probably just overthinking everything because this second phase feels so rushed. It would make sense if they only ranked a small number that they would still be looking to fill more spots.

Just saw that you said you know a current intern, so is that current intern happy? I assume yes, or you wouldn't have applied.

Has anyone heard from Battle Creek VAMC? I would assume interview offers were extended by now, but who knows?

My training director said that sometimes programs will rank a very small number of applicants in Phase I in an attempt to get the right "mix" of interns or to gain some control over the process.

I'm not sure that I understand this logic

Thank you so much for replying! That's so great to hear. Did you get a chance to talk to the interns to get a feel for how they felt about it? The supervisors all seemed so great on the call, I just was a little concerned that to speak to an intern I would have to get in touch with them first, so it made me feel like they were trying to hide something. I'm probably just overthinking everything because this second phase feels so rushed. It would make sense if they only ranked a small number that they would still be looking to fill more spots.

Just saw that you said you know a current intern, so is that current intern happy? I assume yes, or you wouldn't have applied.

Yes, she seems really happy there and had lots of positive things to say about the program. Here are some key points from what she said:

Strengths: integration with the student health center (psychiatry & primary care), team atmosphere, everyone is welcoming, a wide range of presenting problems and identities & contexts, the group program (especially the DBT program).

Limitations: lack of assessment opportunities - there is no formal psychological assessment beyond CCAPS.

Carbondale is a small town with some good hippie vibes, but relatively rural. It is definitely a slower pace of life and has a small town feel. Luckily it is a short drive from St. Louis, Louisville, or Nashville for a weekend trip. Also, Chicago is a short train ride away. My apartment/condo is new and affordable, which is a perk of a small town! There are some good restaurants in Carbondale area and wineries. Southern Illinois has beautiful parks and is great for hiking and outdoors activities. As much as we interns joke that Carbondale is a small town, the benefits of the training program far outweigh what the small town might be lacking.

I'm not sure that I understand this logic

Agreed, I think it's a good way to end up with extra stress and headaches during Phase II. I don't know that only ranking a very small number of people is what SIU did, or what qualities they looked for when ranking. From my brief talk with my training director about the practice, I learned that in general, programs may want to get a mix of interns of different theoretical orientations, genders, strengths, interests, etc. So, they may interview 40 people, but then only rank a few people from each category in an effort to not have 6 interns who are all females who use interpersonal theories and want to run a DBT group.

Yes, she seems really happy there and had lots of positive things to say about the program. Here are some key points from what she said:

Strengths: integration with the student health center (psychiatry & primary care), team atmosphere, everyone is welcoming, a wide range of presenting problems and identities & contexts, the group program (especially the DBT program).

Limitations: lack of assessment opportunities - there is no formal psychological assessment beyond CCAPS.

Carbondale is a small town with some good hippie vibes, but relatively rural. It is definitely a slower pace of life and has a small town feel. Luckily it is a short drive from St. Louis, Louisville, or Nashville for a weekend trip. Also, Chicago is a short train ride away. My apartment/condo is new and affordable, which is a perk of a small town! There are some good restaurants in Carbondale area and wineries. Southern Illinois has beautiful parks and is great for hiking and outdoors activities. As much as we interns joke that Carbondale is a small town, the benefits of the training program far outweigh what the small town might be lacking.

Thank you!! So helpful!!

Has anyone heard from Miami Dade County Community Action & Human Services Department? Are you guys going to rank sites that you have not heard anything from?

Are you guys going to rank sites that you have not heard anything from?

I decided to rank some of the sites I didn't hear anything from (the ones I really liked). Not sure how realistic it is, but it can't hurt!

Just finished my last interview. Are you all ranking APA only? I'm nervous that I still won't match.

Just finished my last interview. Are you all ranking APA only? I'm nervous that I still won't match.

I went back and forth on this all weekend. Ended up ranking only one unaccredited site at the bottom of my list, and I'm still a little nervous about matching there so I may take it off. It looks like most postdocs in my area of interest really prefer an accredited internship, so I may be better off rolling the dice and trying again next year.

I decided to rank some of the sites I didn't hear anything from (the ones I really liked). Not sure how realistic it is, but it can't hurt!

I just ranked the ones that I got interviews with. Hope that helps!

I only applied to APA-accredited sites, as it's my program's policy. I share your nervousness about matching!! After interviewing at a few sites I was rejected from in Phase I, I am super invested in going on internship. Fingers crossed for us all!

Would any former Phase II applicants be willing to share how many interviews they had and whether or not they matched? I would like some anecdotal evidence to relieve some of my anxiety. ;-)

Would any former Phase II applicants be willing to share how many interviews they had and whether or not they matched? I would like some anecdotal evidence to relieve some of my anxiety. ;-)

There's a lot of anectdotal evidence on last year's Phase 2 thread.

I ranked some non APA sites too. Good luck to everyone on Monday!

I had around 9-11 interviews during Phase II and matched at my number 2:) good luck.

2 days! Can't wait for this stressful extended waiting period to be over! Good luck to all my fellow phase II applicants.

Also, big shout out to programs that decided to officially inform applicants of not receiving an interview on ranking day--that sure was a nice pick-me up. :dead:

Last edited:
AHH the schedule of events email we just got from Greg Keilin made everything very real for me. Good luck, guys!!

I wish you all best of luck on Monday. May you hear from the site of your dreams!

Reactions: 3 users
I really want this process to be over! Hopefully it will be by tomorrow :) These last few hours feel much tougher than phase I. What are you guys doing to get past the next few hours? I'm having a dinner party, so trying to stress over getting the house clean and food cooked instead of tomorrow's outcome. Kind of wish I just took the day off to watch movies and stuff my face...

I was trying to do some work on my dissertation, but that didn't work out so well lol. Now I'm binge watching old episodes of Fringe, eating ice cream, and watching the clock and wishing it would move more quickly :). This is definitely worse than it was in Phase 1.

Happy Match Day Eve 2 everyone!

Fingers crossed for everybody who's going through phase II! :xf::luck:

I'm freaking out, but I know that I was taking a huge risk applying to very competitive sites. I wish you all luck, but if things don't work out, hang in there. We all deserve the training we need/want!

Good luck everybody! And thank you to everyone who offered helpful advice and encouragement about Phase II!

Thinking of all of you phase II'ers! I was in your position last year and I know how rough it is. Best of luck tomorrow, I hope things turn out how you want them to!:luck: :luck:

Wishing all of you participating in Phase 2 good luck tomorrow ... er, actually, it's today already. You'll find out in about 7-8 hours where you're headed. And if by chance you don't match, there's always the Post-Match Vacancy Service ... but I'm pretty sure you'll match because you're all awesome!:luck::luck::luck: