2016 DPM application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Galanm42690

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this site, so hello everyone! Basically, like any other pre-DPM student, I would like your feedback on my chances of getting into Pod school. I have all the necessary prerequisites except for orgo 1&2 and biochemistry. I will be taking those in the upcoming year as well as some filler classes to boost my GPA. Currently, I have a cumulative GPA of 3.04 between undergraduate studies, and the nuclear medicine technology program I graduated from last year. Also, I have been a pharmacy technician for 5 years now. However, for the last 6 months I have been working as a Podiatrist assistant/ Medical lab tech at a local Podiatry clinic (I took this job because there are no nuc med jobs worth taking right now), and I have developed a big interest in the field. What do you all think my chances are of getting in? My GPA is a little below average, but with my clinical and medical experience and letters for req from doctors in the field I think I have a good chance. P.S. I have not taken the MCAT yet. Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Without knowing your science GPA and your MCAT, it's hard tell. However, based on your cGPA and experience alone, I'd say you have a pretty good chance. I personally wouldn't take the MCAT without AT-LEAST having the first semester of orgo. I'd say apply early, take the MCAT as soon as you feel ready for it, then hope for the best.

Hope this helps.
- SDrJJohnson

Thanks! Science GPA is 3.22 if I calculated it correctly. I calculated it with bio, chem, phys, and math classes. I do have a couple failing grades from my first couple semesters of college because of slacking (only 1 being a science based class), but I retook them and got mostly A's. How would you recommend approaching the MCAT? I was thinking of taking a couple months to go over review books, and go over old notes and tests. I will, however, apply ASAP to the program, and I appreciate the feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Science GPA is 3.22 if I calculated it correctly. I calculated it with bio, chem, phys, and math classes. I do have a couple failing grades from my first couple semesters of college because of slacking (only 1 being a science based class), but I retook them and got mostly A's. How would you recommend approaching the MCAT? I was thinking of taking a couple months to go over review books, and go over old notes and tests. I will, however, apply ASAP to the program, and I appreciate the feedback.

I don't believe math courses are calculated into the science GPA. Nevertheless, you should be fine as far as GPA goes. As for the MCAT, everyone learns differently so it's hard to give you a definite method of studying. Coming from personal experience, I own TPR, Berkeley review, and exam krackers. I can personally say that the books didn't really help me that much besides just helping me become more familiar with the format of the exam. I felt that the practice tests and mock exams helped me prepare for the exam more than anything. My advise: take orgo 1 and become comfortable with it, take a few practice exams, if your getting the score you wan't consistently, take the MCAT, if not, continue to familiarize yourself with the topics on the exam and taking practice exams until you fell comfortable taking the exam. Key point: don't rush the MCAT!

Best of luck,
-SDrJJohnson

I don't believe math courses are calculated into the science GPA. Nevertheless, you should be fine as far as GPA goes. As for the MCAT, everyone learns differently so it's hard to give you a definite method of studying. Coming from personal experience, I own TPR, Berkeley review, and exam krackers. I can personally say that the books didn't really help me that much besides just helping me become more familiar with the format of the exam. I felt that the practice tests and mock exams helped me prepare for the exam more than anything. My advise: take orgo 1 and become comfortable with it, take a few practice exams, if your getting the score you wan't consistently, take the MCAT, if not, continue to familiarize yourself with the topics on the exam and taking practice exams until you fell comfortable taking the exam. Key point: don't rush the MCAT!

Best of luck,
-SDrJJohnson
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive math IS included in the science GPA. If you've ever seen BCPM thrown around, it's the same thing as the science gpa. Bio, chemistry, physics, math.

Your Science GPA is calculated based on these courses:

• Biology
  • General/Inorganic Chemistry
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Math and Statistics
  • Other Science
Your Non-Science GPA is calculated based on these courses:

• English
  • Other Non-Science
*from the AACPMAS website

Just gonna piggyback onto this thread, as I don't want to clutter the main forum up.

Is the AACPMAS application drastically different from TMDSAS or AACOMAS? I started the pod application last year, but never got around to finishing it, and I honestly can't remember the application format anymore. Just asking, because I want to have everything ready, come 8/1.

From what I have seen is it is pretty much identical to AACOMAS, but it is shorter, and easier. That was the 2015 application though so im not sure what the 2016 application will look like. I'd imagine something similar.

But does AACPMAS open on the first of August or on the first Wednesday of August (8/05)? Their website says that processing begins the first Wednesday of August, but what day can we actually start working on the application?

It opens on the 5th and we can start working on it on the 5th. That was my understanding from the email directly from AACPMAS.

Reactions: 1 user