This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImgEmHopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just hitting up all my fellow EM IMG hopefuls. I am a U.S. IMG . Just applied with a step1/step2ck/cs/us experience/citizenship. 250/259/pass1/U.S.cle/us-IMG I currently have 3 SLOEs from the same program. I'm doing one more ER rotation in October for a total of two EM rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Lol what do you mean. All my EM AMG buddies all have interviews already.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Like I know IMGs usually don't get interviews until after October first when our MSPE get released but I'm chillin in Detroit with no interviews so just reaching out to my fellow IMG EM hopefuls.

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaa I was only teasing ya...for what it's worth it's only day 2...and I'm a U.S. AMG sitting on a goose egg of interviews :) lol

Hahaa I was only teasing ya...for what it's worth it's only day 2...and I'm a U.S. AMG sitting on a goose egg of interviews :) lol

I'm sure you are going to kill it. . I wasn't able to get an second rotation until October so I'm nervous about the lack of diversity in my application. Good luck my friend.

Good luck to all. SGU 2009 Grad here. Matched near the top of my list. Loved my program.

So I couldn't get a SLOE from a academic program ( I am trying to schedule one but I could only get it for Nov) so I have only done one ER at a non-academic program and the director filled out the SLOE...I don't even know if that will count. And I just got a reg EMLOR. therefore I only applied to 55 programs. So bummed.... but ya i didn't think i had a chance applying to many programs. any thoughts? I applied to IM as a back up...

Oh ya score 250s, cs pass, US IMG. and grades are good.

Last edited:
Hey there. US-IMG EM re-applicant this year after not getting it last year. Currently doing a prelim year. At this point I have done 5 EM rotations at both academic and non academic locations, will be applying with 3 SLOE's and a good PD letter (last year had only 1 SLOE and 1 EM LOR, and I think that killed me). Applied every program except Cali. Steps are 230's, 250's, (Step 3) 240's. For what it is worth most EM IMG applicants last year didn't really start getting interview offers in large amounts until the end of Oct., then there was a lull, then a second wave of interviews in January.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey there. US-IMG EM re-applicant this year after not getting it last year. Currently doing a prelim year. At this point I have done 5 EM rotations at both academic and non academic locations, will be applying with 3 SLOE's and a good PD letter (last year had only 1 SLOE and 1 EM LOR, and I think that killed me). Applied every program except Cali. Steps are 230's and 250's, hopefully getting my Step 3 score this week (hopefully its not terrible, that test was a beast). For what it is worth most EM IMG applicants last year didn't really start getting interview offers in large amounts until the end of Oct., then there was a lull, then a second wave of interviews in January.

Hey So how many programs did you apply last yr? and did you get any interviews?

I applied to about 130 EM last year, got 5 invites, 2 waitlist in EM, ended up matching a TY. However, the only SLOE I had wasn't available until mid-October and I really feel that was part of what hurt my application. For what it's worth a carib classmate of mine matched with similar board scores and no SLOE's/away rotations so sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to the process.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to about 130 EM last year, got 5 invites, 2 waitlist in EM, ended up matching a TY. However, the only SLOE I had wasn't available until mid-October and I really feel that was part of what hurt my application. For what it's worth a carib classmate of mine matched with similar board scores and no SLOE's/away rotations so sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to the process.
Thanks for sharing. I guess at times it works. Most places I called said no Sloe means incomplete application so slim chance. But let's see how it goes

Someone form my school last year had 251/252 and EM LORs but no sloes. He got 6 interviews and matched. Another classmate of mine did both his aways in sept/oct his board scores were average and he matched as well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I read your posts last year on another forum. I remember reading your post and being surprised you didn't match. Right now I have no back up and am thinking about applying to TY. What did you write about in your personal statement

I read your posts last year on another forum. I remember reading your post and being surprised you didn't match. Right now I have no back up and am thinking about applying to TY. What did you write about in your personal statement

Ha! Thanks. You weren't the only one. The PD where I did one of my aways was really surprised that they didn't get me because they had ranked me highly (or so I'm told).

Anyways, when I applied to TY's I wrote about how the flexibility of a TY would allow me to make myself a better EM candidate because I could do rotations relevant to the specialty. Apparently my PD really liked that. The TY was my first ranked backup program, so I would HIGHLY recommend seeking out some quality plan B and C locations. I at least had the benefit of matching into a backup plan that I willingly chose. The scramble was a hot mess this year.

