2016 Match Sets Record for Family Medicine Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

It's only going to get better and better.
Bountiful job opportunities, more emphasis on primary care/prevention, salaries rising due to high demand across the country. Plus, if a guy like me can go from not enjoying it in Med school and switching from a limited patient oriented specialty to Family Medicine and really love it, I think anyone can if they go into it with an open mind.

Reactions: 2 users
"U.S. seniors accounted for 1,481, or 48 percent, of the family medicine positions filled. That was an increase of 59 U.S. grads compared to 2015 and marked the largest single-year bump in four years. The number of U.S. seniors matching into family medicine was nearly 400 more than in 2009, the year before the seven-year stretch of improving match rates began."

US Seniors have taken 45-48% since approx 2010 according to the graph. Things havn't changed all that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Article implies more M4s are choosing FM. Disingenuous. More positions offered and filled doesn't equate to more students choosing FM. Why bitch out on it? Is this supposed to make people think FM is more popular? Is it protecting federal funding? I think it's better if it seems like primary care docs can do math and like being honest, personally.

Are there more FM positions than ever before? Yes. True of lots of specialties so wtf?
Are there more FM positions as a percentage of total positions in all specialties? Yes, by .05%. Wtf.
Did more US MDs match FM than in 2014? Yes, 7 more. Rounding error?
Did more total US MDs match than in 2014? Yes, 533 more. That means there's less interest in FM by US MDs.
Are there more US MDs matching FM as a percentage of how US MDs match? No, down by 0.3%.
Are there more DOs matching FM as a percentage of how DOs match? Yeah, up 0.5% from 2014, flat trend since 2011.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate the response by DrMidlife. It doesn't help anyone to spin the facts. We should all try to be just as informed. If there is a counter to her assertions, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:
Female. See NRMP.org for the official numbers and do with them what you like.