2016 Cycle Anesthesia Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anesthesia2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a long time reader of these forums but never felt compelled to post until now. To preface, I have researched similar threads on this forum, but none that I was able to dig up were either current or matched my situation similarly enough that I didn't feel the need to post.

I am a 4th year DO student applying anesthesia this cycle. I would like to go to a program in the north east in a big city, and preferably at a university program.

General academic background:
Well known DO school on east coast, top quartile of my class
Mainly high pass and honors on rotations
USMLE Step 1: Low 230's, USMLE Step 2: high 240's
Publications in areas other than anesthesia, doing anesthesia specific research now, hoping to get a paper out this Fall.

I wanted to ask whether or not you guys thought a top tier program would be out of reach for my app. Just trying to be realistic with my goals.

Lastly, I have read/been told different answers regarding how many programs one should apply to, what would be a safe number with my stats?

Thanks in advance to all who read this.

Members don't see this ad.

Several top tier programs have DOs among their ranks, although they are definitely outranked by MDs. Anecdotally at my program (which takes some DOs), you appear on the surface to hit most of what we are looking for: reasonable school (lower DO programs put you at a high disadvantage I've seen), good scores and grades (you need higher than MD-equivalent to be quite honest) and interest in the field. So at first glance you meet basic criteria.

Many programs are different, but several university-based programs (including my current program) are aiming for more graduates from top-25 or 50 MD schools in a possibly-misguided attempt to increase notoriety of their residencies. This has virtually cut out IMGs at my institution (this is from the central GME office, at some places a program has to get special permission to even offer an official interview to IMGs) and others, and DOs are becoming more scarce as well but definitely still have a place. Just be confident and friendly and on the surface you should be fine.

Probably off topic, but my DO friends all recommend doing an allopathic residency rather than an osteopathic-based one, at least for anesthesiology.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Low 230s step 1 is average for anesthesiology and it's worse when the applicant is from a DO school. It seems like 240s is needed to get a sniff at some name brand programs and you're not likely to hear from Mass Gen or Penn with 230s. So I'd say that top tier residencies are out of the question, especially since some of them don't even interview DOs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you looked into doing an externship/away elective at any of the programs you are interested in? Several of my classmates (although they MDs) parlayed this into a residency slot, so it might be worth investigating.

Thanks for the replies!

Probably off topic, but my DO friends all recommend doing an allopathic residency rather than an osteopathic-based one, at least for anesthesiology.
I have heard this as well, and plan on participating only in the ACGME match

Have you looked into doing an externship/away elective at any of the programs you are interested in? Several of my classmates (although they MDs) parlayed this into a residency slot, so it might be worth investigating.
I am doing a few auditions, 2 at mid tier programs and one at a top tier (my dream hospital :)) - hence the whole thread

Any advice for the number of programs to which one could comfortably apply with these sorts of stats?

Any advice for the number of programs to which one could comfortably apply with these sorts of stats?

However many ERAS gives you for X dollars these days. You should expect to require more apps than "average" to get the 8-10 interviews you should be shooting for. Sounds like you'll be fine as long as you don't go only for upper-mid to top tier. Apply a little more broadly than you think you should based on 230's/240's, don't get stubborn thinking you only want northeast top tier.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

I'm a long time reader of these forums but never felt compelled to post until now. To preface, I have researched similar threads on this forum, but none that I was able to dig up were either current or matched my situation similarly enough that I didn't feel the need to post.

I am a 4th year DO student applying anesthesia this cycle. I would like to go to a program in the north east in a big city, and preferably at a university program.

General academic background:
Well known DO school on east coast, top quartile of my class
Mainly high pass and honors on rotations
USMLE Step 1: Low 230's, USMLE Step 2: high 240's
Publications in areas other than anesthesia, doing anesthesia specific research now, hoping to get a paper out this Fall.

I wanted to ask whether or not you guys thought a top tier program would be out of reach for my app. Just trying to be realistic with my goals.

Lastly, I have read/been told different answers regarding how many programs one should apply to, what would be a safe number with my stats?

Thanks in advance to all who read this.

DO who matched to a top-tier east-coast program this past year, here.

Some places in East-Coast big cities and not-so-big cities I think you'd probably get an interview, based on stats alone & my experience last year: Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, Allegheny General, U of Buffalo, PSU Hershey, U of Rochester, Upstate, Case/UH. Cleveland Clinic and UPMC are less likely, but still possible, especially with your research and depending on your letters. I didn't apply to anywhwere in NYC, so can't comment on them.

Much less likely: UPenn, Hopkins, Duke, Brigham/MGH/BID

Feel free to DM me if you want to pick my brain a little more

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming if you have some new perspectives to offer!!