Last edited:
Ha! Thanks. You weren't the only one. The PD where I did one of my aways was really surprised that they didn't get me because they had ranked me highly (or so I'm told).

Anyways, when I applied to TY's I wrote about how the flexibility of a TY would allow me to make myself a better EM candidate because I could do rotations relevant to the specialty. Apparently my PD really liked that. The TY was my first ranked backup program, so I would HIGHLY recommend seeking out some quality plan B and C locations. I at least had the benefit of matching into a backup plan that I willingly chose. The scramble was a hot mess this year.
Yeah that's the plan. I should get on that. Just burned out from ck writing one personal statement. I had a really rough time getting even two EM rotations. I feel like my app is solid. The only thing is I won't do my second rotation until October.

You really need sloe for a fighting chance being an img. I know plenty of people who got limited if any interviews with late or no sloe
I currently have two SLOEs one from the PD and another from assistant chair. But there both from the same program. I'm doing my away next month because it's the only rotation I could I find. I upped my ante and applied to 151 programs.

So I ended up applying to 29
TY positions. All I have left to do is a write my personal statement. Thanks for the advice.

School: Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara, Mexico
Step 1: Mid 230's
Step 2 CK: High 230's
Step 2 CS: Scheduled in 1 week
Grades: Just above average
US clinical experience: Yes (1 year)
Visa: No (US resident)
SLOE: None :nailbiting:
LoR: EM (pending clearance to assign), FM, Psych + MSPE (Dean's Letter)
Backup: FM
Programs applied to: 117
Status: No interviews, yet (or rejections). I think my app is still considered incomplete cause of 3rd LoR not assigned.

Good luck to all applicants!

Last edited:
Got an interview today, it's in November.

I'm applying to EM next year, non-US IMS, was wondering if anyone knows of any hospitals that accept international students for electives?:S I've been looking for a while now and have yet to come across one.
Best of luck to everyone applying this year!

I'm applying to EM next year, non-US IMS, was wondering if anyone knows of any hospitals that accept international students for electives?:S I've been looking for a while now and have yet to come across one.
Best of luck to everyone applying this year!

I had to go the director of EM at my hospital and asked for help to get one rotation in July. The other I just went down the list on frienda spent a 1000 bucks in app fees and finally got another in October. I started looking in 3rd year like 6-8 months before my July rotation. You just got hustle. It's really really hard. My first rotation they really liked me was lucky enough to get two SLOEs from them.

Status: No interviews, yet (or rejections). I think my app is still considered incomplete cause of 3rd LoR not assigned.

I'm pretty sure most places consider your app complete when you have two SLOEs that's what the emails I've been getting from programs say.

What are my chances?

Step 1: 237
Step 2 CK: 242
Step 2 CS: passed 1st attempt
Visa: not needed
SLOE: 2
LoR: 2 EM faculty + MSPE (Dean's Letter). 4 LOR in total = 2 SLOE + 2 LoR
Backup: IM
Programs applied to: 95 mostly northeast coast - NY, NJ...
I'm still waiting for ECFMG to process the uploaded letters its been 5 days already since they were uploaded and i still cant submit them to programs.

What are my chances?

I'm still waiting for ECFMG to process the uploaded letters its been 5 days already since they were uploaded and i still cant submit them to programs.
It can take up to 2 weeks. I have only 2 SLOEs out there right now. Still waiting for my third to be written. All 3 of mine are from one rotation I did. The other is going from the place I rotate in October. I wondering if I should just use one of non EM letters as well. As of your chances from what I have heard 5-12IVs with your scores. I have not
Gotten any IVs or rejections yet either.

Last edited:
Applied to ~80 programs. Fingers crossed!! doubtful as my scores are avg and b/c we are IMGs i feel like i have a very slim chance but im staying positive

Last edited:
US-IMG S1: 227, s2: 234! cs: pass all on 1st attempt. 2yrs US clinical rotations. 2 SLOES just finally uploaded yesterday so until then apps were incomplete. Applied to ~80 programs. Fingers crossed!! doubtful as my scores are avg and b/c we are IMGs i feel like i have a very slim chance but im staying positive
People match with your stats. Most important you have SLOEzs. Are they from the same or different programs?

People match with your stats. Most important you have SLOEzs. Are they from the same or different programs?
2 different programs IMG helpful! and thanks so far 0 invites and 0 rejections! would love to hear others stats and IV's so far!

