2016 APPIC Internship Phase 2 Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good morning everybody!! Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do we really have to wait until 10am?? Oh the torture! :bang:

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched! Good luck to everyone!! And remember, no matter what, this process sucks!

Reactions: 8 users
I matched as well! I'm so happy and relieved! Good luck to those still waiting - hope good news arrives for you soon!

Reactions: 7 users
I matched as well!! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Matched here too. So happy for everyone that matched.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats everyone to matched! I matched as well!! And thank you RobinSparkles for creating this forum. You have all been a tremendously support. To those who didn't match, my thoughts and support are here for you. Never give up!!

:clap::clap::banana::banana:

Reactions: 5 users
Do we wait for the site to contact us or can we stalk them yet? lol
Super antsy waiting for the call!!

Do we wait for the site to contact us or can we stalk them yet? lol
Super antsy waiting for the call!!
Sites are not to contact candidates until after 11 am EST. It IS hard to wait but they will be in touch.

I matched too! Congratulations to those who matched! For those who didn't match, I'm so sorry that the system has failed you. Best of luck to you as you plan your next steps (lots of helpful information and advice on these forums), and take care.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations everyone!

when you haven't received a phone call and start catastrophizing that they made a mistake... :scared::eyebrow:lol

I just got my phone call, it is real! No mistake! Even if it were a mistake, it's too late for the site to back out now. =)

Reactions: 1 users
Wonderful, everyone! So proud of you and your determination. My friend also matched.

did you see this:

*NOTE: Due to unusual circumstances, one applicant who matched in Phase I was released from the Match commitment by APPIC and was eligible to participate in Phase II. The position that was filled by that applicant in Phase I was added into Phase II.

interesting?

Just got the call from my TD! It's real! :)
Congratulations to all of you who matched and to those who didn't, I am so sorry. This is a crazy system and despite the fact that it ended well for some of us, I know that's not the case for everyone. If there is anything I can do to help out with post-match vacancy, let me know. I know it works a little differently and I'm not sure what people have done in the past (or if this would be effective), but I'm happy to start a new section of the running list post and keep track of when people hear from positions etc if you want.

Wonderful, everyone! So proud of you and your determination. My friend also matched.

did you see this:

*NOTE: Due to unusual circumstances, one applicant who matched in Phase I was released from the Match commitment by APPIC and was eligible to participate in Phase II. The position that was filled by that applicant in Phase I was added into Phase II.

interesting?

I saw this on the stats from another year too and was wondering about it. I think there were 3 that year.

I received a call from two TDs. One from the program where I was accepted, and another from a TD at another program that left a message but had the wrong number. :droid:

And remember, no matter what, this process sucks!

I wanted to stay in a certain geographic radius in Phase I, but that radius was super competitive so I extended that range extensively in Phase II. I ended up with an incredible placement because of it. A better placement than I would have had if I matched in Phase I. This process, as unnerving as it was, actually worked in my favor.

However, I don't understand why they can't perform the match process the day after they receive the data. Why make applicants and internship sites wait an anxiety-filled week? It seems unconscionable with today's modern computers.

Also, there should be some kind of transparency in this match process so people know how they were ranked if they don't match. That, or there should be some kind of interview feedback. I understand that the latter would probably require too much work for internship sites to manage, but the former would at least give candidates the opportunity to troubleshoot their interviews on their own. It would be helpful to know if I was ranked high or low on some lists, or if I was not ranked at all. It would be easy to implement such a system via the NMS's database, and it could foster an atmosphere of self-improvement.

Hahaha omg who was it??? lol

d3aa92eeb2e4836e00d9245479bccaf9.png

I wanted to stay in a certain geographic radius in Phase I, but that radius was super competitive so I extended that range extensively in Phase II. I ended up with an incredible placement because of it. A better placement than I would have had if I matched in Phase I. This process, as unnerving as it was, actually worked in my favor.

However, I don't understand why they can't perform the match process the day after they receive the data. Why make applicants and internship sites wait an anxiety-filled week? It seems unconscionable with today's modern computers.

Also, there should be some kind of transparency in this match process so people know how they were ranked if they don't match. That, or there should be some kind of interview feedback. I understand that the latter would probably require too much work for internship sites to manage, but the former would at least give candidates the opportunity to troubleshoot their interviews on their own. It would be helpful to know if I was ranked high or low on some lists, or if I was not ranked at all. It would be easy to implement such a system via the NMS's database, and it could foster an atmosphere of self-improvement.

I believe the rationale for the week-long wait is that they're checking the results (perhaps some percentage by hand?) to be sure they're accurate, that the algorithm truly optimized matches for both applicants and sites, etc. I do appreciate that they've at least gotten rid of the prior process of receiving the, "you matched!" message Friday, and then having to wait until Monday to find out where.

I'm torn on releasing actual ranking data to applicants. On the one hand, as a former applicant myself, I can of course see how it'd be helpful. But there are all sorts of potential stipulations that sites may implement (e.g., only ranking one applicant from each school) that could "distort" data. And beyond that, I don't want any accepted applicant to think they aren't a "first round" choice, to know that their intern-mates were ranked above/below them, and/or to think that they were "picked last."

In the end, I think the current setup of interested applicants soliciting feedback from sites is about the best compromise available. As you've mentioned, I requiring that sites give personalized feedback to all unmatched applicants would simply be too onerous.

I'm torn on releasing actual ranking data to applicants. On the one hand, as a former applicant myself, I can of course see how it'd be helpful. But there are all sorts of potential stipulations that sites may implement (e.g., only ranking one applicant from each school) that could "distort" data. And beyond that, I don't want any accepted applicant to think they aren't a "first round" choice, to know that their intern-mates were ranked above/below them, and/or to think that they were "picked last."

In the end, I think the current setup of interested applicants soliciting feedback from sites is about the best compromise available. As you've mentioned, I requiring that sites give personalized feedback to all unmatched applicants would simply be too onerous.

I see your point. NMS could create an algorithm that takes the rankings and supplies an anonymous but useful metric to the applicant. That would remove the above issues while still giving the applicant a sense of how they might be fairing in the process. This data could additionally be provided with metrics from the whole applicant data pool, so the applicant has a comparison point.

I don't see how knowing where you were ranked would be helpful at all. It's generally devoid of context. A better route would be to inquire at the sites that you thought were good matches and see if they can give you feedback. We've done it at several sites that I've been at, and it's usually no problem. I see many downsides to releasing this data, and not too many upsides.

I don't see how knowing where you were ranked would be helpful at all. It's generally devoid of context. A better route would be to inquire at the sites that you thought were good matches and see if they can give you feedback. We've done it at several sites that I've been at, and it's usually no problem. I see many downsides to releasing this data, and not too many upsides.

That is great, if they are willing to give the feedback.