Non US IMG, Step 1: 239, CK: 247, CS Pass. 4 months US Clinical experience, Working as a researcher, Dept of EM at a US Academic program. Applied to 90 programs, 3 SLOEs from the same program, 1 LOR from a different program....0 invites, 0 rejections, 1 acknowledgement yet. I applied on 22nd Sept thou when my SLOEs were released.

Looks like most of us will be waiting a few weeks until the AMG have been scheduled first.

No I just got email from alameda saying the earliest there doing interviews is October 16th

US IMG. 2 SLOEs uploaded and waiting on the 3rd. 1 interview invite so far.

Reactions: 2 users
2 different programs IMG helpful! and thanks so far 0 invites and 0 rejections! would love to hear others stats and IV's so far!
That's a big positive. You will for
Sure get interviews. No IMGs will prob gett interviews until after oct 1st

US IMG. 2 SLOEs uploaded and waiting on the 3rd. 1 interview invite so far.

Prep congrats!! mind sharing your stats friend? What state is the IV from or if you don't mind sharing which program you heard from that be cool!

Prep congrats!! mind sharing your stats friend? What state is the IV from or if you don't mind sharing which program you heard from that be cool!
Thanks! 218/249/CS first attempt.2 SLOEs from 2 separate programs. 1 with a residency program. Pretty solid ECs. IV at the NYMC at St. Joseph (in NJ).

You have almost no chance without a SLOE, I'm sorry but just about all programs won't even look at the application without it. I would have a backup in place.

What are my chances?

You have a decent chance. But remember you will most likely only get about 10 interviews, go on them all and rank all programs. Better to have a job at a place you don't like than no job with EM.

Thanks! 218/249/CS first attempt.2 SLOEs from 2 separate programs. 1 with a residency program. Pretty solid ECs. IV at the NYMC at St. Joseph (in NJ).

Unfortunately most places won't count the 2nd SLOE as a SLOE but a regular LOR. It says right on there to not fill it out if you don't have a residency program. The reason is because the SLOE asks questions about objective criteria on where would you rank this applicant versus other students this year, how many did you recommend at this level last year. Those questions don't mean a lot if you don't have a residency.

Unfortunately most places won't count the 2nd SLOE as a SLOE but a regular LOR. It says right on there to not fill it out if you don't have a residency program. The reason is because the SLOE asks questions about objective criteria on where would you rank this applicant versus other students this year, how many did you recommend at this level last year. Those questions don't mean a lot if you don't have a residency.

So I wanted to clarify a little on this. The SLOE I got was a little different. While they did not have a residency program, they did have an EM rotation set up that constantly rotated about 5 residents from other specialities and at least 12 students at all times. They also had an EM Education Director who is well-versed in writing SLOEs and is the one who wrote mine. Technically the only rule now is you have to be an ER trained physician to write the SLOE. I spoke to multiple PDs at programs with residencies and was told the same by all of them, that while this does not hold as much weight as a SLOE from a residency program, it would still be considered because they ask how many students that rotate through your ED and how you rank among them. If a program still has a decent amount of people constantly rotating through vs a program where you just have like 1 student at a time, it still holds some weight especially if they have a structured education program and have a history of writing SLOEs. Also, the program that I was invited to IV at was the one who the day prior sent out emails stating they would not consider anyone without 2 SLOEs, so for at least them it worked (woohooo!!!).

I am totally not trying to be argumentative, at all. I just wanted to share this because it is getting harder and harder for IMGs to find EM rotations, and while it isn't ideal, I just wanted to let anyone who read this who was in the similar position as me or will be applying next year that this is an option. That it is better than nothing!

No I just got email from alameda saying the earliest there doing interviews is October 16th
Out of curiosity, why did you apply to this program which has no history of any recent IMGs matching? It seems like a huge waste of dollars if this strategy continues with many many programs.

Out of curiosity, why did you apply to this program which has no history of any recent IMGs matching? It seems like a huge waste of dollars if this strategy continues with many many programs.

:shrug: Can't be accepted without applying. Might as well try.

Reactions: 3 users
. I applied to 159 programs. I have really good board scores so maybe that will catch someone's eye. But you can't win the raffle if you don't buy a ticket. What did we do Med school for........residency. 200k in tution and whats an extra grand in app fees. I see it as an operational expense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully this thread starts to see some action!! in a positive way :)

I want to apply to TY programs as a backup. How many did u apply to last year?, Did u give preference to programs that also have an EM residency?, Were your lors specifically directed to EM or did u get separate lors for TY programs? Also did you write a separate personal statement for TY programs? It would be a real help if you could provide this information. Thank you!